Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
6Linking an item is quite literally as likely as winning state lotto. 5Linking is really tough, too.

Anyway, if you're on this weekend I can help you out a bit. I have some pure armor and eva/armor items that may be upgrades. I don't think I will be on tonight. Tacos and Manny's Pale ale Thursday and all.

Link me your shit when you see me, I probably have some ring upgrades, too. I also have 3 stash tabs of skill gems.

That bad? :( Is it purely random, or do they have BS "weighting" on the backend to make it even less likely?

Thanks; I'll probably be on a little bit this weekend, but I really need to stay away and hash out a rough draft of a white paper I'm (well, should be) working on.

I've 5Linked a few items, but it wasn't easy. 6L items are typically the most sought after items in game. A well supported skill or set of skills on a 6L item can be insane. I'm not sure if it's weighted, but it's statistically unlikely even if it isn't. You're usually better off saving up and buying a decent 5L or 6L item from someone else. Having the rest of your gear 4L should get you through to endgame, anyway. Build issues aside, you really don't need anything 5Linked until you start doing level 70+ maps. 6linked items are never needed, but help significantly to get you running level 77 maps.

You're just lacking real mitigation right now. Do you have any energy shield or auras?

I run Purity and Grace for mitigation. I tried spec'ing into Iron Reflexes, but it seemed like my survivability actually went down afterwards, so I got rid of it and went into more damage. Perhaps I should take some more armor and/or HP nodes. If I can get a reduced mana gem or 2, I can run the +armor as well I think.

So when in the bloody hell are they going to officially release this game? Its been in Beta for 2+ years now.....

For all intents and purposes, open beta = release. Characters in Default / Hardcore will no longer be wiped, they have active support teams, the game is (mostly) stable + bug free.

From the looks of it, there will continue to be tweaking of mechanics / skills forever, some minor, some major. I would guess that GGG will finish Act 4, round out the story with some minor additions to other acts, then have a "big release" date made; which to people already playing will just be another major patch.

That bad? :( Is it purely random, or do they have BS "weighting" on the backend to make it even less likely?

Oh yea it's definitely weighted. Here's some stats from people tracking their usage on the PoE forums:

115129 - Four-link or less
790 - Five-links
129 - Six-links

Some quest rewards were redone, but there are more available passives at this point, too.

Cool! Hopefully they'll keep that up and i'll get more free skill points =P

Oh yea it's definitely weighted. Here's some stats from people tracking their usage on the PoE forums:

115129 - Four-link or less
790 - Five-links
129 - Six-links

Is this the total of people using Orbs of Fusing? That means there is a 0.11% chance...so a thousand orbs to even have a shot at it. Holy crap. :eek::mad:

Is this the total of people using Orbs of Fusing? That means there is a 0.11% chance...so a thousand orbs to even have a shot at it. Holy crap. :eek::mad:

Nope, thats people reporting data in a thread. GGG has not released the actual numbers.

But, yes. It's possible to burn through 1,000 fusings to get a 6L. Why that makes people angry, I have no idea. 6L items are at no point ever needed to progress. They are prestige items. Think of it like a Zod in D2, only more likely to happen.

This data was collected before they released the Quality change, so the odds may be slightly better if you're spending scraps/whetstones. People would report their findings in a thread and the OP tallied them up, so there's some margin of error i'd imagine.

Still it's enough to see that the odds are fucktarded.

It makes me angry because with the way it's implemented, i could spend 10,000 fusings and still never see a 6-L, if that's what the RNG has in store for me.

With such shitty odds, items need a counter where as you add more and more fusings, the odds get better and better.

Nope, thats people reporting data in a thread. GGG has not released the actual numbers.

But, yes. It's possible to burn through 1,000 fusings to get a 6L. Why that makes people angry, I have no idea. 6L items are at no point ever needed to progress. They are prestige items. Think of it like a Zod in D2, only more likely to happen.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I see your point of view, but 1000 seems a bit excessive, given that even 1000 is no guarantee of rolling a 6L. How much playtime would even be needed to gather 1000 orbs in the first place?

