• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Our First Bioshock 2 & Eyefinity Experience

I bet it's going to be easier after Fermi makes it out there.

Anyway, turns out this is the same widescreen disaster as BioShock 1, as noted in that Kotaku link reported recently. If you'd been able to go EyeFinity in its current state you'd be seeing so much less vertical than any 5:4/4:3 gamer does, and you'd have eyes in the neck.

This problem lies with the developers, but I would like to know if AMD had any contact with them and what it was about, before the game made it out.
 
Crossfire support is a driver issue and I agree with you on that.

Eyefinity support, on the other hand, is 100% a game issue. You really can't blame ATI if devs refuse to support proper FOV adjustment. They COULD create an official version of something like widescreenfixer, but that opens up a whole new can of worms such as anti-cheating systems thinking it is a hack, bugs and graphical glitches as a result of doing things behind the games back, etc...


Oh, it is a can of worms. However this is part of the problem with the technology in its current form, it relies on support from developers with a company who doesn't have a history of developer interactions. I think there is a LOT wrong with TWIMTBP, however something I can't fault them for is their shit works on the day of release.

Seeing how they aren't going to actually put any MORE effort into developer relations than what they have now I think we are simply going to have to wait for the game design cycle to catch up to eyenfinity just like we had to wait for games to support multi-cores and mulit-GPUs. Yes, games aren't using 8 cores, but most are using more than 1. Yes, mulit-GPU scaling isn't 100%, but in most cases it is 75%+.

Really this just feels like early SLI/crossfire days all over again.
 
Im pretty sure most have noticed it however theres not much more that can be hinted at

Ya, I guess just as a crossfire owner I would find it much more exciting to be discussing rather than the issue of bezels :D
 
Firstly, I'm excited about Eyefinity and will be setting it up once once I can justify the new video card and +2 monitors. Don't care about the bezels.

Secondly, stop with the car analogy. I can see what you're getting at, but no matter how 3D the game is, you will be watching it at a fixed focal length--in the same plane where the bezels are. It WILL bother some people in a way that struts in a car won't and they should stay away from the tech.

Why stop with the car stuff? It's the perfect analogy to how Eyefinity expands your gaming experience.

A few observations on the bezels:

1) No Eyefinity user (at least here and in the widescreengaming forum) appear to be concerned with the bezels. It's quite easy to not notice them when you're immersed to such an extent in the game.

2) Everyone complaining about the bezels hasn't actually tried Eyefinity in person. How can you realistically complain about something that could potentially impact the experience without having tried it yourself?

I don't mind you single monitor gamers out there. Some people like to crank everything up 100xAA 100xAF 100fps with a single monitor. More power to you. Just don't come into an Eyefinity thread and start complaining about stuff you've never experienced yourself. This is what gets my goat and many other Eyefinity users here.
 
Just wanted to comment on this whole subject including the Bioshock. I run 3 24" monitors wide..... it's impossible to play bioshock 2 in eyefinity.

Battlefied BC2 in eyefinity I get 2 FPS. but at 1920*1200 I get 140 FPS does anyone else have these issues?

I don't mind the Bezzele as everyones said one ur emerged in the game much like movies etc. You don't notice anything and the extra FOV is awesome. As u can see below eyefinity has great advantages.

http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q170/vin_diddy/?action=view&current=IMG_0649.jpg
 
This beautifully highlights everything bad I've said about eyefinity. The game is running like shit on a $700 graphics card, the support/implementation is terrible, and those bezels look really, really bad. Eyefinity just isn't ready for primetime with even moderately stressful games.
 
Why stop with the car stuff? It's the perfect analogy to how Eyefinity expands your gaming experience.

A few observations on the bezels:

1) No Eyefinity user (at least here and in the widescreengaming forum) appear to be concerned with the bezels. It's quite easy to not notice them when you're immersed to such an extent in the game.

2) Everyone complaining about the bezels hasn't actually tried Eyefinity in person. How can you realistically complain about something that could potentially impact the experience without having tried it yourself?

I don't mind you single monitor gamers out there. Some people like to crank everything up 100xAA 100xAF 100fps with a single monitor. More power to you. Just don't come into an Eyefinity thread and start complaining about stuff you've never experienced yourself. This is what gets my goat and many other Eyefinity users here.

