Post your "rate my cables" here

Will the HSF clear rotated 90 degrees? If so you may get better temps, since it won't be pulling directly off the back of the GPU below it.

Will the HSF clear rotated 90 degrees? If so you may get better temps, since it won't be pulling directly off the back of the GPU below it.

Nope. I used to have it mounted that way, but I had to change it when I put the 40mm fan on the NB. My temps didn't actually change much, though. Only went up 1-2 degrees. I consider that a fair trade for a cooler NB.

Unfortunately, after I finished routing all the wires and such I had to pull the motherboard out and RMA it. :(

DSC_7522.jpg

DSC_7529.jpg

Dzontini, why are you so self-deprecating? Your rig is very clean!
Don't like to be cocky, I work hard at it, but I never seem to get it as clean as I would like. And like I said there are a lot of exceptional rigs on here. But thank you much for the compliment.

Don't like to be cocky, I work hard at it, but I never seem to get it as clean as I would like. And like I said there are a lot of exceptional rigs on here. But thank you much for the compliment.

I hear you there... I spend a lot of time cleaning my computers up, but once you get a lot of stuff in there, it gets harder. And then comes maintenance/additions... You start pulling things apart or adding things and then you realize that you just have to get it to a point that's easy to work on too.

I hear you there... I spend a lot of time cleaning my computers up, but once you get a lot of stuff in there, it gets harder. And then comes maintenance/additions... You start pulling things apart or adding things and then you realize that you just have to get it to a point that's easy to work on too.

Yeah, thats what this latest wire cleanup really is, After christmas Im going to switch power supplies, video cards and prolly hard drives and RAM too as well as add a second water cooling loop and watercool the northbridge. Also I am gonna powder coat the insides black. I did this so it should all go without incident and ill have a good idea how it will fit back together. So I can't wait :)

And then comes maintenance/additions... You start pulling things apart or adding things and then you realize that you just have to get it to a point that's easy to work on too.
My last rebuild, the wiring turned out great (see my previous post), but I've found that it's virtually impossible to do any changes. Everything is so tightly packed and closely routed that getting at any one thing is impractical---it would require massive teardown and reassembly. I wanted to see if I could cram everything in a midtower and so keep using my side panel (see sister post), and was successful in that.... but I had not anticipated the virtual mummification of my system that came along with it.

Next time I do anything will have to be a total rebuild.... in a PC-A7x full tower.

My last rebuild, the wiring turned out great (see my previous post), but I've found that it's virtually impossible to do any changes. Everything is so tightly packed and closely routed that getting at any one thing is impractical---it would require massive teardown and reassembly. I wanted to see if I could cram everything in a midtower and so keep using my side panel (see sister post), and was successful in that.... but I had not anticipated the virtual mummification of my system that came along with it.

Next time I do anything will have to be a total rebuild.... in a PC-A7x full tower.

Gotta ask ya rsquared how are you liking the powder coating? I am going to powder coat the guts of my system but was interested how well it holds up on aluminum. I painted the inside of an antec case and the paint easily chipped and scratched off.

Gotta ask ya rsquared how are you liking the powder coating?
It's been great. This is the second case I've had powdercoated, and haven't had any problems with either. (The first was a PC-6085B.) It took a bit of finagling here and there getting everything assembled because of the non-negligible thickness of the coating, and I had to clean out the screw holes, but those were trivial issues. Taking the cases completely apart for coating, and reassembling them afterward, was the difficult part. Especially with the A16.

The first was in exchange for fixing the computer of a guy whose job was powdercoating, and the second was done by ex-co-workers for beer. If I had had to pay market prices for the powdercoating jobs I would probably be a bit less enthusiastic about it.

It's been great. This is the second case I've had powdercoated, and haven't had any problems with either. (The first was a PC-6085B.) It took a bit of finagling here and there getting everything assembled because of the non-negligible thickness of the coating, and I had to clean out the screw holes, but those were trivial issues. Taking the cases completely apart for coating, and reassembling them afterward, was the difficult part. Especially with the A16.

The first was in exchange for fixing the computer of a guy whose job was powdercoating, and the second was done by ex-co-workers for beer. If I had had to pay market prices for the powdercoating jobs I would probably be a bit less enthusiastic about it.

I have a friend of the family who will probably do it for free or next to nothing, and I was aware of the clearing of the holes and such, its actually kind of a plus because I have some holes in the case I would like to disappear from the old hard drive cages and such. I just am concerned about putting it all back together and having regular metal rivets and screws ruining all the hard work going into it. So if you guys know where to get black mounting screws and such it would be much appreciated.

So if you guys know where to get black mounting screws and such it would be much appreciated.
I bought a package each of M3 screws, spring washers, and flat washers, all in black, from McMaster-Carr. (Yes, I replaced all the Lian-Li thumbscrews, an act that some find blasphemous.) It may not be necessary, but I've always used flat washers under the screws on my powdercoated cases, to be sure the screw head doesn't chew up the coating.

