• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Project C.A.R.S

I tried again with the controller with some of the aids on (it defaults to having them off) and it makes it more controllable, favouring understeer rather than when the aids were off the car was very twitchy (more twitchy than I found controllable with the small range of motion offered by a thumbstick).

I never really played much SHIFT 2 to know what that was like, but SHIFT 1 had this horrible understeer snapping to sudden oversteer all the while giving very little feedback (all of which got worse as the cars got faster), CARS is a lot better than that even with just a controller but I'll want to try it with a FFB wheel before I comment on how it compares to other sims as frankly I've never played other sims with a controller anyway.

EDIT: I will take back what I said about reliable performance on my GTX460, it seems some tracks and at some times the framerate takes a sudden unexplained and very noticeable hit in performance. Should be something they can work out though since the game is still in early stages.
 
Last edited:
Some new screens from the latest build:
7473607250_8fe67c6a75_o.jpg

7473589216_257b438a52_o.jpg

7473596938_228ecbca6c_o.jpg
 
Looks alright, I wish the cars had more polygons and the textures were a bit better...other than that it looks decent.

;)
 
ive been downloading project C.A.R.S. every couple weeks or so since last Xmas and I have yet to see the game look like those screenshots above...
 
Those were taken with hdr 3(halbic filmic) and a FXAA injector. They are are still unedited gameplay shots though since it does look like that when i play.
 
Those were taken with hdr 3(halbic filmic) and a FXAA injector. They are are still unedited gameplay shots though since it does look like that when i play.

I'm familiar with FXAA Injectors, but I googled this (Halbic Filmic) you speak of and found nothing. Can you clarify? Is it another type of injection?
 
oops i spelled it wrong. Hable Filmic is one of the hdr options in the graphics menu. You can turn hdr off or have it set to one of hour different presets. I think the default is photographic hdr. Hable Filmic HDR tends to increase the contrast and reflections but tends to make the tracks themselves look kinda bad cause there's too much contrast and color saturation.
 
Sorry to revive the thread but im also playing this game and im loving the experience so far, its just amazing how beautifull the cars are and the physics in it!
We should gather around in a few months when the multiplayer option is available and make the Hard Competiton League! :p

Took some screenshots a few days ago to update the thread aswell!


attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php


Oh and theres an awesome video that Jonz a community member made
http://vimeo.com/47730294

See you on the tracks soon!
 
As a dedicated sim racer I have to say the physics are still way too poor and arcadey. They keep promising to improve them but they keep taking one step forward, two steps back. I shouldn't be able to hop into the 95T without doing any setup work and floor it around sharp corners without any oversteer. That's not merely unrealistic, it's fucking laughable.

Also the graphics aren't as good as they look in screenshots. They're good, don't get me wrong, but nothing like the screenshots make them out to be. I've been on board the CARS project since the beginning, and I can't say I'm very pleased with the way its shaping up. We were promised a sprawling PC simulator to rival the best ever made and instead we're getting Shift 3. I love the graphics and the visceral feeling of speed, but like everyone else big into rfactor/iracing I know the physics are wrong. They're not -totally- wrong, but they're wrong enough to make the game pointless for me to bother with until they make things right. I have zero interest whatsoever in Shift 3.

edit: Also the FFB is poor (though it is improving), as is the wheel support and controller configuration options. Last week I spent literally 8 straight hours (an entire night with endless cups of coffee) simply trying to dial in the controls to a point where I could drive a competitive lap (I use a Fanatec CSR with Clubsport Elite pedals and TH8RS shifter and until recently the game didn't even support my setup at all and now it supports it but only poorly). I got there eventually but even then it wasn't comfortable and didn't feel right at all. Still a long way to go, but I fear we're already seeing the direction this game is going, and it's Gran Turismo/Shift/Forza rather than rFactor/iracing.
 
Last edited:
Have to disagree with you on the comments about it the poor physics, can you tell me when you tried it for the last time ?

