Post Your Connection Speed

Damn sometimes I wish I lived in the states. Seem everyone has crazy fast connections. I'd probably start a small colo business or something if I had access to that kind of bandwidth.

2787348540.png

Damn sometimes I wish I lived in the states. Seem everyone has crazy fast connections. I'd probably start a small colo business or something if I had access to that kind of bandwidth.

Good luck with that, its almost always banned in the TOS, unless you pay 5x - 10x for the same line, just relabeled "business class". Average speed in the US is 3mbit/500kbit.

Here's what $55/month gets me just outside the second largest city in Maine:

If I lived in the city, i'd be able to get a whopping 3mbit/1mbit connection for $45/month! Alternatively, I could have 100mbit/100mbit fiber run to my house for $2500/month. Thats what drives me crazy here, we have all the fiber run, we have the capacity to switch over, but no one wants to offer fiber to residential address.

Good luck with that, its almost always banned in the TOS, unless you pay 5x - 10x for the same line, just relabeled "business class". Average speed in the US is 3mbit/500kbit.

Here's what $55/month gets me just outside the second largest city in Maine:

If I lived in the city, i'd be able to get a whopping 3mbit/1mbit connection for $45/month! Alternatively, I could have 100mbit/100mbit fiber run to my house for $2500/month. Thats what drives me crazy here, we have all the fiber run, we have the capacity to switch over, but no one wants to offer fiber to residential address.

it's coming, albeit very, very slowly. a quarter of houlton is lit up.. and we're in the sticks even compared to you guys. i pay $45/month for 100/100 since i have phone service with them (suck it, fairpoint).

it's not gonna be fairpoint (or any ILEC, for that matter..) that steps up to the plate is the thing. there's no way for them to cover costs of deployment and make shareholders happy. they can't even afford to get the entire state DSL access on our antiquated copper networks :rolleyes:

it's coming, albeit very, very slowly. a quarter of houlton is lit up.. and we're in the sticks even compared to you guys. i pay $45/month for 100/100 since i have phone service with them (suck it, fairpoint).

it's not gonna be fairpoint (or any ILEC, for that matter..) that steps up to the plate is the thing. there's no way for them to cover costs of deployment and make shareholders happy. they can't even afford to get the entire state DSL access on our antiquated copper networks :rolleyes:

Funny thing about all the fiber providers in Maine: they all ran their own backbone into the state, because Fairpoint's is crap.

There's also the Gig-U project around the University of Maine, but news on that died last year. No idea whats going on with it.

Last edited:
Funny thing about all the fiber providers in Maine: they all ran their own backbone into the state, because Fairpoint's is crap.

There's also the Gig-U project around the University of Maine, but news on that died last year. No idea whats going on with it.

check here. they're still rolling it out last i heard, but it's available to quite a few now. $140/month for gigabit service.

wizdum...that is crazyass ping you got there

That speedtest server is hosted on one of TWC's oversold nodes, I actually have a better ping to servers outside my state. Its not good, but it usually hovers around 40ms.

Because I despise speedtest.net, this is my results from SpeedOf.Me (due to hating flash and java...)

130629060938-11654.png

Last edited:
Cool did not know about that site.

My phone seems to have struggled with it though. Seemed choppy while doing it which I guess affected the results.

I like how it does a graph though, paints a quick picture of the connection stability too.

Brand new AT&T Uverse "Power" HSIA Tier.

Advertised speed is 45/5

Just rolled in the Midwest and Southeast as of today. 55/6 Bonded pair profile using a Motorola NVG589. Profile is good for 2200ft (for now).

I was the first install in the midwest.

Modem has an actual IP-Passthru too.

Upgrades are good, Comcast Business decided that I needed faster speeds today for free :)

Downloading a torrent:
100.png

A little better today , but gaming still suck! (time for a complete network upgrade)

I've heard from several friends with TW, that gaming with them sucks......

I use Suddenlink here in Tyler, TX and they did a complete $250 Million network overhaul here last year and gaming is great now, I can usually get 10ms or less pings to Dallas!

Just upgraded my crappy Uverse plan from 6/1 to slightly less crappy 12/1.5. Only managing about 10mbit down and about 1.3mbit up. I can't wait until my AT&T contract is done so I can get a real ISP again.

@ iGamer
I've heard from several friends with TW, that gaming with them sucks
That is an understatement, it more then sucks. Depending on the game you are like a no name character fighting Neil from matrix

@ TheMusketeer
I'm just curious, with your posted speed, how is your gaming still sucking?
Yup still sucks very badly , and makes a lot games unplayable!
Lag spikes, constant buffering, internet black outs, non stable connection

Last edited:
2931275910.png

New shitty ISP, bad customer support and fucking shitty as hell upload speeds!!

Last edited:
Yup its a wired connection, unstable one second you get your plan speed and second later you get:

Oh Boy!!! I just connected mines with a wire, and it is absolutely crap too!!!! I'm assuming it has to do with the modem they give you. Try bridging it to a wireless router you have. I'm going to do that and comment back on how it goes.

Edit: So after bridging my router (which took like 2 hours because TW customer service is total crap), I still ended up with the same result. I don't know how to fix this issue!!!!

Last edited:
This speed must be at a college! :eek:

Nope that was from my house. CFU 1G/500M service. Mind you I work for them and have been testing from home. Also used a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite when I ran that test so it was behind a router and through NAT. I don't like it's interface much so I went back to my Soekris and OpenBSD for now. Also IPv6 on the EdgeRouter Lite seems flaky and I've been testing that as well.

My 25/2 TekSavvy VDSL Unlimited connection. I'm actually in Calgary but all TekSavvy DSL customers on the Telus infrastructure pop out in Vancouver.

Hope TekSavvy starts offering the 50/10 soon that Telus is currently offering.

2942147112.png

Back