OLED 4K 30" 60 Hz - Dell UP3017Q

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Vega, Apr 12, 2017.

1. oledguy1

oledguy1 n00b

Problem is Dell has the WORST monitor model number naming scheme ever. UP3017 versus UP3017Q.... U2718Q versus UP2718Q Its a wonder people aren't getting the wrong monitors all the time...

2. damstr

damstr [H]ard|Gawd

When something like this is 144Hz I will definitely be interested. I can't go back to 60Hz.

3. Happy Hopping

Happy Hopping [H]ardness Supreme

is that like the Orbital option that c/w the Philip BDM4035UC?

4. insoc123

insoc123 Limp Gawd

I'm also and "old" gamer, playing on CRT TVs since the 80's with my Commodore VIC 20 and Commodore 64 and the flicker in those days didn't affect me at all. When I choose the no flicker option in my OLED monitor the flicker don't bother me at all when playing, it's just that something "psychological " prevents me to playing that way because I think I'm doing something wrong for my eyes and that in the long time will affect me. Silly I know....

5. aeliusg

aeliusg Gawd

FWIW unless you have some kind of underlying condition, light flicker in the region of 90 hz and above shouldn't cause any issues. Neither blue light, unless your monitor is emitting UV rays at you. It does affect your sleep cycle, but getting some sun during the day will more than offset that unless you have your monitor set to very harsh and excessive brightness and are in the habit of staring at blue screens.

6. insoc123

insoc123 Limp Gawd

Yes, even 75hz would be acceptable but these OLED monitor goes to just 60hz.

7. Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart Gawd

So these popped back up on Dell outlet for $2699 plus a 15% off code. I guess no one has one anywhere, and they can't be found on eBay at all, so fuck it ill grab one since I was never able to last year, and just had to return the Acer x27 4k as its way too small for me at 27": (

8. Enhanced Interrogator

Enhanced Interrogator Gawd

Careful dude. Input lag is higher than LG's OLED TV's from what I remember reading..

9. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

I used the 20% coupon. :)

10. Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart Gawd

any guess on how many of these Dell actually made? it had to be less than.... 4000-5000 monitors ? You could never find any on eBay and it was never reviewed by major web sites...

11. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

Oh I think it was WAY lower than that. I'm thinking a few hundred or less based off of how few people had them on the forums, and the lack of general information online, videos and ebay ads. I've never seen one listed on Ebay or on forums. Two places these displays would basically ever sell at. IMO this was a small experiment by Dell to test the waters.

12. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Gawd

Such a shame these didn't took off.... 27-32" 1080p-4k oled monitors is all we want. I don't even care about hz. 60 is fine... red dead redemption 2 would look so good on 4k oled compared to my ips

13. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

Well Dell cancelled my order for some reason. No email, no nothing. I just log on to check order status and says cancelled.

14. Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart Gawd

Damn. I guess that's good news for me if I ever want to unload this monitor on eBay. Sounds like I would get more than what I paid for it lol.

15. l88bastard

l88bastard 2[H]4U

Why oh why did they not give this display 4k120hz MST capabilities.

I remember owning it for one day, boxed it right back up and sent back.
    I figured surely they will do a refresh of it once DP 1.4 comes out and give us a proper 120hz version.

NOPE.

WTF Dell Engineers, Corporate Suits & Marketeers not even once!

16. Sancus

Sancus Gawd

I kinda want one but they don't ship to Canada and doing the forwarding shipping dance is effort, plus some owners of these have reported issues and the answer is typically 'well we have no replacement panels so uh here's a dumb LCD replacement or nothing.' Also yeah, 60hz. If it was 120hz I would probably have bought one when they released.

17. Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart Gawd

was it because of the 60hz?

I have to imagine the ppi+glossy+blacks make the picture quality fantastic ?

18. Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart Gawd

CMLhVke.jpg

This thing looks gorgeous, but I can see flicker using web sites FML

19. Sancus

Sancus Gawd

There should be a flicker free mode in display settings, iirc it has some kind of pulsed strobing thing that is really stupid at 60hz.

20. l88bastard

l88bastard 2[H]4U

The 33ms of input lag and double strobe annoyed me. I opted to go with a C7 LG Oled instead.

21. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

Make sure the setting "flicker free" is set to on. That will make it double strobe at 120 Hz. You shouldn't see the flicker then.

22. Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart Gawd

Even then still see some what of a flicker on black backgrounds (feels like PWM)

Gaming feels fine, web use flickers. FML this thing is near perfect otherwise

23. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

On a black background? PWM/strobing is almost always the most noticeable on white.

24. Gasaraki_

Gasaraki_ Gawd

I don't think OLED would be good for a computer monitor. Better make those screensavers pop up quick.

25. Gasaraki_

Gasaraki_ Gawd

No, OLED has higher dynamic range color and infinite contrast. SO even when OLEDs have a max brightness of around 800nits, they even brighter and the colors pop like HDR.

26. Gasaraki_

Gasaraki_ Gawd

I have the 65" LG OLED I got last year. It's plenty bright and the COLORS, omg. The blacks pixels are just off so they are black.