Official Overwatch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
Yeah, I tried venturing into PvP and it was basically a shitshow every round. There was some rank 1 on the other team just destroying us with the blue Egyptian rocket girl...almost seemed like hacking but I dunno. Playing with randoms just sucks, no one wants to support the team and everyone just picks the offensive characters, even on defense. Several times I was forced to switch characters just because no one else would play a healer of any kind.

I need some sort of a chart showing which characters counter which others, and why...it doesn't seem obvious to me.

It's frustrating when your team doesn't want to play anything like a "proper" composition, I agree. As for hero counters, some of it can be pretty situational but:

OWHero_Counters.jpg

Some of these aren't completely accurate(I'd argue that, for example, Roadhog is a pretty poor counter to Pharah unless the Pharah isn't very good), but it should give you an idea. As for the "why", with 21 heroes having several counters each, that would take...a lot of text to explain. A lot of that understanding will come from practice, playing the game and getting a better understanding of each heroes individual strengths and then thinking about what would put them off-guard. You can see that Hanzo and Widowmaker both have Winston listed as a counter - Winston can counter their mobility with his leap, he can get over the enemy to the backfield(where Hanzo and Widowmaker are likely to be) with his leap, his weapon can track them easily which is a sort-of soft-counter to their mobility as well, and his dome can shield him from incoming fire from the enemies he leaped over to get into the backfield while he deals with the snipers.

Yeah, I tried venturing into PvP and it was basically a shitshow every round. There was some rank 1 on the other team just destroying us with the blue Egyptian rocket girl...almost seemed like hacking but I dunno. Playing with randoms just sucks, no one wants to support the team and everyone just picks the offensive characters, even on defense. Several times I was forced to switch characters just because no one else would play a healer of any kind.

I need some sort of a chart showing which characters counter which others, and why...it doesn't seem obvious to me.
http://transamws6.com/pics/pc/2010/Overwatch Character Classes and Roles.jpg

I ran into an all Soldier 76 team. On the attack they rolled us. On Defence they started out as all Soldier but then changed as we were rolling them.
We did that yesterday on Gibraltar, got the payload most of the way then the other team switched to 3 Reinhardts and a Roadhog.

The game does need some more balancing IMO because as mentioned already, Hanzos arrows have a ridiculously large hitbox which I suspect was done for consoles and carried over to the PC because Blizzard probably doesn't want to have two very different code bases.

Additionally, McCree needs his flashbang nerfed as it shouldn't freeze you but rather slow you down and maybe make the screen white temporarily. D.Va mech suit needs a damage boost as it's almost completely worthless as is and she's more effective without it. Winston Tesla gun is also on the weak side and I think it could use a bit of a buff. Tracers blink also needs a slight nerf so it takes longer to recharge.

Btw I mentioned this in the other overwatch thread but if you want to meet up for a team game, my friends and I can be found on our TS: ts3.techinferno.com anyone is welcome to join.

The game does need some more balancing IMO because as mentioned already, Hanzos arrows have a ridiculously large hitbox which I suspect was done for consoles and carried over to the PC because Blizzard probably doesn't want to have two very different code bases.

Additionally, McCree needs his flashbang nerfed as it shouldn't freeze you but rather slow you down and maybe make the screen white temporarily. D.Va mech suit needs a damage boost as it's almost completely worthless as is and she's more effective without it. Winston Tesla gun is also on the weak side and I think it could use a bit of a buff. Tracers blink also needs a slight nerf so it takes longer to recharge.

Btw I mentioned this in the other overwatch thread but if you want to meet up for a team game, my friends and I can be found on our TS: ts3.techinferno.com anyone is welcome to join.

McCree is overall very powerful due to his fan the hammer, it can tear up even tanks it's ridiculous. I also hate the fact that his revolver has 100% accuracy at long range. D.Va is mainly a tank with a gun that never needs to reload. She can also absorb a ton of bullets and basically counters every projectile ultimate. Winston is great for focusing on weaker enemies while being tanky and hard to hit, the guy leaps like 50 yards across the map! He can get right up into most players faces with no issue and tear through people like Rattrap, Tracer and Windowmaker. I think Tracer is fine the way she is, hard to hit but squishy. Two well placed Phara rockets can kill her quickly and she dies to most in 1 shot, a well played Roadhog dominates her. Maybe up the cooldown on her reverse time but that's about it.

D.va is probably the least scary hero in the game in my opinion. Her damage is so shit that I just man fight her almost every chance I get. It's not even uncommon to trash her mech before she can even get moving again after a resummon. Her ult is useless unless she lobs the thing from 4 miles downtown so nobody can escape in time. Otherwise you can just put a piece of rice paper between you and the explosion and congrats it's nullified. More damage is probably an OK start.

