Post your mining rigs!

Anyone still building mining rigs? I made a small profit, but just sold one of my rigs. Got 2 7x gpu rigs left. Does not seem very profitable at the moment. Got the itch to rebuild a 3rd rig with 1080ti

I'd like to finish mine (fill it with cards) just so I can declare it as a full rig but it's way too hard to get cards so I'm actually debating on if I just sell one of the 2 cards and cut my losses, then use the other one to upgrade my gaming machine. Heck this hardware is probably better than my gaming machine so could just turn it into a new gaming build. The 6U case is kinda overkill though but could repurpose it for something else in the future. For the time being I'll keep mining since it's still profitable, it's just that I won't be reaching ROI any time soon. I got in too late. Never would have figured ability to get hardware would be the show stopper.

It's off, just need moar air!

edit: I got the 2000rpm version of your bgears fans. rated for 103 cfm.

Last edited:
This is called the Hashcompactor aka stealth Emachines TI4150

Running at 45c-48c on the CPU and between 48c - 54c GPU1 and GPU 2 running on Equihash 700+ rate each bd. , 100 Core, 100 Mem, with 75% power

-Emachines T4150 GUTTED microATX case with (2)Noctua NF-A8 fans.
-MSI X299m Pro Carbon AC MOBO
-32GB 4x8 Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHZ DDR 4 SDRAM
-Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 SSD Drive
-Intel i7 7820x CPU w/ Noctua NH-U9S Cooler and 92mm fan
-Dual (2) MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 0 Ti GAMING X 11G Graphics Cards
-EVGA Super Nova G3 1000 Watt PSU
GPU's water cooled with EKWB GTX Waterblocks, Pump and Parts including 240PE Radiator and (2) 120mm Noctua NF-F12 PWM Fans

IMG_0449.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 0

Running at 45c-48c on the CPU and between 48c - 54c GPU1 and GPU 2 running on Equihash 700+ rate each bd. , 100 Core, 100 Mem, with 75% power

GPU's water cooled with EKWB GTX Waterblocks, Pump and Parts including 240PE Radiator and (2) 120mm Noctua NF-F12 PWM Fans

View attachment 60755

I'm assuming you don't just use that for mining

View attachment 60755

....buy a real case unless, of course, you live in the ghetto.

....buy a real case unless, of course, you live in the ghetto.

If I upgraded to a new fancy new case, two things would happen..my wife would know what I did to our old home computer
and I would have to upgrade from my matching Emachines 15" SVGA monitor and keyboard. But I can stream some kick butt
movies on my basement 102" screen with my projector this summer when it's to warm to run upstairs, I will move it downstairs.
Just wanted to see if I could fit 10 lbs of crap in a five pound box keep it cool and run some obsolete old school parts.
I am an early retired tech and stay at home dad.

I think the retro emachine build is badd-ass. i would like to see how you have your rads setup!

I think the retro emachine build is badd-ass. i would like to see how you have your rads setup!

I only have (1) 240mm radiator for the (2) 1080 ti board cooling, it is placed against the front of the case chassis. I removed the CD, Floppy, HD frame and cut out the chassis where needed after aligning the (2) 120 mm Noctua fans with the open space inside the plastic front panel with very little plastic cutting I found they fit and I could drill screw holes in the front of the chassis to attach them to the radiator. I sandwiched the remaining sheet metal between them that way to keep them tight. Just two major thoughts on converting a stock old chassis. I used a microATX case which left no room for a SATA Hard drive but my X299m MOBO had (2) M.2 SSD slots for that problem, there was only 1/4" of space between the end of the 1080 ti boards and the radiator as well but enough to put them in easy though when connected together with the Parallel EK water block bridge. The biggest thing is finding a chassis with deep 1" plus area for fans under the cover and available air flow ports pulling cool air in from the front. I cut out plastic out just above the USB jack in the front on the underside so you don't see it where it sticks out, and the floppy cover area for the top fan, I removed the power switch Headphone PCB in the center and cut the PCB board to keep the only power switch button and cable connector mounting it up by the top fan just behind the door to turn the PC on. The width is the biggest issue as the water blocks on the GPU's added 1/2" to 3/4" to the board height (NO issue with fans on stock GPU boards) but cooling is not as good as water in cramped spaces. The case cover was cut out around the water blocks ~4"x6"on the left side and I covered with a 1" cowling and repainted to hide the hole and protruding water blocks. I have to say the temps at idle general work is ~ 25-30c for GPU's and 30ish for the CPU and under my normal Nicehash runs the GPU's are at 49-55c and CPU is 40ish with its own Noctua S9 fan radiator at 75% Power 100 Core, 100 Mem settings never a single hick up since starting it up. Find a wider case to hide everything and the EVGA 1000W G3 PSU is frigging small and fantastic unit...if you have a chassis and want some ideas I am free to ask questions I am retired now ex Engineering Tech.

