Post Your Connection Speed

Corrected an improperly terminated connection on my Cat5e running from the ONT and now my speeds are :

:D

1721928949.png

I like the fact that FiOS offers decent upstream.

I pay for 25/25, the lowest you can get from FiOS in my area.

My guess is the add 5 extra mbit to the downstream so that people watching on demand and doing speed tests at the same time don't complain.

I have on occasion toyed with the idea of getting one of the faster internet plans, but they are more money, and I'm not sure for what benefit. 30MBit down is more than fast enough for me.

Here's my connection at school.. the main connection the school uses is a 114Mb/s download/upload... bandwidth throttling/caps FTL :(

Here's my connection at school.. the main connection the school uses is a 114Mb/s download/upload... bandwidth throttling/caps FTL :(

Hehe,

You should have experienced Umass internet in 1999 to 2003 when I was there.

When I started everyone had Tau units (sortof like a modem but for digital phone lines?) They were really slow and you got kicked off if you were online too long (I forget the time, 30 minutes?)

My dorm was one of the first to be wired with Ethernet in late 99. On campus things worked great, but as soon as you tried to go out to the internet it was a slow experience. This was when Napster first started gaining popularity and the OIT was completely unprepared to deal with the traffic explosion.

Pings off campus were ridiculous. I ran a few gaming servers on campus though, and it worked out really well. Since noone could play outside campus due to the terrible pings, we wound up with a close and tight knit gaming community that wasn't as fragmented as it would have otherwise been.

Those were some good years. but yeah, the internet sucked.

After upgrading to Timewarner's Wideband (30mb down - 5mb up plan).
Pros- faster speed and finally a decent upload
Cons- I have to use their router.

No you don't, just put the modem in bridged mode. (I have TWC Wideband 50/5)

Edit: If you have the Motorola SBG6580, here are the steps (You can prolly skip the last part of Step 5, i didn't need to do that)... https://gist.github.com/1130675

No you don't, just put the modem in bridged mode. (I have TWC Wideband 50/5)

Edit: If you have the Motorola SBG6580, here are the steps (You can prolly skip the last part of Step 5, i didn't need to do that)... https://gist.github.com/1130675

I have the following:
Ubee DDW3611(wideband) - Internet
Arris TM602G (original modem) - Internet phone

I was hoping for modem that was able to do both wideband & internet phone. Since I live in NYC, a city with one highest utility(electricity) prices in the country. I was hoping for a more efficient way of doing both.

Last edited:
I have the following:
Ubee DDW3611(wideband) - Internet
Arris TM602G (original modem) - Internet phone

I was hoping for modem that was able to do both wideband & internet phone. Since I live in NYC, a city with one highest utility(electricity) prices in the country. I was hoping for a more efficient way of doing both.

Shit, wish i could help. I would suggest googling it, i'm sure you can put one or the other into bridged mode. (Although, you're going to need the DOCSIS 3 modem for wideband)

Speaking of which, my 50/5 TWC service has been nothing but crap the past few days. I was only getting 1.5-4Mbps last night, got fed up and called. Even the service desk people were shocked, a tech is coming Monday hopefully to fix this BS.

6 day evaulation:
Wired - constant download and upload speed (no problem)
Wireless - keeps fluctuating anywhere from 3 mb to 21 mb down and 4.5 mb upload
Gaming - (Gears Of War 3) has gotten horribly worst, whether I use a machine gun, shotgun, or my visa credit card . I cant earn or buy a kill lately.
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]

Just after finishing the network here at my cousins business and house. Its wireless to ISP also

Seems like a good idea to post before the hopefully immanent upgrade of my exchange/cabinet to FTTC

Recently moved to a new apartment and amazed that my speed actually went up being I am now surrounded by more people then at my last location.

I pay for 50/8 but I will take 60. :D

Question of the day?
Is wideband actually giving a real speed increase or is it another form of powerboost?

Now that I got my PFsense multiwan working...

EDIT:
Work

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1038360015 said:
heh,

My work speeds are pathetic.

My home internet is like 15 times faster.

My speeds at work are very inconsistent. There will be times when it is MUCH slower :D

Home:

Home - 100Meg Charter circuit
1691348228.png

Colo - Phoenix
1796583875.png

With the activation fee waived this month for DSL installs I swapped over to a 16/1 adsl2+ connection and here is what I'm getting right now.
1839406912.png

I'm going to try swapping out the modem from my tplink 8816 to something with a broadcom chipset,clean up some wiring and see if I can squeeze a bit more out of it.

I'm still wanting to move over to cable eventually as the packages I want have been bumped to 28mbit from 24.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1763499892.png
They changed my plan from 5 to 6mbit and I just got the upgrade last week.
I also happened to get put on a 7mbit profile which is nice.
I am still planning on moving to their 16/1 adsl2+ or 24/1 Docsis 3 cable.

Last edited:

Can`t wait for the doubling in July, should go from 30/3 to 60/6 although, I have heard rumours that it` will be more like 60/10

Fingers crossed....:eek:

Cleaned up some of the wiring in the house and now I'm seeing these speeds.
1843801800.png

I still want to try a different modem to try and improve my line stats so I can try and get bumped to a higher speed profile.

With the activation fee waived this month for DSL installs I swapped over to a 16/1 adsl2+ connection and here is what I'm getting right now.
1839406912.png

I'm going to try swapping out the modem from my tplink 8816 to something with a broadcom chipset,clean up some wiring and see if I can squeeze a bit more out of it.

I'm still wanting to move over to cable eventually as the packages I want have been bumped to 28mbit from 24.

Back