Project: Galaxy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
90mm, yes, but they also have to be 3 pin and they have to be thin or else they wont fit :( The only company I can find who makes silent ones are SilenX, but they don't have a great rep for airflow.

d'oh! :(

5.0 status is - Stalled/Scrapped

4.0 status is - Revamp / Make more efficient. Possibly more of a 4.5 due to some changes.

The new Green Drives are great.

Project to do update:

- Going to be replacing the two 600w SeaSonics with a SilverStone OP1000 I have laying around and re-wiring the system.
- Since I will have one PSU, I will be able to mount more drives in the rear of the case - Goal is 4 to 10 more drives
- The new addition drives will be backup drives for duplicating critical data with existing drives
- Adding window to the case
- Adding the new WD Green Drives and replacing the smallest drives
- Replacing the system drive (Old Raptor 36) with a Raptor 150
- Looking into dual Gigabit NICs for load balancing
- Possibly replacing the controllers with Multilane breakout cables, this will future proof the setup for a Galaxy 5.0 Introduction.

The Seasonic (I assume S12-600) PSU is great. That's what I have in my computer. But was 600 W not enough for all the HDDs you're going to put in there? Or did you just want more headroom that the 1 kW PSU will provide?

5.0 status is - Stalled/Scrapped

4.0 status is - Revamp / Make more efficient. Possibly more of a 4.5 due to some changes.

The new Green Drives are great.

Project to do update:

- Going to be replacing the two 600w SeaSonics with a SilverStone OP1000 I have laying around and re-wiring the system.
- Since I will have one PSU, I will be able to mount more drives in the rear of the case - Goal is 4 to 10 more drives
- The new addition drives will be backup drives for duplicating critical data with existing drives
- Adding window to the case
- Adding the new WD Green Drives and replacing the smallest drives
- Replacing the system drive (Old Raptor 36) with a Raptor 150
- Looking into dual Gigabit NICs for load balancing
- Possibly replacing the controllers with Multilane breakout cables, this will future proof the setup for a Galaxy 5.0 Introduction.
I knew you were going to do 5.0! :p

Are you still planning on no RAID?

The Seasonic (I assume S12-600) PSU is great. That's what I have in my computer. But was 600 W not enough for all the HDDs you're going to put in there? Or did you just want more headroom that the 1 kW PSU will provide?

Ockie had 2xSeaSonics 600W in there.

I knew you were going to do 5.0! :p

Are you still planning on no RAID?

Ockie had 2xSeaSonics 600W in there.

You're right, I missed the "two" part. So he's technically downgrading from 1,200 W to 1,000 W. But he has fewer components in the case (therefore less heat, etc.), which he said he'll use for more HDDs.

I haven't checked out Seasonic's Web site in a long while. I wonder if they make any PSUs greater than 600 W. Back when I bought it (2005), they didn't.

You're right, I missed the "two" part. So he's technically downgrading from 1,200 W to 1,000 W. But he has fewer components in the case (therefore less heat, etc.), which he said he'll use for more HDDs.

I haven't checked out Seasonic's Web site in a long while. I wonder if they make any PSUs greater than 600 W. Back when I bought it (2005), they didn't.

Keep in mind I am also going to be replacing the processor with a 45w variant and I'll be replacing the smaller drives with large green drives... so consumption should be significantly less.

Yes, seasonic makes bigger psu's, but I have a SilverStone OP1000 extra here... so I can reuse it :)

Ockie, how many of the green drives are you going to be getting?? I assume you are getting the 1tb models..??
Your power consumption should be great:)

Are you able to do staggered spin-up so you don't put suck a stress on your PSU during startup?

Keep in mind I am also going to be replacing the processor with a 45w variant and I'll be replacing the smaller drives with large green drives... so consumption should be significantly less.

Yes, seasonic makes bigger psu's, but I have a SilverStone OP1000 extra here... so I can reuse it :)

That's great, so you'll have more processing power and storage capacity but still use less power in the end. :cool: Even better you can recycle one of you existing parts (that SilverStone PSU).

lol

Ockie, how many of the green drives are you going to be getting?? I assume you are getting the 1tb models..??
Your power consumption should be great:)

Yes, 1TB's only.