The car analogy doesn't work because by looking through a windshield, you are focusing on objects beyond it. The struts will blur and become less noticeable, as will the dried bug guts on the glass. The fact that you have two eyes means you can actually see behind the struts to a certain extent. Everything in front of you is ultimately visible by virtue of only a slight tilt of your head.

By looking at a monitor, you are ... looking at the monitor (not through it).. Barring any blurring done in software, that Combine Advisor pod on the bridge in the distance appears as perfectly in focus as the Vortigaunt standing next to you. As does your monitors' bezels and the dried snot from your last sneeze.

I don't deny that the brain can compensate... in most people. At least a couple of posters on this thread have tried Eyefinity and not liked it. The technology is not for them and it's no use complaining about that.
 
This beautifully highlights everything bad I've said about eyefinity. The game is running like shit on a $700 graphics card, the support/implementation is terrible, and those bezels look really, really bad. Eyefinity just isn't ready for primetime with even moderately stressful games.

Way to generalize from one isolated incident. I play BC2 demo with 5870 eyefinity at 5760x1200 and I get 40-60 fps. Even when all hell breaks lose it barely stutters.
 
Originally Posted by JCDenton
This beautifully highlights everything bad I've said about eyefinity. The game is running like shit on a $700 graphics card, the support/implementation is terrible, and those bezels look really, really bad. Eyefinity just isn't ready for primetime with even moderately stressful games.

Yea more then likely it's becasue the game is in BETA!!. Everything new has glitchs though when it's new. I mean if people are to broke to pay for new tech. Don't Rip on it untill u actually get a chance to use it. I play all my other games maxed out at 40-50 FPS in eyefinity @ 5760*1200.


Way to generalize from one isolated incident. I play BC2 demo with 5870 eyefinity at 5760x1200 and I get 40-60 fps. Even when all hell breaks lose it barely stutters.

Are you running on DX9 or DX11
 
Eyefinity just isn't ready for primetime with even moderately stressful games.

So for crysis and the handful of other stressful games you run on the center screen. For all the other games that are console ports or use the UE3 you get 3x the view. What's with the hate?
 
Yea more then likely it's becasue the game is in BETA!!. Everything new has glitchs though when it's new. I mean if people are to broke to pay for new tech. Don't Rip on it untill u actually get a chance to use it. I play all my other games maxed out at 40-50 FPS in eyefinity @ 5760*1200.




Are you running on DX9 or DX11


The only two games that I CAN'T max out are Crysis (big suprise) and Arma 2 (another big surprise :p ).

Other than that, Hawx, MW/MW2, Dirt 2, etc....SCREAM with all eye candy on on my 5970 (I never thought I would see the day I would have to Vsync ON, but it's here.)

Sure that will change, but MOST games run very well on a single 5970 at those huge resolutions.
 
So for crysis and the handful of other stressful games you run on the center screen. For all the other games that are console ports or use the UE3 you get 3x the view. What's with the hate?

And with a little tweaking, I have Crysis VERY playable in Eyefinity. (with the Extreme Texture mod.)

So the only one I gave up on was Arma 2...just too damn buggy.
 
And with a little tweaking, I have Crysis VERY playable in Eyefinity

Truth be told I haven't actually tried Crysis since I already finished it. Maybe I'll try giving it some love again.

I haven't had any problems with TF2, L4D, L4D2, Batman, X3, Grid, Dirt2, Torchlight, UT3, COD4.


What are the stressful games again?
 
Truth be told I haven't actually tried Crysis since I already finished it. Maybe I'll try giving it some love again.

I haven't had any problems with TF2, L4D, L4D2, Batman, X3, Grid, Dirt2, Torchlight, UT3, COD4.


What are the stressful games again?

I guess we've narrowed it to stressful GAME. Arma 2. :D
 
Truth be told I haven't actually tried Crysis since I already finished it. Maybe I'll try giving it some love again.

I haven't had any problems with TF2, L4D, L4D2, Batman, X3, Grid, Dirt2, Torchlight, UT3, COD4.


What are the stressful games again?

