Post Your Connection Speed

2022062228.png

decided to get a new modem so i didn't have to pay comcast's rental fee. Had the SMC unit here is the before with it
2109069567.png

and with my new SB6121 in place
2112735826.png

Paying for 12/2 so i'm winning quite well haha

Zarathustra[H];1038291172 said:
1721928949.png

I like the fact that FiOS offers decent upstream.

I pay for 25/25, the lowest you can get from FiOS in my area.

My guess is the add 5 extra mbit to the downstream so that people watching on demand and doing speed tests at the same time don't complain.

I have on occasion toyed with the idea of getting one of the faster internet plans, but they are more money, and I'm not sure for what benefit. 30MBit down is more than fast enough for me.

So I finally upgraded to the new FiOS bandwidth, 70Mbit down, 35Mbit up.

The closest speedtest server didn't have enough bandwidth to accurately test my speed :p

I had to use one further away, but that resulted in a higher ping :p

2117957435.png

Looks like you still get a little downstream bonus with FiOS, presumably to cover set top box traffic and still allow you to reach the speeds you pay for.

Cable Internet - advertised 50/5
cableT.jpg

U-verse VDLS - advertised 24/3
VDSL_T.jpg

pfSense Dual WAN - 74 Mbps down
DualWAN_T.jpg

I've always been curious about the dual WAN setups, and load balancing.

I presume that each connection only uses one WAN at a time, and this really only helps when you have multiple connections going at the same time. Is that correct?

Is pfSense smart enough to choose the WAN that will produce the lowest latency/highest speed for your given connection?

Before, and after >
2099167078.png
2152960326.png

We complained to Virgin about some pitiful speeds we were getting, sometimes it was around 5Mb/s down, others it wasn't even 1Mb/s. They upped our package to the 60Mb/s and gave us the new superhub thing for free, and told us we'll get either 100Mb/s or 120Mb/s once they've installed Fibre in our area, which will apparently be in 2013 lol.

Zarathustra[H];1039097403 said:
I've always been curious about the dual WAN setups, and load balancing.

I presume that each connection only uses one WAN at a time, and this really only helps when you have multiple connections going at the same time. Is that correct?

Is pfSense smart enough to choose the WAN that will produce the lowest latency/highest speed for your given connection?

Correct, many protocols, like https, don't like WAN load balancing so your traffic will only go over one WAN.

pfSense gives you the option to setup triggers on the gateways so if one experiences packet loss, high latency, or both, it excludes it from the group until the gateway returns to the latency you specify.

http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Multi-WAN_2.0

2153798910.png

Home.. 20/5 fios.

2153800720.png

2153811349.png

Work, my personal servers sit on redundant a redundant 1gbe from our routing. Speed test doesn't go much more than that. The firewall (pfsense) I'm using gets wirespeed gig-e.

Last edited:

anyone else get a speed bump from Comcast? I had a 30/5 connection a day or 2 ago, now I have a 60/10. the test was done from my laptop -> rdp to the wired desktop.

I retested with a Comcast server

Last edited:
Upgraded to a MiFi 4620L (4g modem/router) because Verizon thought it might help us get a better signal. The new MiFi has a 7db external antenna on it as well (not cheap from eBay). No 4g out here, so it's still pulling 3g. How's it doing...?

speedtest090612.png

Not so hot, then. Here's a handy guide to what to expect from Verizon in rural NC (I might be a tad bit biased tho)... made it myself.

vzwconnectionweb.jpg

...maybe if I sell a kidney I'll be able to afford good Internet... maybe...

EDIT: I've been informed that kidney sales are illegal, so never mind on that :(

Last edited:
Upgraded to a MiFi 4620L (4g modem/router) because Verizon thought it might help us get a better signal. The new MiFi has a 7db external antenna on it as well (not cheap from eBay). No 4g out here, so it's still pulling 3g. How's it doing...?

speedtest090612.png

Not so hot, then. Here's a handy guide to what to expect from Verizon in rural NC (I might be a tad bit biased tho)... made it myself.

vzwconnectionweb.jpg

...maybe if I sell a kidney I'll be able to afford good Internet... maybe...

EDIT: I've been informed that kidney sales are illegal, so never mind on that :(

There's no ground based broadband available?

I'd move man.

Zarathustra[H];1039116388 said:
There's no ground based broadband available?

I'd move man.

Can't move. Too poor and we have nobody to help.

Cable co wants $3100 for line and installation. Not kidding. (We have a ~500ft driveway, that's their excuse.)

Actually a bond between a u-verse 24/3 and a comcast 16/2. Both the fastest connections available in my area. PFSense with traffic shaper configured.

Cable co wants $3100 for line and installation. Not kidding. (We have a ~500ft driveway, that's their excuse.)

My friend was able to trench his own route from the street to his house, the cable company installed the cable in the open trench for free. Total cost? $500 for the trencher rental.

That's retarded. It's their job to get the service to your house. If you have a driveway, even if it is paved, they can do a buried drop. Even telco companies don't charge to get a drop to your prem.

On the other hand, if you don't have cable on any side of your property, that may be why they want to charge you for their infrastructure. Kind of like if a farm wants 3-phase power and the closest 3-phase is the next street over.

BTW, neither cable or phone "trench" when burring a cable anymore. They use a very small "blade" that drags the cable through the ground. You end up with about 1" of damage to the soil that is gone after 1 or 2 good rains. 500ft takes about 40mins.

Last edited:
Er, there's no place I can find within an hour of my house that rents ditch-digging or cable-laying equipment. Used to be a place in town with that stuff, but they banged up completely a year ago :( I've called every Lowe's and Home Depot within an hour, it can't be had.

The cable is at the end of my driveway. IIRC it's exactly 472' from there to my meter box. Gotta bring the damn thing in there cuzza some sorta grounding BS. (Lightning'll hit the pine trees long before it finds the house, so I dunno what the heck they're talking about.)

Driveway's gravel btw. Not that it matters.

Er, there's no place I can find within an hour of my house that rents ditch-digging or cable-laying equipment. Used to be a place in town with that stuff, but they banged up completely a year ago :( I've called every Lowe's and Home Depot within an hour, it can't be had.

The cable is at the end of my driveway. IIRC it's exactly 472' from there to my meter box. Gotta bring the damn thing in there cuzza some sorta grounding BS. (Lightning'll hit the pine trees long before it finds the house, so I dunno what the heck they're talking about.)

Driveway's gravel btw. Not that it matters.

Get online to the local cable company, place an order an schedule an install date. Don't mention anything about the distance to your house. When the installer shows up have him lay a temporary cable drop down the side of your driveway and put in a buried drop request. Won't cost you a dime and he'll lay RG-7 or RG-11.

The way Charter does things prevents that. They *have to* get a distance measurement first. They won't come and do shit without that, and they definitely won't do shit without the dough in hand first, either.

I agree that they're being retarded, but I've basically two options: (1) pay them the extortionist fee and get cable from them, or (2) don't get cable from them at all. Right now I'm going with (2) because my name isn't Bill Shits-Onna-$20 Gates.

15/10 aroostook county (the boonies) fiber. getting upped to 100/100 sometime here hopefully, if i can afford it. :D

Last edited:
Back