Project: Galaxy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should have taken pictures as I've been going.
Uh, yeah. Way to be on the ball with that.

Trying to navigate an old tub with skirt and siding down a staircase (which makes a right turn) was just fun.. lol. Trying to do the same with a jacuzzi was also just as much fun.
You had to move the jacuzzi down a flight of stairs with a right angle? Is your front door on the 2nd floor or something? Sprucing up the Bat Cave?

Uh, yeah. Way to be on the ball with that.

You had to move the jacuzzi down a flight of stairs with a right angle? Is your front door on the 2nd floor or something? Sprucing up the Bat Cave?

Bathroom is on the second foor where I wanted to install it :) I'm nearly complete now. Pictures will come... I did take some during the process, but you will get the idea.

I wish I had a bat cave :(

UPDATE: Performance PC's still has not revised their response evaluation after 4 days of posting up my response. Why am I not surprised?

I'll give them till tomorrow.

Sounds like thier latest reviews involving customer service is shaky at best, sounds like I wasn't the only one who dealt with a hot head behind the customer service desk. They seem to take pride at degrading their customers who are unhappy too by doing similar things as they did with myself.

UPDATE: Performance PC's still has not revised their response evaluation after 4 days of posting up my response. Why am I not surprised?

I'll give them till tomorrow.

Sounds like thier latest reviews involving customer service is shaky at best, sounds like I wasn't the only one who dealt with a hot head behind the customer service desk. They seem to take pride at degrading their customers who are unhappy too by doing similar things as they did with myself.

that hank just seems terrible, Level0rd was a good guy, too bad he got banned because of something in FS/FT :( as long as you dont have to deal with hank, all seems to work out well lmao

so how many iterations of galaxy you planning on? lmao

Awesome build, that's some killer storage! It's too bad you had that horrible experience with Performance PCs. I worked at Lowe's for almost 7 years, and management was constantly beating it into us that customer service is key. Lowe's figures that a single person on average will tell 20 people about their shopping experience. The average person spends 20k over their lifetime at Lowe's, so if the customer has a great experience, that's $400,000 in the bank, or if they were treated poorly, it's $400,000 in someone elses bank. Sounds to me like Performance PCs is putting quite a bit of money in someone elses bank, considering that a whole heck of alot more than 20 people have read this thread.

If this company wants to stick around, they really need to do something about Hank, I'm sure they could use another janitor. I knew about resellerratings.com, but never really checked it out. Well I hopped on over there, and compared their owner responses to Newegg. Every time there was negative feedback, hbaron would respond by insulting the customers, calling them liars and what not. Newegg on the other hand, thanked them for the time they took to report the rating, apologized for the issue whatever it was, and reconciled the issue. That's an example of good customer service. Belittling your customers is not.

It's unfortunate that you had to endure this hassle, but myself and I'm sure others are greatful that you've brought it to our attention. Hopefully this will be an eye opener for Performance PCs to turn their customer service dept. around. It would be a shame to see one bad apple ruin a company.

If this company wants to stick around, they really need to do something about Hank, I'm sure they could use another janitor.
Considering that Mr. Baron is the owner and President of the company, I find your remark humorous.

On a more positive note, the rating does seem to have been changed. Some of the wording looks familiar.

so how many iterations of galaxy you planning on? lmao

As many as it takes. I really wish I can move faster on the galaxy projects. :eek:

Awesome build, that's some killer storage! It's too bad you had that horrible experience with Performance PCs. I worked at Lowe's for almost 7 years, and management was constantly beating it into us that customer service is key. Lowe's figures that a single person on average will tell 20 people about their shopping experience. The average person spends 20k over their lifetime at Lowe's, so if the customer has a great experience, that's $400,000 in the bank, or if they were treated poorly, it's $400,000 in someone elses bank. Sounds to me like Performance PCs is putting quite a bit of money in someone elses bank, considering that a whole heck of alot more than 20 people have read this thread.

If this company wants to stick around, they really need to do something about Hank, I'm sure they could use another janitor. I knew about resellerratings.com, but never really checked it out. Well I hopped on over there, and compared their owner responses to Newegg. Every time there was negative feedback, hbaron would respond by insulting the customers, calling them liars and what not. Newegg on the other hand, thanked them for the time they took to report the rating, apologized for the issue whatever it was, and reconciled the issue. That's an example of good customer service. Belittling your customers is not.

It's unfortunate that you had to endure this hassle, but myself and I'm sure others are greatful that you've brought it to our attention. Hopefully this will be an eye opener for Performance PCs to turn their customer service dept. around. It would be a shame to see one bad apple ruin a company.

