Project: Galaxy 4.75

That would have probably been wise. I saw it there, and yet strangely I thought it was going to be more expensive but as it turns out I only saved like $30 or so. Well, I suppose if I buy a second one I'll be sure to get it from Newegg.ca.

Saw this Monday, so I don't know if it's still valid, but Newegg.CA had a coupon.

Newegg.ca - $20 off any order, in Canada
For Canadian customers, $20 off any $20+ order with coupon code NEWEGGCA20

so i'm crusing ebay for some rackmount stuff when i come across this case: http://www.plinkusa.net/web4121.htm The same case is avail on ebay for cheaper and I can use Cashback live on ebay... so... :-D
it looks eerily similar to the Norco 4020, but the backplane looks a bit different. Due to the cheap sata cards I picked up, I have limited length on my sata cables. For those with current Norco 4020s, are the sata connectors bunched on the bottom/left side of the case or are they spread out? The IPC-4121 shows them spread out, but it looks like the Norco ones are bunched together. I would like to buy the stuff on ebay to use the cashback live. But only if the backplane works. If it doesn't then I'll have to hunt down longer fanout cables or get a whole new system... in addition to the exisiting...
Once I get the case and psu, ill be ready to start my worklog and wait for the 1TB drives to drop to 100$ this holiday season.

I think there are several norco models. The one I ended up getting doesn't have separate ports for SAS/SATA and all the cables plug into the right side (looking at it from the back). Here is a high res pic:

Also, I like my drives in read order (left to right top to bottom) so I suggest putting the cables in the opposite order it lists to. I ended up re-doing my cables since the two SF-8087 to 4 SATA cables I bought didn't work my areca and I fixed the order when I had to unhook all the sata cables and re-hook them.

I just received mine from plink/ebay... it is the version with 5 backplanes pictured above. My fanout cables have just enough length... however, i just realized my cpus are 604 pins while my mobo is 603 pins... :-/ sigh... now i have to figure out something else... i just need some low wattage cpus w/ some pci-x slots for linux sraid...

initial observations: wish trays were screwless, wish i could fit a hard drive in the slim floppy area, wish i knew wut this L bracket thing was used for, wish i had a brief diagram of the brackets...
I would like to see a shallow version of this thats like 20inches or less... or have one just as an external enclosure using bridge boards...

i wonder if they're going to release a separate version for sas drives or for multilane adapters to cut down on cables... or use sas expanders???

yeah... i need to find a 604 mobo with 5 pci-x slots.... or some low wattage 603 cpus... or sell it all and do something else...

wish i could fit a hard drive in the slim floppy area, wish i knew wut this L bracket thing was used for, wish i had a brief diagram of the brackets..

Surely an HDD will fit in the slim floppy area? It wouldn't be pretty, but there has to be room there to jury-rig something.

What L bracket thing? That I don't understand.

Who all has the dim activity LEDs and what to the blackplanes look like on those versions?

Who all has the dim activity LEDs and what to the blackplanes look like on those versions?

I am the one (only 3 of the LEDs have visible activity without being 1 inch away from the case and the lights turned off). I have the model in the picture i posted above.

I am the one (only 3 of the LEDs have visible activity without being 1 inch away from the case and the lights turned off). I have the model in the picture i posted above.

Same here. I also have the same version as you, and have this problem. Also the activity LED for the last drive (bottom left) seems to be always on, but this could be caused by the lights from my motherboard.

Same here. I also have the same version as you, and have this problem. Also the activity LED for the last drive (bottom left) seems to be always on, but this could be caused by the lights from my motherboard.

Same... Activity LED's need a magnifying glass to be seen. Its the model with 5 backplanes, SAS connectors (so 20 connectors in total, not 40).

Bloody annoying.

in the accessory images at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ption=NORCO RPC-4020 4U Rackmount Server Case
the 4 brackets in the middle, i only received one and im not sure wut to do with it...it looks like a bracket for a hard drive or floppy drive or something, but im not sure wut to do with just one...

The newegg shows the older revision. The one you have is the better new and improved version. All you need to do is mount the one rail to the side of the optical drive and slide her in, the case has the other side bracket already built in... just mount this bracket to the optical drive and then screw down the set screw and you are complete.

it's for slim cdrom but you need 2 to mount it

The new version improved on the mounting mechanism, it doens't use so many little parts and the optical drives are way more snug and better fitting.

I have all the revisions and the activity lights are perfect on all of them.

My rack is now ready for more Ockie! I don't have dual 30 amps but the electricians just left and I have 2 20 amps to my rack and a 20 for my office.

Pimp Master Ockie

I have a few of those SAT2-mv8's where do you get pci retention brackets for those...Ive tried a few off of other cards im not using and they dont seem to fit properly?

Also I just one of those 8x5.25 2.5in hotswap from supermicro and was wondering if I just used one of the molex connectors on the back for power would that be enough for 8 10k drives?

Pimp Master Ockie

I have a few of those SAT2-mv8's where do you get pci retention brackets for those...Ive tried a few off of other cards im not using and they dont seem to fit properly?

Also I just one of those 8x5.25 2.5in hotswap from supermicro and was wondering if I just used one of the molex connectors on the back for power would that be enough for 8 10k drives?
Mine came with a standard and low-profile bracket.

Pimp Master Ockie

How many brackets do you need? I have a dead card so I might spare you one.

Yes, you should be fine with one molex, but personally I would run two to be safe. Do you mean one molex as in one PSU wire run? If so, then you should be fine.

