Post your "rate my cables" here

DRJ1014

Supreme [H]ardness
There have been so many threads about cables, how to improve, and just wanting to show off.

Put them here!

Please take the time to rate the posters, how they could improve (if needed)

Please keep images to a decent size. Some people don't have the crazy monitor setups you do.

Please host your own images. No piggybacking.

Posts and pictures must follow the [H]ard Forum Rules.

Last edited:
Hows about posting a pic that we dont have to scroll sideways to see... aka resize it. :cool:

Here is mine and a bump for this thread...
I don't have a "before" pic because I just got this case a few days ago. ;)
case_interior.jpg

Still thinking about how I want to tackle the drive cage/PSU area.

Not really a closeup, but:
case.jpg

I plan to get a Lian Li PC65B soon.

All cables were built by hand from parts ordered from performance-pcs.com and my local hardware store. I started by chopping the cables at the PS and building each cable run by hand. All fan cables were unsoldered from the fan and built from new cable to custom lengths. USB cables were built from scratch to custom lengths for the front panel connections and VFD.

In the dark...

1.JPG

SCSI 320 15k Raid 5 Array with 150g Storage Drive

2.JPG

Power Supply Connections, Fan, and DVD-RW Drives

3.JPG

Poorly lit view of the digibus MO-VFD with temp probes

4.JPG

View of cards, cooler, and variosu cables

5.JPG

View of USB cables, front panel LED and switch cables, and MIDI & Firewire cables on sound card

6.JPG

View of case all closed up.

7.JPG

EARM: is this the gigabyte cooler pro heatsink??? if it is, is a good one?? I am thinking of buying one. Is it also heavey on the cpu?

It's the CoolerMaster Hyper 6 heatpipe cooler, and the thing is VERY heavy. I'm very happy with it as I can run a slower RPM fan and still get great temps without as much noise. All fans are on silicon isolation mounts or have silicon gaskets. Slower fans and still having good temps make me very happy... I don't want a lot of noise coming from my system.

Earm: where did u get those ide cables? also what are those things on the side of your cards?

Earm - Good job my friend. I wish my wires looked half as good as yours, but I dont have the patience for that...hehe.

Wow! Thanks for the kind words everyone! The system represents weeks and weeks of work, I would constantly find myself running out of heat shrink, or sleeving, or connectors and had to make several orders to get in everything I need. This isn't hard to do, I'm sure most anyone else could have done it as well, it just takes LOTS of planning, and even more time.

flat4: The IDE cables are an absolute pain to find, and I can't honestly recall where I got them from. Do a google search for Gladiator RD3XP, they've got floppy cables as well as several lengths and connectors for IDE. I use a seperate IDE cable with only one drive connection for each DVD-RW so that when I do copies they don't fight for bandwidth.

The computer was built slowly over about a year and a half, so don't think I'm rich and bought all this at once! A drive here, a sound card there, etc etc etc. The thing is when I build a computer I want it to last several years so I'll invest some money in good tech, I just don't do it all in one shot.

As to specs, here they are! Please don't kill me if I get a detail wrong... I'm doing this all from memory, and remember this is an older system so it isn't P4 3.6 with an x800xt pe or the like... :D

CoolerMaster ATC-110 case
Intel 3.06GHz 533MHz bus
Gigabyte GA-8IXHP Motherboard
4 Kingston RDRAM 1066 256MB modules
ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
Adaptec SCSI Raid with 128MB cache
SB Audigy 2 Gamer
3 Seagate 36GB 15k SCSI Hard Drives (in a RAID 5 array)
1 Seagate 150GB 10k SCSI Hard Drive
Two Plextor PX-712A (newest additions)
Matrix Orbital MX5 VFD (fan controller with 4 temp probes)
PC Power & Cooling Delux 510W Power Supply with Papst fan replacement
Four Papst 2k RPM 80mm Fans (2 front intake, top exhaust, rear exhaust)
One Papst 1k RPM 80mm Fan ( on the CoolerMaster Hyper 6 Cooler)
One Papst 40mm Fan (chipset)
Lots and lots of litte parts, heat sinks, fan grills, connectors, etc.

edit: flat4, I forgot to report back to you about the black things on the cards. They are called "Card Keepers," and they serve to keep the AGP and PCI cards from shifting out when the case is moved. To be honest... I just like the way they make the cards all look like they fit together better, and they give me a solid mounting point to secure the vid card power cable to and the firewire cable coming off of the SB card.

Earm said:
Wow! Thanks for the kind words everyone! The system represents weeks and weeks of work, I would constantly find myself running out of heat shrink, or sleeving, or connectors and had to make several orders to get in everything I need. This isn't hard to do, I'm sure most anyone else could have done it as well, it just takes LOTS of planning, and even more time.

flat4: The IDE cables are an absolute pain to find, and I can't honestly recall where I got them from. Do a google search for Gladiator RD3XP, they've got floppy cables as well as several lengths and connectors for IDE. I use a seperate IDE cable with only one drive connection for each DVD-RW so that when I do copies they don't fight for bandwidth.

