Post your Speaker setup PICS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
mdashoot// How are you liking the HT Omega Claro?
Been looking at them for awhile. A lot of talk but no first person impressions.

I love it, I had a creative sound blaster before with the z-5500's and there is a big difference now with the HT Omega Claro and the z-5500's. They arent exactly made for gamers though, they dont have the fancy decoders for the gaming sound, but I dont care about the games I would rather have my music and movies sound good. Lots of options in the software also and easy to use.

My new setup, gonna be getting a Velodyne VX-10 sub soon

pc002oh0.jpg

It is finished.

Cliffs: Just skip all the text and look at the pics.

The current iteration of my home theater actually started when I wanted to get new speakers for my PC. I ended up getting an X-LS 5.1 system from AV123 but my spare receiver was an old Technics that didn't support any modern surround sound formats and didn't have 5.1 analog inputs either. So I stole my Marantz receiver from my home theater.

So I needed a new receiver, ended up with a Denon AVR-2807 (and a Denon 1930ci DVD player to match it), and that's what started the whole upgrade. I replaced my 30" Samsung HD CRT with a Samsung HLS-6187 61" DLP. Next up was a 360 and a Wii. After that came a Toshiba HD-A3 and a Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switch to deal with my ever increasing number of HDMI sources. A PS3 purchase rounded out my crop of current gen consoles.

After that I decided my speakers weren't quite cutting the mustard (B&W S3s and a Infinity Intermezzo 1.2s subwoofer). I'd always been impressed with the subwoofer so I found a pair of the matching bookshelves to listen to (the Infinity 2.6) and I was hooked. I got a pair of the 2.6p (p is the passive version of the bookshelf, I didn't want to hassle with power cords since I'd be using them as surrounds) and a pair of the 4.1ts. After a couple months of watching I finally found a 3.5c, the matching center.

For those that aren't familiar, these were Infinity's second in command at the time, with an MSRP of $7,000. The Prelude MTS was their top dog, costing a couple grand more for a pair. Each speaker has a 6.5", a 3.5" and a 1", with an internally amplified (850 watt BASH) 12" subwoofer. All the drivers use Infinity's Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphragm material, which is basically ceramic coated aluminum. Very light and very stiff.

The center has 2 5.25" drivers, a 3.5", and a 1", and an internal 250 watt amp for the 5.25"s.

The surrounds are a 1" and a 6.5". These are available with a 250 watt internal amp but mine are the passive version.

The next buy was an HTPC to go with everything. I'm a sucker for big black aluminum boxes, so I went with Silverstone's CW-02B. Currently residing in it is 1.2 TB of storage (more to come), an Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI motherboard, AMD 5000+, and 2 gig of G.Skill, running Windows Vista Premium. I've got a 7950GT laying around that I may throw into it.

My final purchase was the Emotiva XPA-5 1000 watt amplifier.

So, without further ado, the pics:

Top rack, from the bottom up, Emotiva XPA-5, Pace TDC-778X and external drive, various mineral samples, and sitting on top are my Dinovo Edge and Wii/PS3 chargers.
0081600x1200.jpg

Bottom rack. HTPC, Denon AVR-2807, Denon 1930Ci, Toshiba HD-A3.
0071600x1200.jpg

2008-04-080851600x1200.jpg

2008-04-080901600x1200.jpg

2008-04-081601600x1200.jpg

0101600x1200.jpg

0111600x1200.jpg

2008-04-081631600x1200.jpg

2008-04-081701600x1200.jpg

2008-04-081331600x1200.jpg

2008-04-081321600x1200.jpg

2008-04-081171600x1200.jpg

2008-04-081041600x1200.jpg

2008-04-081741600x1200.jpg

That's what I call an home theater orgasm!!! Great setup, Nic!

How are the viewing angles on your Samsung DLP? I've heard that DLPs are notorious for poor viewing angles. I'm planning to replace my awful LCD TV with one of Samsung's new LED DLPs, probably the 50" model.

That's what I call an home theater orgasm!!! Great setup, Nic!

How are the viewing angles on your Samsung DLP? I've heard that DLPs are notorious for poor viewing angles. I'm planning to replace my awful LCD TV with one of Samsung's new LED DLPs, probably the 50" model.

