Problems with XFX's RMAs

Josh Park

n00b
Bought a brand new XFX R9 390from Newegg. The thing started artifacting about 20 days later. Newegg has a 15 day return period, so I RMA it to XFX. $60 worth of shipping and nearly a month later I receive a replacement 390 with a different part code. The replacement was worse than the original...
The BIOS splash screen turned into an utter mess, and the card would regularly artifact like crazy before crashing the computer.

So I decided to try the RMA again. $60 more in shipping and another month of waiting I receive a 'replacement'. It's the exact same fucking card. Only this time on top of the existing issues, the VRMs get really hot, really fast. As I'm taking the replacement out to put my 6950 back in, a screw falls out. They sent it back without properly screwing in the VRM heatsink.

At this point I don't know what to do. 2 RMAs and yet I still have a broken card. I doubt XFX is capable of replacing this one with a functioning card, and I don't want to waste more money and time only to be disappointed again. It would be nice if XFX would just ship a new WORKING card instead of making me go through their RMA process over and over waiting for that unlikely chance it works.

(And yes I have tried all the cards in multiple computers)

Is there anything I can do about this?

Have you informed them that you keep getting busted cards and are paying for shipping? I'd assume any 'decent' company would be paying for the shipping after the first screw up. If not, that gives you a pretty clear answer on ever buying their products again.

Have you informed them that you keep getting busted cards and are paying for shipping? I'd assume any 'decent' company would be paying for the shipping after the first screw up. If not, that gives you a pretty clear answer on ever buying their products again.
I did inform them after they sent me a broken card. They still made me pay shipping to them to RMA it again. They tested it, said it was faulty and that they would send a replacement. Yet I still receive this... 100% never buying or recommending XFX ever again.

So, you're sending your RMAs to China? I don't envy your situation.

Maybe you can get them to let you send it somewhere else, even just as a one-time exception.

So, you're sending your RMAs to China? I don't envy your situation.

Maybe you can get them to let you send it somewhere else, even just as a one-time exception.
That's where they're telling me to send RMAs to from Australia. It's bullshit. No idea why everyone says XFX has "such great support" or that "it's so good with RMAs". Only reason I ended up choosing XFX over PowerColor. BIG MISTAKE.

I'd say the reason others are reporting different XFX RMA experiences is because they're situated in North America. Which, if nothing else, will have a North American ship to RMA address and substantially cheaper shipping. Might be a lesson to be learned here; better find out before the purchase where you'll end up shipping a card in the event of RMA and roughly how much it might cost you! $60 shipping is a bummer for something this small.

I'd say the reason others are reporting different XFX RMA experiences is because they're situated in North America. Which, if nothing else, will have a North American ship to RMA address and substantially cheaper shipping. Might be a lesson to be learned here; better find out before the purchase where you'll end up shipping a card in the event of RMA and roughly how much it might cost you! $60 shipping is a bummer for something this small.
Yup. Many lessons learned.

I'm in NA and will NEVER buy XFX again. Back in the socket AM2 days I sent them a motherboard for RMA, got a different board back with no chipset cooler. Never could get a response from them about it, sent multiple support tickets.

That's where they're telling me to send RMAs to from Australia. It's bullshit. No idea why everyone says XFX has "such great support" or that "it's so good with RMAs". Only reason I ended up choosing XFX over PowerColor. BIG MISTAKE.

Because the people saying that are in North America where XFX does have good support.

Shouldn't they send you a prepaid label since you bought it within 30 days?

Or does that not apply since you're international?

Damn. This is why I bought my last video card from amazon. They take returns within 30 days for full money back.

I'm in NA and will NEVER buy XFX again. Back in the socket AM2 days I sent them a motherboard for RMA, got a different board back with no chipset cooler. Never could get a response from them about it, sent multiple support tickets.

Didn't know they made motherboards and that was such a long time ago I don't think that is representative of the support they have now. Also where is Mark? Normally he is ACTIVE on this forum.

Didn't know they made motherboards and that was such a long time ago I don't think that is representative of the support they have now. Also where is Mark? Normally he is ACTIVE on this forum.
Dunno about that. They did send me two faulty cards. One of which barely had the VRM heatsink screwed in.

Why the hell isn't XFX paying the shipping for the RMA?! Is that not standard procedure outside of the U.S.?

You havent even bothered actually communicating with mark our xfx rep here but you trolls want to scream how horrible xfx is.....The man cant help you if he doesn't even know about your issues. It typically take him less than one day to return pms for fucks sake. IDK if his hands are tied with helping you because of your location....I know if possible, he will help straighten it out.

