Project: Galaxy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am almost ready to release some info, I am just waiting on another party to hurry up with their communications. I don't want to promise something I can't deliver! :cool:

Ockie, quit teasing. If you can't deliver, you shouldn't have said anything to begin with :p

/dying with anticipation :p :(

Ockie may I suggest a personalized license plate ;)
hummerplatecr4.jpg

LMAO alcuin. I was more thinking of "MyPrius" :cool:

Speaking of Prius (since you mentioned it), a friend told me he saw a Prius license plate that read:
F OPEC

:cool:

LMAO, he must really hate the oil industry :p I give a guy like that respect, I hate OPEC.

Anyways, as for the project, I am not 100% confirmed on the idea yet so I'm still waiting, also that and the fact that the stupid shipper never came back to me.

So as an idea hunting, you guys care to give some ideas of what you want to see? I am aiming for several milestones at this very moment,

LMAO, he must really hate the oil industry :p I give a guy like that respect, I hate OPEC.
Yep, I'm sure he hates that oil cartel, and like you, I say I can't blame him. :)

Anyways, as for the project, I am not 100% confirmed on the idea yet so I'm still waiting, also that and the fact that the stupid shipper never came back to me.

So as an idea hunting, you guys care to give some ideas of what you want to see? I am aiming for several milestones at this very moment,
I don't have any cool ideas, but just wanted to give you moral support. :p BTW, did you get your A/C fixed?

Yep, I'm sure he hates that oil cartel, and like you, I say I can't blame him. :)

I don't have any cool ideas, but just wanted to give you moral support. :p BTW, did you get your A/C fixed?

I moved out, right now house shopping. Seems like the A/C at work is acting up too... sigh, I can't beat the heat. :(

Well, here in Texas, if my A/C went out, it'd be like 95 in my house constantly. Glad mine hasn't gone out either... but I don't have a space heater for a computer like you do. :D:D

Natural basement cooling FTW!

Even though its like 85 up here without the AC on, its always 60F or lower in the basement. I do my hot computing downstairs :p.

Well, I would like to see you have WD's new green 1TB drives in your case (in all 30 spots). :D Then again, they aren't exact out right now. :(

I moved out, right now house shopping. Seems like the A/C at work is acting up too... sigh, I can't beat the heat. :(
That sux, well good luck w/ house hunting and finding good A/C somewhere!

Well, here in Texas, if my A/C went out, it'd be like 95 in my house constantly. Glad mine hasn't gone out either... but I don't have a space heater for a computer like you do. :D:D
I'm in TX as well and have had A/C running 24/7 since it stopped raining around the 7/4 holiday. My upstairs would be well into the 90s if I didn't run the A/C. :eek:

My attic is hot as hell. Cardboard boxes that I store up there are literally very warm to the touch. :eek:

Same story here. Why in the world don't people in TX build houses with geothermal cooling? Or even adequate insulation? Seriously, a $10k investment when building the house would pay itself off in just a few years around here...

Same story here. Why in the world don't people in TX build houses with geothermal cooling? Or even adequate insulation? Seriously, a $10k investment when building the house would pay itself off in just a few years around here...

I hear you. At least the newer homes have some energy star efficiency now. Homes 10-20 years ago are horrible, with people easily racking up $500/mo. in the summer for a modest sized house. (At least where I live in the D/FW area.) Newer homes from the past 5 years will easily cut that power bill in half, if not more.

I've got it! Your new house can be built out of hard drives! :cool:

(Or just a server rack thats filled top to bottom with 5in3 hard drive enclosures)

Ockie, I for one, would like to a rack full of those cases which hold 48 drives, with all them full of 1tb 7200.11s, maybe like .5PB!!!!

Ockie, I for one, would like to a rack full of those cases which hold 48 drives, with all them full of 1tb 7200.11s, maybe like .5PB!!!!