And BTW...Crysis at 5040x1050 landscape ROCKS. :cool:
 
Yep. It's also pretty clear from watching a video with 3x1 Landscape that to get the effect you have to be sat at the point where the game thinks the camera is, and looking at the centre screen. Most people seem to understand this as the number of 'fisheye' comments is considerably less than the 'bezel' comments.

Actually the fisheye effect is what is putting me off getting Eyefinity, not the bezels. The fisheye effect is only realistic if you set up your eyefinity as a flat panel (instead of eachscreen angled toward yourself) and sit very close to it. Its a type of forced perspective, which assumes you are sitting very close to a flat screen to simulate a wide FOV, opposed to having 3 screens angled toward you and are sitting at a reasonable difference.
 
the funny thing about these 'eyefinity' threads...

almost everyone who has it... loves it...

almost everyone who doesnt... has two to the power of ten questions, opinions, etc about how bad it is, or how it doesnt work or how, or bezels this and that... etc etc etc

i have an eyefinity setup / i like it... but it's not as amazing as it could be because it's being held back by todays games..

they are dev'd with, at the very widest, a 16:9 ratio in mind... that being said... that's where the content is, that's where all your focus is centered...

sure it's nice to have extra landscape off to the sides and top... but does it add to the experience?

[too bad there isnt a smiley for the hand gesture that means 'kind of']

the hardware is there... and in some games it will result in more content both hor and vert - but in far too many it either stretches or compensates in some way, mainly due to incorrect aspect and fov

ill take some screen grabs later of bioshock 1 and 2 ... some will be of my single 37" at 1080p and some of my portrait eyefinity at 3600x1600

not just to show the difference in resolution - that's a given that one is much more than the other... but to show the difference in the actual view and if or not additional game real estate is there and adding to the experience
 
the funny thing about these 'eyefinity' threads...

almost everyone who has it... loves it...

almost everyone who doesnt... has two to the power of ten questions, opinions, etc about how bad it is, or how it doesnt work or how, or bezels this and that... etc etc etc

i have an eyefinity setup / i like it... but it's not as amazing as it could be because it's being held back by todays games..

they are dev'd with, at the very widest, a 16:9 ratio in mind... that being said... that's where the content is, that's where all your focus is centered...

sure it's nice to have extra landscape off to the sides and top... but does it add to the experience?

[too bad there isnt a smiley for the hand gesture that means 'kind of']

the hardware is there... and in some games it will result in more content both hor and vert - but in far too many it either stretches or compensates in some way, mainly due to incorrect aspect and fov

ill take some screen grabs later of bioshock 1 and 2 ... some will be of my single 37" at 1080p and some of my portrait eyefinity at 3600x1600

not just to show the difference in resolution - that's a given that one is much more than the other... but to show the difference in the actual view and if or not additional game real estate is there and adding to the experience

well its only natural to worried...

about spending this much money... when their might be huge drawbacks...

some screenshots would be nice... please post them...

if you would though please dont type like this anymore... its weird...

lol
 
Last edited:
Truth be told I haven't actually tried Crysis since I already finished it. Maybe I'll try giving it some love again.

I haven't had any problems with TF2, L4D, L4D2, Batman, X3, Grid, Dirt2, Torchlight, UT3, COD4.


What are the stressful games again?

Console ports and games running on a 5 year old engine. Pardon me while I yawn.

i have an eyefinity setup / i like it... but it's not as amazing as it could be because it's being held back by todays games..

LOL ok. Never mind that a $700 graphics card can't run today's games at 60fps in eyefinity. Clearly the "games" are what's holding eyefinity back and not the fact that ATI's cards aren't powerful enough to run them properly at eyefinity resolutions. 1 GB of memory isn't enough for 2560x1600, let alone eyefinity.
 
to be honest, amd should of waited to release the 5000 series gpu's until they got the proper drivers for it.

so far its been a joke with amd.

releasing the hardware before the competition means nothing to me if you dont have the working drivers for it.
 
Console ports and games running on a 5 year old engine. Pardon me while I yawn.



LOL ok. Never mind that a $700 graphics card can't run today's games at 60fps in eyefinity. Clearly the "games" are what's holding eyefinity back and not the fact that ATI's cards aren't powerful enough to run them properly at eyefinity resolutions. 1 GB of memory isn't enough for 2560x1600, let alone eyefinity.


