• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Our First Bioshock 2 & Eyefinity Experience

Our in car driving view is routinely blocked by pillars (A, B and C). We don't complain about them because our brain does a remarkable job of blending coordinated movement into one seamless experience.
Granted, but there is no suspension of disbelief when you're driving your car. You know there's "world" behind the pillars, and they're merely blocking your view of said "world". I'd have a hard time believing anyone could develop any kind of obsessive fixation of any sort with pillars to the point where they find driving unenjoyable, but I suppose I would at least acknowledge the possibility.

With visible bezels in a multi-display setup, there is no "world" behind the bezels (this is simulated with bezel management, however). The bezels aren't structural components of the game's proposed reality but structural components of your display hardware. To that end, they can possibly become distractive to the realization of an immersive environment. There would be no point in AMD implementing bezel management if the bezels were of absolutely no consequence to the immersion factor of multi-display gaming.

To that point, Eyefinity is going to be a perfect multi-display solution when drivers supporting bezel management are released -- basically as good as it can get given the constraints of requiring multiple displays. That's not to say, however, that's it's unequivocally for everyone and that everyone's experience with it is going to be ideal, because that's not necessarily the case. For some, a single large, wide monitor is going to provide them with the best overall experience given their specific individual preferences.

Now I suppose if someone's never driven a car, that person could perfectly express doubt in driving around with huge pillars splitting their view and complain about it distracting them to the point of unsafely operating the car. Of course your response would be, hey driving with the A-pillars doesn't bother me one bit (I'm hoping this is your response).
See above.
 
It looks like you might have to from a screenshot but it's fine in practice. As long as you look at your centre screen and move your mouse to look at things in your peripheral vision, instead of turning your head to look at the side screens (which breaks the effect).

When you first get Eyefinity you often look directly at the side screens and it's a bit disorientating. After a while you get used to just looking at the centre of the display, as you would if it were just one screen. You could always modify the FOV in a game by some method (Widescreengamingforum goes into this for most games) but I think you'll find it's fine by default.

I'm sure people using it think its cool despite the fisheye, but its one of those things that will bug the hell out of me, especially if I'm using it for racing games (which I often will) and I need to look out the side screens to see the apex.

They need to start bringing out patches to fix the fisheye. The fisheye effect is because of flat panel compensation. To get 150 degrees FOV with a flat screen you have to sit uber close and the flanks end up being much further away than what's in the middle, so fisheye compensates for this.. But with eyefinity the screens point at you, so you can conceivably get 120-150 degrees of FOV without requiring the screens needing to be fisheyed.

What I find funny is people saying "that's how its supposed to be, things on the side get stretched" err, no its not. Look forward and pay attention to something in your peripheral vision without actually focusing your eyes on it, does it stretch? It shouldn't :p

I know I know, when you're playing you wont notice it because you are so immersed. But if I'm going to be paying all that for it at the very least I want a proper field of vision :p
 
You people make my brain hurt. No matter how many times people say "you don't notice the bezels while gaming" and use scientifically proven FACT about the eyes to prove it you keep saying "the bezels will get in the way". So here, I'll say it in a hard to miss way:

YOU DON'T NOTICE THE BLOODY BEZELS WHILE GAMING! YOU ONLY SEE THEM IN THOSE VIDEOS BECAUSE YOU ARE WATCHING A VIDEO AND NOT PLAYING A GAME!

Here I'll toss in a couple analogies:

When you drive a car do you notice the frame on the windshield?

For those of you that wear glasses do you always notice the frames on your lenses?

When playing a game on a single monitor do you notice anything outside the view of the monitor?
How about a game where you are using a inventory screen alot? I could see where in the action of actual play, you'd get to where you'd ignore the bezels. Menu screens/inventory screens show the cutoff areas the bezels hide. I think that is what many see from the videos. I know I dislike seeing "what I'm missing" when a menu screen is shown on the videos.
 
I see your point there.

But realize, the way Eyefinity works, you don't "miss" anything...

For instance, and VERY ironic... in this post/qoute, the word "inventory" is across two of my monitors at the moment. But it's not missing anything. It's inven tory. Again, not ideal, but certainly,as I read your post, I knew what the words were. Mabye I am just used to my Eye setup, but I have no problem "auto completing" when reading across displays. Just a thought.
 