I now have all my rigs down in my shop building for summer. I sat them all on a 96" wide by 84" tall shelving unit:

shoproom-30.jpg

I'm pulling in air from the outside via a 36" 10,000 CFM fan:

shoproom-20.jpg

And the hot air is being exhausted via a 2nd 10,000 CFM fan mounted high in the gable:

shoproom-21.jpg

Temps yesterday never got above 72 degrees on any one GPU. I still plan to seal that 8x8 area where the intake fan is, forcing all the air through the miners.

I now have all my rigs down in my shop building for summer. I sat them all on a 96" wide by 84" tall shelving unit:

View attachment 71159

I'm pulling in air from the outside via a 36" 10,000 CFM fan:

View attachment 71160

And the hot air is being exhausted via a 2nd 10,000 CFM fan mounted high in the gable:

View attachment 71161

Temps yesterday never got above 72 degrees on any one GPU. I still plan to seal that 8x8 area where the intake fan is, forcing all the air through the miners.

Might need some sort of filter?

Maybe some speaker cloth from a fabric store or so something to that effect that you could shake out every couple weeks. Keep the bugs and larger dust particles at bay. Or i guess you could probably make a box and use a giant furnace filter? Nice easy spacing on your GPUs!

Might need some sort of filter?

Maybe some speaker cloth from a fabric store or so something to that effect that you could shake out every couple weeks. Keep the bugs and larger dust particles at bay. Or i guess you could probably make a box and use a giant furnace filter? Nice easy spacing on your GPUs!

Yep, got the filters already, just need to complete building the housing for them on the outside. There will be 10 24x24 washable filters. Here's the start of it:

shopintakefan-01.jpg

What are the temps like outside in the summer there? I could never do that in Texas

What are the temps like outside in the summer there? I could never do that in Texas

I'm in Central Virginia. Temps are typically in the 80's and low 90's during the summer. This week has been unusually hot with temps hitting 90 today and quite humid. It is still 89 right now and the rigs are all doing ok:

miner_temps_5_4_18.jpg

I'm hoping to bring those temps down some once I get done sealing up everything. I'm also still running my 1080Ti's at 200 watts and the 1070's at 120 watts. The temps shown in the AM pic is the GPU/Mining Card with the highest current temp.

I'm in Central Virginia. Temps are typically in the 80's and low 90's during the summer. This week has been unusually hot with temps hitting 90 today and quite humid. It is still 89 right now and the rigs are all doing ok:

View attachment 71275

I'm hoping to bring those temps down some once I get done sealing up everything. I'm also still running my 1080Ti's at 200 watts and the 1070's at 120 watts. The temps shown in the AM pic is the GPU/Mining Card with the highest current temp.
Ouch, those are some high temps! 70C!

Yeah, very close to 100% all the time. Here's a view from HIVE OS showing the individual GPU hash rates, fan speeds and temps:

hive_temps_5_4_18.jpg

The windows miners are similar. My rule of thumb is that anything less than 72 degrees is acceptable. So far I have been able to maintain that by manually adjusting GPU fans speeds in HIVE OS (can't wait for auto fan control), but I suspect we'll see days this summer when temps are going to be close to 100. But like I mentioned above, I not even close to having everything sealed up yet. When incoming air is hot, velocity is key. 72C = 162F, so given enough air to air heat exchange, 100F air should be able to keep keep the GPUs at under 162F.

Yeah, very close to 100% all the time. Here's a view from HIVE OS showing the individual GPU hash rates, fan speeds and temps:

View attachment 71320

The windows miners are similar. My rule of thumb is that anything less than 72 degrees is acceptable. So far I have been able to maintain that by manually adjusting GPU fans speeds in HIVE OS (can't wait for auto fan control), but I suspect we'll see days this summer when temps are going to be close to 100. But like I mentioned above, I not even close to having everything sealed up yet. When incoming air is hot, velocity is key. 72C = 162F, so given enough air to air heat exchange, 100F air should be able to keep keep the GPUs at under 162F.

