• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Official StarCraft 2 Discussion Thread

G'ßöö;1031120387 said:
yeah so this sticky should be around for..oh...4 years? :p

to the topic. loose the engine. PIONEER YOU CHEAP ASS FUCKS. do something with all that cash you made off us all. impress us. :rolleyes: really, for what they've shown us, this is hardly anything to get excited over. just another overdun game

key word...PIONEER!

I agree with you, but you know they cant, why? Well because the blizzard team is too busy playing Warcrack together and using TS to make it fun instead of working on SC2!!! So I have a feeling were gonna see a repeat of STALKER, where the game will be so delayed for a couple of years that the graphics are gonna suck by then even if they do polish the eye candy, dont get me wrong I do like STALKER and play it, just it should have been released 2 years ago it would have been so much better.
 
^^ did you stop for a second and think before making that post

@ bbz_Ghost.. totally agree with you there..
the game is about gameplay.. which starcraft excels at..

and from looking at the starcraft 2.. it looks like it will be alot of fun to play..
not to mention the story and cinematics..

I too went to buy the battlechest edition since it has been a while since i played starcarft.. and need to recap on the story and skills...
 
I agree with you, but you know they cant, why? Well because the blizzard team is too busy playing Warcrack together and using TS to make it fun instead of working on SC2!!! So I have a feeling were gonna see a repeat of STALKER, where the game will be so delayed for a couple of years that the graphics are gonna suck by then even if they do polish the eye candy, dont get me wrong I do like STALKER and play it, just it should have been released 2 years ago it would have been so much better.

worst post i've seen in a while. well done.
 
worst post i've seen in a while. well done.

Look, its not even the same blizzard team that made the original starcraft, if that does not tell you something, then I dont know what will. So far the only thing that looks kick ass is the cinematics, but they really need to ditch the warcraft 3 engine, its 4 years old for gods sake.
 
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=642254

Online price for $9.99.

Use code SAVER for free shipping, too.

Since two or three people on this page alone want the Battlechest, I thought I'd bring this to this page.

$9.99 + tax + free shipping! I doubt you'll find it for $10 in many places, so save on gas (since it's expensive these days) and just have it shipped to your door at the cheapest price around ;)
 
Look, its not even the same blizzard team that made the original starcraft, if that does not tell you something, then I dont know what will. So far the only thing that looks kick ass is the cinematics, but they really need to ditch the warcraft 3 engine, its 4 years old for gods sake.

again... graphics is not everything in a game

Gameplay and story (not to mention the cinematics) is what makes a game succeed.. that happened with the original starcraft ...
 
Since two or three people on this page alone want the Battlechest, I thought I'd bring this to this page.

$9.99 + tax + free shipping! I doubt you'll find it for $10 in many places, so save on gas (since it's expensive these days) and just have it shipped to your door at the cheapest price around ;)

OMG!!! REPOST LOLZOR!!!! Just kidding, good idea actually :).
 
I did go out the day after my birthday and found the Battlechest at a local Gamespot here in Vegas - $9.99 out the door. Haven't installed it yet since I've been doing some other stuff but, I'll get around to it.

Should be interesting to see how things progress compared to that gameplay video which I keep watching about once a day. If they've kept that work hidden from prying eyes for nearly 3 years now, who knows...

My Wife is a big D2 fan, always has been. If they're resurrecting StarCraft which is nearly 10 years old... and D2 came out the year after StarCraft... and Blizzard does have a penchant for sequels... let's hope that if StarCraft II sets the gaming world ablaze as the first one did, Blizzard might pull some magic out for the fans of D2.

I know for one my Wife is hoping for it... and I'd hate to see her disappointed. :)

Have fun, always...
 
I don't get into her D2 "world," that's her domain, not mine. If it's some expansion pack (like a community created one) I don't think she's aware of it. If you have more info you can PM me so we don't derail this thread much I'd appreciate it. If it's something else, well, that shows you how much I know about D2, eh? :)

Thanks...
 
Here's my guess...Blizzard isn't dumb, they're pushing and advertising to build up for the holidays. I'll bet you that SC2 will release just before Christmas.
 
graphics aren't everything.

this is the company that released Diablo 2 in 2d and still sold millions..even when 3D graphics were common-place at the time.

this is the same company that decided to go in the direction of a highly stylized, low poly MMO instead of cutting edge technology (as opposed to EQ2) and it has sold millions.

they can release this game with the War3 engine, or any other 3d engine and it will sell millions and get 90% reviews across the board. it doesnt matter specific people are behind the game, as long as it's BLIZZARD on the box. their philosophy is the same.

its going to kick ass. and you know what? you're going to buy it.
 
graphics aren't everything.

this is the company that released Diablo 2 in 2d and still sold millions..even when 3D graphics were common-place at the time.

this is the same company that decided to go in the direction of a highly stylized, low poly MMO instead of cutting edge technology (as opposed to EQ2) and it has sold millions.

they can release this game with the War3 engine, or any other 3d engine and it will sell millions and get 90% reviews across the board. it doesnt matter specific people are behind the game, as long as it's BLIZZARD on the box. their philosophy is the same.

its going to kick ass. and you know what? you're going to buy it.

