Project: Galaxy 4.75

Ah. I was looking in the ESX/ESXi IO HCL from VMWare. So, you won't be calling VMWare for Mellanox support, you'll be calling Mellanox for VMWare support. That means that they will only be compatible with ESX, and not ESXi, since ESXi has no service console, but it sounds like that will suit your needs.

I'm going to stick with the dual-port Intel CX4 cards instead. You think I'll have any problems setuping up MPIO in ESXi though?

I got the 10GbE CX4 cards in today. Installed one into my SAN, just need to find the time to switch out the card in my ESXi box and then I can really test it out. You should make the leap though Ockie, so far it's sweet.

10gbehu2.jpg

Hmm, looks pretty good. I'm about to order one of the InfiniBand cards just to play with (since they are cheap). At work, we're looking to move all of our servers and SANs to 10gbit (workstations/IP phones would be 1gbit). We talked with someone from Extreme Networks and really liked their products. We will see how that goes. All you have to do now is set up port teaming. Might as well get 20gbit right? :D

LOL, I'm looking to make it 20Gbit but via multipathing and not teaming. Not that teaming won't work but Intel doesn't support iSCSI over teaming and I have 2 switches with 2 10GbE ports on them, so I can go all out on redundancy.

i have always been interested in "super computing" or "distributed" or whatever you would like to call it. but i have never been able to find info on how to implement it. do you guys have any links that explain it.

thanks, and sorry to whore.

sweet stuff here

I need your help! I just stuck the second card into my ESXi box and it won't see it. After some searching, I've found it's not on the ESXi HCL. This card is though, which makes me wonder why mine isn't since it uses the exact same 10GbE chipset as my card. Is there anything I can do?

not that helpful.

just cuz im new to this site doesn't mean im retarded.

i know java and visual basic, don't know if there is anything based on those?

Java and VB are programming languages and are completely separate from HPC. Honestly, wikipedia is a good place to start. You won't find that much on it in a forum like this because HPC is really reserved for medium and large businesses. It's not something that most individuals can afford to play around with (and few have multiple servers). Honestly, there is a lot to HPC and due to its complexity, it will take rather long time to gather information and research it, let alone get hands on experience (which will pretty much only be from an IT job if you are employed by a sizable company). If I were in your position, I would start small and then expand. You need to walk before you can run. Same principle with HPC. Many of us here, me included, have IT jobs and seldom deal with HPC (though I can't speak for everyone). Just give it time and you will find that there is a lot out there on it...it's just not the easiest thing to find.

i mentioned the programming because from what i have seen, people often have to write there own software or at least amend someone else's to make it work. i was hoping to find a link to an enthusiast site, or something of the like, so that i can do research, i don't plan on actually making anything for probably a year or 2.

im, a certified electronic tech, studying to be an engineer, just trying to be clear that i have looked into it and have some idea what is going on. i just haven't been able to find something like, use this program with this hardware and software... ect.

thanks for the help, just kind looking for something above wiki.

again sorry to whore.

:eek:

How do you find enough data to store on those drives?

:eek:

How do you find enough data to store on those drives?

It's not as [H]ard as you might think. Many years ago I thought I'd have enough space with 1.3TB, now I have 8.2TB and running out. It gets very easy to fill drives when you have the space. ;)

It's not as [H]ard as you might think. Many years ago I thought I'd have enough space with 1.3TB, now I have 8.2TB and running out. It gets very easy to fill drives when you have the space. ;)

Werd I never thought I would have a even 1tb of stuff now I have a storage server with thats growing faster then I can buy drives.

Seriously though, is it mostly movies that take up all those TBs? They must be either HD or you have a feck-load of movies you'll never get around to watching.

I record TV
I have my BluRay Collection
pictures and I backup my computers and my dads company computers with it over VPN

That and I like to have redundancy so I really only have like half of my advertised space used.

