OLED MONITORS!!!!!

Console gamers play almost all of the same major releases. They also, by default of already having great 4K televisions, have better displays than most PC gamers.
Not arguing. I got over resenting the big studios from chasing the money and making TrippleA titles for consoles and leaving PC crappy ports long ago.

Well - maybe not fully over the resentment - but accepting

Why accept it - it sucks. Games should be made for pc and kb/m above all else and then ported to console.
That is not where the market is with the number of consoles produced. For most triple A games, the PC gets a port of a console game.

You have to remember that gaming and image quality enthusiasts are still a niche. The average person still buys something that is on sale and cheap enough to justify it and they might use that device for 10+ years if it keeps working. Totally different approach from the gamers and movie buffs chasing ultimate image quality experience. So manufacturers make devices they think are going to sell in sufficient quantities and the niches are served by very expensive products. Building a smaller OLED panel might not have a good enough return for investment to LG, even the 48" models are a byproduct of making better use of the material used to make larger TVs.

My advice to you is to not try to mount the display on your desk. I used a heavy duty monitor arm with an adapter plate at first because that's what I had and my 80cm deep table was just ok. I am much happier using a floor stand that puts it 1m away. The stock LG stand is a huge pile of crap that prevents putting it close to a wall because it sticks so far out the back. Wall mount is the best option if you can do that. Notice that the mounting point on the LG OLEDs is not at the center but at the bottom portion of the display.
what was wrong with the monitor arm? that's my plan.

what was wrong with the monitor arm? that's my plan.
You need an extremely deep desk to make it work. You are limited by the depth of your desk and because of the size of the display can't really move the arm so that it is behind the desk, the part that is mounted to the desk gets in the way. So on my 80 cm desk I couldn't really get any further than that plus my sitting distance. It wasn't quite enough to be comfortable.

I bought a floor stand to mount mine behind the desk and that puts it at about 100-110cm distance and that makes a big difference in comfort. Wall mount would be nicer looking but I have a window right behind my desk so it's a no go.

I bought a floor stand to mount mine behind the desk and that puts it at about 100-110cm distance and that makes a big difference in comfort. Wall mount would be nicer looking but I have a window right behind my desk so it's a no go.

I too have a window behind my desk, and when I get my lg 48" or 42" oled I won't like the look of the large screen blocking the entire window, so I came up with a little plan. I'm going to pick up one of these electric monitor lifts, so I can keep the screen hidden behind my desk when not in use, then when it's time to game I can make my large screen magically lift up with one button press, right to the perfect height.

https://www.amazon.com/CO-Z-Motoriz...words=tv+motorized+lift&qid=1619360396&sr=8-3

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You need an extremely deep desk to make it work. You are limited by the depth of your desk and because of the size of the display can't really move the arm so that it is behind the desk, the part that is mounted to the desk gets in the way. So on my 80 cm desk I couldn't really get any further than that plus my sitting distance. It wasn't quite enough to be comfortable.

oh it was a viewing distance thing. ok.
damn tho. 80mm is a lot already. I'll probably have to lean back while using it. Which might not be so bad with the right chair. I also want to be able to rotate it in case I am going to sit away from the desktop to play with a controller.

oh it was a viewing distance thing. ok.
damn tho. 80mm is a lot already. I'll probably have to lean back while using it. Which might not be so bad with the right chair. I also want to be able to rotate it in case I am going to sit away from the desktop to play with a controller.
You could see if you can find a wall mountable arm that can hold the weight and move enough for your needs. IMO 80cm is basically the minimum viewing distance for this thing.

Okay - but you have to also admit that Console Kids who play on TVs are now considered 'Gamers' -- those 'thumb warriors' inherited all the work that M&K users put into shifting the industry toward better games and equipment... and we've been rewarded with the term 'niche'.
Easy with the salt there! You don’t want to develop hypertension, right?

My advice to you is to not try to mount the display on your desk. I used a heavy duty monitor arm with an adapter plate at first because that's what I had and my 80cm deep table was just ok. I am much happier using a floor stand that puts it 1m away. The stock LG stand is a huge pile of crap that prevents putting it close to a wall because it sticks so far out the back. Wall mount is the best option if you can do that. Notice that the mounting point on the LG OLEDs is not at the center but at the bottom portion of the display.
I'm guessing this only works for non-standing desks? I would think that for a standing desk, you either need to use a stand on the desk or an arm clamped to the desk.

I'm guessing this only works for non-standing desks? I would think that for a standing desk, you either need to use a stand on the desk or an arm clamped to the desk.
Yes. You would want a motorized stand or a wall mount that can be moved. I would probably not want to try to use a monitor arm clamped to a standing desk. Most standing desks are not deep enough in the first place and might wobble in the standing position due to the size of the TV.

hmmm still can't buy the LG 32EP950 Oled monitor anywhere yet.... B&H keeps pushing back the availability date. Wonder if this is covid related or some other issue manufacturing this monitor.

hmmm still can't buy the LG 32EP950 Oled monitor anywhere yet.... B&H keeps pushing back the availability date. Wonder if this is covid related or some other issue manufacturing this monitor.
We haven't even seen a prototype yet, I doubt they even have the tooling setup to make them. Could be the fault of the scamdemic.