Can you even sustain the mana or hp regen a 6L would require?

With Blood Magic in there, I have absolutely no issue currently; even just sitting there spamming my 4L does almost nothing to my health pool.

no, not 1000 orbs to even have a chance. your first orb is as likely to do it as your 10th, as is your 100th etc. =P

Yeah, that's what I meant. I see your point of view, but 1000 seems a bit excessive, given that even 1000 is no guarantee of rolling a 6L. How much playtime would even be needed to gather 1000 orbs in the first place?

You'd trade for the fusings if you were dead set on crafting your own 6L. If we were playing "self found", a 6L item would probably never be attainable for all but a few people.

Knowing that should save you some headache. It is much easier to save up a few exalted orbs (or equiv) and buy one from someone. Crafting was never intended to be a rewarding system, overall. It's meant to help the economy, much like the retarded equipment repairing in D3, only with a chance to benefit you directly.

The only reason you would start using things like exalted and eternal orbs is if you're out of things to do and have too much currency on your hands.

I could with 4 more talent points... which i'd grind out in a hurry if i got a 6-L lol

I can't. :p At least, not with the supports I'm planning. I've buffed my casting speed so much, another 140% cost gem will be tough to counter. I'm just over 100 mps and never run out of mana now. If I run out of mana even for a second on higher level maps, I can get steamrolled pretty quickly. Being able to toss up a ton of minions in a couple seconds is what I've built my character around.

So when in the bloody hell are they going to officially release this game? Its been in Beta for 2+ years now.....

October I think.

I plan on hitting this game real hard from October till March (dark souls 2 woot woot)....hopefully they stick to that release date because based on what is currently announced I have a pretty big blank spot in terms of games from October to March.

I have patience and haven't touched the beta...nor do I want too. You people are crazy burning yourselves out on the beta version.

what are the coercive monetization tricks in this game?

Cosmetic effects.

Anything cool? Like can I make my dude look like David Hasselhoff in the 80's?

I spent years getting all the Set Items in diablo 2 to get that special glow to look like a bad ass....and looking like David Hasselhoff in his Knight Rider days would be just about as bad ass as you can get.

Dude for 1000 bucks I could do some custom art work and be David fucking Hasselhoff. Can you just imagine how bad ass it would be to be David Hasselhoff even if just digitally.

dun dunna dun dun DUN-da-dan, dun dunna dun dun DON

80's Hoff, or too drunk to eat a hambuger Hoff?

dude(?), you've got WAY too much infatuation for DH...

Not possible :D Its the only thing missing from PoE
hoff7.jpg

edit.....That is some bad photo shop on that finger.

This is a total load of crap in defense of a broken system. Skills are based on gems and links. 5l and 6l items are nothing like rare items in other games. It is a fundamental part of the game. And just like other fundamental parts of PoE (maps come to mind), GGG hides it behind aridiculous grind. I love a good grind and I put more time into these games than 99% of people out there. I like to get rewarded for my time, and PoE constantly comes up short in that department.

There is clearly a problem when I decide it would be easier to reroll from my 87 marauder doing 70-75 maps to a dual spork witch just so I can farm a zone 10+ lvls lower (docks). I'll also be farming onslaught currency to transfer to my SC character. It's sad actually.

The Diablo 3 equivalent would be making people pay to unlock runes...

Last edited:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/461242

Because 0.11.2 contains changes to the Ranger part of the passive tree, we've deeply examined how Evasion and Accuracy work in Path of Exile. Some changes have been made to how those values occur on monsters.

The first thing that became apparent was that dexterity-based monster had enough Accuracy to act as very hard counter to player Evasion. If you evade 50% of the time at level 50 but encounter a Ghost (which is a heavily dexterity-oriented monster), they'd be able to hit you around 70% of the time. Evasion based characters often prematurely ended their adventures in Wraeclast when they ran into groups of Flicker Striking ghosts.