Very well put post man. Nice job. Your lowes analogy is correct IMO, thats the only place I buy from now, they take the time to make things right. They just pocketed a nice sum of money from me in the past week :D The jacuzzi is looking good!

On a more positive note, the rating does seem to have been changed. Some of the wording looks familiar.

Yes they just changed the rating to:

This issue was resolved with the customer on 1/26, and our site has been updated to prevent future misunderstandings. We are sorry for the inconvenience that may have been caused with this order.

Nice, considering that it was not really resolved, just an apology was accepted. And the site finally now has been changed! WOW.. about time.... which goes to show you that they were lying about their review towards me...crazy.

So they finally fixed their errors, removed their posts calling me a liar and making crap up, then finally apologizing and then fixing the site and pretending its all good months ago.

Anyways, whatever, I'll just move on now....

Neither will I :)

It should rather be "For Galaxy and Beyond"?

Ok so what are your plans for Galaxy 5.0? any spoilers?

I heard your going to upgrade each hard drive to the new 1TB drives that are debuting soon.

Ok so what are your plans for Galaxy 5.0? any spoilers?

I heard your going to upgrade each hard drive to the new 1TB drives that are debuting soon.

Ultimately that is the goal of this. I don't think we'd see a galaxy 5.0 until one of three things happen:

1) Run out of 30tb's of space (if 1tb hard drives are still the highest capacity)
2) Server burns down or is stolen
3) If Sata 3 comes out or a radical hardware platform change

Or I simply get bored <--- Most possible chance.

Ultimately that is the goal of this. I don't think we'd see a galaxy 5.0 until one of three things happen:

1) Run out of 30tb's of space (if 1tb hard drives are still the highest capacity)
2) Server burns down or is stolen
3) If Sata 3 comes out or a radical hardware platform change

Thats cool, Have you ever considered going with a highend sas setup? something different right? Im going have 1TB of 10k U320 SCSI on my Lian-Li PC-343B, I just have to buy 3 of these http://store.orbitmicro.com/ccp1295...y-removable-u320-68-pi-mb016ckdf-b-129480.htm

Expensive :(

Oh yeah, I bought the side window panel for mine:D

SAS and SCSI is a nice thing to play with, but I'd never use it. I ran SCSI for the longest time and it just doesn't come up to my needs :(

I love this, sounds great!!
One really dumb question, where does the Galaxy name come from, i have been reading your theards for a close to a year, and i do not remember hearing why....

I love this, sounds great!!
One really dumb question, where does the Galaxy name come from, i have been reading your theards for a close to a year, and i do not remember hearing why....

I have no idea. I used to name all my systems the names of large craters found on stars... and then I eventually moved to solar systems and planets.... I guess I got bored and settled on galaxy, lol. I've been sticking to it since day one. Also my first galaxy had a black + silver case and looked a little space'ish, which probably was also another reason.

all my system names are space-y too. meteor, comet, asteroid, etc. name themes keep network admins happy. also, the name of the system always starts with the first letter of the users name. works quite well so far.

Got my Supermicro SATA controller and had to thank you Ockie, it works great, i could not be more happy with it, I used it on a Asus A8N-CSM VM with onboard 6150 video and this board has two PCI slots which will work for the controllers, so if i need more then 14 drives i can upgrade:)

Got my Supermicro SATA controller and had to thank you Ockie, it works great, i could not be more happy with it, I used it on a Asus A8N-CSM VM with onboard 6150 video and this board has two PCI slots which will work for the controllers, so if i need more then 14 drives i can upgrade:)

You are welcome. This is the main reason I decided to stay with these controllers, they run like tanks. I've yet to run into any problems with them (other than that they don't like latching cables, ugggh!). But overall they are excellent controllers and seem to run with whatever you put them into (as long as they physically fit).

What Raid cage are you using for you set up? Which Hot Swappable cage is it? How would I set up this system into a ASUS mother board with 4 SATA connectors on one chipset and the other on 4 more?

What Raid cage are you using for you set up? Which Hot Swappable cage is it? How would I set up this system into a ASUS mother board with 4 SATA connectors on one chipset and the other on 4 more?

The cage is made by a few vendors, Buffalo, Athena, IStar, IMS, etc.