McCree just does way too much damage with the fan. Half the time he can just fan from 25 feet away and you're nearly instagibbed because it's still accurate enough that a few shots land. A fan roll fan combo can do over 800 fucking damage if everything lands up close. Make the flash a bit less generous and reduce the fan damage a notch and he's fine, I think.

Zenyatta is fucking as durable as wet tissue paper. I think he really needs 175 or 200 hp.

Last edited:
D.va is probably the least scary hero in the game in my opinion. Her damage is so shit that I just man fight her almost every chance I get. It's not even uncommon to trash her mech before she can even get moving again after a resummon. Her ult is useless unless she lobs the thing from 4 miles downtown so nobody can escape in time. Otherwise you can just put a piece of rice paper between you and it and the explosion and congrats it's nullified.

Yep D.Va as she is right now is a complete joke, almost as much as Symmetra (who also needs a boost of some kind). Yesterday I rotated between Reaper, Hanzo, Mei, Torbjorn and all of them wrecked her hard without me having to move around much. I just focused in on the center where she has only glass protecting her face and it tore through her suit really fast and then finished her off quickly when she popped out. As for McCree, I found myself shouting, "what the fuck?" a few times because I'd get flashed from behind and still freeze which makes no sense and then get fan the hammered up my ass.

Edit: Looks like Blizzard is looking into it: Blizzard balancers looking at Overwatch heroes McCree and D. Va

Played on a game last night where the other team had 3 bastions at the end. Not a bad strategy really though, they got into a defensive spot and just sprayed death on everyone.
We won anyway I think. :)
I was playing bastion on our side. ;)

He is still my fave. feels like he has already been nerfed since beta.

And it looks like they're looking at the right things - adjusting fan the hammer instead of the flashbang, and not upping D.Va's damage as the primary way to balance her.

D.Va is so huge and slow as soon as she pops into the area everyone blasts her. I tried playing her and gave up quick.

D.Va is so huge and slow as soon as she pops into the area everyone blasts her. I tried playing her and gave up quick.

Her limited movement while firing is a big problem, in-fact probably the biggest in my opinion. Moving her "headshot" area to the rear of the mech would also be a good change I think.

D.va is probably the least scary hero in the game in my opinion. Her damage is so shit that I just man fight her almost every chance I get. It's not even uncommon to trash her mech before she can even get moving again after a resummon. Her ult is useless unless she lobs the thing from 4 miles downtown so nobody can escape in time. Otherwise you can just put a piece of rice paper between you and the explosion and congrats it's nullified. More damage is probably an OK start.

McCree just does way too much damage with the fan. Half the time he can just fan from 25 feet away and you're nearly instagibbed because it's still accurate enough that a few shots land. A fan roll fan combo can do over 800 fucking damage if everything lands up close. Make the flash a bit less generous and reduce the fan damage a notch and he's fine, I think.

Zenyatta is fucking as durable as wet tissue paper. I think he really needs 175 or 200 hp.

I've played more DVa than other heroes and do pretty well as an off-tank harassing the back lines. I play her pretty much the same as Tracer. Maybe it's because she essentially has 2 lives, but my eliminations/death is higher with her than when I play others, 3.7ish:1. If I can get anyone alone in close quarters with the exception of Reapers or a good McCree, I can usually take them out pretty easily. The trick is to get in close otherwise you're pretty much useless which is why I usually only pick her on KotH maps.

That being said, you're right, if I run into an opponent DVa I'm not scared at all of her, and I need to be extremely clever to get a single kill with her Ult. I've been mainly just using it to get people to leave the area when my mech is low on health and get a new mech right away.

This game is rather gimmicky but I find it entertaining to some extent. One thing is I love Blizz's strong arm approach to cheats.

Overwatch cheaters are having a hard time | PC Gamer

13d15613f9321bad43462336678d0830.png

Is there no way at all to get un-banned? I feel no sympathy for someone who cheats at video games, as playing online games with strangers is frustrating enough even without that, but I can also imagine being pretty upset if I got banned because they arbitrarily just decided that I was cheating, especially if I went so far as to buy a second copy of it.

Is there no way at all to get un-banned? I feel no sympathy for someone who cheats at video games, as playing online games with strangers is frustrating enough even without that, but I can also imagine being pretty upset if I got banned because they arbitrarily just decided that I was cheating, especially if I went so far as to buy a second copy of it.

Doesn't seem to be and hopefully it stays that way.

