Pixel 8 / Pixel 8 Pro / Pixel 8a

My first pixel was the pixel 5a, all of us got one here.. Mine died first, just frozed and that was it, done , dead. Then my daughters did the same thing.. The misses got spooked and took the trade in offer towards a 7pro in hopes that the non A series would hold up better... I loved that phone, but 2 out of 3 failing? I'm apprehensive AF to buy any more.. Maybe it was due to the A series being made cheaper perhaps... But my god.. It still depresses me.. That thing had an awesome camera.. Now I have a moto g 5g 2022 unlocked phone... It's alright, but just not the same <insert sadness here>

My first pixel was the pixel 5a, all of us got one here.. Mine died first, just frozed and that was it, done , dead. Then my daughters did the same thing.. The misses got spooked and took the trade in offer towards a 7pro in hopes that the non A series would hold up better... I loved that phone, but 2 out of 3 failing? I'm apprehensive AF to buy any more.. Maybe it was due to the A series being made cheaper perhaps... But my god.. It still depresses me.. That thing had an awesome camera.. Now I have a moto g 5g 2022 unlocked phone... It's alright, but just not the same <insert sadness here>

That's strange. My Wife has had her Pixel 5a for two years now, no real issues, except it can feel a bit laggy or choppy at times.

I've had the Pixel 7 Pro since launch, and it's worked pretty darn well all this time, no major issues whatsoever.

I don't think I've had any performance issues with any phone I've ever owned. That's across across Apple, Moto, Samsung, Google, and LG. It's usually been a new feature I want or my phone's battery life falling off a cliff after 2 years that gets me to buy a new phone. The latter in most cases. There's something about that 2-year mark that seems to be the "unsweet spot" for batteries starting to die quickly.

It's not because it was an A series. It was a specific issue with the Pixel 5a, I'm pretty sure it was motherboard related. I had one die too, it was after the 1 year warranty ended but I was still able to get it replaced by Google because they extended the warranty an additional year in the U.S. and Japan.

Meanwhile I had a Pixel 3a XL for quite a long time and that thing help up great. A friend got the Pixel 4a at launch and is still rocking it too. A series aren't inherently bad, just the 5a.

It's not because it was an A series. It was a specific issue with the Pixel 5a, I'm pretty sure it was motherboard related. I had one die too, it was after the 1 year warranty ended but I was still able to get it replaced by Google because they extended the warranty an additional year in the U.S. and Japan.

Meanwhile I had a Pixel 3a XL for quite a long time and that thing help up great. A friend got the Pixel 4a at launch and is still rocking it too. A series aren't inherently bad, just the 5a.
Oh? It was specific to the pixel 5a's? I didn't know this.. Wish I knew, i'd exchanged mine before it died when their first offer came out to do so... Any news on the pixel 7a's having issues? My local sams has em for 499 unlocked right now...

Has there been any news on p[possible upgrades from 6/7 series to 8? I'd still be 6 but Goggle let me upgrade to 7 for about $20... And the processor sounds worth it to me (7 does get pretty warm gaming / WiFi mapping).

Has there been any news on p[possible upgrades from 6/7 series to 8? I'd still be 6 but Goggle let me upgrade to 7 for about $20... And the processor sounds worth it to me (7 does get pretty warm gaming / WiFi mapping).

I wouldn't expect any trade-in pricing to be announced until the 8/8 Pro actually go up for sale.

Oh? It was specific to the pixel 5a's? I didn't know this.. Wish I knew, i'd exchanged mine before it died when their first offer came out to do so... Any news on the pixel 7a's having issues? My local sams has em for 499 unlocked right now...
Yes, specific to the 5a's. There is some discussion here and here; you can also find a good bit of users on Reddit who had this issue. I think reballing the Snapdragon 765G fixes it so it was something with the production of the motherboard / how the SOC was attached to it.

There are no known widespread issues with the 7a or even 6a that result in failures like this AFAIK. Just the inherent struggles of the Tensor / Tensor G2 which in my opinion (having owned a 6a and 7 Pro) is poor thermals and slightly underwhelming performance (doesn't make the phone unusable but Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 phones are way better). Hoping the Pixel 8 with Tensor G3 is a big improvement, but my gut tells me Tensor won't be good until 2025 / Pixel 10 when Google switches to an in-house design (rather than a slightly modified Samsung Exynos) and uses TSMC for manufacturing instead of Samsung. 5a was the last Snapdragon and shame it was a dud. Really liked that phone especially with the rear fingerprint sensor.

r2b1z5vc57qb1.jpg

Ugh, Pixel 8 line using the old UFS 3.1 not the 60% faster UFS 4.0 like Samsung uses on the S23 series.

Is that main storage? (I had time to look it up, and WTH!? Why use something half as fast and twice as power hungry?)

Last edited:
Which color Pixel 8 Pro?

Attachments

• Pixel-8-Pro-Best-Color-1366x911.jpg
    Pixel-8-Pro-Best-Color-1366x911.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Pixel-8-Pro-Porcelain.jpg
    Pixel-8-Pro-Porcelain.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Pixel-8-Pro-Bay.jpg
    Pixel-8-Pro-Bay.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 0
Man, on a different forum someone brought up the point of being stuck, can't leave the iPhone for the Pixel 8 because of iMessage, and I replied some stuff, and people freaked one me. WTF? So in 2023 people still feel trapped to iOS because of some text app? Uh just download WhatsApp or Telegram, and problem solved.

