Project: Galaxy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I stop by and see what you are doing with your Galaxies, I have to wonder...Where does Ockie live and how good is his security system :p!

wow...

you have done a fantastic job with all the galaxies ockie...

hows the hummer? got any custom audio in yet (i know it doesn;t really need it) but my mates uncle is doing his with some 16 piece pioneer set or something so as long as you have enough cash, well you know...

how are the green drives coming? i would love to see a new set of drives in that thing...

wow...

you have done a fantastic job with all the galaxies ockie...

hows the hummer? got any custom audio in yet (i know it doesn;t really need it) but my mates uncle is doing his with some 16 piece pioneer set or something so as long as you have enough cash, well you know...

how are the green drives coming? i would love to see a new set of drives in that thing...

Heh, no audio, I'm not much of an audiophile.

The green drives are being installed, it's a slow painful process... taking forever :( I guess I have to be realistic when it comes to moving this much data.

Heh, no audio, I'm not much of an audiophile.

The green drives are being installed, it's a slow painful process... taking forever :( I guess I have to be realistic when it comes to moving this much data.

When I moved from 2tb raid 5 array to my 7.5tb raid 5 array, between hooking 20 hds up and powering it up, formating/building the array and copying the data, I spent almost 7days.

When I moved from 2tb raid 5 array to my 7.5tb raid 5 array, between hooking 20 hds up and powering it up, formating/building the array and copying the data, I spent almost 7days.

Good thing this is just full drives being dumped to full drives. I am going to worry about the re-sorting later, just trying to get the bulk of it over.

Still going at this moment... night day around the clock, lol. I've moved about 7tb of data now. Still a ways to go :)

I just got a dead WD 1tb, does not really instill sanity towards WD in my head, how are yours??

I just got a dead WD 1tb, does not really instill sanity towards WD in my head, how are yours??

I think I may have two DOA's. I need to re-check them tonight.

We may have just gotten a bad batch as we all bought on the same timeframe.

I think I may have two DOA's. I need to re-check them tonight.

We may have just gotten a bad batch as we all bought on the same timeframe.

jezz, I bought over 25 7200.10s (just at home, forgetting what I have used at work) and only had one fail in 6-12months use... I thought I would give WD a try again as the green drives are all redesigned, but is not looking good out of this order:(- I have yet to get a bad Raptor, and I have used 5-10 of them between home and work......

Be careful to keep backup, if you have already had 2 fail, you do not want to loose 1tb of data per drive:) Having 2 bad out of 10, makes one a little nervous about the rest of the drives out of the order!!

Well, I just double checked, it was one of the drives which seem to be DOA. Glad it's not two, or I wouldn't have the space to move data :D

I've got a bunch of these drives and they are doing great, I guess one bad one isn't so bad... I'm just glad it failed now rather than a week from now (knocks on wood)

Yep, this one drive is toast, wont even let me boot, stalls it in any system I try it in. Disk manager wont see it if i hot plug it... nothing, good as a rock.

RMA time :)

Transfers were all completed last night. System is backup and fully running once again. Time to make the next wave of drive purchase :D I bought some more 1tb's in between now and then, but it's time I hit a new milestone and have some space to at least do some backups.

I'm still looking for any other fan recomendations and perhaps other various recomendations to keep me going here... I'm itching on pulling the trigger on two 16 port controllers with multilane breakout as I encountered some more sloppy sata connections. It would be ideal to have a 5tb array as a strict JBOD for some added backup.

Ockie doesn't use money. He just tells them what he wants and they send it to him ;) :eek:

Speaking of Ockie and LAGS, one of the guys I work with has a connection (via 3 people or so) to nVidia, and is running a pair of nV 8900s... that's about all I know though. I should ask him for pics :D

20TB? How many GP drives did you pick up anyway?

I picked up 13 for the file server, two for the htpc (these i picked up on another sale a long time ago). I replaced the smaller drives, so far so good. I am very happy with the results. However, these drives basically just replaced the smaller drives (larger quantity of smaller drives for smaller quantity of larger drives), but still have the same logical space. So it's time to add more as I am still out of space.

I looked at the Highpoint 2340 controller today, but I am a little stuck with my motherboard selection as I would need something with more x4 slots (would like two controllers). Not sure on the next steps at this point honestly.

I picked up 13 for the file server, two for the htpc (these i picked up on another sale a long time ago). I replaced the smaller drives, so far so good. I am very happy with the results. However, these drives basically just replaced the smaller drives (larger quantity of smaller drives for smaller quantity of larger drives), but still have the same logical space. So it's time to add more as I am still out of space.

I looked at the Highpoint 2340 controller today, but I am a little stuck with my motherboard selection as I would need something with more x4 slots (would like two controllers). Not sure on the next steps at this point honestly.

Why not a couple of Highpoint 2240s? At least you can use the PCI slots still.

Could you go with a motherboard that has 2 PCI-e x16 slots and onboard video? Or even go with a PCI video card?

Why not a couple of Highpoint 2240s? At least you can use the PCI slots still.

Could you go with a motherboard that has 2 PCI-e x16 slots and onboard video? Or even go with a PCI video card?

Oh wow, I completley missed that one, I guess I have been too focused on express.

Hmm. This is cheap, works in 32bit, and does what I need. Super!

I am going to look further into these ASAP.

Oh wow, I completley missed that one, I guess I have been too focused on express.

Hmm. This is cheap, works in 32bit, and does what I need. Super!

I am going to look further into these ASAP.

