Post Your Workstation 2009!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty good with tools, I had a woodworking class in the 7th grade. I'd like to build something similar to what Ikea had for their shelves without the swivel if I don't necessarily need it, but I don't think I'm good at metalworking just yet.

A bend here and a hole there might take care of it, but how well it holds up against this monster of a case is another story.

I also saw the swivel shelves on EBay, but for $65+$12 shipping, I just don't think that's necessary for something that looks so flimsy in the picture.

Currently the closest Ikea is 40 miles away, so any solution involving Ikea is out of the question for now. I only visit Ohio once in a blue moon.

I saw a TV stand at Big Lots that was roughly the exact width/depth I need, and had a nice shelf to put junk on. But I'd have to modify it to add some sort of bracer bar, and there would be no way to mount it to the desk.

I'm trying to negotiate with someone in Michigan regarding another Jerker with a second top shelf and possible extender bars. Shipping will be atrocious, but not as bad as some of the more expensive desks, as I see it.

Once I have my computer unboxed and plugged in I'll post a pic of my setup. I need to get the computer squared away in a semi permanent location (again, preferably mounted) so I can work on cable management. I'm thinking zip ties every 6", with some sort of protective sleeving over the wires.

My current workstation --- Still a work in progress

IMG2922.jpg

IMG2898.JPG

IMG2882.jpg

IMG2828.jpg

The bedroom entertainment center to the left of the workstation
[Group 1]-IMG_2930_IMG_2942-13 images.jpg

Yeah, I'll say, awesome job with the workstation that you are "working" (no pun intended...or is there?...) on - I wish I had a setup like that. Seems like you put it to good use, eh? :cool:

How much is that case?

i spy a dreamcast! Shenmue is so awesome! (currently on disc 2:p) love the setup. how is this a work in progress?

Ya dreamcast owns! One system I won't get rid of. Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia were my favs :D.
Anyway it's a work in progress that's almost done... I've been slowly building it since January this year. I've had horrible luck with hard drives and their fantastic "moving parts." So far three have died on me in the last year (had them for a couple years) and I'm trying to slowly replace them all with solid state disks, but the price is a tad high. Also I need to upgrade the speakers to get the best out of the x-fi sound card.

How much is that case?

The case is the haf 932. It's a great tool-less case that ranges around $135-$170 depending on where you get it. I believe it's 145.00 free shipping on newegg at the moment. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Not sure what's updated and not, but I was trying a new filter out on the camera and took some pictures while I was in the room :D

My workstation:

IMG_2332.jpg
:

The fiancee's workstation:

IMG_2335.jpg

@dynamix, very nice workstation.

Though I have to say this, you're not going to like it...

CU > CSU

:D:p

Not sure what's updated and not, but I was trying a new filter out on the camera and took some pictures while I was in the room :D

My workstation:

<Snip>

The fiancee's workstation:

<Snip>

We have the same 17" HP, haha - Its good to see that I'm not the only one who keeps it for dual-monitor purposes ;) How is the legroom at your desk? It looks like you don't have a lot, there.

Ahh, okay - I see it now: Your desk's top juts out near your chair, so you have more room that what it seems. I get it, now! :D

Th webcam atop your HP...is that a Logitech? That's another thing im in the market for - A webcam and a monitor, or, a monitor with a built-in webcam

Ahh, okay - I see it now: Your desk's top juts out near your chair, so you have more room that what it seems. I get it, now! :D

Th webcam atop your HP...is that a Logitech? That's another thing im in the market for - A webcam and a monitor, or, a monitor with a built-in webcam

Yeah, it's an old Logitech Quickcam IM. To my amazement, I'm using Vista Business x64 - and there were 64 bit drivers for it! :p

Last Year:

100_0107.jpg

This Year:

100_1454.jpg

100_1471.jpg

100_1466.jpg

100_1462.jpg

I don't use it as a monitor anymore, It was hard swapping down.

@dynamix, very nice workstation.

Though I have to say this, you're not going to like it...

CU > CSU

:D:p

Thx for the positive feedback on the workstation... and haha good ol' CU vs. CSU rivalry! I have to say the buffs have a beautiful campus in Boulder, and partying at the hill is something you can't pass up. We have our perks too, but CUs campus definitely dominates ours :(.

What keyboard is that Herl? I like how the keys are illuminated. Great looking 'station
ps. is that one of those things for hanging bunches of bananas you have your headphones hanging from? looks cool!

Last edited:
The Keyboard is a Microsoft Reclusa. Its a fine board but just a little thick and chunky, I've been considering switching to a Lycosa.

Yes thats a Banana hanger, you can get a solid metal one at Bed Bath and Beyond for ten bucks.

I'll have to give it a try then, I'm looking for a new keyboard for my new build, I like chunky I cannot stand these new slimline laptop-style keyboards
Thanks mate

Just curious, what got you to switch?

A couple of reasons

Room dynamics changed

The odd screen resolution of 1360 x 780 (or something close)

Girl friend wanted to use the Wii

Too large for the desk

Needed more room for Rockband, etc...

I'm kinda working on doing an AM3 system rebuild and I'm considering a dual monitor setup.

I'll have to give it a try then, I'm looking for a new keyboard for my new build, I like chunky I cannot stand these new slimline laptop-style keyboards
Thanks mate

Every once in a while I see them on Newegg or Amazon listed for 20 under what I paid. Keep an eye out.

Last edited:
I apologise for being off-topic but does anybody know where to get that clock that's next to the laptop? Its not my setup, I stumbled upon picture earlier and don't remember where.

11r5duu.jpg

Mullet nice clean set up but that sub's gotta rattle like crazy on the hardwood floor ;)

Last edited:
3730581419_42e83f11c8_o.jpg

3730581527_d689cd72e8_o.jpg

Got my i7 parts in a couple weeks ago. Still haven't got around to building a desk. :rolleyes:
The MBP will be going soon, replaced by a netbook. Was thinking 1000he, but the new Gateway looks nice.
Off to the right is my old hack box... trying to get a retail os x install working on my new machine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back