Yes, you should be fine with one molex, but personally I would run two to be safe. Do you mean one molex as in one PSU wire run? If so, then you should be fine.

Yea I have one Wire from my PSU and it has three molex connectors on it...I was going to just plug 1 in and use the other two for my bluray drives.

Ockie, you ever work with 10GbE? I'm looking at upgrading my storage server and ESXi server with these. Even though I have 2 switchs with dual 10GbE ports each, I think I'll just link them together since cables are ~$100 each.

Ockie, you ever work with 10GbE? I'm looking at upgrading my storage server and ESXi server with these. Even though I have 2 switchs with dual 10GbE ports each, I think I'll just link them together since cables are ~$100 each.
You can pick up the Mellanox equivalents for ~$75 a pop on eBay. They even have 128mb of RAM on them. They are InfiniBand however, and it looks like that Intel one might just be straight ethernet (you can do ethernet over InfiniBand though). Cables are also considerably cheaper on eBay (unless you need something really long). Switches unfortunately aren't cheap it seems (though that's all relative...~$500ish for a 12 port isn't bad).

Can ESXi do ethernet over InfiniBand though and can I just run a cable between the 2 systems or I'd have to have a InfiniBand switch and subnet manager?

That unfortunately, I don't know. Maybe Ockie does? How much can you find those Intel NICs for?

Can pick them up right now for ~$650 each and wouldn't need a switch or subnet manager. I'm thinking either way right now, it's going to be about the same cost. I'm just not sure if the InfiniBand will work with ESXi. Any idea Ockie?

Alright, apparently those Mellanox HCAs I mentioned won't work with ESXi. If you feel like buying a license for ESX 3.5 however, they will work with that.

Alright, apparently those Mellanox HCAs I mentioned won't work with ESXi. If you feel like buying a license for ESX 3.5 however, they will work with that.

Just because something is not on the HCL does not mean it wont work....you are taking a chance but its kind of like vista/server 2008 its the same code base just with limited functionality.

Ask Sabregen he is VMware certified.

Too late, I ordered the cards this morning. They should be here around the end of next week.

Heh, I guess I'm late to my own party. I don't believe it will work, I've had some interesting issues with infiniband and I would recomend that you keep them for their specific niche groups. If you want 10GbE, just get some SMC tiger 10Gbe cards.

I looked at those and they were ~$125 cheaper than the Intel cards but were single port only and you had to buy the XFP module, which about the pirce of the card. Nice part was they do have a longer range than CX4 but then again, I don't really need the long range, it's all in the rack.

And how cool would it be to setup iSCSI MPIO over 2 10GbE ports?

I looked at those and they were ~$125 cheaper than the Intel cards but were single port only and you had to buy the XFP module, which about the pirce of the card. Nice part was they do have a longer range than CX4 but then again, I don't really need the long range, it's all in the rack.

And how cool would it be to setup iSCSI MPIO over 2 10GbE ports?

very cool indeed, but I hope you're doing a DA config, otherwise, you'll have to grab a 10GbE switch that can take XFPs. Not cheap.

Regarding the Mellanox cards, there's no Mellanox cards on the IO HCL, at all for either ESX or ESXi. I know that from my classes, they do support IB cards, but I cannot recall off of the top of my head, which ones. So did you grab the memfull or memfree cards? PM me if you need cables. I have 10ft IB cables for $2/foot..and I have about 300+ 10ft cables.

Heh, I guess I'm late to my own party. I don't believe it will work, I've had some interesting issues with infiniband and I would recomend that you keep them for their specific niche groups. If you want 10GbE, just get some SMC tiger 10Gbe cards.
Know of anywhere to get them for under $1k? I found some Dell rebranded 10gbit ethernet cards (CX4 though) for about $150 that I want to play around with. Maybe I can get work to buy them for me. :p

very cool indeed, but I hope you're doing a DA config, otherwise, you'll have to grab a 10GbE switch that can take XFPs. Not cheap.

Regarding the Mellanox cards, there's no Mellanox cards on the IO HCL, at all for either ESX or ESXi. I know that from my classes, they do support IB cards, but I cannot recall off of the top of my head, which ones. So did you grab the memfull or memfree cards? PM me if you need cables. I have 10ft IB cables for $2/foot..and I have about 300+ 10ft cables.
Mellanox has drivers posted on their website for ESX: http://www.mellanox.com/products/ciov_ib_drivers_vi3-1.php
There is an ethernet driver too, but it says you have to contact them to get it.

I went with the dual port CX4 Intel cards that are on the ESXi HCL. I have 2 switches with 2 CX4 ports and 2 X2 slots each that I could put CX4 modules in giving me a total of 8 10GbE CX4 ports if I need. But really, I think I'm just going to skip using the switches for the time being and just link the ESXi and iSCSI SAN together.

Will I have a problem using the Intel 10GbE CX4 ports for iSCSI MPIO in ESXi without using a switch? If I need to, I can use the 2 switches I have.

Mellanox has drivers posted on their website for ESX: http://www.mellanox.com/products/ciov_ib_drivers_vi3-1.php
There is an ethernet driver too, but it says you have to contact them to get it.

Ah. I was looking in the ESX/ESXi IO HCL from VMWare. So, you won't be calling VMWare for Mellanox support, you'll be calling Mellanox for VMWare support. That means that they will only be compatible with ESX, and not ESXi, since ESXi has no service console, but it sounds like that will suit your needs.

Back