You just plug this in as if you would plug in 5 individual drives.

lol heck no :) You guys are more insane than I am :eek:

Lets just say, that if there is going to be a galaxy 5.0, it will be the galaxy of all galaxys... I will not hold back :cool:

lol heck no :) You guys are more insane than I am :eek:

Lets just say, that if there is going to be a galaxy 5.0, it will be the galaxy of all galaxys... I will not hold back :cool:
We're insane....as long as it's not our money to be spent. :D

and since when has anybody accused you of holding back? :confused:

common man, we all know y our gonna do Galaxy 5.0 :)

I'll make you guys a promise: If I get a promotion here, I will start the work on a new one. It will take a long time because the next step would involve a custom case... I can't see it working in any other case out there.

I would probably skip the hot swap drives so I can stack more drives.

So yeah, it would be a long long while from now :D

You'd get rid of the hot-swap bays to fit more drives? They're already pretty dense as it is!

I think the next one will have to take the form of a piece of furniture. Make a nice cedar chest, and use it for all your hard drives!

I'll make you guys a promise: If I get a promotion here, I will start the work on a new one. It will take a long time because the next step would involve a custom case... I can't see it working in any other case out there.

I would probably skip the hot swap drives so I can stack more drives.

So yeah, it would be a long long while from now :D

So if you got promoted to CIO or CEO...? :D

I've always wanted to make a cube-stacking case. Take 4 of those cubes, and stack them into two stacks of two, front to back. So it looks like a giant pc case. Except bigger.

You'd get rid of the hot-swap bays to fit more drives? They're already pretty dense as it is!

I think the next one will have to take the form of a piece of furniture. Make a nice cedar chest, and use it for all your hard drives!

Yeah if you position the drives diffrently then you can get in more, also, you can gain some space as the drives are narrow and you can stack a few side by side to accomodate more as the chassis would be wide.

I would most likley end up with a cube, top board chamber, mid psu chamber, and a bottom front hard drive chamber housing three towers of 15 drives each. The rear bottom chamber would be for airflow and simply future expansion (perhaps 3 more drive towers can be added?!)

So if you got promoted to CIO or CEO...? :D

One could only hope.

http://www.rackmountnet.com/Rackmou...350W-redundant-power-supply-RSC-5D-2Q1-RMC5D/

Customer of ours uses that chassis, they dropped one off the other day.. weights a TON, had 48 750GB samsung drives in it on two pcie areca controllers. Just put that baby on its side and it would almost look like a tower case ;).

Thanks for the link. That was one solution I was looking at, but I clench my ears at the very sight of those high capacity, high speed server fans that are piggy backed.

I've always wanted to make a cube-stacking case. Take 4 of those cubes, and stack them into two stacks of two, front to back. So it looks like a giant pc case. Except bigger.

You are nuts :) It would be very entertaining seeing you try and move it :)

Thanks for the link. That was one solution I was looking at, but I clench my ears at the very sight of those high capacity, high speed server fans that are piggy backed.

QFT. Those systems usually sound like a jet engine when they're running. Enterprise-level hardware rarely takes noise levels into consideration when designing their systems.

I used this for my storage server, with same type of hdd cages as you. What system do you run? Mine has Ubuntu Feisty Server + EVMS (then I use SSH or Samba for access from my devices)

Yeah if you position the drives diffrently then you can get in more, also, you can gain some space as the drives are narrow and you can stack a few side by side to accomodate more as the chassis would be wide.

I would most likley end up with a cube, top board chamber, mid psu chamber, and a bottom front hard drive chamber housing three towers of 15 drives each. The rear bottom chamber would be for airflow and simply future expansion (perhaps 3 more drive towers can be added?!)

So you're saying you thought about it? Hmmm, planning is the first step......;) :D

I heard Galaxy 5.0 was being worked on here. ;)

http://www.archive.org/web/petabox.php

:D

-e

Yeah you know, thats my spare time project... lol. not.

I used this for my storage server, with same type of hdd cages as you. What system do you run? Mine has Ubuntu Feisty Server + EVMS (then I use SSH or Samba for access from my devices)

I'm running Windows 2003 Server. Nothing really special or fancy needed to run this. I try and avoid linux for this not because it's worse/better, but mainly for the reason that I had 2003 server laying around and it's a platform I know like the back of my hand.

So you're saying you thought about it? Hmmm, planning is the first step......;) :D

I've been kinda designing the case, at least on paper. :D

I've been kinda designing the case, at least on paper. :D

I knew it.... That's our guy. I need to get some of your "sloppy seconds" parts as they are usually better than my firsts!!!! I love the servers though!

Ockie, I'll give you a cookie, maybe 4.5 if you start Galaxy 5 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back