The only problem I've ever had with viewing angles are when you're off axis vertically. Like standing while playing Guitar Hero. But I'm 6'6" and that was with the wired 360 controller so I couldn't get very far from the TV. The horizontal viewing angles are fine. It's possible to be at such an angle (horizontally) that brightness is reduced, but if you're at that angle your couch/chairs are in the wrong place and you're already watching a weirdly shaped trapezoid. Really the only time I can see it being a problem are if you're watching the TV from your kitchen or something.

The amps in the speakers are just for the woofers (in the center) and the subwoofers (in the towers), all the rest of the drivers are unamplified.

That makes sense, then. Awesome HTPC case, by the way

Edit: sorry, I was too excited to see the pictures to read your post at the time, and referenced it off of your earlier postings.

Here is my real budget setup, It may be cheap but my ears don't mind it at all.

A free Pioneer VSX-D308 Reciever running from my onboard audio hooked up to some free SOTA speakers with a cheap 54w powered sub from a Koss mini system.
I also have a pair of cheap Sennheiser HD 437 headphones. :cool:

mcyuke

mcyuke

mcyuke

After a quick google search couldn't find any info on "State of the art" speakers, does anybody have any info on them?

The putter system section contains some...non putter speakers!

Putter speakers,Dynaudio Contour 1.1's

Putter Sunfire D8 sub

And now some HT...subwoofer amps...

Now some raw drivers for a few subs....

Dual Mach5 IXL 18.4's

SoundSplinter 15D2's

CSS SDX15's

AudioPulse REVO 15's

Acoupower 18's

Exodus MAelstrom-X and ubber drivers to come...in a few months...

I noticed my Polks aren't as good as they used to be, especially after listening to my DT770s for hours, still, nothing is as powerful as my main system..

So I had to box up my old speakers (Dynaudio Audience 62s) as I will be trading up soon! However, I just couldn't take it anymore without speakers... so I stole some off my dad's home theater :D

Pictures!

... pictures of NEW setup to arrive when I make my purchase (this time tomorrow, but they won't have them in stock :( )

I'm looking at these Insignia's to replace a set of Logitech Z-530's that are all sitting on the desk in front of me. I think I've had them set up in 5.1 maybe 6 months out of the 3-4 years I've had them.

Would I need to run a sub as well for these or would this be a good choice for a 2.0 system? I use my headphones most of the time now while gaming, so surround isn't an issue for me.

Also, here's is my setup right now:
deskae3.jpg

I'm looking at these Insignia's to replace a set of Logitech Z-530's that are all sitting on the desk in front of me. I think I've had them set up in 5.1 maybe 6 months out of the 3-4 years I've had them.

Would I need to run a sub as well for these or would this be a good choice for a 2.0 system? I use my headphones most of the time now while gaming, so surround isn't an issue for me.

Also, here's is my setup right now:
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7990/deskae3.jpg

You will want a sub at some point, but i could see having them as a 2.0 system for quite awhile. The detail and quality of the audio is so incredible compared to my old logitech z5300e (which are already a huge step up from yours).

What i actually did was unplug all the satellites from my z5300's, use a splitter and run only the sub. works incredibly well. :) get them now......listen to all your music again, then get a sub.

^^^ I second that. I have a pair of the Insignias that I've used on my Onkyo receiver and I've hooked them up in place of the satellites on my Logitech Z-2300... either way they sounded nice. They're not the best I've heard, but they're definitely not the worst.

^^^ I second that. I have a pair of the Insignias that I've used on my Onkyo receiver and I've hooked them up in place of the satellites on my Logitech Z-2300... either way they sounded nice. They're not the best I've heard, but they're definitely not the worst.

Yeah, they can use a little EQ'ing after listening to them a while - but the initial change from Logitech to the Insignias (or Polk or any other speaker brand) is :eek:

0417081914-1.jpg

my humble college apt. setup...from camera phone

(the speakers are centered, it looks weird from the angle i took it at...also, my makeshift speaker stands are just stacks of DVD cases. Affordable and easily adjustable)

Giganto, if you are putting those X-530s all on your desk better to just ditch the surrounds.

I figure ill say it just to get it out of the way.

p4gs why is your sub on your desk :p

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!?!?!

haha, i'm just kidding. For the Swans M10, having the sub inbetween the two speakers is actually the proper placement since it is an active desktop speaker system or something. I just actually moved it back down onto the floor for the time being because my desk is tiny and the sub is dominating all the space that I need to do homework and whatnot.

There is a small but noticeable difference having the sub on the desk rather than on the floor. It isn't a very boomy or "omnipotent" sub...the bass is punchy almost, so it's better to have it on the desk where you can hear it best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back