Official Overwatch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
I use the Curse chat app and I really like it, but I need more people to play Overwatch with.

Inside of Curse you can search for groups and I am currently hanging out with the Pure Onslaught group.

If you want to post your Curse chat group, please do! Or you can join Pure Onslaught if you want.

Here is a link to Curse's site:
https://www.curse.com/

if anyone wants to play in groups or whatever drop me an invite Putz #1218

With randoms I have seen very little mic usage. As long as you try to promote synergy by choosing complementary characters, you can do alright.

Random matchmaking with this game has been hit or miss for me though, mostly miss if I'm being honest. I actually play a fair amount of AI matches because it's generally more fun.

Same here, utter silence. No communication then people, after a loss, complain about no team work, Once in a while, as you say, there is an unspoken synergy but often it's people doing their own thing,

Is there certain stigma for using certain characters? I was playing as Junkrat, got play of the game with him, then my own teammate called me Junkrat scum or whatnot.

Same here, utter silence. No communication then people, after a loss, complain about no team work, Once in a while, as you say, there is an unspoken synergy but often it's people doing their own thing,

Is there certain stigma for using certain characters? I was playing as Junkrat, got play of the game with him, then my own teammate called me Junkrat scum or whatnot.

Junkrat Ult is just like super cheese (most things in this game are to one degree or another) and gets POTG without really even trying. Some people are salty about that. I got my first trap/mine combo kill today, so I'm loving me some junkrat. He's one of my favorite heroes to dmg boost when I'm on mercy, as the grenades are unpredictable and do a metric ton of damage.

Junkrat Ult is just like super cheese (most things in this game are to one degree or another) and gets POTG without really even trying. Some people are salty about that. I got my first trap/mine combo kill today, so I'm loving me some junkrat. He's one of my favorite heroes to dmg boost when I'm on mercy, as the grenades are unpredictable and do a metric ton of damage.

His ult is the loudest thing in the game: not only does he shout "fire in the hole!" but you can hear it driving around at all times. The tire has 100 health and quite a few characters can 1-hit it; if it's destroyed at any point (even when you're clicking to detonate) it will do no damage. So with that in mind, if the player can maneuver it into position and score a multikill, it's probably going to nab PotG considering how many of them I've been seeing with like 1-2 kills involved.

:) + Play of the game

kV1xPaE.png

:) + Play of the game

Most impressive thing is the gold for only 1k healing. No one played support on the team?

Yeah, a lot of the game is cheese. Most of my deaths are followed by "of course i died to X". And Junkrat and Pharah's "left clicks" do the most damage in the game, both do 120dmg for direct hits. I believe Junkrats mine also does 120dmg. I like using the mine like a sticky bomb in tf2. Just firing it at someone and exploding it in the air. Works well vs. faster offensive heroes that are in your face since it does no damage to you. I rarely ever place the mine on the ground and wait.

Most impressive thing is the gold for only 1k healing. No one played support on the team?

Yeah, a lot of the game is cheese. Most of my deaths are followed by "of course i died to X". And Junkrat and Pharah's "left clicks" do the most damage in the game, both do 120dmg for direct hits. I believe Junkrats mine also does 120dmg. I like using the mine like a sticky bomb in tf2. Just firing it at someone and exploding it in the air. Works well vs. faster offensive heroes that are in your face since it does no damage to you. I rarely ever place the mine on the ground and wait.

I really think JR could use a slight damage nerf. Nothing huge, but maybe just a touch less power on the grenades. Either that or maybe lower the blast radius a tiny bit. It's a little too easy to do a lot of damage on him right now (I think I average like 12k damage or something on him, and I'm honestly not even a good JR player compared to some of my friends.)

So true. I tossed a remote sticky bomb into a crowd of enemies and unintentionally launched myself backwards up onto a ledge, safe from them.

I really think JR could use a slight damage nerf. Nothing huge, but maybe just a touch less power on the grenades. Either that or maybe lower the blast radius a tiny bit. It's a little too easy to do a lot of damage on him right now (I think I average like 12k damage or something on him, and I'm honestly not even a good JR player compared to some of my friends.)

He's also a combat class with only 200 health (Widowmaker has 200 health...), low movement speed, and slow-moving arcing projectiles as his main damage source. It already takes 3 grenades to kill Mei or Reaper and 2 direct hits for the lighter classes assuming no healing involved - classes that often have much more reliable ways of dealing damage than the grenade launcher.

