Opera 11 Tab Stacking Video

And now we sit and watch how quickly this gets copied into Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc... everyone nicks everyone's ideas. It is frustrating how little credit Opera get for their innovation.

(Yes... I'm an Opera user and have been for over a decade now...)

Not really sure how useful I would find this personally, but a decent idea nonetheless.

Almost 5000 views! All the opera users much have used one of those haxors methods and watched it 1000 times each! :D

Well firefox introduced tab groups months ago. So that's not new. What is new is how they did it on the tab bar.

tabs with in tabs?
what next tabs with in tabs with in tabs?
T_T Open another instance of opera and drag all those tabs to that window yeah you can have 2 windows open at once!, why do you need to stack tabs in tabs, a tab system is to accommodate a lack of space, this only suits like 10 people.

And now we sit and watch how quickly this gets copied into Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc... everyone nicks everyone's ideas. It is frustrating how little credit Opera get for their innovation.

I'm all for giving credit where credit is due, but Opera nicked this from Firefox 4, and I think Firefox 4's implementation is *much* more powerful.

Opera's approach is basically a more minimal subset of what Firefox did. Lookup Panorama, the name of the feature in Firefox 4 beta.

I liked it better when it was called Panorama and was shown off by Mozilla months ago.

Oh wait, I guess that doesn't fit in with YOUR reality, does it?

I liked it better when it was called Panorama and was shown off by Mozilla months ago.

Oh wait, I guess that doesn't fit in with YOUR reality, does it?

I invented this when making piles of paper on my desk.

tabs with in tabs?
what next tabs with in tabs with in tabs?
T_T Open another instance of opera and drag all those tabs to that window yeah you can have 2 windows open at once!, why do you need to stack tabs in tabs, a tab system is to accommodate a lack of space, this only suits like 10 people.

How about planting an IDEA inside a tab inside a tab inside a tab?
Impossible you say? Not impossible, I did it to my old computer. I planted an IDEA within a tab within a tab within a tab. When i closed all the tabs, it thought it was still in a tab so it ended it's process and blue screened. How sad those times were.

That is pretty sleek.

I haven't used Opera for a long long time. Last time I tried it (Maybe 1998 some time?) it had some serious rendering compatibility problems causing messed up sites, and I just uninstalled it and forgot about it.

Hmm... Maye its time for another try?

@kllrnohj and @Solidstate89 - A variation on this has been in Opera is different forms for a long time. They also used to do method using the Windows Panels that lets the user organise the tabs from a side panel.

I am not trying to say Opera is "better" than anything. That is a bit like a pointless argument between different car makes. It is all about personal choice. We all want different things from a browser and I personally think it is great we have so many decent browsers out there now.

It is these kind of feature battles that end up improving ALL the browsers in the long run as they ALL nick ideas from each other. :)

I have Opera, Firefox and IE installed here. But still use Opera 99% of the time. Just personal choice. :)

943173786d1244218297-moonlight-xhibit.jpg

I used to use Opera years ago, but at the time I ran into many websites that didn't work properly. I regrettably went back to using plain old IE until I switched to Chrome. I still think Opera had some awesome features, but I'm hooked on Chrome extensions now. I hope Chrome copies this latest innovation from Opera.

I'm all for giving credit where credit is due, but Opera nicked this from Firefox 4, and I think Firefox 4's implementation is *much* more powerful.
Opera did not get this from Firefox 4. As a matter of fact, Opera has been able to group tabs for several years. It's not as intuitive, though, as you use a panel to do it. But claiming that Firefox did tab grouping before Opera is flat out wrong.

Opera's approach is basically a more minimal subset of what Firefox did. Lookup Panorama, the name of the feature in Firefox 4 beta.
Another way to look at it is that Firefox Panorama is over-engineered and heavy. It's too much. It's as if the designers at Mozilla fell in love with their own "1337 design skillz" and just piled on stuff. Opera's solution is simple, but also much more intuitive and usable.

This is nothing like Panorama, though. It's much less clumsy and "bloated."

And Opera did tab grouping using a panel years before Panorama was announced.

I LOOOOOVE tabs... but this will barely get used by me.

Every time I'm online I'll have 10+ tabs easily..... my only problem now (with tabs) is I sometimes get so many tabs open that I have to use firefox's little arrow to scroll to the older left side of tabs. That is annoying.

My only solution is to close some tabs I no longer use (usually works, but sometimes I need them all open still!)

Time to upgrade to a 24" monitor I guess?

isn't this already done at the bottom of your computer screen?

