Official Crysis 2 Thread

I want to buy this game so I can play multiplayer. When I tried the demo, most of the time I couldn't even log in, can anybody confirm this problem is not present on the final retail version?

I think very high and extreme preset enable edgeAA, which helps smoothing out trees edges and it is a bit faster than MLAA, if you ask me all three methods for crysis 1 were pointless,you ppl playing with 8x AA must not really know what you're doing, MSAA doesn't cover alpha textures as we all know, so foilage looks exactly the same, edgeAA blurs the picture hence all the bitching seen here and there, MLAA is even more gpu intensive and blurs the picture so much that it even f*cks up the fraps FPS counter.

I just finished crysis last night on delta with doomlords AI tweaks ( still the AI was pretty STUPID ) and CCC 2.21 set to LVL4 with everything SSAO/AO related disabled in the autoexec.cfg and i had a blast, infact i enjoyed the game much more when the aliens showed up even if it became more linear. Call me crazy i don't care :p Graphics wise i really liked what i saw, i had 8x AF forced through radeonpro and jaggies were minimal so i kept AA + edgeAA off and 90% of the whole game was slowdown free.

C2 single player looks fun and maybe challenging(judging by the videos that is), C1 was too easy even with AI tweaks, I mean the koreans were so stupid that if you were cloaked while holding a gun with a laser pointer they still could not see you :S

Thanks for posting these pictures - but honestly, I've just spent two hours playing this title, and the game looks miles better in action, imo.

That's interesting you feel that way, because I personally felt the MP demo looked far worse in motion than it did in static screenshots. Haven't tried the full game yet, I'll get it when its next on sale.

I'm getting super tired of seeing people trying to be the first ones to find something wrong with a game - and you just see it everywhere nowadays. It's just this constant flow of criticism.

Rarely does it seem that gamers are excited by what they're playing these days - almost like they WANT to hate stuff.

And honestly, it's kind of funny that you wrote this, because there are two people who post regularly at this forum... and I mean everyday... who haven't said anything positive about any game in literally months. I mean, it's impossible to tell if they even like gaming. I kid you not, they've bashed... every... single... game.

I agree totally. It seems like gamers these days (especially pc gamers) hate everything that comes out. I'm loving crysis 2 so far and it looks amazing on my 46" tv.

I'm getting super tired of seeing people trying to be the first ones to find something wrong with a game - and you just see it everywhere nowadays. It's just this constant flow of criticism.

Rarely does it seem that gamers are excited by what they're playing these days - almost like they WANT to hate stuff.

And honestly, it's kind of funny that you wrote this, because there are two people who post regularly at this forum... and I mean everyday... who haven't said anything positive about any game in literally months. I mean, it's impossible to tell if they even like gaming. I kid you not, they've bashed... every... single... game.

There are several reasons why the haters are hating on Crysis 2; however, only one is on the merits of the PC version itself.

1. One group of haters is horked at Crytek for even doing a console version in the first place - throw in no DX11 support at launch and that confirms (in their minds) that Crytek "sold out".

2. A second group is horked because Crytek didn't do another hardware-busting PC-eater of a game.

3. A third group simply is mad that there's no DX11 support at launch, so they can show off the higher-end hardware features.

Unlike a lot of the haters, I happen to *appreciate* a game that is playable on hardware that I have right now. Throw in that it looks better (on the same settings) than the original Crysis and is not as taxing on the hardware - WIN!

And here's one other major point to be made comparing it to the original - Crysis was *not* playable on x64 on day one - it required two patches to fix that. Crysis 2 is x64 ready at launch.

Finally, why the heck should Crytek repeat themselves and build another hardware-busting game? They don't have a thing to prove there - not to their customers, and not to EA. However, there is something that nobody has dared do in terms of PC-based shooter development - build a shooter that is playable on middle-of-the-road PC hardware available today. (How many shooters when launched were actually playable on the midrange PC hardware of their day? It wasn't the case with UT, it wasn't the case with Quake - it wasn't even the case with the original Doom or Duke 3D.) Instead, it's been *only high-end PC gamers appreciate a good shooter* thinking. That has never been true - however, not many developers throught that way.

Crysis 2 is a game-changer. It's a PC FPS for average Joes and Janes with average PC hardware.

And there is not a thing wrong with that.