Yeah, I really like him as a character but you're right, he dies far too easily. Plus his main attack projectiles move too slow when others have essentially hitscan weapons. I also feel like his movement speed is far too slow.

I kinda feel that way about all of the support characters. I understand their goal is to help the team but if everyone else gets killed and you need to defend yourself you are basically SOL. I was getting killed even staying way far in the back of the battle because it's so easy for Soldier 76 or Widowmaker to just destroy the support characters at range.

I would say my favorite support so far is Lucio. He moves fast, has the ability to move even faster, AOE heals, and his weapon, thought with slow-moving projectiles as well, seems pretty powerful compared to Zenyatta.

Also Tracer needs an ammo nerf from 40 to 30 before reload....basically unhittable and anyone using her is guaranteed to kill you in one mag once they get behind you and start dashing around.

Also Tracer needs an ammo nerf from 40 to 30 before reload....basically unhittable and anyone using her is guaranteed to kill you in one mag once they get behind you and start dashing around.

or just be mccree and press e if she comes within 15 feet of you and instantly win the fight.

or hit her once as widowmaker

or be tracer and trace better

I added a few of you guys so if you see a request from Cyonik#1603 hit me up if you ever wanna group up.

I ran into an all Soldier 76 team. On the attack they rolled us. On Defence they started out as all Soldier but then changed as we were rolling them.

Haha... got rolled by an all Solider 76 attacking team as well, this was on Numbani.

Haha... got rolled by an all Solider 76 attacking team as well, this was on Numbani.
We were attacking at Numbani and the entire defense team was Mei's just putting up walls everywhere and trying to freeze us. That was an interesting match.

Thinking about giving this game a try, but I don't know a ton about how it actually works.
These days I'm more of a pad player than KB/M. How much does that matter in this game?

Thinking about giving this game a try, but I don't know a ton about how it actually works.
These days I'm more of a pad player than KB/M. How much does that matter in this game?

With the game being available on consoles I'd imagine the controls map over nicely. I'm not certain if you get the precision needed as the consoles likely have some aim assist enabled to compensate for it being less accurate of an input device.

With the game being available on consoles I'd imagine the controls map over nicely. I'm not certain if you get the precision needed as the consoles likely have some aim assist enabled.

That's kinda where I was headed. Is it twitchy where a KB/M setup would be unfair or is it less focused on being quicker to point at foes?

That's kinda where I was headed. Is it twitchy where a KB/M setup would be unfair or is it less focused on being quicker to point at foes?

It depends on the hero you use. Some require more accuracy than others, but you will be at a disadvantage with most of them.

The hit boxes are fairly lax IMO and while you might not be as competitive as a kb/m user I think you would easily hold your own and enjoy the game. Another thing to keep in mind is the game uses a shockingly low tickrate of ~20 per second. I think I'll try out my xbone and steam controllers this weekend so I can speak from experience.

Thanks, forwarded to blizzards support please expect your ban soon! ;)

on a serious note nice! I do love soldier 76, my favorite is still torbjorn though
To be honest, AI is so bad in this game that it's hilarious. I've broken 60 eliminations as Bastion and Pharah vs AI

Based on reactions from friends, I'll probably still get it. I'm just kinda over games that are 99% about mouse pointing foes and 1% everything else.

Based on reactions from friends, I'll probably still get it. I'm just kinda over games that are 99% about mouse pointing foes and 1% everything else.
This game is skill based for some characters, pharah and tracer are both amazingly deadly with players who can control their movments very well but shit tastic if you just move up and down on the other players barrel

How do you play with a full AI team like that?

I think the first time I played against AI with Widowmaker I got like 50 something eliminations.
Custom game and then fill with AI.

playing with all AI in a Custom game doesn't give you any XP, btw.
The stats aren't saved so you can use the custom game mode with all AI to learn how to use other characters without messing up your main stats.

Custom game and then fill with AI.

playing with all AI in a Custom game doesn't give you any XP, btw.
The stats aren't saved so you can use the custom game mode with all AI to learn how to use other characters without messing up your main stats.

Cool. Although, you can play vs AI with a real team and typically you will win, especially on Easy or Normal, and get XP for it.

Cool. Although, you can play vs AI with a real team and typically you will win, especially on Easy or Normal, and get XP for it.
I did that the first time. I didn't realize it was a real team vs AI at first till I talked and someone replied.

Lots of toxic people playing this game. I really do miss the olden days of online games. Sure, people could be mean and it was mostly expected.. But these kids these days are less mean/trashtalking and just annoying. That or maybe i'm just older and don't get it anymore. Do all versions of this game play together? I'm noticing a large crowd of people playing this game more so then other PC games that have that console trash / Halo trash quality to them.

Back