LMAO,thats awesome^^
 
also neglected to mention: that is *not* the War3 engine. numerous interviews have stated that SC2 will require Pixel shader 2 which War3 didn't require.

from the Starcraft2.com FAQ:

Will StarCraft II take advantage of DirectX 10? What other graphical goodies are included?

The game will be compatible with DirectX 10, and we're still considering whether there will be exclusive DirectX 10 graphic effects, but the graphics engine will also be very scalable to ensure that a wide range of different systems will be capable of running StarCraft II. The new engine is also capable of rendering very large units, as well as large numbers of units on screen together. Havok physics have been integrated into the engine for added realism as well.

so how about a nice warm glass of shut the hell up...
 
its going to kick ass. and you know what? you're going to buy it.

That depends on if there is a demo, and if I like it.

Prior to playing the demo, I had every intention of buying C&C3. I played the demo and...didn't buy the game. It was underwhelming. Nothing really new or original. The game didn't feel significantly different from the previous games. I'm not going to drop $50 on a graphics upgrade, a few new units/powers, and a new set of cutscenes (regardless of the reported hotties). I decided after the C&C3 demo that it wasn't worth giving up time on SupCom and CoH.

From what I've seen of SC2, I'm concerned it may have that "more of the same" feel. Yes the new units look cool and the graphics are prettier, but will the gameplay be significantly different? Because I gotta tell you...I don't much care for the gameplay of the original. After playing Total Annihilation--a game where air units move like they're actually flying, terrain can obstruct fire, and the mechanics of the game were at least remotely intuitive--I simply couldn't enjoy StarCraft, where every shot finds its target and terrain is only good for limiting movement.

And then there were the gimmicks. In games like StarCraft, it seems the game gives players far too many ways to use gimmick tactics that have absolutely no basis in tactical thinking and rely on knowledge of game minutia.

With the recent and upcoming tactical RTS games on the market, I don't know that SC2 is going to be able to get my attention.

Yes, it's probably going to be the most popular RTS in the next round of releases. Yes, it's going to sell millions and be played for years. No, that doesn't make it revolutionary, the best on the market, or even particularly good. They could take StarCraft, blown the dust off it, add prettier graphics, a single new unit per faction and a few maps and sell it as SC2 and still rake in millions. Not that Blizzard would do that...I'm just saying, don't underestimate the power of the fanguys.
 
agreed, and going back to an earlier comment about how the protoss will have a mothership (the uber ship) and the zerg or terran WILL NOT have an equal ship, but will have methods of dealing with the uber ship. It will acheive balance in a new way opposite of the original.
Im looking foward to this!

Company of Heroes is all about this, so it's good to see other RTS take a step in that direction.

In CoH, there is no one counter for any unit or strategy. If I'm playing as Axis (which I do exclusively) I have to field a combination of infantry and MG teams to deal with an Allied player who exclusively pumps out rifleman squads. Because early Allied armor is generally superior, I need to get grenadiers equipped with panzerschreks...the Allies don't even have access to infantry-based anti-tank weapons unless it is via special abilities given by chosing a specific ability tree. In the late game when I'm fielding high-veterancy Tiger tanks, my opponent won't have anything that can take one on head-to-head.

I'd like to see more of this in a game like SC2. I'm afraid it will take the paper-rock-scissors approach rather than giving units specific attributes (in CoH it's armor type versus armor penetration in addition to damage, along with other factors).
 
know why TA didn't achieve the success that SC1 did? Battle.net.

No one makes online matchmaking like blizzard does. They've invested money in the *one* area no one else has...online. EA didn't do it for C&C and THQ hasn't done it with SupCom or CoH. While those games might be wildly successful, I'll venture a guess and bet my house (yes i own one) that Starcraft 2 sells more units and will have more players online in head to head action than all 3 of them combined.

It might not be incredibly revolutionary. It might not reinvent the wheel, but it will be refined, it will be fun and it will be addicting. I'm not a fanboy. It doesn't take a fanboy to understand how Blizzard works. They take what's already been done and do it better than its been done before.

And the best thing? They'll support it for YEARS. They'll look at how people are playing, evaluate the way people are playing, and tweak it. Unlike EA who has proven time and time again that they're just fine with releasing patches for a year after the game is released and then forgetting they ever released a game except for when the checks come in. FYI, Starcraft was released in 1998 and they released version 1.15 just last month.
 
know why TA didn't achieve the success that SC1 did? Battle.net.

No, there's a lot more to it than that.

TA wasn't as pretty as SC. Yes it had 3D graphics and was far more sophisticated, but it was also bland.

TA also didn't have unit and faction diversity the way SC did. That's the one thing SC gave the RTS genre that had never been done before: gave us three unique factions that were balanced versus each other and themselves.