60hz

60hz rage.jpg

I'm kind of annoyed that they didn't even try to see if the panel can handle higher refresh rates via a custom EDID, especially since actual professional workstation stuff tends to be binned better, no?

I mean, my sister had a Westmere-powered HP 8440p Elitebook with a Quadro NVS 3100M and we were able to easily use good ol' CRU to get its 60Hz internal display running at 96Hz without any frame-dropping/repeating/tearing issues (I think I could have gotten it to 100Hz if I manually tweaked the timings, but she's a film junky anyway so we stuck with 96Hz so that 24fps content didn't have telecine judder).

Meh.... 60Hz is just extremely disappointing. If LG OLED TV's are capable of doing 120Hz @ 4K, surely they can produce a monitor that can run at least 120Hz, I personally wouldn't touch any screen that is less than 120Hz, let alone 60Hz which is just horrible after experiencing 120Hz.

I just wish LG would put DisplayPort on their OLED TV's, that would be great. Not sure why LG never bothered with it.

Yay, what a lovely 60Hz screen 🤪

I immediately looked at calendar but unfortunately my time machine didn't work this time either. It is just another BS product that will be as much impactful as Dell UP3017Q

Here are some 32EP950 LG 32" OLED videos:

Thanks! Do you own this monitor? How is it for gaming? I have a 1440p 144hz VA monitor now that I use VRR with. I am not sure how I will feel going back to 60hz and vsync again... Its funny because that is the way I gamed for decades and now I feel spoiled by VRR. However, I only game at night in the dark and I love dark games like horror or space sims so I feel that that OLED tech will out way any issue I have with 60hz.

Last edited:
If this 32" panel exists it's only a matter of time until generic china displays (like there are portable/15" monitors from oled laptop panel), maybe one of them will be brave enough to overclock it or something. If this one lacks even generic vrr I wonder if they even tried a controller that would allow 120hz. (Note: I don't know how oleds work compared to lcd)

Thanks! Do you own this monitor? How is it for gaming? I have a 1440p 144hz VA monitor now that I use VRR with. I am not sure how I will feel going back to 60hz and vsync again... Its funny because that is the way I gamed for decades and now I feel spoiled by VRR. However, I only game at night in the dark and I love dark games like horror or space sims so I feel that that OLED tech will out way any issue I have with 60hz.

Yes. It is 60hz max. Trying to overclock it even by one hz immediately results in a black screen.

It is vastly superior in image quality to any other IPS/VA/TN panel that I have ever used with the exception of the PG27UQ. (And I imagine the newer FALD IPS panels that just came out.)

If you are sensitive to refresh rate, you probably come out ahead getting the PG32UQX.

On dark gaming scenes, the 32EP950 is better than the PG27UQ (but honestly not by a huge margin.... unless you are really sensitive to halo/bloom, in which case the 32EP950 crushes the PG27UQ in that regard. The true solid-black even when directly next to bright pixels is something the FALD monitors just can't do and is really something amazing to see.). On normal bright scenes, the PG27UQ and 32EP950 are honestly very similar. Running them side by side, I couldn't tell a difference.

On bright specular highlights (where nits start going up greater than 700, like looking at the sun in a game, or a very bright explosion/fire), PG27UQ is much better.

So, basically, it is a trade off between better very dark scenes or better very bright scenes.

The halo/bloom you see in the videos is actually just the camera catching the really bright light coming from the 32EP950 in a totally dark room. It can hit around 600-700 nits as long as it is not full screen. But it hard tops out at this level. It can't compete with the FALD panels where they blow past 700 nits and may get up to 1400 nits.

Honestly, the lower refresh rate didn't take long to get used to. It could be that the ultra fast pixel response time of the 32EP950 (OLED is faster than any other panel in this regard) is helping to mitigate that.... but there are definitely times where I see the lower refresh rate, but it's honestly not as bad as lower refresh rate TN/VA/IPS panel... again, possibly due to the incredibly fast pixel response times.

This is a picture of the 32EP950 of a challenging dark scene that I took and posted on the PG32UQX thread. Other people on the PG32UQX thread have posted pictures of the same scene on the PG32UQX and PA32UCG. You should look at those pictures on that thread to really get a good idea of the benefits of this OLED panel in dark scenes in comparison.

I took this picture in a 100% full dark room with no other light sources. On an FALD monitor in such a scenario, the camera would be picking up large swaths of bloom and halo effects all over the image.

As you can see from the picture, the 32EP950 blows the FALD monitors OUT OF THE WATER on scenes like this. This was taken on an iPhone 13 Pro camera, and it didn't really even capture how good it looks in real life. The lights are surrounded by ink level blacks, and the lights "pop" MUCH more than they appear to do in the picture.

