Pixel 8 / Pixel 8 Pro / Pixel 8a

I'm curious what you consider "wretched" or why. The Pixel 7 pro probably has the best battery life of every phone I've used. I normally get over 24 hours on a battery with normal usage. Playing games obviously changes that.
View attachment 596115
Pokemon go, which I had open for hours yesterday (at full screen refresh) was my biggest drain, as it should be.

I've owned a lot of smartphones over the years, I'd say the 7 Pro's battery life is average, it's not terrible, but certainly not great.

The iPhone 13 Pro Max has insane battery life, as does the S23 Ultra. But the Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 7 Pro have mediocre battery life on comparison.

My Pixel 7 Pro can't last a full day on a single charge during the work day;

-20+ phone calls a day
-Dozens of texts with pics attached
-Dozens of emails
-GPS Navigation going to job sites
-Surfing the web on the network, not WiFi
-Being outdoors with the brightness at max

During the workday and into the evening, I'm easily at 6 hours Screen on Time and the battery just gets destroyed with all that.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/5/23860807/pixel-8-pro-leak-colors-google-simulator-360

Looking at the side profiles it seems they are going to a matte finish like the Pixel 4 XL had, and not the cheesy glossy sides anymore. That's a great move.

But that blue color, looks great on the back, but the sides, ugh no way, fugly. The matte black sides actually looks really nice, and so does that porcelain color, it seems almost titanium color and with the matte flat side color looks nice too.

Side profiles;

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 07-36-22 Google leaks Pixel 8 Pro again with a 360-degree preview.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 07-36-22 Google leaks Pixel 8 Pro again with a 360-degree preview.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 07-35-51 Google leaks Pixel 8 Pro again with a 360-degree preview.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 07-35-51 Google leaks Pixel 8 Pro again with a 360-degree preview.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 07-35-13 Google leaks Pixel 8 Pro again with a 360-degree preview.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 07-35-13 Google leaks Pixel 8 Pro again with a 360-degree preview.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
The Pixel 7 Pro launched at $899 in the U.S. last year, now Google's going to up the price almost 25% on the 8 Pro, and for what reason? It's just a minor upgrade over the 7 Pro. Typical year to year phone upgrade.

Best Buy regularly has the S23 Ultra on sale for $949. That or get the 8 Pro for $1,100?

Best Buy regularly has the S23 Ultra on sale for $949. That or get the 8 Pro for $1,100?

S23 Ultra for me, unless rooting and de-Googling is a goal. Or unless a flat screen is a 100% requirement (I want it, but not enough to drop $1100 on an 8 Pro).

I want but will be disappointed when they do come out and will continue to wait for the next one to be better. Sounds like the GPU market.

People online are saying those prices are European prices and expect the U.S. Pixel 8 Pro to come in starting at $999

Aside from the 8 Pro's performance, my purchase decision will hinge on the trade-in value of my 7 Pro.

If the 8 Pro's black color truly does have a matte black frame, meaning no more glossy / shinny sides, but matte black like the Pixel 4 XL had, then I will go black, and slap an orange dbrand skin on the back, to make it truly like the 'Oh So Orange' color from the 4 XL.

Still the best looking Pixel;

Attachments

• 61Rw9S8TRdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61Rw9S8TRdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 61uMKI8oroL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61uMKI8oroL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 0
Aside from the 8 Pro's performance, my purchase decision will hinge on the trade-in value of my 7 Pro.

++

If I can go from the 7 to 8 for ~$50 + tax, like I did for the 6 to 7, then it's almost silly not to. Though if the price hike rumors pan out I doubt such a good trade-in deal will be in the cards.

If the 8 Pro's black color truly does have a matte black frame, meaning no more glossy / shinny sides, but matte black like the Pixel 4 XL had, then I will go black, and slap an orange dbrand skin on the back, to make it truly like the 'Oh So Orange' color from the 4 XL.
Didn't you go iPhone last year? Why are you switching back?

Didn't you go iPhone last year? Why are you switching back?

I went iPhone back when the 12 Pro Max was new, I had it longer than expected, for like 6+ months, then ran back to a Pixel, and been with Pixel phones since.

I will say Apple designs very high end phones with great hardware. But iOS ugh I just can't get comfortable with it, too long of a laundry list to discuss why I don't care for it, and much prefer stock Android based phones.

Still the best design Pixel phone;

Attachments

• google-pixel-4-colours-1510.jpg
    google-pixel-4-colours-1510.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: T4rd
like this
Just watched most of the Apple event today on the iPhone 15 series. Yawn, zzz... It seems rather cringe and just to much of a big production event, but also seemed cheesy, trying to sell more product when there really isn't a major need.

Yes Apple designs super high-end devices, and great hardware, but it seems so outdated and lame with iOS the way it is. I'd be far more interested if iOS got a major overhaul and big redesign, and not just new phone hardware

Oh well, easy choice for me, the Pixel 8 Pro all the way over the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Just watched most of the Apple event today on the iPhone 15 series. Yawn, zzz... It seems rather cringe and just to much of a big production event, but also seemed cheesy, trying to sell more product when there really isn't a major need.