Are you able to do staggered spin-up so you don't put suck a stress on your PSU during startup?

The newer generation controllers I have waits for eachother to boot first, so in effect they are staggered. The two older ones I have boot at the same time, but that is not a big deal.

That's great, so you'll have more processing power and storage capacity but still use less power in the end. :cool: Even better you can recycle one of you existing parts (that SilverStone PSU).

I can more than double my capacity and will use nearly half of the electricity. IMO this is awesome.

The newer generation controllers I have waits for eachother to boot first, so in effect they are staggered. The two older ones I have boot at the same time, but that is not a big deal.

I'm too lazy to look through the entire thread, what controllers do you have again?

I can more than double my capacity and will use nearly half of the electricity. IMO this is awesome.
Yes, that is awesome!

n00btard, that is pretty funny. I was wondering about the relevance to Prius, but it finally came over 9 min. into the clip. :D

I'm too lazy to look through the entire thread, what controllers do you have again?

SuperMicro DAC-SAT2-MV8

Updates:

I just ordered:

2 x PC-343B Rear 3 HDD Modules for an added of 6 drive capacity to a total of 36 Drives
1 x PC-343B Side Window
1 x PC-343B Top dual 120mm blow holes
1 x SCYTHE S-FLEX 120mm Fan (Matching the other fan)
2 x Enermax Enobal 80mm Fans (Matches the other two fans currently used)
1 x 120mm Black fan guard (Matches other fan guard)
2 x 80mm Black fan guards (Matches other fan guards)

Pictures will come when the parts come.

Welcome to Galaxy 4.5!

So, how much storage do we have to look forward to in less than a month? ;)

I though about a similar front for my (smaller) raid 5 (only 8 disks :rolleyes:) but those 5 in 3 bays are just soo fricking expensive, a lot of these bigger cases cost less than the 120 a peice, and you got 6 of them!! Crazy!

Anyway the sunbeam case I got has quick remove trays inside so its not too bad, just slap the sides on and the new drive slides right in, shame its only got 6 spots for them :(... Anyway for a budget computer I'm happy w/ mine ;).

lol :rolleyes: The reason I was asking is there's a 300 person LAN coming up in the middle of November, and I was hoping the extra storage space would be available ;)

So, how much storage do we have to look forward to in less than a month? ;)

Probably not much. I just don't have the time right now. I am trying to do this phase first, then add storage when it's complete. This phase also requires a shuffling of my other machines (just replaced the HTPC, and my desktop needs some changes in which galaxy would cannibalize from)

I have so much on my plate right now :(

I may just add a couple TB to get me going, ideally I want to add in 6 of the new 1TB green drives so I can populate those 6 expansion spaces... this would allow me to shuffle existing drives around and get them replaced.

Also, what kind of credit card statement does he have to look forward to in less than a month? :eek:

I'm so done with credit cards, the interest and the fact that you have to pay it back kills the rewards of having it early. It's like paying for an old thing :D

I'm so done with credit cards, the interest and the fact that you have to pay it back kills the rewards of having it early. It's like paying for an old thing :D
I hear you. But some CCs do have decent incentives, such as 1% cash back. However, that's a double-edged sword. I've been getting $25 checks back way too often, which means I'm spending way too much! :eek:

I hear you. But some CCs do have decent incentives, such as 1% cash back. However, that's a double-edged sword. I've been getting $25 checks back way too often, which means I'm spending way too much! :eek:

Haha, I know what you mean, I didn't know I recieved rewards since the other day... lets just say that Christmas will be a whole lot lighter on the wallet this year :D

I may just add a couple TB to get me going, ideally I want to add in 6 of the new 1TB green drives so I can populate those 6 expansion spaces... this would allow me to shuffle existing drives around and get them replaced.

You know, if you keep adding space, I'll never be able to keep up with you in regards to....ummm, I admit to nothing. :p

Picture Updates!

All the parts came in with the exception of the top fan plate :( So I'll have to go figure out why that didn't come with the order...anyways...

Window installed:

Parts!

PC-343B Hard Drive module:

Fans and grills:

Fans installed in module, ready to go:

Progress so far! Still need to dig up the old PSU backplate and push in the 1kw psu.

