Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
I built this case in three days.

3774535434_6d6e8f619e_o.jpg

3774535420_e6ec15524d_o.jpg

Haha, I have a steelseries, basically a random piece of aluminum, but I don't know why that is more suspicious then a box of aluminum.

I've got more ghetto pic's to come, just waiting for a gap (i've got loads!)...

that last Pic looks like my mates dodgy repair techniques were used to build it!

Someone needs to bring back the food stamp rating! I would but am never on enough to keep it consistent.

I pulled this LG monitor out of a trash can. That is pretty ghetto right there. I figured out that the back light was broken. Usually I would replace the capacitors with higher quality ones and that would fix it. But those cost money, and I wanted to do this for free. So I took some old computer CCFL inverters and hacked them in. Being too lazy to open up the monitor and make it look nice, I just zip-tied them to the outside and put some tape on them.

img9880q.jpg

If that's not ghetto enough, I also am using the power supply from my computer, so I have to plug in a molex from the monitor to the computer.

But, it works!

I pulled this LG monitor out of a trash can. That is pretty ghetto right there. I figured out that the back light was broken. Usually I would replace the capacitors with higher quality ones and that would fix it. But those cost money, and I wanted to do this for free. So I took some old computer CCFL inverters and hacked them in. Being too lazy to open up the monitor and make it look nice, I just zip-tied them to the outside and put some tape on them.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/819/img9880q.jpg

If that's not ghetto enough, I also am using the power supply from my computer, so I have to plug in a molex from the monitor to the computer.

But, it works!
Five out of five food stamps :D. Seriously, that is fucking awesome.

Heres my ghetto cpu cooler Mk. II
Mk. I is this post: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034351288&postcount=1519

That one 80mm fan barely moved any air, so i ordered two Cooler Master 80mm fans that spin at 2500rpm max, and are only 19db-ish.

This time I grabbed some steel wire to do the mounting. Here is the end result:
IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

The fan on the flat side, facing the ram dimms (that has the grille) is taking in air and the fan on the opposite side is blowing the air out to a 120mm fan on the back side of my case. The 80mm fan on the backside of the heatsink is running slower than the intake, and is controlled by the motherboard.

And man what a difference. I run the intake fan at full speed and noticed drastic drop in temps.

I would give you 5 duct tape rolls for that, but gotta take one off for all that cleanliness OMG way to organized for a ghetto fabulous five rolls.

Some thing I did awhile ago, dont know if its up to your ghetto standards, but it use to be an emachines case too.
Picture018.jpg

Let's try this one more time...

lillimon04:
Nice suspender clip, how long has that been holding?

Let's try this one more time...

lillimon04:
Nice suspender clip, how long has that been holding?
Thanks, and I think it only lasted for 2 months, then had to start using tape, and then I eventually gave up on it and got a new case.

i replaced my north bridge heatsink with a more better one,
the old one had to have a fan blue tacked to it to over clock a bit (100MhzFSB more than norm)

heres the pictures:

origional NB HSF:
dusty%20and%20fan.jpg

the singed NB under old HSF:
cooked.jpg

the replacement HS next to old HS:
dusty%20vs%20shiny.jpg

shiny new heatsink base (how i did this at end):
shiny.jpg

here is the new HS held by varnish coated copper wire wrap and home-made thermal tack:
shiny%20fits.jpg

about how i shined the heatsink, found an old crappy toshiba that someone i knew threw away because of slowness.
took out the thermal compounds (they were verry abbraisive) and mixed with sillicone grease.
slapped paper on a stock amd HS and slapped the compound on that.
rubbed the heatsinks together till the northbridge HS was shiny.

a last picture to top it up:
thermal%20tack.jpg

nope, it's not hash, nor is it anything drug-like or edible.
it is >40% silver thermal compound and rest bluetack,
i call it thermaltack, it's easy to make:
lump of tack, some leftover silver compound,
flatten and apply some compound,
fold and squeese,rub and pull to mix,
repeat last two steps till no compound left,
mix thoroughly,
do not use for gpu/cpu, but works a treat on ram,and overheating 'glue-logic' chipsets,
non conductive at low voltage (pumped 48v ac through without shorting amp) so works with overheating regulators/transistors and doesn't short pins when it 'spills-over'

for moderators/admins:
cant access tiny-pic with network, so hope you are fine with me using live.com's picture hosting.