The one that caught my eye, no pun intended :p was Kyle looking at the Graphic option screen. A static view vs. action, but certain adjustable features were hidden behind the bezels.
As long as the choice sat on one side or the other of the bezels it wouldn't be a problem. What if the setting you wanted sat right dab in the middle behind the bezels?
Not a show stopper, but at least a "well crap!" moment.
 
The one that caught my eye, no pun intended :p was Kyle looking at the Graphic option screen. A static view vs. action, but certain adjustable features were hidden behind the bezels.
As long as the choice sat on one side or the other of the bezels it wouldn't be a problem. What if the setting you wanted sat right dab in the middle behind the bezels?
Not a show stopper, but at least a "well crap!" moment.

Nothing was hidden by the bezels, the screens split at the bezels.....now "bezel correction" WILL hide things behind the bezels.
 
Okay, make sense then. Currently, menu/inventory screens basically have a void behind the bezels so nothing is missing/lost. It just looked weird in the video and I wrongly assumed it was hiding part of the screen.
 
Console ports and games running on a 5 year old engine. Pardon me while I yawn.



LOL ok. Never mind that a $700 graphics card can't run today's games at 60fps in eyefinity. Clearly the "games" are what's holding eyefinity back and not the fact that ATI's cards aren't powerful enough to run them properly at eyefinity resolutions. 1 GB of memory isn't enough for 2560x1600, let alone eyefinity.
yeah clearly bioshock isn't console port and it has majestic graphics cause of its brand new engine :rolleyes:
 
yeah clearly bioshock isn't console port and it has majestic graphics cause of its brand new engine :rolleyes:

I'm probably not understanding your sarcasm. From a Developer interview in January:

PALGN: In terms of technical aspects, is Bioshock 2 running on Unreal 3?

Kent: It was never running on the Unreal 3 engine, both Bioshock and Bioshock 2 run on a heavily modified version of the Unreal 2 engine. Its funny because I worked on the Unreal 2 engine for Deus EX: Invisible War and now I am working on it again. It’s been great working on the engine again because we are very familiar with it, we know what it does and how to stretch it and it makes it easier to focus on other things like the story and gameplay. It was great working on an engine that works for us, it really delivered.

Since Bioshock and Bioshock 2 run on the same engine, I think the complaint is justified.
 
Console ports and games running on a 5 year old engine. Pardon me while I yawn.

Sorry to bore you, but those are the games I am actually playing right now. What should I be playing?
 
How about a game where you are using a inventory screen alot?
A 'proper' multi-display game, in my opinion, is going to have the GUI, inventory and other menu screens on the center screen only. The 'side' displays are designed to fill the periphery, but odds are you'll be glancing at them directly on occasion.

If that's not what's going on, it's just a poorly-designed game and doesn't reflect poorly on Eyefinity or NVIDIA Surround.
 
A 'proper' multi-display game, in my opinion, is going to have the GUI, inventory and other menu screens on the center screen only. The 'side' displays are designed to fill the periphery, but odds are you'll be glancing at them directly on occasion.

If that's not what's going on, it's just a poorly-designed game and doesn't reflect poorly on Eyefinity or NVIDIA Surround.

I dont think that the side monitors should be purely for peripheral vision. In FPS games maybe (even thats only a maybe). In racing games you'll be using the side screens to look at mirrors and to spot the apex (eliminating the need for a "look to apex" feature like many sims have) and view cars on your sides. Flight sims it'll be so you can see the whole instrument panel and spot things easier. Even in an FPS ideally the side screens would act as you turning your head opposed to pivoting you entire body and gun around, though most FPS games let you pivot really fast so there's no need for a "head turn" feature.
 
Last edited:
The fisheye didn't really bother me in cod:waw or l4d2 but really bothered me in company of heroes. I want to feel like I'm looking down on a big battlefield, I think the effect just doesn't work with an overhead view. Maybe it would be better if the box for the window scroll was in the middle screen but then you couldn't select units on the other screen. This is one game where the stretched menus is really bothersome with the minimap on the far left and commands on the far right, it also wastes a ton of space.
 
Back
Top