• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Official StarCraft 2 Discussion Thread

Well, I know for sure the lead designer has changed. The lead designer right now (his name slips my mind) has worked on C&C Generals and Red Alert 2.
 
i remeber reading on a pc gamer a while back that a company was trying to make starcraft run on a wc3 engine same exact game just with wc3 graphics. anyone heard of this any links???
 
so those reapers with the jetpacks are from starship troppers (novel)?
 
nah

if anything, people that play WoW would keep their WoW accounts AND get a SC account. And then theres people like me that couldnt get into WoW because of all the magic and enchanting and crap that would love to play SC mmorpg.

not to mention the graphics of WoW are horribly dated and hurt my eyes when I look at screenshots

there needs to be a new mmorpg
Blizzard makes excellent products, If youve ever played wow @1600x1050 or greater with everything maxed including distance it is a pretty game, Blizzard knows how to polish and balance a game and im pretty sure you can turn graphics from crappy to awesome if your rig can handle it. What I dont know is if the new battle.net will become a subscription, I hope not.
 
I haven't heard this anywhere. It seems to be the same people.

It happened a long time a go.

Well, I know for sure the lead designer has changed. The lead designer right now (his name slips my mind) has worked on C&C Generals and Red Alert 2.

Bill Roper was the lead designer, SC was his baby, he left with quit a few people to start flagship studios, which is currently making Hellgate London. Most of the people that left worked on the Diablo series I think. So much of what we see in Hellgate will be what they wanted to do for D3.

Here is a google cache interview
 
so those reapers with the jetpacks are from starship troppers (novel)?

Alot of StarCraft is ripped off of Starship troopers :D

I mean come on... lol.... click on the Drop Ship for Terran 8-12 times and you will know what I mean.... :D
 
The scales are still as wrong as they were in number 1 and my OCD won't let me enjoy a game where 6 dudes pile out of a carrier that is smaller than 2 of them standing together.

And buildings that magicly produces hundreds of soldiers yet its only maybe 4 times at big as one of them.
 
If everything was to scale, the game would be unplayable. A carrier is big enough to fill up the sky.

not to mention that it will make the pace of battles slow since you will have to change camera views to go to from one scene to the next.. etc
 
not to mention that it will make the pace of battles slow since you will have to change camera views to go to from one scene to the next.. etc

Sup Comm pulls it off flawlessly. Hence its the only traditional RTS I can enjoy playing.

I totally understand the game mechanics behind the choice of scale, its just it totally destroys any immersion I would otherwise have had while playing. Just a down side to OCD i guess.
 
Sup Comm pulls it off flawlessly. Hence its the only traditional RTS I can enjoy playing.

I totally understand the game mechanics behind the choice of scale, its just it totally destroys any immersion I would otherwise have had while playing. Just a down side to OCD i guess.

Well if you watch the cut scenes in SC1 you will notice the Terran battle cruisers as someone else said, could fill up the sky, they're huge. It's not really any different for SC other than that the units are manufactured, making buildings huge would make building a base a pain in the ass, units are proportionate to that of SC even, just look a little closer :)

OCD has nothing to do with wanting the game being realistic, its related usually only to one thing or a series of specific things, not everything. Being a neat freak or extremely organized != OCD.

I agree though it would be awesome for immersions sake but, those huge carrier class ships would have to be ultra powerful not to make it feel stupid when they go down after a couple little anti air units take them out :)
 
Thats exactly what I would want to see. SupComm maintains its scale because everything is so huge. Zoom right in on a building... see those tiny little windows? Lets say they are the hight of a human (Full wall windows), basing that as a comparison against say... the trees in the map, that is about right for a big ass tree that been growing un-disterbed for 100s of years.

So using this same 'windows' scale, that means that yes, the commanders are fuking huge, and the building COULD contain enough resources and technology to build the units that are coming out of it, humans COULD be piled into that tank, etc...

The only exception for me is that I think the Aeon flying fortress should have been bigger. Same hit points, just bigger.

Another RTS I love due to its effectiv euse of scale is Homeworld 1/2, but its hardly a 'traditional' RTS.

I am OCD in the rest of my life. Only mild, but enough to be noticable. Everything has to be neat, symetrical or at least 'grided'. All 90deg angles and open surfaces. Not so much the 'clean' OCD you see with freaking out with gems and stuff though.
 
I agree with ya on all the SupCom points. The problem I have with the game and why I think it isn't getting a very large fanbase is that it has no feeling to it. Theres no connection with the units or the races, they're all like robots you're controlling. In Starcraft there is a definite feel to each race and they have their humorous feedback phrases when you click on them along with images of the unit.
 
Yeah your right. But it I was a supreme commander intent of taking over/saving the universe, I couldnt give a shit about the driver of that tank. Just how well it was built and what kind of firepower it has. :p

Anyway... I do love Starcraft's universe and story, so I'm just glad theres a new game coming out because of all the cool new art that is being released. Hopfully Jo Mad gets back into it as well!

starcraft_ghost.jpg
 
I'm 16, anyone who's anyone in the computer/geek circle is in love with starcraft. :D

such a lie. i loved age of empires 2, really liked warcraft 3, and found star craft to be really really dull.
 
you guys know is still pre-alpha.. not final.. they clearly said that in the videos
and also stated they still have alot of work ahead .

we havent seen much of the terrans and zerg races..
also in an interview they said that there were be alot of units... things the demo only showed a few of them...
 
They said there's a lot of balancing work ahead of them. In all of the interviews, they've already said the multiplayer aspect of SC2 is basically done (meaning all the new units, buildings, etc. are done), now they just have to balance the races.