Heh, nope, no time soon. If I didn't have WHS, yes I would have, but now that I'm on WHS, there is no need to... so fluid. Right now I have all the storage in the world and I'm waiting on the 2TB drives to come out... I do hope that when the 2tb drives come out that I'm in a good enough situation to buy replacements for all the systems. Right now I've just been spending time, sweat, and money on my business (such as buying two new border routers and two additional 100mbit DIA lines, which are more than my mortgage alone each :( ).

Yes, as you can tell I'm obsessed with WHS.

Ockie-- Awesome logs.. I checked out your link showing all your builds and nicely done.

About WHS.. since WHS doesn't use Raid will it even recognize a hardware raid card? I have a areca 1220 and a 3ware 9550sxu card I wouldnt mind using..

Also, what kind of network speeds are you getting? Right now I can get around 100mb transfer from my box to the windows 2008 server box. Is anything like this possible with WHS?

Thanks a bunch and keep up the great work.
Zack

ZygoatD look at Rocks Cluster, probably the easiest thing to setup. Theres lots of stuff that goes into it. I think rocks includes HPL and some other benchmarks and crap pre-installed. Check the documentation on whats avaialble. Its neat to setup I guess but really what the hell are you gonna do with it, right? Look at Linux HA project for something that is a little more useful maybe.

About WHS.. since WHS doesn't use Raid will it even recognize a hardware raid card? I have a areca 1220 and a 3ware 9550sxu card I wouldnt mind using..

Zack

In my WHS box, I use a Highpoint RocketRaid 2340 and it works perfectly with WHS. You could also even set up RAID arrays (in the BIOS) of a hardware RAID card and WHS would treat it should---a single drive. This will work but is certainly not supported by Microsoft.. Personally JBOD is all you need and WHS takes care of the rest with the dynamic pool and backups.

Yeah, I don't know where they are getting that it's loud, unless if norco has diffrent fans in each batch. Mine is near silent.

Well I just got mine (ebay), and its a screamer :( I can feel the air from the fans like three feet away, and one of them rattles a bit :( Does anyone know of a cheap source of quiet 80mm fans?

Do you guys think the Low or the Medium speed would be best for this case?

I don't know the CFM ratings off hand, but I would look at high with the volt trick. That way if it's not cooling enough, you can always revert the volt trick.

Ockie,

Sorry to post my questions here, but I cannot seem to install the Disk management add-in for WHS. It does not show up under the Available tab in Add-ins. I have placed the .msi in the _Add-Ins folder.

TIA

BTW, is there a good software to test a HDD before placing it into my WHS box. I just bought two new 1tb drives, and I would like to test them before adding them to the storage pool.

My thanks for this thread, it is very informative. Am wondering does anyone know any online store that ships Norco RPC 4020 chassis out of U.S., in this case Singapore?

Ockie,

Sorry to post my questions here, but I cannot seem to install the Disk management add-in for WHS. It does not show up under the Available tab in Add-ins. I have placed the .msi in the _Add-Ins folder.

TIA

I also now have another problem. The Home Server Connector is showing up as red in my desktop's system tray. When I try to open it, it gives me a message, "A newer version of Windows Home Server Connector is available. To install it now, click Upgrade."

After clicking on Upgrade it searches for my WHS machine, but then come back with this message: "The operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact Product Support."

This has all started after I upgraded to a new router (D-link DGL-4100). Could it be causing it?

go to your \\whsname\software and install the connector software manually

steve

After searching a little but more, I found out that there was an update on 11/25/2008 from MSFT for WHS. It changed the version number to 6.0.1800.24

There have been other people experiencing my problem

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/9e02b32c-b571-4952-9c7d-3d3634ca8c63

At this point I will try different things, but it seems to be a problem associated with this update.

Edit: Found the problem. When I first installed WHS, I renamed the Add-ins, Connector, and Restore folders with a "_" in the beginning so that they would always be at the top of Softwares folder. Well, the recent update updates the files in the connector folder. Since I had renamed the folders, it could not update these files. Renaming the folder, and reapplying the KB957825 solved the problem.

Back