• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Project C.A.R.S

Downloading rFactor right now. Was hoping the torrent would max out my connection but it's not. Maybe I should have tried getting it from one of the servers instead.
 
Don't get me wrong, I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours in racing sims of different varieties and enjoyed it and spent plenty of time taming the 427 Cobra on Spa. But the fact is you do have to spend a lot of time on it if you want to get good at it and competitive against a real person, and when you can only spend a few hours a week on your hobby, whatever it may be, sim racing gets a bit boring. I enjoyed sim racing far more when I had 30 or 40 hours a week to spend on my various hobbies :p I raced through a full season in GTR1 (which was extremely unforgiving) and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't be able to get into it these days now I actually have a full time job and real life commitments.

Maybe it's because I live in an area that's quite nice to drive around and have spent too much time working on real life race cars I'm just too burnt out on cars to give a shit about a racing sim as well :p

Totally understandable! ;)
 
Games which have heaps of cars through mods just aren't the same as Forza or GT which has a great selection built in .

GT5 budget $60million
Pcars....$7-$8million
Typical sim......not sure, but assume less than 5million, probably less than $2million

Unless the smaller sim makers combine resources and take a risk by borrowing a larger sum to fund a bigger and badder game, be grateful that the modders exist.

As for sim racing, there's always people in the same boat as you, so you can always be competitive against the midfield etc.

No one cares if you're slower, only care about obeying the rules and not being a tool.
 
As for sim racing, there's always people in the same boat as you, so you can always be competitive against the midfield etc.

In my experience, racing in the midfield (ie. drivers who haven't put hours in on THAT specific track in THAT specific car in THAT specific game) it's hard to find good competition because it's hard to find drivers that are around the same skill level as you who are also capable of having a wheel to wheel race.

It's not until you get into the drivers who have spent significant time practicing that specific setup (or are just naturally skilled) that you start to get interesting races.

"Midfield" races are usually just people coming up behind you and you think it's gonna be a good race but they just pass you and fly off into the distance, or you come up behind someone else thinking it'll be a good race and you just fly past them, or you do actually find someone of similar skill level and 2 corners later they crash out :p

Most the "good" races I've had in sim racing have been on tracks I know like the back of my hand and in cars I know like the back of my hand in servers where people just keep repeating the same car and track so everyone there is pretty skilled at it. Things like XRG/XFG on Blackwood or FOX on Aston Club in LFS or F3000 on Imola in GTR Evo or the race weekends where someone would come up with a track/car combo and everyone would spend hours practicing on it before the actual race.

Hence why I think sim racing is time consuming if you actually want to enjoy good races. Unless you can just get your jollies out of hotlapping, but I guess I'm too competitive for that to be enjoyable for me for any length of time. :p
 
Well this thread was helpful, I came in on the fence about getting this game. Now I leave on the fence about getting this game. What made it really bad was going through the Forza-like screenshot battle. One guys taking pics of the game in the worse light while one guy takes pics of the game looking like you're looking out the window at the real thing. All I want to know is if the quality in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpjftffFUm8 something I can achieve with my setup:

Intel i5-3570K
8GB Crucial Memory
XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit
 
Well this thread was helpful, I came in on the fence about getting this game. Now I leave on the fence about getting this game. What made it really bad was going through the Forza-like screenshot battle. One guys taking pics of the game in the worse light while one guy takes pics of the game looking like you're looking out the window at the real thing. All I want to know is if the quality in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpjftffFUm8 something I can achieve with my setup:

Intel i5-3570K
8GB Crucial Memory
XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit

No, that's the same user from earlier in this thread (darkdeus) who registered here merely to promote this game, and that video is not an accurate representation of the graphics. If you don't believe me simply drop some money and test it for yourself. Verification is easily within your reach.
 
GSC DRM makes it an absolute "no buy" for me. Serial activation required with only 2 re-activations before you have to contact support? Fuck that.

And seriously, a 60 minute trial of the demo? Give me a break. That's not even enough time to setup the controls of a hardcore sim.
 
GSC DRM makes it an absolute "no buy" for me. Serial activation required with only 2 re-activations before you have to contact support? Fuck that.

And seriously, a 60 minute trial of the demo? Give me a break. That's not even enough time to setup the controls of a hardcore sim.

I have to agree on this 100000%. Man I was so pissed. Not only did it take nearly half an hour to get my steering wheel setup, which still didn't feel quite right. None of the presets worked and for some reason I had to unplug the 360 controller because it kept wanting to default to it instead. Got tired of trying to figure out how to switch it to the steering wheel, so I just unplugged it.

Before that, it took me a few minutes to figure out how to chose a car and start a race. Not to mention Windows minimized the screen while I gave the program access to the Firewall.

I don't remember the name of the track, but I got maybe 4 laps in before my trial was over. Each lap was ~2:40 long. So basically I got like 10 minutes of play time. :mad:


Also the game kept crashing immediately when I opened it. Found out that by disabling the second monitor it fixed the problem. Though I don't think it took away and "play time" as every time I tried to start the game it still displayed I had 60 minutes to play.
 
