Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get the genuine leather pads? There's been really good reviews about them, though I don't think I'd ever use it since I sweat easily.

Tanget, what is this? Is it just something to hang the Ipod off your neck?

yeh... i like the look and design of the apple lanyard but the apple earbuds sound like crap. after using a nano case that had a lanyard for about a year i got sick of taking it apart to clean the nano and thought of making a lanyard with existing apple parts to preserve the look and feel. with the lanyard i made i am able to use any earphones i wish while keeping the device out of my pocket.

it only takes about an hour to put together and it looks far better then any other lanyard, production or homebrew, i have seen thus far.

my next idea is custom molded eim's with the nano lanyard. i am doing research on hearing aid production and there are kits to make ear canal molds available.

For the guy who asked earlier, I use a Low gain Go-Vibe V5 w/ AD8620 and 8610 opamps. I'm cheap.

Did you get the genuine leather pads? There's been really good reviews about them, though I don't think I'd ever use it since I sweat easily.

Nope, I bought em 2nd hand so I didn't have a choice, but even if I did I wouldn't have. The furry ones are the only way to go

Where did you managed to snag them? They sound phenomenal, I had the pleasure of sampling them just last week. Enjoy them :).

I just lucked out that I guy I know who lives near my father's house decided to sell his pair, and gave me a good price. Took a trip to see the old man, and got some new cans, two birds with one stone ;)

Wow, I'm actually very surprised at how popular the AudioTechnica L3000 are. I was never very impressed by their sound.....
(Maybe too grado like for my tastes)

Hmm....too Grado eh? I can understand that from the perspective that the L3000 has a direct and forward sound, not unlike Grados. However, the colorations that plague John Grado designed headphones (namely a calculate spike at certain frequencies in the bass, mids, and treble) certainly isn't present here. That's what most puts me off about Grados. I'm surprised you didn't like them, considering your relationship with the power-bass Beyers. These L3000's have some otherworldly bass. I've never heard a Darthed Beyer, so I can't compare there.

Also new L3000 owner :D
rockgod5.jpg

rockgod1.jpg

rockgod7.jpg

rockgod3.jpg

rockgod6.jpg

4.jpg

Glad to see you were able to get some new ones, AMD :)
Happy listening. Just don't wear them to a P.E.T.A. convention ;) (bunch of crazies)

I think that might have to do with meet conditions when they're turned up really loud. At the moderate levels I listen at the they're pretty balanced in my system. For a point of reference I thought the DT770/80 pro I had were too bassy (even at low volumes).

It is generally a pretty balanced sound. The bass is remarkable in it's extension, slam, and quality. It's the whole package of what one could want for great bass.

[A]MD-Fan;1031215062 said:
For a point of reference I thought the DT770/80 pro I had were too bassy (even at low volumes).

Ah, ok. I'm one of those who find the DT770/80 needing a little more bass.

Ah, ok. I'm one of those who find the DT770/80 needing a little more bass.

The weird thing about the DT770/80pro bass is that they certainly had bass volume, but I found it lacking in impact and texture.

Whereas the L3000 has the most textured, detailed bass I've heard in a headphone.

[A]MD-Fan;1031216663 said:
The weird thing about the DT770/80pro bass is that they certainly had bass volume, but I found it lacking in impact and texture.

Whereas the L3000 has the most textured, detailed bass I've heard in a headphone.

I thought the same, both with stock DT770s as Darth Beyers. They have lots of bass, but it didn't seem to be all that good. I was surprised with the Darths. They are sexy as hell, but I will never own a pair...

I never understood the appeal of Darth Beyers. All that money to 'fix' the 770, why not just buy a better headphone to begin with?

I never understood the appeal of Darth Beyers. All that money to 'fix' the 770, why not just buy a better headphone to begin with?

I doubt people are trying to fix the sound as opposed to improve it. I can understand why people like the DT770, it offers some surreal bass similar to what a high quality car system can do. Or entry level floorstanding JBL/Cerwin Vega speakers.That sort of sound isn't my thing, but I understand why it's popular.

They were some of my favorite headphones for movies, except for dialog heavy movies the midrange is a bit too pushed back on the DT770/80.

