Post your "rate my cables" here

Clax said:
rate my cables p[ease.

comp3.JPG

looks good, but u still need to sleeve a few more cables and buy some heatshrink

Now that is a great computer EARM. Very clean and organized. It is amazing how you have spent all that time perfecting your case and not being bothered by the new hardware that is out. I love the scsi setup.

Hats off to the work you have done and the future projects that you plan on doing.

old pics and this is the only one I got with me here... other pics is the other rig.

new one coming shortly! just finished getting the interior painted black to match the 'blue&black' theme

IMG_1423_resize.jpg

xmod00.jpg

Well, the cam is the gay.....but oh well....here's a quick shot....there's still a coule things I wanna fix up though:

PICT0002.JPG

nerhq.jpg

that is my old one

now i have a shuttle, so it is a little hard to take a pic of my wiring since there is no room inside anyways

compslckr said:
now i have a shuttle, so it is a little hard to take a pic of my wiring since there is no room inside anyways

Not quite true....I cleaned mine up QUITE a bit when I had it (decided not to use any of the front ports.....pulled out all those grey cables) and it was pretty slick.

cornelious0_0 said:
Well, the cam is the gay.....but oh well....here's a quick shot....there's still a coule things I wanna fix up though:

PICT0002.JPG
is that an aluminum fan i see on the side?... what are the advantages of an aluminum fan versus a plastic one?... or is it just for aesthetics purposes?

wayne said:
is that an aluminum fan i see on the side?... what are the advantages of an aluminum fan versus a plastic one?... or is it just for aesthetics purposes?

Well, the fan casing itself IS 100% aluminum, but the blades are plastic painted silver. There aren't really any practicle advantages.....it was more just an asthetic choice for me, seeing as I'm going for the whole black/silver theme with my Lian-Li.

They say it offers no difference. I think the only advantage would be if it was lighter, but I don't know if that is true.

DudeItsMe said:
They say it offers no difference. I think the only advantage would be if it was lighter, but I don't know if that is true.

Umm, do you realise how heavy this thing is compared to a normal PLASTIC 120mm fan? It's pretty massive.....and it was tough finding a form of epoxy that would hold the aluminum fan to the brushed aluminum on the case....especially since the fan is so heavy. Aluminum IS lighter then steel, but your regular plastic fans are nowhere NEAR the weight of these aluminum babies. :)

cornelious0_0 said:
Umm, do you realise how heavy this thing is compared to a normal PLASTIC 120mm fan? It's pretty massive.....and it was tough finding a form of epoxy that would hold the aluminum fan to the brushed aluminum on the case....especially since the fan is so heavy. Aluminum IS lighter then steel, but your regular plastic fans are nowhere NEAR the weight of these aluminum babies. :)
why would you glue your aluminum fans on?... i understand that the fan screws cannot chew a thread into the screw hole so wouldnt it be simpler to just use nuts and bolts?

wayne said:
why would you glue your aluminum fans on?... i understand that the fan screws cannot chew a thread into the screw hole so wouldnt it be simpler to just use nuts and bolts?

Not really....seeing as it would have ruined the clean look I was going for on the panel. Any kind of screw/nut/bolt solution was gonna ruin and take away from the cleanliness of the panel....with the nice cut, and glued window. I'm VERY pleased with how it turned out....as its rather unique. Another side note.....glueing the fan on actually cut back on a lot of vibration.....as the glue is essentially acting as one giant rubber grommet for the fan.

okay this is my case
IMGP1221.jpg

as u can see the psu cables are horrible in there... as soon as i get a chance to get some high quality zip ties (the ones i found in my house were not strong enuf to withstand 50 wires bunched together :/) Any1 have any suggestions for the power cables? and btw, im thinking of getting a chieftec dragon soon...

EARM What gauge wire did you buy? I just ordered a bunch of stuff from performance-pcs.com and need to get some wire.

Thanks for the advice on that website. Ordering was smooth and since I live not far away I can drive and get the stuff from them.

Also did you order the black 90 degree molexs from them? I can't seem to find them on there site. Thanks in advance.

DRJ1014 said:
ok lets pull all these together. show your "rate my cables" pictures here and quote the name of the person who posted the pictures to post a comment so we know who your talking to...ways of improvement...

heres mine
before
Picture021993.jpg

after
Picture292.jpg

i am working on it right now for sleeving

get a grip dude...still messy

Earm's case wins. Hands down one of the best wiring jobs I've ever seen.

Here's my case. If the link doesn't work, copy and paste into a new window.

http://matt.fastlanehw.com/inside.jpg

Only thing that's changed in the few months since I took that picture is I added one of the new Arctic Cooling Silencers to my 9800Pro last night.

insaneman37 said:
Hands down one of the best wiring jobs I've ever seen.

All to true.....even though I have seen better wiring jobs.....none of them had THAT many optic/hard drives to wire up, along with making use of a number of mobo plugs for firewise etc out the back..........kudos dude, it is beautiful. :cool:

cornelious0_0 said:
I've seen worse dude....obviously.