Yeah, with with all my sims that use wheel or flight setup I have to unplug my 360 controller or big time conflicts, and then with other games I frequently have to unplug my sim gear or they conflict with the 360 controller games. It's lame.

And I cannot disable my second monitor because I use it 24 hours a day, so yet another reason I couldn't possibly buy GSC. :(
 
Oh wait, I was referring to rFactor having a 60 minute trial/demo and not liking my two monitors. Not GSC. I missed that important part of your post. Oops.
 
Oh, I didn't know rFactor's demo had a 60 minute limit, that's utterly lame. But they don't have activations or an activation limit, and it does work properly with 2 monitors (on my system, in sig). To properly setup rFactor takes way longer than 60 minutes anyway, plus the content that comes with the stock game is useless. 100% useless. All rFactor content is supplied via free community created mods, and there is a LOT of them.

http://39data.web.fc2.com/rFm.html

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/

I've already spent over a year testing and checking the quality of various mods. I'm building a list of the best ones that are worth your time. The list isn't done, but if you want a preview I'll be more than happy to supply it.
 
Well I can honestly say I left the demo/trial unimpressed with the game. It definitely did not make me pull out my CC and purchase it once it locked me out. In fact, after it locked me out I felt like I just wasted 60 minutes of my life. :(
 
Well I can honestly say I left the demo/trial unimpressed with the game. It definitely did not make me pull out my CC and purchase it once it locked me out. In fact, after it locked me out I felt like I just wasted 60 minutes of my life. :(

Well what are you looking for out of your racing? Describe your setup and desires out of a racing game and I'll tell you what you should be looking at.
 
Well what are you looking for out of your racing? Describe your setup and desires out of a racing game and I'll tell you what you should be looking at.

Gran Turismo or Forza for the PC, but with more realistic physics and I'm not really interested in doing engine modifications to the cars, but full suspension changes I do.

Would prefer it to work with my Logitech Drive Force GT steering wheel as well.

Also as I mentioned earlier. Lots and lots of different cars to choose from and the more tracks the merrier. Multiplayer support is a plus.
 
Don't get me wrong, the 60min trial limits are crazy beyond belief, as for activation, you can join RACEDEPARTMENT and talk directly with Reiza Studio support.

Me, I'd release one solitary car and track that you can own forever like the GTR2 demo, though that came with 2 cars.
 
I have no interest in talking to anyone about being able to play a game I've paid money for. The end.
 
Hence why I think sim racing is time consuming if you actually want to enjoy good races.

You can always get good value out of the AI in Simbin or GSC, and GSC allows 34 cars on track.
I agree that sim racing is more demanding than arcade stuff but that's a positive to me, plus PC sims provide the best physics, FFB and steering precision, and that's what I appreciate and enjoy.

You definitely sound like someone who should buy pcars, LOL.
 
I have no interest in talking to anyone about being able to play a game I've paid money for. The end.

Well congratulations to you my butthurt friend, I was only trying to help, but you act like I pulled a toenail off, lol.
 
Well congratulations to you my butthurt friend, I was only trying to help, but you act like I pulled a toenail off, lol.

That was unnecessary. I won't deal with restrictive DRM. If I pay for something, I expect to own it. Not the right to use it whenever someone else decides to allow it. You were the one pumping GSC after all, so who's the butthurt one again? :)
 
That was unnecessary. I won't deal with restrictive DRM. If I pay for something, I expect to own it. Not the right to use it whenever someone else decides to allow it. You were the one pumping GSC after all, so who's the butthurt one again? :)

Epic communication skills.
 
Gran Turismo or Forza for the PC, but with more realistic physics and I'm not really interested in doing engine modifications to the cars, but full suspension changes I do.

Would prefer it to work with my Logitech Drive Force GT steering wheel as well.

Also as I mentioned earlier. Lots and lots of different cars to choose from and the more tracks the merrier. Multiplayer support is a plus.

There's nothing to compare to Forza/GT on PC yet. Project CARS is shaping up to be that game, but time will tell. I wouldn't say it has more realistic physics, though.

If you want content, multiplayer, realistic physics, and wide wheel support, the only 2 real PC options I can think of right now are iracing and rfactor. They check all those boxes, but they're only for dedicated simmers. Casual racers (and Forza/GT crowd looking for more) absolutely need not apply.
 
That was unnecessary. I won't deal with restrictive DRM. If I pay for something, I expect to own it. Not the right to use it whenever someone else decides to allow it. You were the one pumping GSC after all, so who's the butthurt one again? :)

Don't get started with him. He'll start off having a reasonable discussion then after he runs out of brain power to maintain a discussion or see outside of his little box he'll start abusing you and PMing you kinky and somewhat disturbing porn while telling you how mature he is. Trust me, I have experience in the matter. :p
 
Frog2 you look like, like, like, like a big fat hard drive.

