Post your Speaker setup PICS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha most speakers take weeks to break in! Heh, i listen to most stuff at max volume. My car speakers got a five hour break in,and i've noticed no better response. I have a set of a/d/s components (not sure if i mentioned that earlier) they sound great imo, except for over emphasized highs. The speakers I have at my house are 3-way components and are enormous. I wish I had my digital camera, my parents lost it.

I've been breaking them in by playing them for about 10 hours straight at nearly full volume. I'm sure the neighbors dont like it much. It may just be placebo effect, but they do seem a little better than when they started.

Hmm stereo components... brand new speakers... playing near full volume? something doesn't seem right with that picture.

Last time I checked, breaking in speakers and headphones means playing them at around listening level (not deafening levels). Playing unbroken in speakers at near full volume could easily blow them depending if you have a good or bad amp. My Marantz receiver goes from -80 to 0 thru +18 and I refuse to ever turn it above 0 because that is way too loud for my neighbors and my own ears.

0 is about my listening level, depending on the source. I could go to +10 but that is physically painful to listen to. I do like my music loud though.

sorry for going offtopic, but can anyone direct me to some forums where there is talk about hi-fi components, mostly high end stuff or something similar? can do it over PM. thanks.

Except on AVS, everyone flames everyone else. It's not a particularly friendly site.... unlike [H] or other forums out there.

Other sites I would suggest you try are the forums that I usually go to.
www.av123.com
www.polkaudio.com/forum
www.martinloganowners.com
www.audiogon.com (look for the forum, this is essentially hi end to the max. The people here are very experienced, moreso than I am and I go here to look for opinions on products that arent very readily owned by the regular audiophile... like speakers beyond the 10$K mark and amps and preamps beyond the $4K mark. This is also my favorite place to look at how people set up their truly hi-end speaker setups and get ideas from them.)
www.audiocircle.com

AVS is the last place I go to, just worthless info in my opinion. Everyone is always one-upping someone else.

Just my humble opinion...

Slasher,
Which speakers are you looking at? I could try to help you with what I know and point you in a certain direction... PM me or email me.

Joey

BSOD4U2 said:
Well I am not competing with anyone.Just with myself,as a doc I hope you will ahve a cure for my obsession with audio.

And I joined AV123 forums,looks line an interesting place. The Klipsch forums keep me busy a bit,as a top ten poster you have to contribute a little. ;)

Two channel wise I will buy Dynaudio's Evidence Temptation speakers,these rival anything out there in the super speaker arena.Being tall and slender I can fit them anywhere. :p

On the amp territory,upgradding from a FPB600 will not be easy,I only see big Goldmund monoblocks and FM Acoustics,gear that is priced in the If You Have To Ask range.

BTW the new Sunfire D series subs are incredible as PC subs to help the Klipsch 5.1Ultra.A superb combo for those on a ...budget. :)

Hard to upgrade from teh Krell 600, no doubt. And the Dyn Evidence temptation is an awesome speaker! It's one notch below the Master right?

Also, I just looked at the JL Gotham.... impressive to say the least!

I was offered a Velodyne DD18 for $2K ($4K+ retail) + 100 shipping to me from a member on av123, craigsub... I'm sure you've read posts from him. And that's a good price.. I wonder if I should jump on it.
b98295db552af65681a3c827d5e69c34.JPG

Joey

Joey,

This is a very good subwoofer,good is a weak term here.An great sub,accurate and has plenty of output,plus will dig sea deep.

For only 2K you should JUMP on it NOW! :)

I will get the 1812,my HGS18 does not need another 18" Velo stack pal. LOL

So ...go buy it NOW. Have your credit card ready and call...NOW!

Seriously buy it.

I bet this is done with savings on happy meals . :p

If only I was close,I would snag this sub NOW. Well to much hassle. :mad: You better get it Joey,or I am calling your parents and they are taking your lunch money away($2500K in this case). :p

I will ahve to get a new DD18 ...I will have. 25 subs I will have then... :eek: Sick sick and insane I tell you.Beyond help

Haha, so Ghetto ^_^
If you look closely, it looks like 3 of those woofers have had their center cone smushed in.
I'd bet 10:1 a kid was the cause of that.

classic

You've got some serious vintage equipment piled up in that room, Monster. Me love it!
biggrin.gif

lol crt? no its a tv, and suprisingly the tv hasnt been effected by the magnets. The one speaker with the pushed in cone, is from some moron overplaying his system with the fader on :)

The ones in the rear, have just been seeing way too many watts despite how clean the signal was.

The front set of speakers are amazing, i've owned them for along time and they have nice fresh cones :D Oh an they're liquid cooled

Just got through refoaming a set of these.