It's easy to rack up damage firing grenades into chokepoints/high traffic areas, but there's nothing wrong with that because area denial is Junkrat's role. The grenades are also quite visible and audible when bouncing around. If you tune down his damage he'll be horrible in CQ/1v1 situations, which already do not favor Junkrat, and he'll be ineffective at taking out fixed positions like Bastions/turrets/Widowmakers/etc.

It's easy to rack up damage firing grenades into chokepoints/high traffic areas, but there's nothing wrong with that because area denial is Junkrat's role.

Ain't that the truth especially when you play against a team with 3 of them. Completely held us off...bastards.

As someone who was born from the crucible of cp_dustbowl, I scoff at the idea of Junkrat needing a nerf.

It's obvious, to me at least, that the game was not balanced around the ability to stack multiple of the same hero. It's like it started out like a typical MOBA where you can only have one of each hero but late in development they realized the target audience consists of casual console players who will moan/bitch if they can't play their favorite character. On certain maps/objectives if your team has multiple of certain specific characters (not going to name any cause it will turn into a flame fest) - it makes the game way way too easy even against a skilled team. Being on the other side of it makes for an unfun game also.

I think Blizzard should just grow some balls and limit the teams to one of each character (which is my guess as to how the game was originally developed) so that they can actually implement some serious balance changes, the way Dota 2 and LoL do it. MOBAs can achieve the balance they do because they know that there will only be one of X, Y or Z character/ability on the map at any point in time.

I think for the ranked games (supposedly coming next month), they should limit it to 1 of each character

As someone who was born from the crucible of cp_dustbowl, I scoff at the idea of Junkrat needing a nerf.

Rofl. Those demomen who had the spam timing down with the piper launcher / mirv were infuriating. As someone who played in the ADL, I knew quite a few of them.

It's obvious, to me at least, that the game was not balanced around the ability to stack multiple of the same hero.

The game had a very extensive closed-beta test where balance changes were made regularly and new heroes were added during the course of the testing. The game has been balanced around the way it currently functions for months on end at this point.

The game had a very extensive closed-beta test where balance changes were made regularly and new heroes were added during the course of the testing. The game has been balanced around the way it currently functions for months on end at this point.

Eh...they didn't do a great job then because he is right - there is some crazy shit that goes on with teams of all or mostly the same hero.

Eh...they didn't do a great job then because he is right - there is some crazy shit that goes on with teams of all or mostly the same hero.

Without providing examples of what you're talking about, all I can do is assume the problem was with your team comp and communication. Are you suggesting there are "unbeatable" team comps?

Without providing examples of what you're talking about, all I can do is assume the problem was with your team comp and communication. Are you suggesting there are "unbeatable" team comps?

It's more that it just cheeses the game...if you play a "normal" team you can definitely get steamrolled by certain "mono" teams (Hanzo comes to mind, I think I have seen some McCree as well). Basically all that does is force your team to switch to a "mono" team of whatever hero counters the hero on the other side. To me that is really not that fun, but maybe some people like that shit? I dunno.

It's more that it just cheeses the game...if you play a "normal" team you can definitely get steamrolled by certain "mono" teams (Hanzo comes to mind, I think I have seen some McCree as well). Basically all that does is force your team to switch to a "mono" team of whatever hero counters the hero on the other side. To me that is really not that fun, but maybe some people like that shit? I dunno.

Ah I see what you're saying. I think there are legit comps that could stop just about any "mono" team, but you're right that *usually* another "mono" team would be a better counter. That being said I don't think that even in competitive they should restrict teams to just one of any given hero, there are times when multiple heroes are not only a good pick but the best pick. I think maybe for competitive they could limit it to just two of any given hero per team, but I think a "just one" limit is too much. Sometimes two of the same hero is a good pick, not just "cheese".

anyone looking for a teammate? I play pretty much nightly m-f from 7-whenever the wife makes me go to bed. I'm a pretty good reinhardt/76/mercy.

We played quite a bit this weekend, and I must say, the coordinated groups are starting to stand out quite a bit. For the first week the boys would play Reinhart and the turret guy and I would play Mercy and we would destroy stuff. Now its getting a little more even. We did face quite a few of those teams that had 3/4/5 of the same toon. On one particular match where we were defending a point, when we came up against those teams, we would double Mercy and just keep the point. Constantly "flying" to the other Mercy while we healed each other, we kept the point the entire match, like could not be killed. We just kept spot healing and rezzing as needed. We got called a lot names though, and apparently my mother has some explaining to do...