I also got some black rivets from Performance-PCs, but ended up not using them anywhere---the one place I tried, to reattach a plastic motherboard-tray springy thing, the rivet wasn't long enough.

Nope. I used to have it mounted that way, but I had to change it when I put the 40mm fan on the NB. My temps didn't actually change much, though. Only went up 1-2 degrees. I consider that a fair trade for a cooler NB.

And I bet the vid card temps dropped at least a couple degrees too.

Unfortunately, after I finished routing all the wires and such I had to pull the motherboard out and RMA it. :(

DSC_7522.jpg

I hope it wasn't the protective film on the southbridge. :eek: Anyways I don't think this would cause it to overheat but you should still take that off.

My daughter's EMachines. Will swap into her new case soon.

kif1805scm6.jpg

hahaha that's awesome, I have one of those pile of crap emachines too, though yours looks like it has some decent hardware in it o.0 The cabling job mine came with wasn't bad actually.. I'll snap a photo of it later.

On a side note, my apple g4 has by far the weirdest cabling job I've ever seen. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Thanks, yeah the POS E ran pretty well for about four years. She tolerated and in fact liked the little rig for a long time. I figured I would swap out the guts a bit. There is not much left of the old E cept the DVD, HD and case...and the case will go soon.

Yeah I have one of those old G4's too. It has some crazy wiring and ducting inside. I may need to swap out the power supply on it but I don't use it much any more.

Poor, with an i7... :D

Here's how I've used a coat hanger to help control my 24 pin and pci-e power connectors:

24pinclose6pin.jpg

24pinclose.jpg

Since some were posting custom pc's in a dell or emachine case.
Heres my mothers pc in a HP case.
IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

You cant really hide the cables in this one.

Well, my Dell > all because I bothered to put a red acrylic window in the door :).

IMG_1173.jpg

I must have had that acrylic laying around for years, until I finally cut it up and wedged it in there.

My daughter's EMachines. Will swap into her new case soon.

Nicely done! That optical IDE cable must have been a tricky piece of work -- under the mobo? Must be, but so clean I can't tell.

Kids don't need much power 3D wise these days, if they game it tends to be on a console. They need lots of ram though, with 15 million chat windows up, facebook, youtube, music player and limewire, as well as everything else. :D

Still, a new case is only the precursor to a new mobo/cpu and maybe ram! She'll like that!

Since some were posting custom pc's in a dell or emachine case.
Heres my mothers pc in a HP case.
You cant really hide the cables in this one.

You mom has your RaptorX HD???? :confused:

HP cases are actually pretty smartly built. Only problem I've found with them is the nicer workstation units had an HP proprietary I/O hieght, can't swap the mobo to a mainstream one. They were using 120mm fans back in the PIII days, when many systems still had no fans, even the CPU had no fan in some cases (slot 1?).

Well, my Dell > all because I bothered to put a red acrylic window in the door :).

I must have had that acrylic laying around for years, until I finally cut it up and wedged it in there.

Welp, it ain't a dell anymore -- considering yer sig! :D

Nice job from what I can see! You added a CC light too, and even considering the side panel may be hiding a mess, I can't see any cable clutter at all!

That optical IDE cable must have been a tricky piece of work -- under the mobo?

Thanks for your kind words Lithotech. Yeah the IDE cable for the DVD is under the mobo. Did the usual cablegami thing. It wasn't too bad since I didn't have that many cables to worry about and she has a cheaper E that only has one DVD.

cimg0843ssx7.jpg

Cable management should become much easier once I have her move her stuff into the 900 I got her. Then hopefully this summer, we can start doing some simple mods to her new case to make it the way she wants it.

Will switch out my wife's Noctua NHU9 with her CNPS 9500. They both cool similarly but the U9 is a horizontal design that goes well with the 900's top fan design while the 9500 fits my wife's CM C5 better. I got my wife 2Gb of GSkills so I will give my daughter the 1Gb stick that is currently in my wife's rig. Then can clock up her rig to about 2.2 - 2.4 Ghz.

Yeah she doesn't game much so she doesn't need a powerful vid card. Still her E was so bad with graphics (Intel Extreme(ly bad) Graphics :mad:) and only had PCI slots, she could not even play Rollercoaster Tycoon. The 6150 should keep her happy for a bit and I can eventually hand her my old card as I upgrade (though my son will probably be first in line as he games more than her).

We hear ya!

Hows the temps with the stock cooler?

Need to update yer sig!

Temps are pretty bad when overclocked, but I guess that's to be expected. 4GHz @ 1.325v idles mid 50s and loads around 85c with orthos. Thankfully ambient temp in Maine is fairly cool, so that helps, but it's still way too hot for my liking. Have an ultra-120 on order. Should be here next week. I'll get right on that sig though :p

Back