There are other pictures of them here.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Liquid cooled. LOL

They use a tiny drop of oil on the VC to transmit any heat from the tiny tweeter VC to the tiny magnetic structure.

These 80-90's speakers magnets are aroun d 10-15oz almost strong enough to damage the vintage TV. :p

Donnie27 said:
Just got through refoaming a set of these.

There are other pictures of them here.
OMG!!!
eek.gif

I had a pair of those Infinity speakers way back in college. I sold them to a buddy before moving to Orlando many years ago. Yours look a lot better than mine did after several years booming out music for all those late night parties.
wink.gif

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Mr. Wolf said:
OMG!!!
eek.gif

I had a pair of those Infinity speakers way back in college. I sold them to a buddy before moving to Orlando many years ago. Yours look a lot better than mine did after several years booming out music for all those late night parties.
wink.gif

Yup, $50 for the speakers and $13 for the refoaming kit with Glue. They'll not replace the Customs I have on my computer. Just got through testing them. Not enough bass eventhough I use a sub. That's 32Hz for the Infinitys and my Customs do 20Hz but can't take the volume the Infinitys can.

I think I'll stick with my old set.

I'd love to mod these with a something like two of these.

If you were going to get some infinity book shelf which ones would you get,
140s,
150s,
or 160s
I'm debating, I mean they are nothing amazing but quite nice speakers form what I here and The 160s are in my price range but I'm not sure if the extra $$$ is worth it. Anyone ?

baker97 said:
140s,
150s,
or 160s
I'm debating, I mean they are nothing amazing but quite nice speakers form what I here and The 160s are in my price range but I'm not sure if the extra $$$ is worth it. Anyone ?

They're connected to a Receiver that's coonected to my Computer and I can use Small Floor or Bookshelf. I also like 3 or 4-way speakers. I don't have roon for the full size floor speakers like the ones in my Den.

If you're talking about these ? No thanks. I was looking for something to replace my old customised set.

LOL my post wasnt for you, It was for me to see what some of the experts on this site would say and recommend.

MonsterEnergy said:
lol crt? no its a tv, and suprisingly the tv hasnt been effected by the magnets. The one speaker with the pushed in cone, is from some moron overplaying his system with the fader on :)

The ones in the rear, have just been seeing way too many watts despite how clean the signal was.

The front set of speakers are amazing, i've owned them for along time and they have nice fresh cones :D Oh an they're liquid cooled

to be honest with you I've got a lot of experience with speakers and I've never seen or heard of dust caps pulling themselves in, no matter how hard the driver was pushed with power.

baker97 said:
LOL my post wasnt for you, It was for me to see what some of the experts on this site would say and recommend.

Same line so I'm supposed to read minds now, LOL WOW!

Anyway, I was PM-ed to not test with one of each speakers. I connected the other and oh man, sweetness. They sound slightly not as good my old ones on some things but better on others. They have a much stronger image. I think I'll keep them for now.

to be honest with you I've got a lot of experience with speakers and I've never seen or heard of dust caps pulling themselves in, no matter how hard the driver was pushed with power.
to be honest i havent either, i just assumed it ! :) It must just be conicendence then since one of them has seriously been played more than the other.

baker97 said:
140s,
150s,
or 160s
I'd go with the 160s as long as they'd fit on your desk.

Chair said:

Exactly

Maybe the vaccum inside the cabinet is so great when this woofer's cone travels 50mm out,the dustcaps fail under pressure. :p

More of a foot or fingers are guilty,likke 99.999999% of pushed in dustcaps and dome tweeters and midranges! :eek:

Chair said:
sarcastic doesn't work over the internet :p

With smilies it does.

Back to the topic at hand audio...post pics people do not be shy.We need to see your deluxe sound systems.

Joey,

Where are you hiding,did you get the Velodyne DD18?

BSOD4U2 said:
With smilies it does.

Back to the topic at hand audio...post pics people do not be shy.We need to see your deluxe sound systems.

Joey,

Where are you hiding,did you get the Velodyne DD18?
Ear,

I've been around my friend....

I dont think I will be getting the DD18, as tempting as that super sub may be... but I dont have the room to be able to let the DD18 stretch its legs (I know you disagree being the infrasonic human being that you are). The Martin Logan Summits are taking care of the lowend grunt just fine, by my ears at the current state of my room.

However... I will tell you that I just acquired a $4,000 Cary SLP-98 tube preamplifier. Yes yes.... Stereophile Class A and quite possible one of the best preamps at the sane price market. I compared it to my current Rogue Metis tube preamplifier and there is no contest as to which is world-class and which is merely "ok".

Here is a pic of the great Cary....
6410.jpg

And the adventure towards audio nirvana lives on...

Sincerely,
[no need to sign your messages... sigs should be placed in dedicated signature area in user cp. thx ---- magnetik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back