Another way to look at it is that Firefox Panorama is over-engineered and heavy. It's too much. It's as if the designers at Mozilla fell in love with their own "1337 design skillz" and just piled on stuff. Opera's solution is simple, but also much more intuitive and usable.

No, Panorama can scale, Opera's tab grouping can't. I've been using Panorama heavily since it was still called Tab Candy - I *love* it. I refuse to run any other browser until it gets something equally good. The big advantage Panorama has is that you groups you aren't working on aren't wasting space. Opera's tab grouping still uses precious tab space. Why do I want a group I'm not interested in wasting space in the tab bar?

Panorama is trying to create a new shift in how we use browser like tabs did back in the day. What Opera did is just a rather simple new feature. Whether or not Panorama succeeds is a completely different story, but at least Mozilla is taking a risk on something that could be huge.

I look forward to this new tab system. It will help me considerably and yes, I am an Opera user.

I like this idea. I'm constantly having 3-4 tabs for personal browsing and then 6-7 tabs with different school things open. Grouping them would be nice.

How about planting an IDEA inside a tab inside a tab inside a tab?
Impossible you say? Not impossible, I did it to my old computer. I planted an IDEA within a tab within a tab within a tab. When i closed all the tabs, it thought it was still in a tab so it ended it's process and blue screened. How sad those times were.

Sharon: "Just because an idea is over convoluted and complex doesn't make it cool. Going into multiple [tab] levels sounds like a really stupid idea."

or how about this one:

Doctor: "And it will be like a taco inside taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your [tab]!"

does opera stack like Internet Explorer in the task bar? I know Firefox doesn't. I'm a fan of IE's taskbar stacking method.

Tab groups in Firefox do show up as different windows in the taskbar, even if they're all really in one window, but that whole taskbar thing is still very buggy.

Yeah, This worries me a bit too.

My tab load gets high enough at times to force opera into squished favicon mode (instead of scrolling when you get too many tabs it just keeps making them narrower and scales the favicons to fit) at 2560x1600. The 74 tabs I have open are putting Opera at a 840MB memory load 5 minutes after a clean start. I suspect that heap fragmentation is responsible for some UI meltdowns I occasionally see if I have it open for over a week. (Logic being it happened a lot more often after I got my 30" and some times shrinking the window size will bring a temporary reprieve.)

On the one hand, I definitely will benefit from this. On the other unless Opera is patched to work with unsigned pointers (assuming it isn't currently), isn't ported to 64 bit (hah!), or doesn't go fullscale into 1 process/tab (oh please, oh please, oh please) I can see it easily resulting in ugly self inflicted wounds (and I don't just mean having to buy 4x4GB dimms instead of 4x2GB for next falls LGA2011 build).

you aint normal
That is the point... no one is "normal" here. I currently have 30 tabs open as I start Opera this morning. And that will climb into much higher numbers when researching something.

Everyone uses a browser in a different way. :)

you aint normal
and proud of it. :D

That total was higher than my daily average. About 25 of them were hardforum threads. I typically read forums by opening every interesting looking thread in a separate tab first and then reading them all at once. It's a habit I originally acquired in the dial-up era; but still saves me some time due to page loading lag today. The rest consists of about 30-40 sites I visit at least once a day, 5-10 blog posts I'm following comments on, and 5-20 pages that are in my current to-read buffer.

@DanNeely - you are exactly as abnormal as I am. I also got that same "open every interesting page" habit from old dial-up days. Why else is there a middle mouse button? I know I often get weird looks when people look at my browser and can't understand why so many pages. :D

Me to man I lov Opera.:cool:

No, Panorama can scale, Opera's tab grouping can't.
The problem with Panorama is that it's over-engineered, bloated and cumbersome to use. You are taken away from the browser, and into some kind of bloated management system. Of course, you may prefer it that way, but it seems that most people don't really think Panorama is all that good (check out the MozillaZine forums, for example).

The big advantage Panorama has is that you groups you aren't working on aren't wasting space. Opera's tab grouping still uses precious tab space. Why do I want a group I'm not interested in wasting space in the tab bar?
Because you have everything right there, at your fingertips? No need to switch to a completely different context to do thing?

Panorama is trying to create a new shift in how we use browser like tabs did back in the day.
And, sadly, I think it fails. Panorama is the result of a huge project where Mozilla got external people to submit their ideas. And this over-engineered monstrosity is what they came up with?

Panorama isn't going to create a new shift in anything.

And I don't think it's a coincidence that one of the main guys behind Panorama is leaving Mozilla...

Whether or not Panorama succeeds is a completely different story, but at least Mozilla is taking a risk on something that could be huge.
Yeah, because Opera never takes any risks :rolleyes:

Back