This isnt Shift 3 neither SMS wants to be related to it, Shift 3 was developed as asked by EA with the technology developed by SMS.
 
Have to disagree with you on the comments about it the poor physics, can you tell me when you tried it for the last time ?

This isnt Shift 3 neither SMS wants to be related to it, Shift 3 was developed as asked by EA with the technology developed by SMS.

Last week. You can disagree all you want. The simple fact is that rfactor (pro) is the base for most major motorsport simulators used by actual racing teams, and iracing is widely regarded by actual professional drivers as one of the most realistic simulators available. When a prospective upcoming "sim" looks and feels like Shift, and doesn't remotely feel like rfactor/iracing, you know something ain't right. Again I repeat, 95T without cornering oversteer. Enough said.

They've admitted many times the physics are a huge work in progress. That's not in dispute. The issue is, they don't seem to be moving in the right direction.
 
pCars doesnt have a 95T, are you sure we are talking about the same game?

iRacing is regarded by many drivers because until now it was the only "decent" option available, soon Asetto Corsa and many others are arising and have more potential to be better than rFactor or any other even LFS as outdated as it is has a better physics than rfactor.

Im not trying to dispute aswell just trying to see your point of view since it has been so negative from the start.
 
98T is what I meant to say, my mistake. I've been watching the 1984 F1 season on my second monitor all morning.

Also, Mr. I-just-registered-today to randomly go nuts in a CARS thread, I don't appreciate the viral marketing/defense of this game you guys are doing all over the web. I know you're associated with the team. You do the same thing at all the forums everywhere, GTP, RD, etc. Register, make a few random posts and then start praising/defending CARS and attacking people that make valid criticisms. You all think you're being clever but you aren't. And that crap going on with RD and NG is crossing a line you never should have crossed.

And no, I'm not a part of this discussion, merely a disgusted observer. I do not post or have an account at any of those sites, but I've read all the threads, connected the dots. You lot are lame.
 
What the hell dude ? Now you are attacking me?
I have nothing to do with the developers im just a fan of the game, and ive joined today indeed so whats the problem ? Have you seen my posts ? I watch these forums constantly but never bothered to register until today.

Everytime im looking for reviews this is one of the websites/forums i visit to get people opinions and comments and now you are freaking attacking me ?
 
First I've heard of this, but I've got to say those screenshots look a little too good to be true. I find it difficult to believe those aren't pre-rendered shots - particularly given the complete absence of any kind of aliasing.
 
What the hell dude ? Now you are attacking me?
I have nothing to do with the developers im just a fan of the game, and ive joined today indeed so whats the problem ? Have you seen my posts ? I watch these forums constantly but never bothered to register until today.

Everytime im looking for reviews this is one of the websites/forums i visit to get people opinions and comments and now you are freaking attacking me ?

Predictably playing the victim as always.

Lets just cut this line of argument off now, I am not looking for a flamewar. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and simply let you know that the CARS team has been heavily engaging in viral marketing and guerrilla forum warfare for at least a year, possibly longer. Nobody knows for sure. So naturally a brand new account that goes straight to praising CARS is going to be suspect. They've got a history of doing it.

edit: And yes, Forceman, this is another reason I said what I said. The people viral marketing CARS are all using the same tricks with post and FXAA/SMAA injection and so forth. The engine does not look that good. They aren't prerenders, but they're not actual raw game footage either.
 
Last edited:
Oh i see who you are Requiem :) im not going to even bother to keep on this conversation with you and i hope since you dont like the game and gave already your feedback to keep away.

Forceman the game doesnt have any tricks and FXAA and SMAA are Antialiasing technologies. If you have a Nvidia GFX Card you can see the FXAA option in the drivers.

What the screenshots have to be that beautifull is a ingame option to give blur effects and increase the LOD to a big level where the cars go up to 250k tris during a replay.

You can see some videos around the internet that people posted while racing the game and you can see how good it is.
 