Again, there is zero bloom or halo on the 32EP950, it's just that this OLED can get bright enough that super bright parts of the picture (like the YouTube white text and the really bright sign in the far right mid point of the picture) start getting overexposed by the iPhone camera, and that looks like bloom.

Attachments

• 503622_tempImagesbQ9BT.gif
    503622_tempImagesbQ9BT.gif
    611.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Here are some pictures of hte PG32UQX and PA32UCG that were posted by other people in the other thread. As you can see, they took these pictures in a lit room (which really helps to mitigate bloom/halo on FALD panels).... in a pitch black room, the halo/bloom would likely be far worse.

Attachments

• 508598_4589E42E-885E-4E49-A336-3AB75342566B.jpeg
    508598_4589E42E-885E-4E49-A336-3AB75342566B.jpeg
    539.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 508918_test.jpg
    508918_test.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 509023_IMG20210930204052.jpg
    509023_IMG20210930204052.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 509024_IMG20210930203631.jpg
    509024_IMG20210930203631.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 1
Trying to overclock it even by one hz immediately results in a black screen.

Two questions:

1. It's my impression that, at such high resolutions, one has to use "DisplayID" timings via CRU. Did you do that and, if not, could you give it a whirl?

2. Did you try more standard refresh rates like 75Hz, and not just less-standard ones like 62Hz? I say this because I myself own an older (read: 1280x1024) more professional-focused HP monitor that is "only" 60Hz and insists that any refresh rate that isn't 60Hz is "out of range"... except, it turns out, 75Hz works perfectly.

(For those wondering, I've discovered that the aforementioned HP monitor absolutely sips power with wattage somewhere in the 10-15 range, therefore its minimal power consumption and therefore heat output make it extremely useful in the heat of summer despite the horizontal resolution.)

Last edited:
The 60hz refresh rate I consider less of an issue than lack of any VRR. I wish the monitor had some sort of VRR or Freesync even if it was just in the 40-60hz range like the early 4k monitors did. I doubt my GPU could push 4k at 90 to 100 FPS without turning the settings down anyway.

Two questions:

1. It's my impression that, at such high resolutions, one has to use "DisplayID" timings via CRU. Did you do that and, if not, could you give it a whirl?

2. Did you try more standard refresh rates like 75Hz, and not just less-standard ones like 62Hz? I say this because I myself own an older (read: 1280x1024) more professional-focused HP monitor that is "only" 60Hz and insists that any refresh rate that isn't 60Hz is "out of range"... except, it turns out, 75Hz works perfectly.

(For those wondering, I've discovered that the aforementioned HP monitor absolutely sips power with wattage somewhere in the 10-15 range, therefore its minimal power consumption and therefore heat output make it extremely useful in the heat of summer despite the horizontal resolution.)

Yes, tried it all. I honestly think the panel is capable of higher than 60hz, but JOLED probably implemented some kind of hardware level block.... because it's not an "out of signal" or related error, just an immediate shut down. JOLED lists 32" OLED 4K 120hz panel on their site for manufacturer purchase.... so this is probably an artificial limit imposed by LG so they can market another model in the future at 120hz.

Linus on YouTube also tried to get a higher than 60hz frequency with no luck.

Yes, tried it all. I honestly think the panel is capable of higher than 60hz, but JOLED probably implemented some kind of hardware level block.... because it's not an "out of signal" or related error, just an immediate shut down. JOLED lists 32" OLED 4K 120hz panel on their site for manufacturer purchase.... so this is probably an artificial limit imposed by LG so they can market another model in the future at 120hz.

Linus on YouTube also tried to get a higher than 60hz frequency with no luck.
THIS. Another reason I haven't pulled the trigger is that they will put a 120hz version on the market in the next year right after I buy this one. I am going to wait and see what companies announce at CES this January before making a final decision. Also, hopefully there will be better info on the timing of LG's 42" OLED TV.

Well heck, do custom refresh rates even work at all, like a refresh rate less than 60Hz? (50Hz, 48Hz, weird in-between rates like 56Hz, etc)

Yes, remember this is marketed as a grading/film monitor. So it even supports 24hz.

Yes, remember this is marketed as a grading/film monitor. So it even supports 24hz.
Wait, so something non-standard like 56Hz does work via a custom resolution, it just has to be no greater than 60Hz?

EDIT: Erm, I just realized that, in Linus' video where it shows the stock refresh rate options, it only shows 24Hz, 48Hz, and 60Hz - not 50Hz, which is a pretty important one for me. So yeah, what about 50Hz?

Last edited:
I just wish LG would put DisplayPort on their OLED TV's, that would be great. Not sure why LG never bothered with it.
Because there's no reason to. PC users are still in the minority for sales, and no one outside the PC segment bothers with Displayport. Nevermind HDMI 2.1 offers higher bandwidth and connects to more devices.

Back