OLED MONITORS!!!!!

How many devices output 2.1 though? Those of us with older hardware would prefer DP support for our aging hardware.

Sure I guess. I'm not saying it isn't nice to have, I'm just saying it's not really missed that badly. You could always use Club3D's DP 1.4 -> HDMI 2.1 adapter which supports DSC to get 4k120Hz 444 on the CX using a non HDMI 2.1 device.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Sure I guess. I'm not saying it isn't nice to have, I'm just saying it's not really missed that badly. You could always use Club3D's DP 1.4 -> HDMI 2.1 adapter which supports DSC to get 4k120Hz 444 on the CX using a non HDMI 2.1 device.
HDMI is backwards compatible so if the device had HDMI 2.1 you could just hook up the HDMI 2.0 from your laptop. That is enough for 4K 60 Hz 8-bit.

Club3D adapter will work for PC use but on my Macbook Pro it refuses to output more than 4K 60 Hz when hooked up to a USB-C to DP 1.4 adapter. The same dual adapter setup works just fine from my 2080 Ti USB-C port so this is probably some Apple bullshit that might also apply to other laptops with USB-C ports.

How bad is the burn in? I've been waiting for oled monitors half my life when they had like small $10k demos. Considering the 17" 4k oled razer blade if anyone has one or similar panel.

How bad is the burn in? I've been waiting for oled monitors half my life when they had like small $10k demos. Considering the 17" 4k oled razer blade if anyone has one or similar panel.
I wouldn't expect one to last long term.

Don't expect 10 years of use out of a OLED. I believe 5 years a reasonable expectation out a OLED.
I would think two to three, on average, based on what I have read about televisions. Best Buy is the place to buy OLED. I don't know if they will carry this particular monitor.

I hope they drop a 42" soon, I noticed there was a press release about making 42" panels. A 42" 4k 120hz display would make a great monitor. 48" is a bit big. Now the problem is getting a hdmi 2.1 compatible video card for a reasonable price.

I hope they drop a 42" soon, I noticed there was a press release about making 42" panels. A 42" 4k 120hz display would make a great monitor. 48" is a bit big. Now the problem is getting a hdmi 2.1 compatible video card for a reasonable price.

Has LGD even stated that the 42" panels are destined to be TV's? It wouldn't surprise me if they sold those to be used for monitors by Acer and others.

Has LGD even stated that the 42" panels are destined to be TV's? It wouldn't surprise me if they sold those to be used for monitors by Acer and others.
I think that it is a given that it will be a 42" TV. If LG Display is making the panels then it will be a WRGB pixel structure which won't look as good for text when using it as a computer monitor. It won't stop people from using it as a computer monitor though...

I think that it is a given that it will be a 42" TV. If LG Display is making the panels then it will be a WRGB pixel structure which won't look as good for text when using it as a computer monitor. It won't stop people from using it as a computer monitor though...

Curious, is WRGB what the current LG OLED TVs are using? Because I suspect whatever is currently being used for the 48in model, is what the 42in model will be. Currently LG "cuts" 2x 48in TV panels for every 2x 77in TVs, so my hunch is LG will be able to make 2x 42 inch TVs for every 2x 83in TVs (that they just announced).

I did not see a lot of details on the 42 inch panel but they did say more models of OLED monitors are on the way....

I did not see a lot of details on the 42 inch panel but they did say more models of OLED monitors are on the way....
True. But LG Display said only the 42inch panel size is coming in 2021 which means LG Electronics will probably announce the 42inch TV at 2022 CES. So we are still at least a year away from getting a 42inch TV. Smaller sizes will be even further away.

True. But LG Display said only the 42inch panel size is coming in 2021 which means LG Electronics will probably announce the 42inch TV at 2022 CES. So we are still at least a year away from getting a 42inch TV. Smaller sizes will be even further away.
Not sure. I did't see an announcement for a 31 inch panel for this year monitor - did you ?

Not sure. I did't see an announcement for a 31 inch panel for this year monitor - did you ?
I don't recall seeing that. The only panel that I saw confirmed to start manufacturing this year was the 42" panel. The 30" and below panel sizes I believe they said were 'planned' but no firm timeline was given.

B6P owner here:

If you are careful, I think you can get a good 4-5 years minimum of an OLED. That being said, working from home the past year has all but ruined mine; uniformity is pretty much all over the place now.