Also, look back on the first page of this thread. The user "darkdeus" who went straight to posting the same kind of unrealistically good looking screenshots registered the same exact day that he posted those screens and that's all he has done in the forum in 6 months is praise CARS. I guess he was just some random guy too, right?

edit: also, good read: http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292279

edit2: and another, ridiculously long read for those with patience, ignore the OP it has very little to do with how the thread develops... http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/banned-for-no-reason.47384/

Not to mention the recent troll festival of hilarity that was the comments section of the ridiculous Porsche-Automaniax controversy that features Ian Bell & sycophants flaming everyone who disagrees with him. Seriously, doesn't he have a game to make?

As I said above, I'm just a random sim racer following this entire pcars saga and frankly, it disgusts me.
 
Last edited:
Most people taking these ridiculous screenshots of pcars are using fxaa injector and doctoring them using the developer console. Here's some realistic, undoctored shots of pcars gameplay from the latest build. All I did was max out the graphics (GTX 480, newest driver) and go. First 3 use the above Hable Filmic post filter, the last two use Photorealistic setting. Motion blur is off, 4xAA, everything else is maximum. I used FXAA, not SMAA. Captured with fraps. They are not lossless because of imgur but the quality degradation is minimal and irrelevant to assessing the graphics shown in the screenshots. If you're wondering why the last screenshot looks better than the rest, it's because of the nature of the engine. It can look awesome, but only if you are showing it at its best. The rest of the time it looks solid but unspectacular, but the people viral marketing pcars don't ever show anything but the engine at its best.

Lg47V.jpg

JmWqW.jpg

gqfyn.jpg

VktpD.jpg

bN5LB.jpg
 
Last edited:
Also, if anyone wants me to take a screenshot of something specific just ask and I'll get right on it. At least, until the WMD marketing goons hiding out in this thread ban me from pcars for posting legitimate negative concerns about the game on this forum. At which point...

dgWzt.png
 
JacobC just ignore the troll, hes been like that in almost every forum were this game is represented just because he got ignored in the official forums.

I just took these screenshots ingame while i was playing instead of paying attention to the little troll, you can see how the game is with the details maxed out.

If needed i can stream it in realtime ;)

Screenshot23246.png

Screenshot21736.png

Screenshot25041.png

Screenshot17633.png

Screenshot10399.png

Screenshot8651.png


If you take in consideration this is a PRE-ALPHA, it is pretty good and when its done in 2013 it will be even better!
 
At last a bit of honesty, those are real in game screenshots. Still selectively taken to show the best angles and circuits, with the best looking weather and time conditions, but at last they aren't doctored rubbish like the rest. You can tell they're real because they don't look remotely as good when compared with the fake ones posted previously. :)

Obviously I am a troll because I love sim racing and dedicate most of my free time to it, because I spent money to buy into pcars at day 1, and because I have constructive criticism about a game I genuinely want to like. Almost 10 years on this forum with no axe to grind about any game in particular and you registered today to pimp this product and I'm the troll. Get real my friend. That shit won't fly here.

edit: and the "its only a pre-alpha" argument simply doesn't fly anymore. It's been trumpeted ever since the first actual pre-alpha but anyone who is involved with pcars right now knows it left pre-alpha status a long time ago. It's now solidly in early beta, maybe even middle-stage beta. Without question. It is more complete right now than some finished products. A pre-alpha is barely playable at all. This has full menus, 98% of the menu options work correctly, a large amount of cars and tracks are in, online hotlap tracking is in, music is in, most of the sounds are in, need I go on?
 
Last edited:
Lets see its a pre-alpha (= not finished game) and i must show only the horrible things that are a WORK IN PROGRESS.. im sorry but if theres a need of honesty in this thread its from you.

If you ever loved any racing simulator instead of being here just posting those rude comments and trashing the game you would be playing them..

Im sorry but ive reported this thread and the moderators will see whats the best action in here, i wont participate any longer in this troll actions.