^ Nice, Okie!

The case reminds me of Black Box. :cool:

Are you going to post pics of those WD 1TB "green" HDDs?

Enjoy your upgraded project! :D

This is some serious [H]ardware pron. :eek:

Upgrades look very nice so far.

^ Nice, Okie!

The case reminds me of Black Box. :cool:

Are you going to post pics of those WD 1TB "green" HDDs?

Enjoy your upgraded project! :D

Those green drives I used in my HTPC.

Anyways, right now I am quite dissapointed since the price of those shot up to the normal MSRP of $349 :(

Looks [H]ot, as usual.

Have you made the move to 16-port PCI-e controllers yet?

I haven't gone the upgraded PCI-e controllers yet, that is something I am still looking at.

Update:

The Raptor 150 has been ordered.

Well, Newegg has them for $300.

clubIT has them for $287

And ZZF has them for $284 :eek:

Granted, these are OEM too, so are the prices.

Those green drives I used in my HTPC.

Anyways, right now I am quite dissapointed since the price of those shot up to the normal MSRP of $349 :(

Too bad those green HDDs shot up in price, but they'll eventually come back down. Good luck w/ the Raptor. :cool:

yay for getting in on the 250 (or whatever it was) deal on two of them at bb

Now that you have been using the new enclosures (4.0 vs galaxy 3.0) for a while, do you like them better? If so why? It looks like you got quieter fans for them also, how are they holding up? Were they easy to swap out?

Do you have anything you would change if you were to build 4.0 again (different PSU, different case, etc...)? (and I'm not talking about 5.0)

BTW, not sure where you guys are looking, but Memory Labs has the 1tb WD HD's for $285 http://www.memorylabs.net/wedihdwd31tb.html

Now that you have been using the new enclosures (4.0 vs galaxy 3.0) for a while, do you like them better? If so why? It looks like you got quieter fans for them also, how are they holding up? Were they easy to swap out?

Do you have anything you would change if you were to build 4.0 again (different PSU, different case, etc...)? (and I'm not talking about 5.0)

BTW, not sure where you guys are looking, but Memory Labs has the 1tb WD HD's for $285 http://www.memorylabs.net/wedihdwd31tb.html

The new hot swap units are way better, much smaller in depth, much lighter, much quieter, and also availible in smaller units for my other pcs so i can just swap in and out.

No, the fans are still original, the fan swap is super easy, but either I have to cut or mod the units to take regular fans or I have to get thin fans... which are hard to come by. SilenX offers the fans I'm looking for, but I don't trust the brand and the claims.

Is there anything that I would have done differently? Nope. Perhaps I may have rather gone with more higher powered power supplies and a 45w processor.

The new hot swap units are way better, much smaller in depth, much lighter, much quieter, and also availible in smaller units for my other pcs so i can just swap in and out.

Really? I have one of each (Supermicro 5-in-3 and i-Star 5-in-3, same ones you have, I think) and I think the i-Star ones... suck. :p Apart from being shallower and a bit quieter (not really an issue in the case I have them in) they're cheaply built, the drive caddies fit the cage poorly, the releases are annoying to use, the "locks" are damn near impossible, and they just don't feel sturdy.

I guess the noise is probably more important to you, though, given that one of your goals was "quiet" - the case I have them in is anything but so the noise the cage makes doesn't really matter to me.

The window's lookin' good :) I'll have to take a gander at it in a couple weeks :D There was so much going on at the last LAN I couldn't hear it to start with :cool:

No, the fans are still original, the fan swap is super easy, but either I have to cut or mod the units to take regular fans or I have to get thin fans... which are hard to come by. SilenX offers the fans I'm looking for, but I don't trust the brand and the claims.

So, your using the fans that came with the HD enclosures? Are they quiet enough for you? Early on i know you wanted to make 4.0 as silent as possible and you got fans that (i thought) were replacements for the HD enclosures.

Is this what your using - ISTAR BPU-350SATA (if not can you post the brand/model again)? Also, did you (or anyone else) try replacing the fans in the Supermicro 5x3 enclosures? I found the same problem looking for 90mm, but do they have to be 'thin' like yours need to be? if not, it may be worth looking again for silent 90mm's for the easier swapout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back