Pictures Of Your Dually Rigs!

Zarathustra[H];1041562151 said:
Can't see any of your pictures :(

Apparently a.pomf.se is blocked as a "malicious website" by our firewall.

I can see 'em. I saw them twice, in fact: in the original post, and in your quote of the whole post. I don't think anyone here is able to fix your firewall.

I can see 'em. I saw them twice, in fact: in the original post, and in your quote of the whole post. I don't think anyone here is able to fix your firewall.

My bad, since I couldn't see them it completely slipped my mind that they would appear in my quote. I'll edit them out.

Wasn't expecting help with the firewall. it was more of an indirect way of wondering if that is a legit hosting site, and possibly a heads up to the poster that some (many?) people may not be able to see them.

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1041562572 said:
My bad, since I couldn't see them it completely slipped my mind that they would appear in my quote. I'll edit them out.
Thanks! :)

Seems like it's a legit hosting site to me. But those get blocked at work because the content is unknown and uncontrollable, and only rarely work-related. (And, probably more likely, because whatever firewall service vendor decided to block them for whatever reason.) If you want to use it yourself, you can start at their home page whenever you're on a more liberal network.

jam? eh? im just a weeb who's slightly towards the hardware enthusiast side too :p

your hardware reminds me of that of the person that convinced me to look for a dual-socket motherboard in the first place. same type of machine... but looking back, their machine had some much different heatsinks on the CPUs therein. is that board meant to go with that chassis? that may explain it. the hardware along with the weeb name (and a nicely picked one at that) kind-of threw me off.

=======================
on a more topic-based remark, I have a dual-500MHz GigE PowerMac G4 I'd love to drop some pics of in here sometime.... after the thing is seriously cleaned.

your hardware reminds me of that of the person that convinced me to look for a dual-socket motherboard in the first place. same type of machine... but looking back, their machine had some much different heatsinks on the CPUs therein. is that board meant to go with that chassis? that may explain it. the hardware along with the weeb name (and a nicely picked one at that) kind-of threw me off

I've always recommended dual socket since my first socket 771 system a few years back, the coolers on here are new though before these zalman ones they just had standard intel 2U coolers on.

hmm the board and case aren't 'made for each other' but it's basically a stand alone server case so the board does fit very snugly, no wasted space and all the fans are on clips for easy removal but they are by no means made for each other XD the case is a chenbro the board is intel but it's not in the Intel case that's available (but then I'm not complaining given it all costed me nothing XD)

I am finishing a build for video editing and some 3D work

Tell me what do you think
xviepy.jpg

rvvldt.jpg

Motherboard: Evga SR-X
CPU: 2 x Xeon e5-2650
Ram: 4 x 8 Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz
Hard Drive: Kingston Hyper X Fury 240
Second Storage: Synology Diskstation 4 Bay conected via Ethernet
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
VGA: For now quadro FX4800 (waiting for Quadro K5000 to deliver)
Case: Xigmatek Elysium
Watercooling.... A lot of stuff from EK

Sorry for pictures quality

My second Rig
uthvry.jpeg

itrust.jpeg

MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z9PA-D8 Dual LGA 2011 Xeon E5-2600 Family + ASMB6-iKVM.
CPU: 1 x Xeon E5-2660 Series V2 2.3ghz (3.1ghz Turbo Cache) 10 Core/20 threads.
CPU COOLER: 1 x Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2 Silent CPU Cooler.
RAM: GEIL 4 x 8GB Quad Channel 1600Mhz CL9.
VGA: Nvidia Quadro K4000, PCI Express 2.0, 3GB GDDR5, 786 CUDA Cores.
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Creative SB1040 X-FI Xtreme PCI Express.
USB 3.0 ADAPTER: Delock 89315 2 X External + 1 X Internal 19PIN USB 3.0 PCI Express Card.
POWER SUPPLY: Cooler Master Power Supply V1000 80 Plus Gold.
OPTICAL DRIVE: SATA Internal 24X DVDRW w/DVDRAM.
CASE: Cooler Master

Video of Linus 'Techtips' destroying a pair of Xeon E5 2699v3's (by using cable ties to "secure" the heatsink instead of waiting a few days for the correct mounting hardware).

It's painful to watch.. this is what happens when you have more hardware than sense! :(

Hardware setup like that requires duct tape to secure the heat sinks properly.

Duct Tape FTW !!!

Video of Linus 'Techtips' destroying a pair of Xeon E5 2699v3's (by using cable ties to "secure" the heatsink instead of waiting a few days for the correct mounting hardware).

It's painful to watch.. this is what happens when you have more hardware than sense! :(

Yeah, I actually kind of raged when watching those..

Like seriously, he can't wait a few days to order the proper heat sinks instead of ghetto rigging some hardware that is almost the same price of my new car...

TWQhZw2l.jpg

2GtaF4jl.jpg

U4JWWWAl.jpg

uinvZ3dl.jpg

Supermicro H8DG6-F
2x AMD Opteron 6272
Be Quiet Pure Rock with a simple mod since it is not G34 compatible.

