Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

Discussion in 'Case Mod Gallery' started by wolfofsin, Apr 25, 2005.

1. DIYmaster

DIYmaster n00b

I receive this embarrassment of a laptop for spares as it had power problem. Switch it on and after 2-3 seconds shuts down. Started to dissassemble the whole thing to see if I can pin point the problem and I found it's the motherboard. Without stripping any major components just for a laugh I chucked it in the oven at 200c and the black smoke started coming out. After 10min of baking took it off, noticed the 3v battery is missing and the PCMCIA? has melted.
    http://i.imgur.com/8Bk6fBq.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/tvmNcih.jpg
    Found out half of the battery but the rest is mystery
    http://i.imgur.com/xVKGjmh.jpg
    Never the less I decided to reconnect it all together and power it on. Unbelievable, it didn't shut down and Windows booted normally
    http://i.imgur.com/KBqle7M.jpg
    Next step was to take the hammer and make that PCMCIA slot presentable as the melted plastic jammed it shut. Turns out it's bolted so after 4 screws everything looked good.

See you in next episode!

2. D4rkn3ss

D4rkn3ss 2[H]4U

3. pheonix991

pheonix991 Limp Gawd

I was beginning to wonder what was ghetto till I got to the part about the battery. I've baked 4 video cards and an xbox 360 in my oven. Good times. Welcome to the baking club, we hold sales every so often.

4. bwat47

bwat47 n00b

Was getting so very sick of my gpu's plastic cooler shroud vibrating at certain fan speeds and making an annoying rattling sound:

http://i.imgur.com/kODkh58.jpg

5. garrable

garrable [H]Lite

+2 food stamps, please buy some canned air :)

6. Emission

Emission [H]ardness Supreme

This isn't really worthy of any food stamps but it made me think of this thread. How a "computer hardware enthusiast" keeps cool:

[​IMG]

And yes, this is my setup :).

7. Wibla

Wibla Limp Gawd

[​IMG]

Looks familiar!

8. Emission

Keeping cool is serious business ;)

9. dr_drift

dr_drift Limp Gawd

Got the inspiration for this a number of pages back. 7900 GX2 + wooden plaque = pure class, elegance.

[​IMG]

10. cortexodus

cortexodus [H]ard|Gawd

But... It's up-side down... :p

11. Jorona

Jorona 2[H]4U

And not ghetto. Duct tape it to a piece of cardboard that's hot glued to the wall. That's ghetto.

12. elite.mafia

elite.mafia Broke Back [H]

Not getting quite enough airflow with these Antec Tricools, so I doubled up on them. Honestly to me this doesn't look ghetto at all, but here it is... Case is a Coooler Master HAF Stacker with the smaller case on the bottom. I am running dual power supplies with a 7950 and a r9 280, at one point there was 4 video cards stuffed in there.... no pics of that though

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. colinstu

colinstu 2[H]4U

7950GX2*

7900s were way longer.

14. pheonix991

pheonix991 Limp Gawd

15. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Hell yeah! Nice! :cool:

But not Ghetto, -2 foodstamps

16. mytechtv

mytechtv n00b

Custom front panel with fan mount.
    [​IMG]

17. Emission

This is exceptionally classy. 3 food stamps for the clean cardboard and partially botched hole cut. -1 foodstamp for the washers on the fan screws. Very clever, but too proper ;)

18. plugwash

plugwash [H]ard|Gawd

My guess would be he had a case where all the 3.5 bays had fixed SATA connectors leaving no good way to mount a drive that was not SATA.

19. mytechtv

mytechtv n00b

Thank you lol. It is an old 4u rackmount case where the entire front is 5.25 bays. I wanted to put a fan in front of my half ghetto hard drive cage.

20. cortexodus

cortexodus [H]ard|Gawd

21. DIYmaster

DIYmaster n00b

Awesome! Well my car officially made it to WhiteTrashRepairs. So I'm not sure if I should be proud or embarrassed. That sexy engine tuning just screams function over form.
    http://whitetrashrepairs.com/white-trash/ghetto-repair/ and it's also featured on the main page http://whitetrashrepairs.com/
    I think the milk bottle was a nice touch. Shame that I've done some changes now since I took that photo and replaced the air filter for a steel mesh type + drain pipe elbow
    http://i.imgur.com/6RO7GI7.jpg

22. ScretHate

ScretHate [H]ard|Gawd

My allergies have been really bothering me lately, so I looked into purchasing an air purifier. Shocked by the extravagant prices for what amounts to a filter attached to a fan, I decided to build my own.