Yeah, a big fat hard drive.







...patiently awaits for PM.
 
Don't get started with him. He'll start off having a reasonable discussion then after he runs out of brain power to maintain a discussion

The truth is, you're not a sim racer anymore, you've morphed into a casual gamer yet you still expect props from those who value the physics and FFB over every other criteria.
 
Gran Turismo or Forza for the PC, but with more realistic physics and I'm not really interested in doing engine modifications to the cars, but full suspension changes I do.

Would prefer it to work with my Logitech Drive Force GT steering wheel as well.

Also as I mentioned earlier. Lots and lots of different cars to choose from and the more tracks the merrier. Multiplayer support is a plus.

The game you're looking for doesn't exist. Trust me, I've tried, lol. rFactor has lots of cars and tracks but they're all modded and of varying quality so be prepared to go through lots of them before you find ones that are good quality, and in my case it always seems to be the car I want either isn't there or is a terrible mod :p I haven't played the rFactor demo recently, but it wasn't very representative of the final game simply because you need a certain amount of mods that you can't get on the demo that really change how the game feels.

But you won't find a game with the polish and scale of tracks/cars and career mode as you'll find in Forza or GT on the PC though.

One of the main reasons I used to love LFS was the fact you could jump on and find lots of good races going on without having to dedicate yourself to doing a full proper race weekend or anything like that and the physics is deep enough that you could just jump in a server like Redline Racing and just have fun slowly improving your lap times as you work your way up through the field. Unfortunately the community ain't what it used to be, I don't know if any games have that sort of jump in and play sort of community these days, it seems more common to go to a forum and organise a race like that, but I've never really been in to that.

You could try RACE 07/GTR evo/whatever pack they have now, it's was always a pretty good place to start, though I dunno what the online community is like these days.
 
I sent him a video from a R rated movie which scared the hell out of him, lol.
 
I was just at GTR Evo MP.....but it's not supa busy these days, but you also have private leagues you can join.
 
The porn is free though, right?

free porn is free porn

pm sent

Frog2 you look like, like, like, like a big fat hard drive.

Yeah, a big fat hard drive.







...patiently awaits for PM.

Yes, it was indeed free. I'm sure you can convince him to send it your way too if you try and hold a reasonable discussion with him that doesn't align with his view of the universe.

The truth is, you're not a sim racer anymore, you've morphed into a casual gamer yet you still expect props from those who value the physics and FFB over every other criteria.
LOL, if by "props" you mean to have a reasonable conversation and not get insulted, then yeah sure, I expected "props". Kids these days :rolleyes:
 
I sent him a video from a R rated movie which scared the hell out of him, lol.

Yes, exactly, I was "scared off" from the discussion, lol. Coz that's what you do when you run out of genuine things to say, you send people R rated movies. I assume I was supposed to send you something back and we were supposed to jack each other off to make up or something? I'm not sure how you kids do it these days, but I'm not really into that.

Anyway, this has gone vastly too far off topic so I'm gonna cut my losses here and go back to doing something productive. :p
 
I don't want to get into the whole "who's sim-penis is bigger" debate. Been down that road before. What I learned from the whole thing it's up to the individual user what he can get out of a particular game. I respect people's opinions EXCEPT those that are skewed with bad logic. One , for instance, if you play game X with a wheel and then try game Y with a joystick and then come to bash game Y then you're opinion, FOR ME, is worthless and I usually stop reading once I get that info. Another one, if a person hasn't at least tried to baseline their comparisons then again, worthless opinion. It's very difficult to do that though as all games don't have all cars.
 
. One , for instance, if you play game X with a wheel and then try game Y with a joystick and then come to bash game Y then you're opinion, FOR ME, is worthless a

You don't think there's value in driving a driving simulator with a wheel?....we are trying to simulate the act of driving afterall, plus, FFB quality is very good these days, so using gamepads is a terrible experience.

You might be surprised how good the FFB of 2008's GTR Evolution is, and people say when you mate it to one of the new HQ wheels like T500/CSRe, the FFB is even more pronounced.

Also, in the awesome sim "Game Stock Car 2012", G27 owners use a lower FFB setting by default, so once again, using something like a T500 and the higher preset would really pump up the FFB, though it's rather good with a G27.
 
You don't think there's value in driving a driving simulator with a wheel?....we are trying to simulate the act of driving afterall, plus, FFB quality is very good these days, so using gamepads is a terrible experience.

You might be surprised how good the FFB of 2008's GTR Evolution is, and people say when you mate it to one of the new HQ wheels like T500/CSRe, the FFB is even more pronounced.

Also, in the awesome sim "Game Stock Car 2012", G27 owners use a lower FFB setting by default, so once again, using something like a T500 and the higher preset would really pump up the FFB, though it's rather good with a G27.

You didn't get what I was saying at all man. I have a Fanatec GT2 with Clubsport Pedals AND a Logitech G27. Don't make me have to pull the RIF card. lol
 
Back
Top