Everyone that is interested but in doubt due to this ridiculous comments being made please keep looking for info around the web and dont believe just 1 person opinion.
 
I'm done with this conversation. The evidence is now on display for all to see. Form your own conclusions.
 
Most people taking these ridiculous screenshots of pcars are using fxaa injector and doctoring them using the developer console. Here's some realistic, undoctored shots of pcars gameplay from the latest build. All I did was max out the graphics (GTX 480, newest driver) and go. First 3 use the above Hable Filmic post filter, the last two use Photorealistic setting. Motion blur is off, 4xAA, everything else is maximum. I used FXAA, not SMAA. Captured with fraps. They are not lossless because of imgur but the quality degradation is minimal and irrelevant to assessing the graphics shown in the screenshots. If you're wondering why the last screenshot looks better than the rest, it's because of the nature of the engine. It can look awesome, but only if you are showing it at its best. The rest of the time it looks solid but unspectacular, but the people viral marketing pcars don't ever show anything but the engine at its best.

That's more along the lines of what I'd expect. Still a decent enough looking game - I don't know why they would feel the need to release those obviously not in-game screenshots posted earlier. Sure the engine could make something look that good, but it certainly isn't going to be playable like that. That kind of deceptive (and unnecessary) marketing makes you kind of wonder about the whole enterprise.
 
That's more along the lines of what I'd expect. Still a decent enough looking game - I don't know why they would feel the need to release those obviously not in-game screenshots posted earlier. Sure the engine could make something look that good, but it certainly isn't going to be playable like that. That kind of deceptive (and unnecessary) marketing makes you kind of wonder about the whole enterprise.

To be fair they were "in game" but they were not an accurate representation of what the engine is capable of displaying in actual gameplay situations. It's the kind of deceptive viral marketing that has plagued this project since the beginning, and it's only just starting to become evident as the hype machine ramps up more and more.

I'm a nobody, just a random sim racer, and I barely followed the development of pcars until this summer (mainly because of the crippling problems that rendered it unplayable until they fixed wheel support and FFB) but a night of reading the various non-WMD-controlled pcars forums just totally sickened me. The game has potential, the engine does genuinely look good, and the physics can be fixed, but they appear to be putting more effort into marketing the product than in improving it to meet the realism standard they promised when the project began, and that's disappointing.
 
i noticed the new install has the "Slighlty Mad Studios" misspelled. lol!

SMS.jpg
 
Last edited:
A lot of the images are a bit misrepresentative because the tracks really don't look anything exceptional. You'll notice a lot of the "ooo, ahh" pictures really don't display much of the track which often has muddy textures and big ugly polygons.

But the game does look good and the lighting is good and so your shots, Requiem, are almost deceptive the opposite direction where you've taken shots where the game looks poor.

I remember a similar thing with Crysis. You could take photos that looked awesome, fully in game highlighting amazing lighting and awesome textures. But likewise you could take some really arse looking photos, highlighting some less than stellar textures and areas where the lighting at that specific point in time washed out the image rather than making it look better. I feel like the same is happening here. I'm looking at some shots thinking "it didn't look that awesome when I played it", but I'm also looking at your shots, requiem, and thinking "it didn't look like that much arse when I played it".

Personally I'm a fan of night and evening racing in games anyway, so when I set the time of day to either night or evening CARS blew me away and looked awesome, better than any other sim I've played. I still haven't had a chance to try it with a wheel though (left the country before I got around to doing it) so I can't comment too much on the physics... it felt as realistic as anything else with a controller but that's not saying much :p

I still remain optimistic for the final game when it comes out. It's still a while off and even with the physics it has now I think it'll be worth picking up.
 
A lot of the images are a bit misrepresentative because the tracks really don't look anything exceptional. You'll notice a lot of the "ooo, ahh" pictures really don't display much of the track which often has muddy textures and big ugly polygons.