The computer was built slowly over about a year and a half, so don't think I'm rich and bought all this at once! A drive here, a sound card there, etc etc etc. The thing is when I build a computer I want it to last several years so I'll invest some money in good tech, I just don't do it all in one shot.

As to specs, here they are! Please don't kill me if I get a detail wrong... I'm doing this all from memory, and remember this is an older system so it isn't P4 3.6 with an x800xt pe or the like... :D

Intel 3.06GHz 533MHz bus
ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
SB Audigy 2 Gamer

Thats wierd...I wonder why my hyper 6 is positioned differently than yours?

Depending on the motherboard the CPU socket can be positioned differently. I have an ASUS motherboard where the CPU socket is turned 90 degrees clockwise from my main system... just depends on the mb model and maker.

I wish mine was 90 degrees one way or the other so that I could have pulled the heatsink exhaust right out of the system with the rear fan... but thems are da' breaks.

Earm said:
Depending on the motherboard the CPU socket can be positioned differently. I have an ASUS motherboard where the CPU socket is turned 90 degrees clockwise from my main system... just depends on the mb model and maker.

I wish mine was 90 degrees one way or the other so that I could have pulled the heatsink exhaust right out of the system with the rear fan... but thems are da' breaks.

Makes sense...damn I wish my comp was as clean as yours. No matter how much time I waste working on it, it still looks the same... :(

Earm said:

Intel 3.06GHz 533MHz bus
ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
SB Audigy 2 Gamer

edit: flat4, I forgot to report back to you about the black things on the cards. They are called "Card Keepers," and they serve to keep the AGP and PCI cards from shifting out when the case is moved. To be honest... I just like the way they make the cards all look like they fit together better, and they give me a solid mounting point to secure the vid card power cable to and the firewire cable coming off of the SB card.

Hey!!! You are a member of the ultra-uber club....you are one of the few, the proud, the owners of the best case ever made, the coolermaster atc-101b :D :p

Thats the first time I have ever seen another person post pics of the same case as mine on the net. Dont you just freakin love it?

I have mine watercooled and a s939 fx-53/BFG 6800 Ultra OC setup on the way. Gonna be cooled by a LRWW Cascade waterblock (or pure silver tdx) and the dangerden gpu block. I'll post pics when it arrives ;)

computerpro3 said:
Hey!!! You are a member of the ultra-uber club....you are one of the few, the proud, the owners of the best case ever made, the coolermaster atc-101b :D :p

Thats the first time I have ever seen another person post pics of the same case as mine on the net. Dont you just freakin love it?

I have mine watercooled and a s939 fx-53/BFG 6800 Ultra OC setup on the way. Gonna be cooled by a LRWW Cascade waterblock (or pure silver tdx) and the dangerden gpu block. I'll post pics when it arrives ;)

that case looks exactly like my preatorian :D

Picture657.jpg

from the side anyway. It has a bit more features and its a lot bigger. Thicker aluminum too I believe. Its pretty damn heavy for an all aluminum case. It has 5 5.25 bays alone :D

I almost bought the praetorian (also a sweet case) but then I found this gem (last one availiable in the US I believe) and just had to get it.

BTW I love your case lighting :D

JESUS.... my stuff looks like shit...

my brother has a HUGE reel of the calbe sleeving, buti ts the rEALLY big kind.. so i cant sleeve everything.. it sucks

anyone knwo where to buy a reel of the small stuff that expands ?

Earm said:

i serched for the cables and all the stores i found that carry them and they want $20+ for just once cable. are they really worth it? i cant see paying $20+ for an IDE cable.

120.JPG

124.JPG

127.JPG

128.JPG

PlexiShroud.JPG

All of them except for the last one, are a few months old. When Im finished the wires will be cleaner up around the ROM's and HD. The HD will be enclosed in a HD block. Then Ill tidy up the wires more.

Earm, you RULE!!

That is hands down the nicest PC I have ever seen. Good Job...hell Great Job.

Earm said:
All cables were built by hand from parts ordered from performance-pcs.com and my local hardware store. I started by chopping the cables at the PS and building each cable run by hand. All fan cables were unsoldered from the fan and built from new cable to custom lengths. USB cables were built from scratch to custom lengths for the front panel connections and VFD.

In the dark...

1.JPG

SCSI 320 15k Raid 5 Array with 150g Storage Drive

2.JPG

Power Supply Connections, Fan, and DVD-RW Drives

3.JPG

Poorly lit view of the digibus MO-VFD with temp probes

4.JPG

View of cards, cooler, and variosu cables

5.JPG

View of USB cables, front panel LED and switch cables, and MIDI & Firewire cables on sound card

6.JPG

View of case all closed up.

7.JPG
this is where jealousy begins :p

earm is sooo sexyy.... no wait, i mean his case :D ;)

Back