is that for real? hahaha I have to google this one..

edit: all it found was suggestions for thermaltake or misspellings of it. :D

I call shens. 4 food stamps for originality though.

i only went as far as inventing it, i don't think there'll be much of a market anyway.
and i don't like the sound of mixing a few tonnes of the stuff! as making that amount made my hands ache quite a bit (wasn't as bad when most of the task was compleeted).
actually i made double the amount but already used some for gpu-ram and to help keep the NB heatsink in place.

yea, i think i'll use links for large pictures next time,

anyway who wants to see the innards of my ultra wireless router?

That's the kind of thing I like to see on forums. :D:D

But I have to ask you though, if you have all that equipment to work on things, why not spend the time to add quality to your craft?

Here's all I could find:

Years ago my old mouse cord had a break in it, so I took a multi meter and did a continuity test as I jiggled it. I found the bad wire and hacked it up and twisted in a new wire with straw, electrical and duct tape.
pdrm0077.jpg

The contents of this photo are 10 years old, the photo I think is only 4 or 5. Some ITX crap I got for free which eventually died.
labqu.jpg

My most recent. Shitty DFI ICXF3200 pissing me off again. This time it's DDR2-1066 that won't run correctly. The motherboard has been repurposed into a file server with slower ram.
I suppose my microphone is pretty ghetto too. It's one of those $9.99 mics I got for free with some cable bundling tubing on some bent aluminum conduit. Can't think of a better mic stand at the moment. Currently it's not assembled though.

img2027g.jpg

All I wanted was a 775 CFX board. On 7/31 I spent $100 for a MSI P45 Neo2 FR. Sent in a $15 rebate. Spent $15 shipping it around to have someone RMA it. Ewiz being ran by Communist China of course sold me a used broken item as new and then refused to RMA it and kept my IO plate. After I left them poor resellerratings feed back I received an email saying something like the Chinese Commies have removed my review due to it not being positive. 8/7 or something I ordered an Asus PQ5 Deluxe for $145 with a $15mir on amazon. Amazon played their "ships in 2-3 weeks" card on me so I didn't get the motherboard until just last Friday beginning of September. So I've spent $245 and waited over a month to get a 775 motherboard for my gaming machine. I still need to send in the $15 asus rebate, collect the MSI one, and then sell the MSI board assuming MSI is sending me back a working one.

Last edited:
minifolder:
Fix that, good grief! I can't even view what you're trying to show us. Just use picasa and the export feature. 640 x 480 would be plenty for those images.

at Zygomatic:
that looks like...:confused:...
OCD dis-organized tidyness, or,
organised mayhem, or something like that.

anyway i know that browsers auto fit pictures to screen when linked to them, so when i post anymore large pictures, they'll be linked to instead.

I want to see the True wireless router! I assume the sig one? Sounds interesteing

for these pictures i used vga mode on my camera, so they can fit page width, anyhing larger i'll post links to from now on. back to subject...

heres the pictures of my ultra wireless router...

innards:

uwr.jpg

and its case on:
uwr2.jpg

i lifted the positive leg on the power jack and attached it to the + on battery then to a switch. i connected the switch to the + on the board where i lifted the leg.
now i have a portable 12v battery and router in one!

semi-off topic:
if you're wondering why, it is to run unsigned code on my AVOS through a 'GFT' exploit in a wifi password field whilst i'm out and i can't afford a laptop at the moment, so i am planning on building one out of spares, an atx motherboard, an old cisco router (gutted), a few DC-DC and regulators, custom heatpipe cooling, and many other things.
and best of all it's going to be battery poweredand too ugly for thieves!

that's one of the main reasons i signed up to this forum.

Back