LG re-did the pixel structure starting with the B7 series to resist burn in/wear a bit. I can't speak to this; you'd need to dig up someone who's owned a B7 for a decent chunk of time to get their opinions. My B6 held up reasonably well until WFH though, and to be fair, the wear isn't as noticeable when gaming.

WRGB is honestly alright for desktop use based on 6 months on my 48" CX. In MacOS there is zero issue as it uses no font smoothing and in Windows using grayscale font smoothing works out quite alright to my eyes. RGB and BGR subpixel smoothings are usable but not perfect. I wish Windows had options for non-pixel grid fonts like MacOS.

WRGB is honestly alright for desktop use based on 6 months on my 48" CX. In MacOS there is zero issue as it uses no font smoothing and in Windows using grayscale font smoothing works out quite alright to my eyes. RGB and BGR subpixel smoothings are usable but not perfect. I wish Windows had options for non-pixel grid fonts like MacOS.
Good to hear. The 42" should be even better because the pixels will be even smaller.

B6P owner here:

If you are careful, I think you can get a good 4-5 years minimum of an OLED. That being said, working from home the past year has all but ruined mine; uniformity is pretty much all over the place now.

LG re-did the pixel structure starting with the B7 series to resist burn in/wear a bit. I can't speak to this; you'd need to dig up someone who's owned a B7 for a decent chunk of time to get their opinions. My B6 held up reasonably well until WFH though, and to be fair, the wear isn't as noticeable when gaming.

That's my great fear. Using an OLED tv as your gaming display is one thing. Using it as a total desktop display replacement is another thing entirely. My monitor is in use literally 12-15 hours a day M-F and only slightly less on weekends. I think I read somewhere that LG states their OLED panels have a 30,000 hour lifespan (not sure what that actually means though... is that until half brightness or something?) and that works out to ~5 to 5 and half years. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with a display device becoming that disposable...

That's my great fear. Using an OLED tv as your gaming display is one thing. Using it as a total desktop display replacement is another thing entirely. My monitor is in use literally 12-15 hours a day M-F and only slightly less on weekends. I think I read somewhere that LG states their OLED panels have a 30,000 hour lifespan (not sure what that actually means though... is that until half brightness or something?) and that works out to ~5 to 5 and half years. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with a display device becoming that disposable...
I would imagine that it will burn in very well before 30,000 hours. Their televisions are lasting nowhere near that long and they don't have near as much static content as PC use would have.

I would imagine that it will burn in very well before 30,000 hours. Their televisions are lasting nowhere near that long and they don't have near as much static content as PC use would have.
It all depends on usage and content. Some people go years without burn-in, if you're careful with brightness and static images. Even so, I'm deathly afraid of it, as I expect my run my screens into the ground, they must last like a decade or so. Getting burn-in in a few years does not sound fun.

The one thing that is very strange (and frustrating) is that OLED laptops have been a thing for at least a few years now and yet there is surprisingly little (re: none that I could find) long term reporting/follow-ups on how they've held up.

I'd say 5 years is about the time I would have any display and then would swap it for something better as something better would be on the market for sure. With LCDs it's easier to recoup part of the cost though so I might end up selling my CX 48" earlier and moving to for example the 42" OLED model that is rumored to be released maybe next year.

I have used the display with similar usage as you for about 7 months now and zero burn in. Usage is mostly programming during the day so IDE, browsers, terminals, communication tools etc. If I was looking at Excels all day long then I probably would not use one.

If I was looking at Excels all day long then I probably would not use one.
That's the real issue, as it's the most common case scenario: hours upon hours of Excel or Word every day. That's a lot of white to display. If I could have a guarantee of no burn-in for 5 years, I'd happily spend the money and then toss the display... but if image retention starts to creep in at 1 or 2 years of usage, then it's no good. As long as there's no guarantee, I don't see people making such an investment.

I guess I should add this to my signature - I have been using the OLED as a monitor for 4,5 years. No burn-in happened. I did have panel replacement after approximately 3 years of use, (like, 2 days before the warranty expired, lol), but that was not burn-in related. I guess I misused the built-in manual pixel refresher procedure.
I don't follow any precautions, I don't run the Windows screen saver at all, I don't disable the task bar, I leave the display on for hours without screensaver, my PC sometimes runs 24\7, naturally when I know I won't be using the PC the next 8 hours or so, I turn off the oled like I would turn off any other PC monitor. I do run all black windows background, though.
After it's been on for several hours, it develops the burn-in of course. Which is clearly visible, but goes away seeminglessly as I continue using the PC, or shut it down, letting the display conduct it's pixel recover procedure.

