Post Your Workstation 2009!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's mine: (don't have the best camera, flash makes things look a little weird)

Images snipped

Asus Rampage Formula X48 board
Core 2 E8400@4ghz
8gb OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 @ 1000mhz
BFG GTX280 OCX

(2) 24" Dell 2407WFP
Logitech G15 keyboard and G7 mouse

Thinkpad T500 - love that thing

Speakers are Cambridge sound works MC305
Subs are 10" pioneer car subs powered by 2 channel onkyo receiver with low pass crossover

I'm digging that bookcase/shelf. Mind posting where you got it?

Oo what exactly do you do with your comp at 15 that requires you to have such a kickass setup :p.

Well, this is just for me, but i build pc's and repair them and also repair 360's and lately been testing things out including some weird softwares, but from this, i will get somewhere in life :)

Latest. I will try and get a daytime shot as soon as I clean my room.

3ubo1.jpg

The green you see are those color changing lights from Ikea.

While I am here. How awkward is it to have two different sized monitors as dual monitors. With that nice 23" Samsung on sale for around 160 I want another monitor but mine is currently a 22". Whats the verdict?

hey Bones117 What Chair is that? I need a new office chair... I've worn the foam flat lol :eek:

Latest. I will try and get a daytime shot as soon as I clean my room.

The green you see are those color changing lights from Ikea.

While I am here. How awkward is it to have two different sized monitors as dual monitors. With that nice 23" Samsung on sale for around 160 I want another monitor but mine is currently a 22". Whats the verdict?
It isn't too bad. With Windows 7, you really won't notice it when moving your mouse over. I'd suggest trying it out. I'm wanting to get an older widescreen to place vertically next to my horizontal widescreen.

hey Bones117 What Chair is that? I need a new office chair... I've worn the foam flat lol :eek:

I got this thing at Costco like 3 years ago. Sadly I need to get a new chair for the same reason. I'd love to get another one of these. It was really comfortable when it was in it's prime, and pretty cheap. Except they don't seem to make it anymore. :(

Thanks Pheonix. Yea I think I'm just gonna try it. I'm dying without dual monitors.

I'm digging that bookcase/shelf. Mind posting where you got it?

Got the shelf at my local Target, can't seem to find it on their site.

BTW, subs are great when playing FPS games like crysis when the explosions go off...shakes the house like a real explosion :D jvz555, ur neighbors would love it!

There the dioders from ikea ...everybody's got them (google is your friend)

It isn't too bad. With Windows 7, you really won't notice it when moving your mouse over. I'd suggest trying it out. I'm wanting to get an older widescreen to place vertically next to my horizontal widescreen.

Yeah, hes right - if you use Windows 7 you wont notice it much, or, at all, really. I have two different monitor sizes - One a 19" Widescreen and the other a 17" and when I had Windows 7 on my desktop for awhile, I didn't notice it as much as I did when I had Windows Vista on my desktop.

Yeah, hes right - if you use Windows 7 you wont notice it much, or, at all, really. I have two different monitor sizes - One a 19" Widescreen and the other a 17" and when I had Windows 7 on my desktop for awhile, I didn't notice it as much as I did when I had Windows Vista on my desktop.

This is only true if the monitors are the same resolution. I have a 30" and a 27" and you can tell the differences as windows get larger when you pass them from one monitor to the other.

Yes, granted, this may be the case, however I still dont see that big of a difference. My resolution is 1440x900 on my Acer and 1024x1220 on my HP. Maybe THAT is why I don't see that big of a difference.

In your case of a 30" and a 27", I don't doubt one bit that you'd notice a difference.

The rack has mostly my audio/video equipment for work in it. All that was FREE =). Then I've got two computers that are in the bottom that act as servers and routers, the bottom one, very bottom one is my Untangle router and the top one is my file server. It's an old amd sempron 2ghz, 4 port sata pci card with 4 Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb drives in it, just bought those actually lols.

Then the total space of all 6 external drives are around 5.2tb. That's a total space of 9.2tb.

I'm ordering some cables Monday so that I can finally move the other rack behind me and have all my crap thrown in there so you just see the monitors and keyboards/mouse.

room_work_area_1.jpg

room_work_area_2.jpg

geek1.JPG

geek2.JPG

Heh, that old Proliant is more paperweight then machine these days. :) It's like my Sun UE60's, one of them has a Disksuite stack (8 18gb drives, rofl) for it. Pretty useless now, but once glorious! haha...

Can you still use that ReplayTV? Needs a digital tuner adaptor doesn't it? I unloaded my 5040's (which I loved) on ebay a few years ago and moved to a Tivo Series 3.

Since everyone is posting racks, I felt left out, so while not in my "general" workstation, I have this in my basement and is part of my "collection" that I tinker with. It was my primary internet server for a venture a friend of mine and I ran from 1993-1998, Princeton University gave it to us as a donation (we eventually had two more, one donated from MIT and one form elsewhere)...we had a 24-hr SLIP connection via Telebit Trailblazer PEP (19.2kbps) from UUNET. (Whois record Created on Jul. 07, 1993)

3706063602_dcd054411c_b.jpg

Flickr album of my Sun 4/280

Last edited:
Heh, that old Proliant is more paperweight then machine these days. :) It's like my Sun UE60's, one of them has a Disksuite stack (8 18gb drives, rofl) for it. Pretty useless now, but once glorious! haha...