No one makes online matchmaking like blizzard does. They've invested money in the *one* area no one else has...online. EA didn't do it for C&C and THQ hasn't done it with SupCom or CoH. While those games might be wildly successful, I'll venture a guess and bet my house (yes i own one) that Starcraft 2 sells more units and will have more players online in head to head action than all 3 of them combined.

GPGnet is the best multiplay service I've ever seen, far better than Battle.net.

RelicOnline sucks, CoH needs a major overhaul (and it sounds like Opposing Fronts will help it a lot)

It might not be incredibly revolutionary. It might not reinvent the wheel, but it will be refined, it will be fun and it will be addicting. I'm not a fanboy. It doesn't take a fanboy to understand how Blizzard works. They take what's already been done and do it better than its been done before.

And the best thing? They'll support it for YEARS. They'll look at how people are playing, evaluate the way people are playing, and tweak it. Unlike EA who has proven time and time again that they're just fine with releasing patches for a year after the game is released and then forgetting they ever released a game except for when the checks come in. FYI, Starcraft was released in 1998 and they released version 1.15 just last month.

They can continue to support StarCraft because it continues to be a revenue stream for them.

EA is certainly known for abandoning their projects. C&C Generals: Zero Hour was patched all of four times iirc, and dropped with a number of significant bugs still in existence (scudbug, anyone?). I expect C&C 3 will last much longer and not be abandoned in quite such bad shape, but I'm also anticipating it being the last of the franchise...EA just doesn't have the patience or expertise to engage the RTS community imo.

TA was supported for a while by developers even after Cavedog went away. I'm hoping SupCom has a long lifespan. Being under the umbrella of THQ, I expect they'll have the clout to keep it around as a long-running community.

CoH (my personal favorite at the moment) remains to be seen...with the standalone expansion in the works, I expect it'll be around for a while. They have said they plan on it being a long-running franchise, assuming they make the sales numbers they need. Here's hoping.
 
oh i hope valkyries come back! :p

Yeah, I love valkyries but its a broken unit and Blizzard never bothered to fix it. In a game where there are too many units on the map, valks are not able to shoot their missiles due to SC limiting the amount of units that be appear in a map.
 
Yeah, I love valkyries but its a broken unit and Blizzard never bothered to fix it. In a game where there are too many units on the map, valks are not able to shoot their missiles due to SC limiting the amount of units that be appear in a map.

I remember back in the day I was wondering why my carriers weren't doing a single thing. Then I realized there were too many units on screen to send out their little interceptors.
 
I remember back in the day I was wondering why my carriers weren't doing a single thing. Then I realized there were too many units on screen to send out their little interceptors.

I had that problem too Is that what it was?

I'm not buying unless they include another Blizzard Notepad with the game, I'm just about out of pages on mine (10 years later) lol.
 
know why TA didn't achieve the success that SC1 did? Battle.net.

No one makes online matchmaking like blizzard does. They've invested money in the *one* area no one else has...online. EA didn't do it for C&C and THQ hasn't done it with SupCom or CoH. While those games might be wildly successful, I'll venture a guess and bet my house (yes i own one) that Starcraft 2 sells more units and will have more players online in head to head action than all 3 of them combined.

It might not be incredibly revolutionary. It might not reinvent the wheel, but it will be refined, it will be fun and it will be addicting. I'm not a fanboy. It doesn't take a fanboy to understand how Blizzard works. They take what's already been done and do it better than its been done before.

And the best thing? They'll support it for YEARS. They'll look at how people are playing, evaluate the way people are playing, and tweak it. Unlike EA who has proven time and time again that they're just fine with releasing patches for a year after the game is released and then forgetting they ever released a game except for when the checks come in. FYI, Starcraft was released in 1998 and they released version 1.15 just last month.

you couldnt be more right! SC2 Forever!.
 
All I can say is Starcrat 2 will ruin my life . lOl.

I believe [H] should host a server for Starcraft2 when its released :)

Then we can have a RTS pwnage orgy.
 
GPGnet is the best multiplay service I've ever seen, far better than Battle.net.

I hate GPGnet and it is the only reason why I'm not playing SupCom online anymore.

The Peer-to-Peer hosting idea is a fucking failure. Too many variables and most gamers will never figure out how to open their ports correctly and get scared away from the game. Great idea there....
 
Just curious... but did anyone here ever play StarCraft 64? I did... I had that extra ram in my N64 so I was able to play it... but it just didn't feel the same as SC does on the PC :cool:
 
Im not much of an RTS player, but Im excited about SC2 because I have yet to see a bad Blizz game. They've had success since the orginal Warcraft. I'm still hopin' for D3 Multiplayer, not MMO, at Blizzcon..hopefully that cd key for a beta is not gonna be for another WoW expansion, that would be just adding another crack rock to the pipe.
 
Just saw the HD version of the PCGamer video. Jesus...I cannot wait for this game!

Carri...I mean Tempest, Archon and Reaver are back! Not to mention moving Photon cannons!
 
Campaign Collection is coming to PC Game Pass on November 5.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/10/15/xbox-game-pass-october-2024-wave-2/

1729008397499.png
 
Back
Top