So, to conclude - I really don't give a damn about burn-in, I use the OLED as I would any LCD monitor, and I don't have any permanent burn-in. The temporary burn-in is not an issue, unless you unplug you OLED form the power socket.

Last edited:
That's the real issue, as it's the most common case scenario: hours upon hours of Excel or Word every day. That's a lot of white to display. If I could have a guarantee of no burn-in for 5 years, I'd happily spend the money and then toss the display... but if image retention starts to creep in at 1 or 2 years of usage, then it's no good. As long as there's no guarantee, I don't see people making such an investment.
Well then OLED is not for you at this point, maybe never. Nothing stops you from working around your use cases and maybe having a second LCD to use for that stuff for example. As OLEDs become smaller this becomes a more feasible setup. I could not comfortably fit a second monitor to go with my 48" CX and hope to have proper placement for my large Genelec speakers.

Well then OLED is not for you at this point, maybe never. Nothing stops you from working around your use cases and maybe having a second LCD to use for that stuff for example. As OLEDs become smaller this becomes a more feasible setup. I could not comfortably fit a second monitor to go with my 48" CX and hope to have proper placement for my large Genelec speakers.
That’s been my plan all along, I was just trying to contextualizar while many will still not be able to go OLED for a while. Personally I want a 27” OLED so I can put it next to my 27” LCD. Then I can use one only for work, and the other one for games and videos.

That’s been my plan all along, I was just trying to contextualizar while many will still not be able to go OLED for a while. Personally I want a 27” OLED so I can put it next to my 27” LCD. Then I can use one only for work, and the other one for games and videos.
I'll put it this way: After seeing how badly WFH has ruined my B6, I'm likely going with a MiniLED for my next display. If you can wait a few years for MicroLED to shrink down to sub-88" form factors, that's likely going to be the way to go.

For "just" gaming, OLED is fine. But the minute you start bringing up static desktop elements, ESPECIALLY any word processing that does not have a dark theme, you will start to observe the effects of uneven pixel wear after a few months.

I'll put it this way: After seeing how badly WFH has ruined my B6, I'm likely going with a MiniLED for my next display. If you can wait a few years for MicroLED to shrink down to sub-88" form factors, that's likely going to be the way to go.

For "just" gaming, OLED is fine. But the minute you start bringing up static desktop elements, ESPECIALLY any word processing that does not have a dark theme, you will start to observe the effects of uneven pixel wear after a few months.
well, 2018+ models have a much better protection for burn in after fixing the weak red pixel or something.

2021 models introduce a whole new panel, which should have double the rated life of the old panel used in 2016-2020.

well, 2018+ models have a much better protection for burn in after fixing the weak red pixel or something.

2021 models introduce a whole new panel, which should have double the rated life of the old panel used in 2016-2020.
And I understand that. But if I'm going to be WFH for much longer even the double rated lifetime of the B7+ series is still going to result in me pushing panel lifetime limits after 2-3 years.

Are you sure that the 17” model comes in OLED? I remember only the 15” Blade (or any laptop, for that matter) getting an OLED panel.

Will have to grab myself one of these for the PS5. And i think it's time to update the rig to 2.1 :pompous:

Are you sure that the 17” model comes in OLED? I remember only the 15” Blade (or any laptop, for that matter) getting an OLED panel.
You're correct, only the 15" model has OLED (in 4k). I meant to say that.
I really prefer 17" gaming laptops but without a gimmick like OLED screen couldnt bring myself to buy one. Been waiting to hear about this year but I guess there's no mass produced 17" panels..

I really don't think the technology makes sense for computer monitors and an approach like mini LEDs (or micro LEDs) is going to be the compromise that gives computer users a reasonably priced option that will last more than 2-3 years.

Just the idea that the way OLED monitors "fix" themselves is to try to age all the other pixels on the screen so they are all worn out evenly tells you a lot about the long term consequences of owning an OLED monitor.

Ohhhh baby --

27" OLED

27"

YyepxsG.jpeg

Back