It wasn't easy to find something that would fit between RAM modules and 24pin plug (and RAM modules - MOSFET radiator on the other cpu) since there is just 9.5cm of space. After some research I've shortlisted to Thermalright Macho family and some Be Quiet coolers. I guess Thermalright Macho rev.B or Macho Zero would be best since they would cover whole IHS on CPU. Unfortunately in my country those are twice as expensive as Pure Rock and pretty close to the price of Noctua which does not require any modifications.
Budget was tight so I got cheapest Pure Rock's paid less than 80$ for both including parts for mod. They are sufficient, temps are low and noise is gone :)

Last edited:
ptak6BV3cIl73eH3MYdVD-uyag50ZUvxzz8otpGnA2amBGyQ4Fv8KY-OiXfFurhMVZY4BD-J1MgWvSk=w1576-h951-rw

jq-98VRuFvvVy5uf6svws6YwSDffNhw-nBNkwo-x0Uo7r8yXhlAlnZIDeKqSarr0rELphop6nvAhvN8=w1576-h951-rw

XdVZJrmODbUvd8TcNcs0QWwOy0vHIJS27Zrvu5E14OEWbJdt1WVGrCRHmqcOtxO9m-BbrQH3UHvE4bU=w1576-h951-rw

rNmi3qiKlt7ZIYnLO1-h4euZMx2_Ivl_nhSxz-kUndNqzUTuhADxI2zKc2JJvoirDDsep9rj1NqWRTo=w1576-h951-rw

Supermicro H8DG6-F
2x AMD Opteron 6272
Be Quiet Pure Rock with a simple mod since it is not G34 compatible.

It wasn't easy to find something that would fit between ram modules and 24pin plug (and ram modules - MOSFET radiator on the other cpu) since there is just 9.5cm of space. After some research i've shortlisted to Thermalright Macho family and some Be Quiet coolers. I guess Thermalright Macho rev.b or Macho Zero would be best since it would cover whole IHS on CPU. Unfortunately those are twice as expensive as Pure Rock and pretty close to the price of Noctua which does not require any modifications.
Budget was tight so i got cheapest Pure Rock's paid lass than 80$ for both including parts for mod. they are sufficient, temps are low and noise is gone :)

Don't have permission to view the pictures.

OK, here's my 'Dually rig':
My 2nd workstation is a dual Xeon Prestonia (2.4 GHz, LV, 40 W TDP each) setup with Windows Server 2008 Enterprise an 8 GB ECC Reg DDR-266 RAM (4x 2 GB) on a SuperMicro X5DPA-GG Board, 2x WD Blue 160 GB HDDs, HP dvd630 toaster, Matrox Parhelia PCI-X graphics, SB Live! 5.1 with active GamePort and Microsoft SideWinder joystick attached to it. :D

All mounted in a CoolerMaster Elite 372 case, with a beQuiet Pure Power L8 350 W PSU.

Why WinSrv2008 Enterprise x86? Because with PAE enabled, it can address up to 64 GB RAM. I don't like to fiddle around with kernel hacks...

Here are some pictures:

Last edited:
2x Dual Xeon 5355 2.66 quad core
Intel VSA 5000 motherboard
16GB ECC RAM
8x Seagate 2TB ST20000DM0011ER1 in Raid 10
1x San Disk SSD boot Drive
Mellanox Connect X dual port 10Gbit Infiniband adapter
Dell Perc H700
Akasa Eclipse 62 Case

Last edited:
My new FreeNAS box -

Chassis - Supermicro SC846E16-R1200B
Backplane - BPN-SAS2-846EL1
2 x 1200w Gold PSU's
MB - X8DTE-F
Old Intel x25 80GB SSD for boot drive
CPU - Xeon X5570 x 2
Memory - 64GB DDR3 ECC
HBA - LSI 9211 flashed to IT mode
Storage - 8 x 3TB and 7 x 1TB (waiting on 2 more 3TB to complete my media RAIDz2 volume)

PKD02Qx.jpg

I just finished building my new vSphere Hypervisor 6 machine that is replacing essentially my entire home network. I had previously a small i5-2500S machine running ESXi and three independent Atom boxes running various services, but I am migrating them all to this new box.

Supermicro SC846A-R900B
Supermicro X8DTE-F Motherboard
Supermicro SAS846EL1 24 bay SAS Backplane
2x Intel Xeon L5630 2.13GHz Quad Core CPUs
6x 2GB DDR3-1066 Registered ECC
Adaptec ASR-5805Z SAS Controller

For hard drives, I am re-using many of my WD Red drives for storage and downloading, but the VMs themselves are now running off of some HP 300GB 15K SAS drives that I had kicking around for a future need.