Yes Apple designs super high-end devices, and great hardware, but it seems so outdated and lame with iOS the way it is. I'd be far more interested if iOS got a major overhaul and big redesign, and not just new phone hardware

Oh well, easy choice for me, the Pixel 8 Pro all the way over the iPhone 15 Pro Max.
....but...TITANIUM!!!!!

I'm considering moving to iOS after 13 years being on Android simply because I'm tired of the "second class citizen" experience. Tired of USB C ports failing on every single Pixel phone I've ever had. Tired of lackluster displays and battery life. Tired of apps being the last to be updated. I really don't tweak or customize my phone at all anymore - just need it to work.

....but...TITANIUM!!!!!

I'm considering moving to iOS after 13 years being on Android simply because I'm tired of the "second class citizen" experience. Tired of USB C ports failing on every single Pixel phone I've ever had. Tired of lackluster displays and battery life. Tired of apps being the last to be updated. I really don't tweak or customize my phone at all anymore - just need it to work.
BOOM! ^^

The iPhone 15 Pro looks pretty damn good to me.

I'm mostly a home body and really don't need an expensive cell phone, but I think I like Samsung the best overall. Dex desktop concept is just neat. I haven't used an Apple product in at least a decade, but I will admit the emergency and health monitoring features of Apple products seem nice. Pixels seem to have good cameras for the money, but I've heard too many mixed things about them.

I'm due for a new phone soon and might pickup an S23 Ultra after the price drops a little. I'm tempted to just wait for the S24 though. It's really just the better camera, modem, and functionality as a backup desktop computer and internet connection that appeals to me.

The P8 will most likely disappoint for the following reasons..

The Tensor will not be any better
Still no face security
Still the same design
Still the same screen
Still the same charging speed

And we can keep going, I just don't see it. On the other hand, the iPhone 15 looks damn good and packed with goodies and screams good quality.

Pixel 8 will run cooler and be more efficient;

https://www.androidcentral.com/phones/google-tensor-g3-rumored-improvements

https://9to5google.com/2023/09/12/google-tensor-g3-pixel-8-heat-rumor/

https://tech.hindustantimes.com/mob...big-improvements-expected-71694428634133.html

-No FaceID, uh who cares
-iPhone uses the same design, Samsung using the same design, so does Google again
-Nope not the same screen. It will now have a FLAT display, with a 30% increase in brightness, and the 120hz screen will go even lower to save on battery
-Charging speed, don't care, I only charge at bedtime overnight

The best of all the Pixel runs stock Android which is ten million times better than the outdated gimmicky Fisher Price iOS.

Wasn't planning on upgrading anyway, more than happy with my current P7Pro, but this is a pretty mediocre yearly update. Good thing that the P7 is gonna be supported for 5 years.

The sidegrade no-grade was the 6 Pro to 7 Pro

I know because I did it, and there was virtually zero differences, I didn't see anything different between the two phones, the 7 Pro should've been called the 6.25 Pro. Practically the exact same phones.

I'll be ordering a P8 Pro and 15 Pro Max. I'll keep the phone that gives me the best WOW factor.

Pixel 8 will run cooler and be more efficient;

https://www.androidcentral.com/phones/google-tensor-g3-rumored-improvements

https://9to5google.com/2023/09/12/google-tensor-g3-pixel-8-heat-rumor/

https://tech.hindustantimes.com/mob...big-improvements-expected-71694428634133.html

-No FaceID, uh who cares
-iPhone uses the same design, Samsung using the same design, so does Google again
-Nope not the same screen. It will now have a FLAT display, with a 30% increase in brightness, and the 120hz screen will go even lower to save on battery
-Charging speed, don't care, I only charge at bedtime overnight

The best of all the Pixel runs stock Android which is ten million times better than the outdated gimmicky Fisher Price iOS.

Some good points here, but honestly the Nexus/Pixel bonus was always the stock Android experience, but other than that, the phone itself has always been a meh and prolly always will be.

Some good points here, but honestly the Nexus/Pixel bonus was always the stock Android experience, but other than that, the phone itself has always been a meh and prolly always will be.

Tru dat

I wish there was an easier way to "pixelify" my S23. The S23 is the android phone I always wanted hardware wise...just without the true Pixel/stock experience.

I wish there was an easier way to "pixelify" my S23. The S23 is the android phone I always wanted hardware wise...just without the true Pixel/stock experience.

This is what held me back from getting a S23 Ultra. Because I know I would try to force it to be like a pixel phone. I wouldn't get a launcher to make it look like a pixel and install Google apps as my default apps.

And at the end of the day I would probably be disappointed because it's not a pixel. It's great as the hardware is in that phone.

Not specific to the Pixel 8, but Google seems to have overhauled "At A Glance" for all of their devices. Not sure I like it, but I'm somewhat interested to see what other UI/UX changes are coming once the Pixel 8's (and Android 14) launch.

As far as the Tensor 3 and it being better than the T2, I'm not holding my breath for it being a night and day upgrade, I think it will realistically just be a bit better, rumors 15% to 20% better, but hopefully it is better in the efficiency department, giving better battery life and running cooler.

I might actually go with the the smaller Pixel 8 this time, as it will finally also have the 120hz display, and I'm starting to get sick of these giant smartphones, they're not easy for one handed use, I wouldn't mind a more pocket friendly easier to hold phone, the Pixel 8 will have a 6.1" screen, down from the Pixel 7 6.3" display.

Back