OLED 4K 30" 60 Hz - Dell UP3017Q

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Vega, Apr 12, 2017.

1. guney

guney Limp Gawd

Hmmm. There's quite a bit of difference between 2 ms and 10 ms. With only 2 ms of persistence, the difference between CRT and OLED in terms of amount of flicker should be close to negligible, following my line of reasoning. (Since 60 Hz would give you nearly 17 ms of time between strobes, even a CRT that's decaying in 2 ms should have plenty of time to stay in its "dark state" between two strobes, creating plenty of flicker.)

However, my years of CRT use were during the younger years of my life, when I couldn't really afford very high-end CRT monitors. So, perhaps the CRT displays I'm likely to have experienced were closer to that 10 ms decay time. That would mean the monitor would have stayed on for 60% of the time period between two scans/strobes, meaning quite a high percentage of "on" time. That ratio might be much lower for OLEDs. (Not sure.)

On the other hand, it's coming back to me now that the norm for a "good" CRT monitor refresh rate was actually 85 Hz during the latest years I used them; not 60 Hz. I do believe some of the CRTs I owned (at least in post-college years) were 85 Hz models. That would mean just under 12 ms of time between each scan of the phosphors. With a persistence time of 10 ms or a little less, that does translate to the phosphors being lit nearly all the time between successive refreshes thanks to persistence.

2. Snowdog

Snowdog Pasty Nerd with Poor Cardio

I don't think too much effort should be spent on this. OLED is near square wave for responsiveness. It's blacks are blacker and it's brights are brighter (CRTs tended to be pretty dim), and this is huge compared to ancient CRT monitors, all contribute to flicker being worse on OLED if your cycle at 60Hz.

I also think older monitors that were expected to work at 60Hz had longer persistence phosphor. I remember running 60 Hz on some of these and it being no so bad, but when I moved to larger higher quality multisync, then 60 Hz became intolerable.

Bottom line. It's no surprise that 60Hz strobing on a big OLED screen is a bad idea.

jbltecnicspro and TroubleMagnet like this.
  3. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

Ya phosphor persistence was 1-2ms. But even then, the Dell is 90us, or less than 0.1ms. Ten to over twenty times faster than CRT phosphor, pretty crazy fast.

4. SolidSnake3035

SolidSnake3035 Limp Gawd

Are image retention/panel wear and brightness the only reasons to not leave the OLED lit up for a longer time?

I'm imagining that with the speed of OLED's transition, the ideal image smoothness would be really high refresh (240Hz?) with the pixels lit almost constantly. Maybe that's a wrong assumption.

It's a shame that the technology is so limited by wear, and the circuitry driving it... :-/ (Not to mention connectivity and GPU power...)

5. Later

Later n00bie

That depends entirely on the brightness setting of the monitor. If you have brightness dialed up to maximum on monitor OSD the pixels are likely to stay lit until close to the next strobe. If you dial the brightness slider lower the time the pixels are on becomes shorter. This is how brightness of this monitor is regulated. I find it puzzling that some don't seem to grasp this concept as LCDs with pwm controlled backlights have been around for ages.

If you have a colorimeter you could estimate how long pixels are on at a specific brightness setting simply by measuring its luminance, they are directly proportional. However, note that OLED displays have this ABL thing, I don't know how it works or why it is used exactly.

6. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

No the pixel on/off times on this monitor are fixed and duration not affected by brightness. Looks to simply be scanning DC voltage control, not traditional type PWM which sole purpose is to control brightness.

7. Later

Later n00bie

Surprising. What is that duration then?

8. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

I'll have to look back at my notes, something like 4.4ms "on" at 60 Hz and 5.4ms "on" divided by two at 120 Hz.

9. l88bastard

l88bastard 2[H]4U

WRONG.... PWM's sole purpose is to give headaches ;-)

10. Luke M

Luke M [H]Lite

The purpose of the flicker is to reduce motion blur.

Yes, but if the source frame rate is fixed (e.g. TV broadcast), then just increasing the monitor refresh doesn't help. Need to use motion interpolation.

11. oledguy1

oledguy1 n00bie

12. oledguy1

oledguy1 n00bie

It mentioned the strobe effect in the video but obviously you can't tell how it looks from the Youtube video. So how bad is the strobing? One person seems to not think it is a big deal but another person seems to the think it is the end of the world...

13. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

This is 60 Hz strobe effect:

[​IMG]

14. oledguy1

oledguy1 n00bie

Really?? Is it that bad? Vega, I thought you liked the monitor??

15. jbltecnicspro

jbltecnicspro [H]ardness Supreme

Thank you Vega for posting this. Still using CRT as my main display and it looks like sooner rather than later, I'll have the true successor.

16. Sancus

Sancus Limp Gawd

One of the very first things Vega posted when he got the monitor was that the 60hz strobe flickering was very noticeable and that the 120hz anti-flicker mode was much better than a 60hz LCD.

17. oledguy1

oledguy1 n00bie

Yes, I read that but a few other posters said that the 120hz anti-flicker mode was still not very usable, especially in gaming. Plus, I believe Vega mentioned that the 120hz anti-flicker resulted in a double image. I just wanted to know how bad it was in practice. But even if the anit-flicker mode is still better than a 60hz LCD, then it should be great. I am using the HP Omen 32 freesync monitor now. I crave great contrast and zero black for gaming and I just wanted to make sure that the picture quality gains outweighed any negatives in terms of refresh, etc. Thanks.

18. oledguy1

oledguy1 n00bie

uggghhhhh... I want to pull the trigger on this monitor but I keep going back and forth on my decision... It will be a cascade upgrade because I will have to upgrade my GPU as well to be able to hit 4k at 60fps. My R9 Fury won't be able to hit 60fps at 4k without dialing all the detail back...

19. l88bastard

l88bastard 2[H]4U

Buy it, try it, return it and get a C7 like the rest of us did.

20. oledguy1

oledguy1 n00bie

Did Dell pull the plug on this monitor?? It doesn't come up on their site under monitors if you filter through their monitor section under UltraSharp or 4k/8k. I did a google search and found a direct link to the Dell site for the UP3017Q and it is now listed for $3,305.06 but when I click 'Add to Cart' I get an error message saying this page failed to load or no longer exists. Can anyone else check and see if they are getting the same thing?

The 55" LG C7 is just too big for my desk and viewing distance. 32" to maaaaaybe 40" is as large as I want to go....

21. Geforcepat

Geforcepat Gawd

Well looks like you'll be waiting until 2020 for vega or whatever it's called. at least by then, you'll get a nice price drop on that dell.

22. l88bastard

l88bastard 2[H]4U

Yea,,,thats what we all said...55" to big....40" most I want on my desk....blah, blah, blah....I was one of those....I was like you once. Now I have an OLED wall on my desk and life is good ;-0

23. Skott

Skott 2[H]4U

Another choice is the KS8000/8500 series TV. Its cheaper than the C7. Just slightly less input lag. Comes in 49" size. For 4K TVs I think right now the best choices seem to be either the C7 or the KS8000/8500 from all the data I been seeing.