Total out of pocket cost for this setup is $320.54 after shipping. $258.65 for the Case, motherboard, SAS controller and backplane; $37.90 for the CPUs; and $23.99 for the memory.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums...E-3A88-4C25-A46A-2CB35EACC1A3_zpsrmofjakh.jpg

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums...5-D36F-41CA-87EF-AF795CE1EA0D_zpsdvsxpztu.jpg

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums...7-4050-46DB-9FE8-F2754798C628_zpss4dtypcb.jpg

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums...8-9811-4113-99ED-8A8394DAB681_zpsk5147ocq.jpg

Nice, I have a very similar system myself. I went with a Norco Chassis instead of SuperMicro, and I have the non-F version of that motherboard (great board! Love all the x8 slots) and dual 6 core L5640's, as well as 96GB of RAM.

This hardware may be older but it is still VERY capable today.

Starting to wish I had added more RAM though. I have an overabundance of CPU power, and PCIe expansion, but I always find myself a little tight on the RAM front. Such is virtualization, I guess.

I have mine filled up with 8GB sticks. I'd start replacing them with 16GB modules, but they are just so damned expensive...

Hi everybody,

Small contribution from Belgium. This is my dual Xeon rig I am messing with.
X-Case RM 424 Pro Rev 2
Supermicro X9DRH-7F
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2680 ES
I still have to decide for memory and hard disks.

General intention is to have it run ESX with a few VM to handle storage and stuff for streaming through the house.

IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

xeon.jpg

The Supermicro 3U chassis is housing storage now, but became to small :D
The bottom one is stil empty.
Once all the date has been moved to the X-Case, both Supermicro 3u boxes will be used to expand the storage.

Hi everybody,

Small contribution from Belgium, my dual Xeon rig being still under construction:
X-Case RM 424 Pro Rev 2
Supermicro X9DRH-7F
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2680 ES
Still have to decide on memory, hard disks and raid card

Intention will be to have this run ESX with a few VM's to handle storage and stuff for streaming through the house.

IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

xeon.jpg

The Supermicro 3U chassis in the middle has now all the storage, but became to small :D
The Second 3U chassis at the bottom is still empty.

Once all the date has been moved to the X-case, Both 3U boxes can and will be used to enlarge storage.

So I just bought this thing

oloDp4H.jpg

(pic shamelessly pulled from eBay since I'm still arranging freight)
Will be interesting to see how it performs, I've never owned a single image system this big (512 cores) before.

So I just bought this thing

oloDp4H.jpg

(pic shamelessly pulled from eBay since I'm still arranging freight)
Will be interesting to see how it performs, I've never owned a single image system this big (512 cores) before.

Holy moly, that thing is huge - 3 phase power as well:eek::eek:

Snagged from the Dell outlet Business a T7810 Workstation for $650

Here are the specs:

Dual Intel Dual Xeon E5-2609 v3 Processor (6C, 15MB Cache, 1.9GHz)
64GB DDR4 2133 ECC (4x16GB)
2TB HDD (I have a 256gb SSD i will put in for OS)
Quadro K2200

I will post some pics up when I get it. I figured I would use it for testing and I assume set it up to host VM's.

and im back on the xeons, have been away from them for a bit, but there's something about them that calls me back to them whenever i try to leave :p i should know better by now, the board i had with the L5640's did a boomerang though, same exact board that i had before, just got it back now :p running a pair of X5675's, 24gb ram (12x2gb) for now and a gtx 690 with a 760 for physx (also for now :p ) the rest is in the sig along with a validation, image here also (don't have any with the 760 in but the validation has it in)

pics (other links weren't working) https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8H2Nuzku6DlcGsweTJfUHh1Q2c&usp=sharing

whoa, you're in luck, you have no need for a space heater, just lug that thing around.

in all seriousness that's a lot of compute right there!

Just finished building this for my buddy for Rendering.

Running Dual X5750's with a SuperMicro x8dt3-ln4f and 48GB of RAM.

GPU is a 7970

Coolers are dual NH-D14's inside of a White Corsair Air 540, overall looks super slick.

PSU is a Corsair 750i Platinum.

udYUOds.jpg

ae27Vlt.jpg

jreCI4p.jpg

wkHLqT6.jpg

Parts arrived.. putting it all together. :woot:

Intel S2600CP Dual LGA2011 Motherboard
2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 2.60GHz 20MB Cache SR0KX (16 cores / 32 threads total)
128GB (16x8GB) Kingston DDR3-1333 ECC RAM
2x Zalman CNPS-10X Extreme CPU Coolers

20160420_193633.jpg

20160420_193726.jpg

20160420_193813.jpg

20160422_145518.jpg

20160422_145601.jpg

20160422_145621.jpg

20160422_155743.jpg

20160422_155941.jpg

20160422_155959.jpg

Would it not be better to turn the right-hand CPU cooler around and have the CPU coolers each blowing away from the other? Because right now one is blowing into the other.

Would it not be better to turn the right-hand CPU cooler around and have the CPU coolers each blowing away from the other? Because right now one is blowing into the other.

No, because you create a low pressure spot between the two coolers then.

This way, the airflow is more or less uninterrupted. Sure, the second cooler picks up some of the heat of the first. But it's not that bad.

If it were me, I'd drop this into my CoreV9 case and just dual watercool it.

Back