Say, do you have a window that covers up the rats nest up top? :p Also, it woudl be worth routing the fan wires behind the mobo tray if possible.....it just looks out of place.

Nope. Don't have any windows. As soon as I get some wire wrapping materials I'm going to try and re-route behind the tray or at least tie things down out of the way a bit better.

doh said:
Nope. Don't have any windows. As soon as I get some wire wrapping materials I'm going to try and re-route behind the tray or at least tie things down out of the way a bit better.

Aight, sounds good. :cool:

Earm said:
All cables were built by hand from parts ordered from performance-pcs.com and my local hardware store. I started by chopping the cables at the PS and building each cable run by hand. All fan cables were unsoldered from the fan and built from new cable to custom lengths. USB cables were built from scratch to custom lengths for the front panel connections and VFD.

In the dark...

http://216.219.160.22/images/1.JPG

SCSI 320 15k Raid 5 Array with 150g Storage Drive

http://216.219.160.22/images/2.JPG

Power Supply Connections, Fan, and DVD-RW Drives

http://216.219.160.22/images/3.JPG

Poorly lit view of the digibus MO-VFD with temp probes

http://216.219.160.22/images/4.JPG

View of cards, cooler, and variosu cables

http://216.219.160.22/images/5.JPG

View of USB cables, front panel LED and switch cables, and MIDI & Firewire cables on sound card

http://216.219.160.22/images/6.JPG

View of case all closed up.

http://216.219.160.22/images/7.JPG

Now THAT is one sexy case. :eek: :eek: :eek:

It is a very nice looking setup.....but I still can't get over how silly Coolermater's exterior window mounting looks.....I'll never figure that one out myself. ;) :p

earm wins as far as the inside of the case goes, but the wiring on the outside? LMAO!

Before:
IMG_2323.jpg

After:
IMG_2325.jpg

I guess I should actually use that antec sleeving kit I baught, eh?

MAXX RS4 said:
Before:
IMG_2323.jpg

After:
IMG_2325.jpg

I guess I should actually use that antec sleeving kit I baught, eh?
hey i noticed you have a intel stock heatsink fan on the pci covers... nice, lol :D

im working on mine again ill get some pictures up after im done sleeving

where can i get some of the silent padding for the inside of the case?

wayne said:
hey i noticed you have a intel stock heatsink fan on the pci covers... nice, lol :D

LoL, yea.. I needed some circulation around there and the only available fan I had was the stock intel fan.. It works pretty decently, but it could push more. But hey, not bad for using my resources, right?

EDIT:
OH CRAP! I noticed some nasty finger prints inside my case looking at my pics.. Thankfully I always have this windex bottle next to me..

MAXX RS4 said:
LoL, yea.. I needed some circulation around there and the only available fan I had was the stock intel fan.. It works pretty decently, but it could push more. But hey, not bad for using my resources, right?

EDIT:
OH CRAP! I noticed some nasty finger prints inside my case looking at my pics.. Thankfully I always have this windex bottle next to me..
i dont see any finger prints... :confused:

Well, I used some of the antec stuff.. Pretty easy to use, and I didn't have a molex removal tool - just a good ol' fashioned precision flathead.

Before:
IMG_2324.jpg

After:
IMG_2334.jpg

Behind the trays and such:
IMG_2333.jpg

Turned out rather well. Not as nice as many others here, but I'm also not devoting my life to this. :D

Turned out rather well. Not as nice as many others here, but I'm also not devoting my life to this. :D

You don't have to necessarily devote your LIFE to it....but there are still a few small things I'll recommend you try out with your "after" job:

1 - A lot of those leads at the bottom of the case could VERY easily be grouped togethor with a few black wire ties, and it WOULD look a lot nicer.
2 - The IDE and power cables going to your optic drive up top could be pulled in a little more and secured in the back...just so you dont have that arc of black wire coming from the front side like that.

Other then those two small modifications it is a very nice job. I'd encourage you to give those two things a shot.....I think you'll like what you see when you're done. ;)

theelviscerator said:
get a grip dude...still messy
you should see it now i have gotten a new PSU sleeved. it is much cleaner now. i will take pictures soon

cornelious0_0 said:
You don't have to necessarily devote your LIFE to it....but there are still a few small things I'll recommend you try out with your "after" job:

1 - A lot of those leads at the bottom of the case could VERY easily be grouped togethor with a few black wire ties, and it WOULD look a lot nicer.
2 - The IDE and power cables going to your optic drive up top could be pulled in a little more and secured in the back...just so you dont have that arc of black wire coming from the front side like that.

Other then those two small modifications it is a very nice job. I'd encourage you to give those two things a shot.....I think you'll like what you see when you're done. ;)

Yea, I was gonna wire tie them, but some theif must have taken off with my black ties.. All I have left are pink and yellow.. bleah..

I don't even have an excuse for not tucking those ide and power cables in though.. I'm just dumb.. lol

Back