This game is a mixed experience for me. On one hand, I can see how it CAN be fun, but most of the time I just come out of it feeling pissed off. Fact of the matter is that matchmaking is literally trash for this. It does a god awful job of tracking individual skill level. And that's a big issue. Unlike LoL or even (to an extent) DoTA 2, where there are at least some champs which are easy to play simply due to the relatively 2 dimensional nature of the game.... Overwatch is a lot more skill based. Not only do you need FPS skills because everything is literally a 3D skillshot, but you also need to keep in mind individual character strengths and synergy and strategy. This makes it very frustrating because you can essentially be a pretty good FPS player, but feel that a match is utterly hopeless because the other team's synergy and teamwork is so much better than yours that it doesn't really matter what you do.

In my experiences with games like Wolfenstein ET and Dirty Bomb, it can be difficult to shut down one or two very legitimately good players even with good teamwork. On Overwatch, it's almost trivial. You can't win this game alone, and your skill level matters, but only to the extent that your team is willing to support it.

It's an annoying game to play. I have some fun with it, but I also wouldn't be lying if I said I felt like I wasted my money on it.

In my opinion what this needs to do is seriously start tracking how well a person did comparatively in his/her role. That is, if they're playing tank, how much did they disrupt, how much damage did they soak, etc. If they're a healer, how well did they heal and help their team win. If they're a DPS, how well did they kill. There are some fringe cases like Tracer where you have to track objective time and harassment a bit differently. Then they need to take that type of skill level and ask people what they're going to play before they queue up. It's just too obvious when someone plays a decent Mercy all of the time but can't play DPS for jack and then they just come into your game with a high skill rating but decide to pick a freaking DPS... which is a role they're simply not suited for.

Last edited:
Blizzard definately needs to do something to team people up according to skill and then rank people up as they grow or acheive.
I admit I suck, but there are games where I raise holy hell and everyone else sucks.

In some ways as a casual player this is great because I can be the hero in one game and hopefully learn from the best in others.

But this game was made for competition so it would be nice to see some logic to the team making.

Have to admit though: It's a blast playing with 6 friends using voice communication and obliterating :)

I have the most luck as 76

This game really frustrates me sometimes!

I have the most luck as 76

This game really frustrates me sometimes!

Standard FPS response for all games some of the time :) A good surprise lone wolf attack can decimate enough of the enemy team to let another team push in. Likewise a really good player can hold up the other team for a long time quite well.

What gets me are groups that refuse to be dynamic with their opponents. If what you are doing is not working change it up and try something weird to disrupt them. Provided the rest of your team is trying for the objective it can completely change a shut down into a great round even if you loose.

I would rather play with an average or something player who is trying and working towards the objective. Each role has a point but as long as they try and dont just roam of for pointless kills forgetting the objectives it's all good.

People running ahead and going lone wolf pisses me off immensely. They are almost never successful and it just hurts team synergy.

It makes sense to have a character like Widowmaker hang back on defense, but don't just run into the entire enemy team as Genji or some shit by yourself.

People running ahead and going lone wolf pisses me off immensely. They are almost never successful and it just hurts team synergy.

It makes sense to have a character like Widowmaker hang back on defense, but don't just run into the entire enemy team as Genji or some shit by yourself.

I do agree. I was not intending to say players who do their own thing the whole game are really helping. I meant more of the Tracer who blows past everything pulling defenders or attackers off their placement to go after her or wreaking havoc with her ult and jump abilities to keep the other team confused. I've snuck around the side as Widow, Reaper or Hanzo and picked off 2 or 3 players and with a few players less and attention turning to me my team could press the advantage.

Been slaughtered by similar deals many times as well. The other team feints a push so we focus on that while a Pharah fly's around and ults us from the side.

I like how there are options even though the maps are not really "open". But if something isn't working with short rounds waiting and hoping is more likely leading to the loss than changing it up and trying something odd or random.

A good tracer is nasty. I've seen them sneak in and destroy some enemies, zipping around; gave our team a huge advantage.

Last night, a group of 6 of us, just for fun all went Torb.. it was a bit ridiculous. They didn't make it more than about 10 feet outside of their spawn point, with the way we strategically placed turrets. They should definitely limit characters to 2 of each at most.

Back