But yeah, they've already said they are going to keep the same amount of units for each race as the the original (which is roughly 13), that means probably over half of the original units are gone. :(
 
i got starcraft battlechest for 9.99 at gamestop


i orginally bought the game back in 1998 when it was released
havent played it in 10 years i lost my orginal box and disc
 
Originally Posted by Weenis View Post
Yeah I played SC in middle school, and I'm 22 now I think since it's been so long a lot of the younger crowd never played it, many probably have never even heard of it.

I'm 17, and I remember giving up 3 summers basically just playing it. the year 2000 was an awesome year. :D
 
i got starcraft battlechest for 9.99 at gamestop


i orginally bought the game back in 1998 when it was released
havent played it in 10 years i lost my orginal box and disc

that's just unfair. I hit up 2 eb games, 1 game stop, 2 targets, 2 best buys, 1 circuit city, 1 k-mart, and 1 walmart and all of them were OUT OF STOCK.
 
ya they had 3 battlechests were i live in one store
we have 3 gamestops were i live right next to each other
 
I will buy Starcraft 2 the day it comes out. I may even pre-order it actually, and I've never pre-ordered a game before. I basically quit playing games after the last Age of Empires game.
 
i got starcraft battlechest for 9.99 at gamestop


i orginally bought the game back in 1998 when it was released
havent played it in 10 years i lost my orginal box and disc

Same here, I just picked up a new battlechest today for $10. It was marked as $20, but they had a "half off Gamer Days" sale that brought it to $10. I bought StarCraft upon its launch way back when, but I don't know where the discs are, let alone the original sleeve with the CD key. So, I figured I may as well buy it again :p .

EDIT: Just tried a few games, fun as I remember :D!
 
you guys know is still pre-alpha.. not final.. they clearly said that in the videos
and also stated they still have alot of work ahead .
...
yeah so this sticky should be around for..oh...4 years? :p

to the topic. loose the engine. PIONEER YOU CHEAP ASS FUCKS. do something with all that cash you made off us all. impress us. :rolleyes: really, for what they've shown us, this is hardly anything to get excited over. just another overdun game

key word...PIONEER!
 
to be honest, i mean the screenshots make it look cartoonish, but the gameplay video's are quite the contrary. Im impressed with the engine there using
 
I'd buy it just for the cutscenes.

While it is sad to let some of the older units go, it would be a lot harder to acheive the balance that everyone is expecting if they just added more units.
 
agreed, and going back to an earlier comment about how the protoss will have a mothership (the uber ship) and the zerg or terran WILL NOT have an equal ship, but will have methods of dealing with the uber ship. It will acheive balance in a new way opposite of the original.
Im looking foward to this!
 
I've been playing Broodwars off and on for 7 years now and I will definately be pre-ordering SC2 when it comes out.I'm anxious to see what units stay and go as well. Blizzard hasn't diasspointed me since WoW and i doubt they will disappoint us with SC2. I'm so excited for this game. Im actually going to upgrade my system when they give us a release date just for this game :D
 
agreed, and going back to an earlier comment about how the protoss will have a mothership (the uber ship) and the zerg or terran WILL NOT have an equal ship, but will have methods of dealing with the uber ship. It will acheive balance in a new way opposite of the original.
Im looking foward to this!

Eh...I don't even think mothership is all that powerful. The Demo was there to specifically show its abilities...I mean all it fought against was marines and some turrets. The battlecruisers that fought the mothership weren't even targeting at it. Plus, I'm sure Blizzard will set a limit on how many units the black hole can suck in.

Basically, one EMP blast from science vessel (assuming they're still in) > mothership, lockdown > mothership, darkswarm + hydras > mothership, etc.
 
Wow, I haven't seen this level of bashing since the Vista release <inside joke>.

I only started messing around with StarCraft just last year for about a month or so, and I did get into it pretty heavy in a short period of time. Was pretty fun stuff, and that's coming from a guy that's been a diehard Quaker since day 1 of the Quake series in early alphas.

But after watching that HD clip of the gameplay action - lemme correct that: of the incredibly alpha but still wicked evil cool kickass awesome maniacal beautiful gameplay action, I have to say I'm fuckin' jazzed right now, and that hasn't happened when watching a future game in... well... forever actually.

I'm going out tomorrow to find the StarCraft Battlechest someplace here in Las Vegas. Hopefully Fry's will have it for a decent price - and tomorrow, which is only 1.25 hours away as I'm typing this, is my birthday sooo...

For all the stuff I just skimmed through (all 15 pages of this thread) all I've seen is whining with a few good posts thrown in for good measure. It's obvious that the StarCraft series ain't about the graphics, but even so, consider how far they've got to go before this thing does see the light of day on store shelves and hard drives. Just imagine the possibilities of what's about to start. Look at how much activity there's been since this announcement which happened what, less than 2 weeks ago?

It's patently obviously from the gameplay clip the game is designed for widescreen and really hi resolution graphics. Anyone that thinks they're just sticking with some old graphics engine and 800x600 max needs to go back and pull the Commodore 64 outta the closet and get back to work on the peek and poke commands. :)

This thing, just from the demo video, is going to change so much over the coming year or so - and I fully expect it to show up some time in mid 2008 so I'm in no hurry. Just gives me more time to brush up on my StarCraft skills with the Battlechest stuff and see what I can do to prepare for the SC II launch.

They've got a long long way to go from what I've seen. Just because the demo only showed a majority of Protoss related stuff doesn't mean the other races are weaker - obviously balance is THE strong point in StarCraft, and even with the original team from StarCraft not being the entire team working on this, I'll bet this game will be just as balanced as the original without any doubts.

I'm gonna go look for more stuff to read now, I just wanted to add my $.02 and say I'm in for the long haul and I intend to keep on top of this stuff. Beta program, here I come... name your price for an invite. :)

Have fun, always...
 
Back
Top