Absolutely. You will have no issues maintaining 72 or below. Easy.

Why run them at 100%? There is a point where the watts you use and how much you make just makes no sense.
I found that the 1060's and 1080ti's seem to like 60% or so. I have not read about many people running full on unless electric is close to free and heat is no big deal.

Stock TDP on your baseline 1080 Ti is 225w.

In my experience building out a couple EVGA 8 card 1080 Ti rigs for a fellow [H] member, the 1080 Ti has a pretty good efficiency right up to ~175w.

(Equihash) I could easily maintain 3.75s/W at 175w at stock clocks. Hs were right around 650-700H or so.

Upping the TDP to ~200w did result in a drop of efficiency to ~3.5s/w, but i was 725H+ on every single card.

Those temps i see above are outstanding for being 1080 Ti rigs all bunched together, open-air or not.

Now, for the 1070s / 1070 Ti's (of which i have 55 of) - there is no point going up over ~120w, especially on the 1070.

I played around with different TPD settings on my 1080Ti's and found I was able to maintain 3.60 Sol/W all the way up to 200w.

Here's one of my 9x EVGA 1080Ti SC2 rigs:

hive_miner03_5_5_18.jpg

And the efficiency at 200w TDP:

hive_miner03_solss_5_5_18.jpg

And at 180w TDP:

hive_miner03_solss_180w_5_5_18.jpg

So I'm getting 3.6 Sol/w either way, so I might as well run at 200w TDP and average 719 sols vs 687 sols at 180w.

My 1070 rigs do much better:

hive_miner11_solss_5_5_18.jpg

Let alone my 1070Ti rigs:

hive_miner07_solss_5_5_18.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what Nvidia's next gen cards will do! I'm hoping 6 Sol/W but we'll see.

I played around with different TPD settings on my 1080Ti's and found I was able to maintain 3.60 Sol/W all the way up to 200w.

Here's one of my 9x EVGA 1080Ti SC2 rigs:

And the efficiency at 200w TDP:

And at 180w TDP:

So I'm getting 3.6 Sol/w either way, so I might as well run at 200w TDP and average 719 sols vs 687 sols at 180w.

My 1070 rigs do much better:

Let alone my 1070Ti rigs:

Looking forward to seeing what Nvidia's next gen cards will do! I'm hoping 6 Sol/W but we'll see.

No homo, but this gives me a chub

I love my 1070 Tis.

38 of the 55 are them, and they love it at 115w. Not a single one is under 4s/w, while putting out 470-500h/s @+175/350.

Outstanding cards.

Filter housing completed. Here's the completed frame without filters:

shopfilter-20.jpg

And with the filters installed:

shopfilter-22.jpg

The icing on the cake for dust control, was to spread out some topsoil:

shopfilter-23.jpg

And then seed and straw that area:

shopfilter-24.jpg

I have also had issues with erosion on the banks sloping down to the shop building, so I planted 1,000 periwinkles. Talk about a huge pain, but I finally got that done yesterday which then gave me the time needed to complete the filter setup.

Wow pclausen that's an awesome setup! Before I realized how hard it is to get GPUs it was my dream to buy land and build a solar powered mining farm. But I can't even fill my 8 GPU rig. lol. Now they are available again but at $800+ a pop it makes no sense to buy. I got in way too late.

Wow pclausen that's an awesome setup! Before I realized how hard it is to get GPUs it was my dream to buy land and build a solar powered mining farm. But I can't even fill my 8 GPU rig. lol. Now they are available again but at $800+ a pop it makes no sense to buy. I got in way too late.
I think I'd just be happy with the land! Mining setup is 100% bonus! :)

My hope is to be debt free in less than 5 years with a little help from crypto. Worst case, it will take 12 more years as I'm 3 years in on a 15 year mortgage @ 3.99%.

my goal has always been to ROI on mining in less than 2 years (yep, less than 2 years). talk to any proper business owner and tell them you will ROI in less than 2 years on your investment ($30-50k+) and their jaw will drop to the floor. i think in crypto, everyone's expectation is so high that it's inflated the reality of life, business, and ROI. don't be stupid however, invest what you can afford to lose (as with any business) because things can go south. as long as mining returns exceed electricity costs, i'm continuing forward.

pclausen be patient and weather out the storm. as people drop from the crypto scene, it leaves more for the rest of us. if i had your setup, it would be lined with GPUs, ASICs, and FPGAs from end-to-end.

Back