I got my shit jumped and people flipping out on me over my reply;

"It's funny, I live in the States, and have had zero problem having my iPhone friends + family downloading and installing WhatsApp and Telegram to better communicate with us Android users. Even older folks that are not techies whatsoever were able to.

So iMessage isn't a must have in the U.S. it's just another text app, and there's better options out there.

I certainly wouldn't allow one app ( iMessage ) to make me feel like I must stick with a phone ( iPhone ) hell no. Actually that would make me we want to dump that device just in spite of said company trying to force me to be locked into their system. F that.

In the year 2023 it boggles my mind that some people say that can't leave the iPhone specifically because of fear of losing iMessage. LOL really? "

Another guys reply on this LOL

" This is my exact scenario as well. It's the thing that probably kept me from switching solely to Android. My entire social circle, family and friends, uses iMessage and FaceTime except for one person. I could talk my spouse into switching to another app but not the other 10-12 people I message with regularly. Sadly I'm stuck with the iPhone because of iMessage "

WTF?

Best feature of iMessage is its security, IMO. Google Fi allows messaging from browsers on Windows and Mac devices, so that negates another advantage of iMessage.

Not really. If they’re giving that many away for free it will tank the eBay value.
Flawed logic. If someone wants the watch without having to buy an 8 Pro, I'm betting they'll gladly pay $150-$200 for the one I'll sell rather than $350 from Google or another retailer.

Man, on a different forum someone brought up the point of being stuck, can't leave the iPhone for the Pixel 8 because of iMessage, and I replied some stuff, and people freaked one me. WTF? So in 2023 people still feel trapped to iOS because of some text app? Uh just download WhatsApp or Telegram, and problem solved.

I got my shit jumped and people flipping out on me over my reply;

"It's funny, I live in the States, and have had zero problem having my iPhone friends + family downloading and installing WhatsApp and Telegram to better communicate with us Android users. Even older folks that are not techies whatsoever were able to.

So iMessage isn't a must have in the U.S. it's just another text app, and there's better options out there.

I certainly wouldn't allow one app ( iMessage ) to make me feel like I must stick with a phone ( iPhone ) hell no. Actually that would make me we want to dump that device just in spite of said company trying to force me to be locked into their system. F that.

In the year 2023 it boggles my mind that some people say that can't leave the iPhone specifically because of fear of losing iMessage. LOL really? "
Normies in the US are hooked on iMessage - getting them and their network of friends to switch is a challenge to the say the least. Most are not going to completely switch messaging apps for 1 or 2 people. Signal/Telegram, while secure, are just not user friendly to normies due to how that security is achieved. WhatsApp is huge internationally but hasn't caught on as much in the US except for those with international friends.

Normies in the US are hooked on iMessage - getting them and their network of friends to switch is a challenge to the say the least. Most are not going to completely switch messaging apps for 1 or 2 people. Signal/Telegram, while secure, are just not user friendly to normies due to how that security is achieved. WhatsApp is huge internationally but hasn't caught on as much in the US except for those with international friends.

Thanks. That's a good reply and I totally agree

But I will add this to it. There's tens of millions of iPhone users in Europe and why are they so easily and readily able to download and install a third party app for messaging on their iPhone?

But here in the states Americans are just so reluctant and majority won't.

Why is that?

I'm sure that it's rooted in how the various cell providers charged for talk and text.
But I'm going to chalk it up laziness.

On other forums people saying they'll make the iPhone 15 Pro Max their main, and Pixel 8 Pro secondary phone.

Do you guys / gals so the same?

Not me, one phone is enough.

On other forums people saying they'll make the iPhone 15 Pro Max their main, and Pixel 8 Pro secondary phone.

Do you guys / gals so the same?

Not me, one phone is enough.
Maybe one for work, the other for personal use? One phone is all I need.

Thanks. That's a good reply and I totally agree

But I will add this to it. There's tens of millions of iPhone users in Europe and why are they so easily and readily able to download and install a third party app for messaging on their iPhone?

But here in the states Americans are just so reluctant and majority won't.

Why is that?
It's just the way the the cultures are. In Europe people mainly use WhatsApp and that's been established for some time. Go to Asia, they use Line or KakaoTalk. In North America most people still just use SMS/MMS/RCS/iMessage to talk to all their friends. I think it's silly you would ask someone to download another chat app just to talk to you when no one else in their friends group uses it. On the flip side when you go to one of these countries where pretty much everyone is using something else, then sure it makes sense to put that on your phone if it's already established that the vast majority of people use it.

Maybe one day the European Union will force Apple to adopt RCS and the fragmentation can lessen in North America. They forced Apple to put USB C on the iPhone 15 series, and I believe they will be voting on sideloading apps and RCS support at a later time on iOS too. But with the USB C change it made sense to only produce one series worldwide so everyone got it, however RCS and sideloading is a software support thing. Apple could easily not enable those features in the U.S. unless the government forced them to which IMHO is unlikely.

one phone is enough.
One phone is enough for me too, especially when you can run eSIM + physical SIM on the Pixels (and probably most phones these days) for 2 phone numbers.

https://www.droid-life.com/2023/10/02/pixel-8-pixel-8-pro-get-early-unboxing-love/

Ouch, the comment section at the bottom of the site on this article. People really unhappy with the same fingerprint scanner, and sounding like same camera module, as the Pixel 7 line, and performance and battery life rumors of it being pretty much the same as the 7 Pro, just marginally slightly better. Tensor 3 maybe 15% to 20% better performer compared to the Tensor 2 in the Pixel 7's, but no word if thermals will be better or worse yet. Battery efficiency the same or better? Need to wait for real world reviews.

Back