I guess I am curious as to what "today's games" are.

And while Crysis is an old engine, it is still a VERY good barometer of performance, and the fact that it runs at ALL, let alone at playable FPS at Eyefinity res is pretty impressive...at least to me it is.

Everything else I am playing is at 60+...as I mentioned before I have to turn on Vsync on some to compensate for the extreme speeds.

And please don't read as sarcastic...I am being serious- what games are we talking about?
 
even in ten years from now Crysis will run like shit on future video cards.
 
even in ten years from now Crysis will run like shit on future video cards.



Mabye not as "optimized" as it could be-

But on single monitor I can FINALLY play that sucker fully maxed and get close to min 60 FPS...(it's about damn time :D )
 
to be honest, amd should of waited to release the 5000 series gpu's until they got the proper drivers for it.

so far its been a joke with amd.

releasing the hardware before the competition means nothing to me if you dont have the working drivers for it.

Out of curiosity, what do you think is broken with the 5xxx series drivers? My 5870 has worked flawless so far.
 
LOL ok. Never mind that a $700 graphics card can't run today's games at 60fps in eyefinity. Clearly the "games" are what's holding eyefinity back and not the fact that ATI's cards aren't powerful enough to run them properly at eyefinity resolutions. 1 GB of memory isn't enough for 2560x1600, let alone eyefinity.


Well at first I thought u we legitimately arguing but you just turned into a troll. Your inexperience with computer hardware and new tech shines. you should have quit while your ahead.
 
Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what do you think is broken with the 5xxx series drivers? My 5870 has worked flawless so far.

go to amd forums and you will find out, from possessed fans, downclocking issues, game crashing, poor eyefinity support, and alot more.
 
Actually the fisheye effect is what is putting me off getting Eyefinity, not the bezels. The fisheye effect is only realistic if you set up your eyefinity as a flat panel (instead of eachscreen angled toward yourself) and sit very close to it. Its a type of forced perspective, which assumes you are sitting very close to a flat screen to simulate a wide FOV, opposed to having 3 screens angled toward you and are sitting at a reasonable difference.

It looks like you might have to from a screenshot but it's fine in practice. As long as you look at your centre screen and move your mouse to look at things in your peripheral vision, instead of turning your head to look at the side screens (which breaks the effect).

When you first get Eyefinity you often look directly at the side screens and it's a bit disorientating. After a while you get used to just looking at the centre of the display, as you would if it were just one screen. You could always modify the FOV in a game by some method (Widescreengamingforum goes into this for most games) but I think you'll find it's fine by default.
 
go to amd forums and you will find out, from possessed fans, downclocking issues, game crashing, poor eyefinity support, and alot more.

I do Run Eyefinity 5970 Crossfire and these problems do exist.... somthing you gotta deal with for now untill AMD gets there heads outta there ass lol
 
I do Run Eyefinity 5970 Crossfire and these problems do exist.... somthing you gotta deal with for now untill AMD gets there heads outta there ass lol

well, that was my point. Dont release the hardware if people cant use it, plain and simple.

all the credit people give to amd for getting their gpu's out before nvidia is just one big joke for me.
 
Kyle and Team,

I just picked up Section 8 windows live game for 5 bucks and it supports Eyefinity out of box using the unreal engine, also picked up Wolverine Origins using same engine and it does NOT support Eyefinity. hope this helps, I was thinking of making a list since I have a CRAP load of recent games and jsut got 5970s for Eyefinity running one 24" in center and two 19" on each side for the time being.
 
Kyle and Team,

I just picked up Section 8 windows live game for 5 bucks and it supports Eyefinity out of box using the unreal engine, also picked up Wolverine Origins using same engine and it does NOT support Eyefinity. hope this helps, I was thinking of making a list since I have a CRAP load of recent games and jsut got 5970s for Eyefinity running one 24" in center and two 19" on each side for the time being.

ATI have something similar up and running on their Eyefinity minisite.

It's not the most comprehensive list in the world but it's helpful.
 
I'm never going to buy another car until they can get those damn pillars out of the way. I cant freaking drive with them in my way. I constantly pay attention to them and I'm always off the road and almost driving into other cars. From now on I'm walking until they make cars without pillars.
 
Back
Top