Sun makes a case that puts 48 drives in 4u. They sell it with 250 or 500 GB drives, and they'll probably switch to 1TB drives soon. A standard rack is 42u high, so you can fit 10 of those cases in one. That's enough room for 480 drives. That's *almost* half a petabyte... but not quite. :p

That is what i was thinking, i could not remember if it was 4u or 6u, but still 480tb, now that is a nice storage system, also backup to the backup's backup would be cool!!!

I hear that! Having a 120TB storage server would be crazy enough, but having 3 backups even crazier still!

The solution that I have in mind will give you a greater drive density, however, this project right now is on cold ice for the time being.

My current neighbor (a plastic surgeon) turned out to be a huge geek, more than I expected, and he asked me to help him build a galaxy class server.... same fun, without spending my money :D

My current neighbor (a plastic surgeon) turned out to be a huge geek, more than I expected, and he asked me to help him build a galaxy class server.... same fun, without spending my money :D
Sheesh, I wish I had neighbors with cash to burn on computer equipment....

The solution that I have in mind will give you a greater drive density, however, this project right now is on cold ice for the time being.

So will it be more expensive and bigger than your galaxy?

So will it be more expensive and bigger than your galaxy?

I'm assuming so, he wants all 1tb drives.. not sure how many he wants to start out with. The guy is as cool as a cucumber. I can't wait to start on that build.

Although, I do have a knack for upping the anti, so I may give him a run for his money ;) hehe

I'm assuming so, he wants all 1tb drives.. not sure how many he wants to start out with. The guy is as cool as a cucumber. I can't wait to start on that build.

Although, I do have a knack for upping the anti, so I may give him a run for his money ;) hehe

So, what are you saying here? New worklog? :D

So, what are you saying here? New worklog? :D

Worklog has already been started, it's just a matter of when I pull the trigger :D

Trying to keep the expenditures low at this moment :)

sweet set up man, just spent a good 45 min reading through everything, passes the time at work quit nicely...
so what the new worklog for your dr friend could very well be a galaxy far far away 1.0 cheesy and dumb yes i know but possible name

gives me idea of my own, but im looking at multiple units, not under one house like yourself

Worklog has already been started, it's just a matter of when I pull the trigger :D

Trying to keep the expenditures low at this moment :)

Thats good, gotta build up your ammunition and then fire one gigantic shot, aka one gigantic new worklog/server :D

Sorry guys, I have just been mixed in so many things right now that it's hard to focus on this. I am going to run a quick worklog on the new HTPC that I am finishing today, which does have a decent amount of storage ;)

As for the galaxy project, it's at a stall again and I have wondered about refocusing my project goals to be more efficient rather than being physical drive capacity. With the price of the new green drives and the savings, it is something that has me really attracted.

Current galaxy has a 30tb capacity using all 1tb drives, I'd be able to eliminate half of the energy consumption, heat, and be able to silence it completley using the green drives.

And I am sure you guys wouldn't mind some cheap drives on a firesale ;)

Ockie, I probably asked this already, but are you using the stock fans on your 5in3s or in the rest of your case? I found Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D that are on a great deal off Newegg. I picked up 4 to quiet my system down. Although, I don't remember you saying how quiet Galaxy is either. :(

Ockie, I probably asked this already, but are you using the stock fans on your 5in3s or in the rest of your case? I found Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D that are on a great deal off Newegg. I picked up 4 to quiet my system down. Although, I don't remember you saying how quiet Galaxy is either. :(

Those are the fans I am currently running, however the hot swap bay units does not use a 120mm and have very odd requirements, which makes the finding of a quiet fan nearly impossible.

Those are the fans I am currently running, however the hot swap bay units does not use a 120mm and have very odd requirements, which makes the finding of a quiet fan nearly impossible.

90mm right? Ya those are hard to find, and even quiet ones. :(

90mm right? Ya those are hard to find, and even quiet ones. :(

90mm, yes, but they also have to be 3 pin and they have to be thin or else they wont fit :( The only company I can find who makes silent ones are SilenX, but they don't have a great rep for airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back