You havent even bothered actually communicating with mark our xfx rep here but you trolls want to scream how horrible xfx is.....The man cant help you if he doesn't even know about your issues. It typically take him less than one day to return pms for fucks sake. IDK if his hands are tied with helping you because of your location....I know if possible, he will help straighten it out.
Someone mentioned the xfx support guy earlier and I made a post on his wall. No response as of yet.

Someone mentioned the xfx support guy earlier and I made a post on his wall. No response as of yet.
Well just to be on the safe side send him an actual pm.....He cant really communicate effectively with you thru a wall post. He works out of the California office and might not get to you before working hours his next actual work day....He should be there tomorrow but im not positive with it being Friday and a Holiday weekend in America. (Memorial Day Weekend)..So it COULD be Tuesday next week.

Also where is Mark? Normally he is ACTIVE on this forum.

Sorry friends. Im buried in work over here. Training a new guy, all kinds of new projects, its madness.

Hey Josh. Sorry about your RMA Woes. Ill PM you for your ticket # and see if we cant get Newegg to help us out.

primetime Rvenger - Thank you for the tags.

Also, RMA's in NA are far better than RMA's anywhere else.

Sorry friends. Im buried in work over here. Training a new guy, all kinds of new projects, its madness.

Hey Josh. Sorry about your RMA Woes. Ill PM you for your ticket # and see if we cant get Newegg to help us out.

primetime Rvenger - Thank you for the tags.

Also, RMA's in NA are far better than RMA's anywhere else.
You guys always step up to the challenge!

Didn't know they made motherboards and that was such a long time ago I don't think that is representative of the support they have now.
Maybe, maybe not. Either way there are enough companies out there that haven't screwed me that I'll likely never have to consider going back to XFX.

I still have a XFX HD 4890 with a lifetime warranty. The sad thing is, I'll miss it when it dies. The card is legendary.

You should try Asus...I hear their they have the best customer service!:)
SMH Hardly!!! When you send a mobo in for rma they send a different one back with mangled pins that's a problem. That is only one issue.

I lost a few hundred bucks on an XFX warranty roughly a decade ago. Never going back to them for any product again. I don't care how much they've changed. When you owe me money, you're cut off until the debt is repayed.

My last card (Ref XFX 290X) that I purchased. I purchased because I thought XFX had the lifetime warranty going on all cards still. Well for some reason that isn't the case anymore which I found out after the fact. I hope nothing happens to my card between now and when I switch sides after the 1080 mess settles down and prices get to where they should be. I can assure you I'll be going EVGA and purchasing the extra 10 year warranty so I'm covered. Screw these companies and their 2-3 year warranty. Back your product or get out of the game.

Incidentally, I'm one of the few that has never had a problem with Asus RMA. Might be because the only board of theirs I ever RMA'd was a WS, but who knows.

My first and last Asus RMA was received and shipped back to me within hours. No change, still didn't work. No notes, either, just sent back.

Reactions: scgt1
like this
Yup, ASUS is another company I've sworn off. Pretty much them and XFX are the only two that I can think of. I've had bad experiences with both. ASUS eventually fixed my issue after I got the BBB involved, but I'd rather not try them again.

XFX was a total loss though. I literally there out the card and gave up.

Yup, ASUS is another company I've sworn off. Pretty much them and XFX are the only two that I can think of. I've had bad experiences with both. ASUS eventually fixed my issue after I got the BBB involved, but I'd rather not try them again.

XFX was a total loss though. I literally there out the card and gave up.
You know the xfx rep seems to be going above and beyond to make things right for the op even though op is outside his global area....and some of you trolls just want to shit in the last few post.....well done! How many active reps do we even have at Hardocp? Never the less by all means troll away! It MIGHT be justified if the rep made some lame excuse how it was out of their hands...but is that the case? LOL..... If you want nothing to do with a company that has active reps here to help customers HERE by all means suite yourself.

You know the xfx rep seems to be going above and beyond to make things right for the op even though op is outside his global area....and some of you trolls just want to shit in the last few post.....well done! How many active reps do we even have at Hardocp? Never the less by all means troll away! It MIGHT be justified if the rep made some lame excuse how it was out of their hands...but is that the case? LOL..... If you want nothing to do with a company that has active reps here to help customers HERE by all means suite yourself.
The xfx hate makes no sense. They've always been good about rmas

Back