In 0.11.2 we are making several changes to monster Accuracy and Evasion. We are completely removing Accuracy bonuses for dexterity-based monsters. Magic and Rare Monsters can still receive increases to accuracy from their mods but overall monster categories will no longer just wreck Evasion characters. As a contrast to this, dexterity-based monsters now demonstrate their dexterity by evading more than they did before.

Accuracy and Evasion values on monsters at higher levels have been heavily reduced. The exponential increases monsters gained made stacking Accuracy and Evasion a losing battle. Now if you choose to stack these values you will be rewarded with better chances to hit and evade.

This change has made a big difference to high level play. It has many beneficial consequences like increasing the value of good Rare Thicket Bows relative to Lioneye's Glare.

Here's another snippet from the new (still not final!) Ranger section of the tree.

More into on the upcoming patch. The changes to evasion sound like a great idea - and the new node in the ranger section looks sweet.

This is a total load of crap in defense of a broken system. Skills are based on gems and links. 5l and 6l items are nothing like rare items in other games. It is a fundamental part of the game. And just like other fundamental parts of PoE (maps come to mind), GGG hides it behind aridiculous grind. I love a good grind and I put more time into these games than 99% of people out there. I like to get rewarded for my time, and PoE constantly comes up short in that department.

There is clearly a problem when I decide it would be easier to reroll from my 87 marauder doing 70-75 maps to a dual spork witch just so I can farm a zone 10+ lvls lower (docks). I'll also be farming onslaught currency to transfer to my SC character. It's sad actually.

You can't seriously think 6L items are absolutely necessary to progression. If you can't come by a 5L item by level 87, you have a serious problem. Then you go on to say you aren't rewarded for your time while you're able to facetank 2 of the same harder hitting map bosses out there at the same time without taking hardly any damage.

Fuck, man. You made it to level 87, can do level 75 maps, and somehow the game doesn't reward you.

That analogy is so fucking stupid I don't know where to begin.

Dual sporker is unbalanced at the moment, which is why they have been rebalancing it. They already nerfed crit chance. Now they just need to make the build a little more gear dependant. If you base your opinion on balance around a single build, you're always going to be wiping your tears away when you play arpgs.

What sucks about nerfing dual sporker is that it has killed my Cast Spark, single spork totem "tanky" witch. I am no longer able to keep myself up reliably in 68+ maps, and I am seriously considering a new main spell if not a whole new spec for her.

The evasion changes look great for my claw dude though, excited to see.

Yep, they should have just lowered the effectiveness of a second totem instead of fudging with spark.

Dual spark has nothing to do with the availability of 5l & 6l items. I still don't see how my analogy is a bad one. Key character progression is locked behind ridiculous walls that most people will never break through. I've never had a 6l on any of my 85+ HC characters. The o lay reason I got one in SC is because of the crazy ratio I got trading currency from onslaught to standard.

Dual spark has nothing to do with the availability of 5l & 6l items. I still don't see how my analogy is a bad one. Key character progression is locked behind ridiculous walls that most people will never break through. I've never had a 6l on any of my 85+ HC characters. The o lay reason I got one in SC is because of the crazy ratio I got trading currency from onslaught to standard.

It isn't key character progression, or you never would have progressed. How many runes can you apply to skills in D3? 5? 6? Yea, no. Just 1. Your analogy is bad because it isn't analogous. The skill system is completely different. You're not locked out of using any skill gems. You're limited in how far out you can push those supports. 6L items on a good build are crazy fucking powerful.

1. Define "key character progression"
2. Define "ridiculous walls"

And stop bunching 5L's with 6L's. The difference in availability is exponential.

I usually get to 50+ without ever having a 4L. Sometimes not even a 3L.

He's also the one who said this. The probability of this statement being true is extremely low. A 3L item should take you, on average, fewer than 10. Especially on a 6S item. I've crafted just about every single item I'm using, and have had maybe a total of 200 fusings since CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back