But the game does look good and the lighting is good and so your shots, Requiem, are almost deceptive the opposite direction where you've taken shots where the game looks poor.

I remember a similar thing with Crysis. You could take photos that looked awesome, fully in game highlighting amazing lighting and awesome textures. But likewise you could take some really arse looking photos, highlighting some less than stellar textures and areas where the lighting at that specific point in time washed out the image rather than making it look better. I feel like the same is happening here. I'm looking at some shots thinking "it didn't look that awesome when I played it", but I'm also looking at your shots, requiem, and thinking "it didn't look like that much arse when I played it".

Personally I'm a fan of night and evening racing in games anyway, so when I set the time of day to either night or evening CARS blew me away and looked awesome, better than any other sim I've played. I still haven't had a chance to try it with a wheel though (left the country before I got around to doing it) so I can't comment too much on the physics... it felt as realistic as anything else with a controller but that's not saying much :p

I still remain optimistic for the final game when it comes out. It's still a while off and even with the physics it has now I think it'll be worth picking up.

I actually agree, the first 3 shots are deceptive the wrong way, but I didn't alter them or attempt to take "bad" screenshots. The engine is simply not well balanced. Some aspects and angles are great, some are terrible. Sometimes it impresses, other times it very much disappoints. Also, screenshots don't show the considerable amount of shadow flicker and texture/LOD glitches. I don't hate on those because the game is still beta, but I can't see them removing them from the finished product. The engine is much too far along in development to cure what are inherent issues. They're stuck with it now.

If you like your racing games simcade ala Shift you'll love CARS, without question. It won't be a bad game. But we were promised a sim, and it's not a sim, nor is it heading towards sim territory, and they're doing incredibly unethical things to mislead people who will buy in expecting fulfillment of promises that SMS simply is not delivering.
 
I never noticed any LOD or texture glitches but I did notice a bit of shadow flicker in spots which was disappointing because I think the shadows look great. A lot of tracks are missing street lights (or were when I last played it) which will hopefully add to the lighting as well.

At the moment there's an imbalance between car quality and track quality. The cars look great and the lighting and reflections look great, but the tracks themselves look like they came from console or something. Some areas the tracks still look good if you just have a nice outline of distant hills or something like that. I do appreciate the difficulty in making good looking tracks, as even most real life tracks look very bland, especially from the driver's perspective, but I hope they improve it. I love hill climb style country road tracks because it combines the fun twistiness of a racetrack with sudden elevation changes you often get on country roads through hills with some awesome scenery. I know a lot of countries have some nice country roads that should be put into digital form, personally I'd love to see the "black spur" from Australia or one of many blue mountains/great dividing range roads make it into a game some day because it's be so fun to drive the country roads.

These days I don't HATE simcade as much as I used to because I don't have the time to dedicate to proper sims anyway (I enjoyed F1 2010, but I still only spent a fraction of the time playing it as I did Live for Speed and GTR1/2 back in the day). But I'd still rather it just came out as a proper sim. I personally hated SHIFT not so much because it was simcade but more because the physics were fucked, they weren't just "wrong", they were fucked and retarded. So hopefully it's nothing like that :p
 
Thinking about trying it - is it worth it to get the weekly builds, or is the monthly build level sufficient? How prolific are the updates?
 
Thinking about trying it - is it worth it to get the weekly builds, or is the monthly build level sufficient? How prolific are the updates?

Monthly build is more than sufficient for testing purposes. I've got weekly and I can't remember the last weekly update that included something I couldn't have waited a bit longer for, but then I'm not very hot for this game. If you get the monthly and really like the game you can always upgrade to the weekly.
 
Monthly build is more than sufficient for testing purposes. I've got weekly and I can't remember the last weekly update that included something I couldn't have waited a bit longer for, but then I'm not very hot for this game. If you get the monthly and really like the game you can always upgrade to the weekly.

Good to know, thanks.
 
It's a good looking game but not a sim, and I don't think it'll become one.
 
Back
Top