Ewiz has the 2240s at a great price of ~404. The only thing is, they are multi-lane, so you need to buy cables. That is okay though, Ewiz comes through again. :D

Just ask me how I know these things? :p I've been planning a build with that for a very long time, but it is now indefinitely postponed as things have changed in my life. ;)

Ewiz has the 2240s at a great price of ~404. The only thing is, they are multi-lane, so you need to buy cables. That is okay though, Ewiz comes through again. :D

Just ask me how I know these things? :p I've been planning a build with that for a very long time, but it is now indefinitely postponed as things have changed in my life. ;)

Use froogle for ewiz price checks, it saves you quite a few bucks ($393 for the controller via Froogle discount checkout) ;) I kinda prefer multilane, so that when some day (someday) they come out with multilane hot swap units for standard towers, I can just upgrade... or when I get that rack case I've been dreaming about all year ;)

So you got a baby on the way? :D

Use froogle for ewiz price checks, it saves you quite a few bucks ($393 for the controller via Froogle discount checkout) ;) I kinda prefer multilane, so that when some day (someday) they come out with multilane hot swap units for standard towers, I can just upgrade... or when I get that rack case I've been dreaming about all year ;)

So you got a baby on the way? :D

The last time I price checked the 2240s was a month or two ago, and Ewiz was at $406. I didn't check again this time. Why not save some money and get the case instead? Well, I remember you saying it was several thousand for it. :eek:

I have no kids on the way. It's kind of hard when there is no woman in my life. ;) :( I was talking about a career change you goof. :p Being in school and no job = no money. :(

The last time I price checked the 2240s was a month or two ago, and Ewiz was at $406. I didn't check again this time. Why not save some money and get the case instead? Well, I remember you saying it was several thousand for it. :eek:

I have no kids on the way. It's kind of hard when there is no woman in my life. ;) :( I was talking about a career change you goof. :p Being in school and no job = no money. :(

The case I desire is quite expensive, too expensive for my blood. The case I was looking at not too long ago, would set a person back $5,000 alone. Incredible case, but I'm not quite there yet :(

Anyways, I am very interested in those 2240's, however, considering that I just made an offer on a new home yesterday, I may just have to wait for these controllers. Perhaps I can build a room for galaxy now and go all out since i'll have the power and room :D I can just read my new project log now "Ultimate geeks basement project, Theater, Datacenter, and a Computer Room"

The case I desire is quite expensive, too expensive for my blood. The case I was looking at not too long ago, would set a person back $5,000 alone. Incredible case, but I'm not quite there yet :(

Anyways, I am very interested in those 2240's, however, considering that I just made an offer on a new home yesterday, I may just have to wait for these controllers. Perhaps I can build a room for galaxy now and go all out since i'll have the power and room :D I can just read my new project log now "Ultimate geeks basement project, Theater, Datacenter, and a Computer Room"

Ya, instead of a case, you'll have racks for your drives. :p

Congrats and good luck on getting the house. Hopefully it has a functioning A/C! :p

My dream exactly, now to convince the wife :(

Kinda convinced the wife already :D

Congrats and good luck on getting the house. Hopefully it has a functioning A/C! :p

Got the house :) Time to start designing the ultimate geeks basement :p

With that said, it's now going to be a while before you guys see any upgrades on this project, but, rest assured, wherever I can, I will upgrade here. Now it's time to buy a proper camera so I can do log picture updates. :)

If anyone is interested in the existing SAT2 Supermicro 8 Port SATA2 controllers, please let me know. I'm selling them all in favor of a larger controller. :)

Yes. I'm looking at replacing these 4 controllers with 2 16 Port 2240's. I'm looking for around $80 a controler.

This is the cheapest to upgrade controllers and allows me to keep the existing setup without spending additional money. Also, I'm not too worried as PCIX slots are here to stick around for a while... the MultiLane cables and controllers also preps me for the next steps.

I am now debating on whether to do an entire system update focused on performance and efficiency.

I found myself drooling over the Supermicro SC846TQ-R900B chassis, although, it is a 24 drive array... but it has high efficiency PSU's, airflow, hot swap everything, and space for two internal drives and an optical slim drive.

Since I scaled back with so many smaller drives to large drives, I've been thinking about this more and more. This will allow me to take 24 1tb drives for a total of 24tb of storage plus system drives. Not only will this be more functional for me, but I can transport it much much much much easier.

Also, with this update, there will be a new controler as planned (however, it would most likley be the 1280ML - 24 port SATA w/ 2gb cache), a second system drive (another raptor for raid 1 perhaps), quad intel pcie NIC for NIC teaming, more memory, a Supermicro dual 771 w/ pcie x8& dual quad xeons , plus perhaps possibly a RAID 6 solution.

It would prep me for the big case I want later down the road, as I would simply just need to swap cases. Right now if I want to move over, I need to sell and replace a lot of things to get that capacity, plus i would lack the performance.

What do you guys think?

Oh here is a pic of the case (thanks to d3vy)

rackmount.jpg

Ockie? With *raid*?

Wow.

That's definitely an awesome looking case... sounds like you have a pretty good plan for it, too. I've been contemplating dropping the sat2-mv8 controllers I have for an LSI solution or something... but the rest of my system needs upgrading before that :/

With 1-tb drives, that's probably a pretty good solution. It won't be quiet like your current case, though, if that still matters.

One quick question, how much do you plan to spend on that all?

And how do you do backups with the system, RAID 5?

24 TB is crazy storage, its less of the galaxy and more of a super massive black hole.

Not hating, but what do you store on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back