Can you still use that ReplayTV? Needs a digital tuner adaptor doesn't it? I unloaded my 5040's (which I loved) on ebay a few years ago and moved to a Tivo Series 3.

Since everyone is posting racks, I felt left out, so while not in my "general" workstation, I have this in my basement and is part of my "collection" that I tinker with. It was my primary internet server for a venture a friend of mine and I ran from 1993-1998, Princeton University gave it to us as a donation (we eventually had two more, one donated from MIT and one form elsewhere)...we had a 24-hr SLIP connection via Telebit Trailblazer PEP (19.2kbps) from UUNET. (Whois record Created on Jul. 07, 1993)

3706063602_dcd054411c_b.jpg

Flickr album of my Sun 4/280

Everything I've got still works fine, it's just the old proliant server is power hungry so it's off lol.

is that an external hard drive sitting on top of a sub? Vibration + Magnetic field = short life for hard drive.

Also, maybe you could use some velcro straps / zip ties for wires.

Other than that, great looking workstation, I could picture spending a few hours playing games there.

Yea I know, I thought the icybox would shake like hell from subwoofer but I haven't heard a screw shaking on it ever. And I just took a chance with killin it because of the magnetic field. But it's all good.

The magnetic field effect is probably negligible. I'd be more worried about data corruption from the writing head shaking all over the platters

So as I mentioned on the ikea thread, Im about to buy an ikea galant desk.
Now, my only option is to put it under a window (corner desk, and the connection point is under the window).
There will be no computer/screen/any other important electronic equipment under the window.
How safe is it? I really dont have another option.

gal.php

img4498ttg.jpg

img4500twf.jpg

and no, I didnt just throw everything to the left desk for the shot. Its always like that :D

screw imageshack!

Last edited:
Everything I've got still works fine, it's just the old proliant server is power hungry so it's off lol.

Oh, I wasn't disputing that, I was just saying its like a bunch of my old gear, it uses more power then its worth for processing power... That looks like a 5500 or 6500 model, which is like a dual p2 or p3 xeon. :) I think an iPhone may beat it out in processing power.

Oh, I wasn't disputing that, I was just saying its like a bunch of my old gear, it uses more power then its worth for processing power... That looks like a 5500 or 6500 model, which is like a dual p2 or p3 xeon. :) I think an iPhone may beat it out in processing power.

It's a 5500, quad p2 I think, 550mhz on each proc.

I'm moving my computer (Antec 1200, soon to be a Lian-Li PC-P80) to the side of my desk. It won't fit on top of my new Jerker. Any suggestions to raise it up off the carpet? I can't find any of the addon shelves, unless someone here wishes to sell theirs. Please? :)

Without those shelves, what alternatives would you suggest? Ideally there'd be some sort of shelf bolted to the side of the desk. Can I just build my own? What all do I need?

I'm moving my computer (Antec 1200, soon to be a Lian-Li PC-P80) to the side of my desk. It won't fit on top of my new Jerker. Any suggestions to raise it up off the carpet? I can't find any of the addon shelves, unless someone here wishes to sell theirs. Please? :)

Without those shelves, what alternatives would you suggest? Ideally there'd be some sort of shelf bolted to the side of the desk. Can I just build my own? What all do I need?

it might be too big or whatever I love using my Flarke TV stand to put my computer on. If not a Flarke TV stand there's other tables and things at Ikea to get an idea perhaps Lerberg although its better to go to the store since the website seems to have problems with a recent update that some stuff is there and others aren't and the search isn't working too well.

you can always build your own some sort of bracket and a some wood but how handy are you with tools? can you cut wood easily without hurting yourself? and it also takes time so if you don't have the time buy something or get someone to build it for you.

I actually used the Lack side table for a little while, it was capable of holding my Antec 1200 with no problems. If you have the space I would give it a shot as it can hold the case plus a couple of other things. :)

i think if I had a jerker I would definitely build my own addon shelves.... you could make it custom sized to hold your case specifically, plus you could put a raised edge around it to keep your case from sliding around, or sliding off the shelf all together. . . all you have to do is build something that can fasten into the holes. . . the ikea shelves never seem like they look all too trustworthy to me... unless the pictures just don't do them justice . . . as far as cutting wood without hurting yourself. . as suggested above. . . our school takes every 8th grader in the school and puts them behind a saw for an intro to woodworking class .. . . and nobody has got hurt yet. . . so I think you'll be able to figure this one out . . find yourself a jig saw and go to work :)

as far as cutting wood without hurting yourself. . as suggested above. . . our school takes every 8th grader in the school and puts them behind a saw for an intro to woodworking class .. . . and nobody has got hurt yet. . . so I think you'll be able to figure this one out . . find yourself a jig saw and go to work :)

In 8th grade I cut myself in shop class using a band saw. Yet there was no blood maybe because it was my thumb also it didn't hurt so it depends on the person. I try not to that stuff since I'm kinda clumsy at times.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back