I present to you the ghetto purifier:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Materials purchased from Lowes:
    $16 Lasko box fan
    $20 3M Filtrete 1900 grade furnace fitler
    $1.5 Cheapo pre-filter for larger particles and hair

rive22 likes this.
  23. colinstu

colinstu 2[H]4U

can it actually blow anything anymore? lol how well does it all work?

24. ScretHate

ScretHate [H]ard|Gawd

A lot of air still comes out. I'll post back in a few days to let you know how it's performing.

25. H-street

H-street [H]ardness Supreme

The Ghettoness happens when you talk into the fan to her your voice oscillate :)

26. jmroberts70

jmroberts70 2[H]4U

I've done this for years!! I buy the most expensive 24" filter you can find and the hardware store, tape it to a 24" box fan and let it rip! It actually collects a LOT before it needs to be replaced.

27. mnewxcv

mnewxcv [H]ardness Supreme

this is a weird question, but does it do anything for odors (pets, smoke) ?

28. Makeroflostsouls

Makeroflostsouls 2[H]4U

You can buy charcoal filter's that will take out odors. Also thanks for the idea I'm in the process of putting down hardwood floors and oak steps and this will be great to keep the dust from going all through my home. My server rack is already covered in dust damn it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  29. jmroberts70

jmroberts70 2[H]4U

We never used it for odors. Just wanted to collect some of the dust and cat hair from the bedroom. I guess if there's a charcoal filter that's 24" you'd be set.

30. That_Sound_Guy

That_Sound_Guy 2[H]4U

Ahem, I don't see the masking tape listed in the price of materials. tsk tsk. :p

Only concern is how fast the fan motor will burn out with the added resistance. Cheap fan = Cheap motor.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  31. SticKx911

SticKx911 2[H]4U

My family did this all the time, except we only used one decent filter without the pre filter. They all worked for a good long time. We're all white noise people, so if you have to have a fan run while you sleep, might as well make it do something (like clean the air).

32. GioG

GioG [H]Lite

Now replace your computer's side panel with that. Extra points for connecting it via hinge.

33. colinstu

colinstu 2[H]4U

is it best to put the filter on the intake or outtake side of the box fan?

34. dr/owned

dr/owned Gawd

Intake. I did it for 3 years with 1 cheap 20" box fan and 20x20x1 filtrete filters and it worked fine. Airflow is restricted since the fan isn't really meant to generate pressure through a filter, but it still works.

35. AaronGant

AaronGant Limp Gawd

The following are photos of my home media file server. Server in name due to it's role, definitely not due to it's hardware.

Nearly everything is old and reused from something else, or in the case of a sata port multiplier a gift from someone who wasn't using it.

Interesting things: I moved the power button and LED indicators to the back of the case and basically use it and all the connections as the front of the system. The front faceplate was ripped off, cut open and I stuck a piece of pegboard with holes cut into it to mount some fans. all the fans are different, some are running at lower voltage to quiet things.

The nest of wiring is made up of power splitters, adapters, and the small wires are pulled from a piece of CAT5 and hooked up to each drive and to an individual LED on the back next to the power button. I thought it would be cool and servers are suppose to have a bunch of LED indicators. I had intended to shorten those wires after I had attached the LEDs and before I connected them to the cables for the drives, but somewhere between doing the two I forgot. I just put them in there instead of cutting them short.

Power button is a big green button like you'd find on an arcade cabinet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It sits on the shelf on it's side as pictured, just with the side panel attached.
    I just replaced a failed drive and remembered to snap these photos.
    those USB ports did get reconnected before I closed it up.

[​IMG]

36. D4rkn3ss

D4rkn3ss 2[H]4U

^^ ohmygaawd!! put it on the "rate my cables" thread!

37. QuiteSufficient

QuiteSufficient Sufficiently [H]ard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specs:

HP Athlon 64 era case from dumpster
    Dell 460W from broken Dell off craigslist with soldered cpu 4 pin extension and soldered 6 - 8 pin pcie
    RII Gene from generous forum member for $75
    Free 980X from broken HP Elite
    Used 6gb ram
    eBay gtx 480
    Used Seagate SSHD from Dell Laptop

runs like a champion. Going to cut a hole in the side of the case so it will go on over Hyper 212 this weekend.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  38. faugusztin

faugusztin 2[H]4U

39. suiken_2mieu

suiken_2mieu 2[H]4U

@QuiteSufficient, that's like suping up a station wagon.