Also they were cool for rap and club (progressive house) music. Neither which I listen to much.

towert7 could probably answer this but I assume they pair best with lean solid state amps?

Just picked up some $8 AT knockoffs that pretty much sound like the real deal. Check your local Big Lots :)

p1010219or0.jpg

Just picked up some $8 AT knockoffs that pretty much sound like the real deal. Check your local Big Lots :)

You managed to snag a pair of those too, eh? Availability seems spotty, I am gunna have to hit up a big lots and see what I can find.

Yep, grabbed the last pair. These are now definitely the king of cheap cans! After a little more listening, they are not quite as good sounding as the ATs, but with the same comfort and better sound than the usual cheapies (KSC series/PX100/etc). With a little EQ bump in the low bass and a slight dip in the mids, these are awesome :)

[A]MD-Fan;1031216663 said:

Yea, the DT770pro have a fair amount of bass weight, and like you say they are lacking in bass slam and quality. Boy, I can't wait to hear the L3000 again now.

After I did my 'Drew mod' to my Darth Beyers, I have not heard a headphone sub 1000$ that I like better...... So, by 'fixing' up the DT770pro, I have saved money and got a pleasing looking headphone to boot.

[A]MD-Fan;1031218685 said:
towert7 could probably answer this but I assume they pair best with lean solid state amps?

I've actually never tried mine out of a Tube amp yet. I have a Woo WA6 on order, but it's still a few weeks off.

Stock, and heck even with my putty mod, these are warm headphones, so at the very least you want an amp that has a tight bass.

Right now I have mine running out of a fairly warm DAC, and into my GS-1 which has worked very nice so far, but I'll have to wait and see if my WA6 adds even more sweetness to it or if it becomes too much.

:D

After I did my 'Drew mod' to my Darth Beyers, I have not heard a headphone sub 1000$ that I like better...... So, by 'fixing' up the DT770pro, I have saved money and got a pleasing looking headphone to boot.

Is the Drew Mod a moon-audio cable replacement?

PS Audio GCHA is about $625 used and is an amp/dac I would say buy if you want to hear Darths at a really high level.

If you have a good source or dac MisterX makes some pimping amps for the Darths too.

Ray Samuels SR71 is nice as are Meier amps in general.

eim's are starting to grow on me and i am very happy with my e500 and e4c. what do you think of your e530 and how do the atrio m5 sound?

the e4's dont deliver enough bottom end IMO, while the se530's heap it up a bit..... maybe a warm amp is what i need :D

are those the black foamies?

i've been looking to get them, but dont know what size. I hear the medium ones are the same size as the yellow foamies - but also that they are the same size as the medium soft-flex (which are too big on me). the small soft-flex fit perfectly on me though, but so did the yellow foamies...dunno which one to get :confused:

are those the black foamies?

i've been looking to get them, but dont know what size. I hear the medium ones are the same size as the yellow foamies - but also that they are the same size as the medium soft-flex (which are too big on me). the small soft-flex fit perfectly on me though, but so did the yellow foamies...dunno which one to get :confused:

Yea, those are the new Black Shure 'olives' foam earplugs. I think I have small on the Shures in that picture. If you are thinking of getting some, your best bet is to start with the medium's and see how they fit, and then go from there (unless you want to order them all).

what do you think of your e530 and how do the atrio m5 sound?

This is what I think of the Atrio M5.

As for the shure SE530, I think they are a rip off, lack a smooth midrange, and lack bass weight and slam for my tastes.

I think I'm going to return both of these IEM's, they just leave way to much to desire, ESPECIALLY at the Shure's price.

This is what I think of the Atrio M5.

As for the shure SE530, I think they are a rip off, lack a smooth midrange, and lack bass weight and slam for my tastes.

I think I'm going to return both of these IEM's, they just leave way to much to desire, ESPECIALLY at the Shures price.

Really? hmm. I used them with an iMod + MisterX XP with ideal opamps and goodies of his choice equated to me smiling quite a bit Towert.

The amp has a funky fat bottom end btw. It may have been an ideal setup.

I thought I'd post an update since I'm back at my parents' house for the summer. The rest of the pictures can be seen here.

00%20(1).jpg

00%20(14).jpg

00%20(3).jpg

00%20(15).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back