I agree totally. It seems like gamers these days (especially pc gamers) hate everything that comes out. I'm loving crysis 2 so far and it looks amazing on my 46" tv.

no what we hate is regression.
far cry- great quasi sandbox game play, super awesome GFX

crysis- greater evolution of sandbox style game play, GFX through the roof

crysis 2 - 4 years later- weaker or on par GFX, gameplay dumb down, all the reviews mentioned this, except they used the words "streamline"

and this is coming from crytek, a company that made their money and alot of it pushing bounderies, so instead of getting the be all and all, that crytek usally get us, we get a better looking, quasi COD clone,

F*ck EA

crysisbannerv78e.gif

I lol'd :D

The only PC game that looks better than Crysis is Metro 2033. There may be one or two more when heavily modded.

Name me one other published in the past 2 years that looks better than 4 year old Crysis?

I don't even think Metro looks better. It's not hard to have a high detail level when you're rendering tunnels. Thinking of some other contenders...DIRT 2 and HAWX can be nice at times but are clearly inferior. Shogun 2 looks good. Oblivion can look amazing when heavily modded and beyond max settings. Just Cause 2 has a great overall look and pushes high frames but everything looks shitty up close. Personally I like a full-max and modded GTA IV as the runner up to Crysis. It's pushing massive environments while still keeping a lot of detail in the close range, particularly with the enhanced shadows from the latest patch.

Crysis is definitely the shit. Battlefield 3 might dethrone it, can't tell until I see the game on my monitor, but if it doesn't, Crysis may well enjoy another 2-3 years at the top. That would be staggering. Seriously though, fuck Xbox for putting PC gaming in this position.

The only PC game that looks better than Crysis is Metro 2033. There may be one or two more when heavily modded.

Name me one other published in the past 2 years that looks better than 4 year old Crysis?

Arma 2 looks better then crysis

I just think this is a lot of PC bias going on here, if I had a nickle for eveyone that posted whishing for the game to fail I'd quit working. A lot of people here just aren't going to be ojective about this game, that's more than obvious. Really other than texturing in places everything about Crysis 2 looks better and it's a TON smoother. There's nothing out right now that looks any better than this on the PC that I've played.

arma 2 and metro looks better

For whatever reason vsynch on this game didn't pickup 120Hz for me so when I turned it off I got an average of 50 FPS in 3D at 5760x1080 on Extreme. Smooth,beautiful and fun. The is just a technical update of the original, nothing new in the SP thus far but for the haters I don't know what to say. This game is beautiful, definately looks better than the original, performs well at it'a highest settings and looks great and performs well in 3D Surround. I've not seen ANYTHING that looks better on the PC, 2D or 3D and plays this well. Period.

This about sums up my experience so far as well. I haven't played a ton yet since I got on the puter late last night. I downloaded and installed from D2D put in my keys, one on the mycrysis site for the promo shit and away I went. Played about 30 minutes of sp on extreme it ran and looked fucking good. I mean good yes, I said good as in very good looking. Tri Sli is running even better than the demo did(which was good except for the flickering water which is now gone in the retail game for me). The scaling is working great using the profile nvidia released when the demo came out. A heads up for you sli/tri sli guys, there's a profile in there for the retail game as well as the demo.

As far as graphics go....hard to describe honestly. Definetly looks good no doubt about it. Now honestly I'm not sure if I look at this game and say to myself...wow this is light years ahead of C1/WH but it definetly looks good compared to those 2. Sometimes it looks better sometimes as good. One things for sure it feels fucking smooth and runs amazing, no bs there. Cryengine3 imo is a win and I would love to see other devs license this engine and run with it in other games. Overall I look at the game and I am very pleased with what I see. To me Crytek did well with this title overall. It's fun, looks good and runs amazing. So how can that be bad? Answer: It isn't.

The MP is actually more fun than the demo. I'm loving some of the maps honestly. Again the game runs beautifully and looks good while doing it. The best part is it's a blast to play imo. Yes yes it's alot like COD/halo etc. That's not a bad thing since I and alot of you guys here have logged a shit ton of hours into the COD series over the years so there's an addictive quality to the series and one I find here as well. I'm enjoying it.

The game for me is clearly worth the money spent and I do NOT regret the purchase one bit. In fact for the 48 bucks I paid on D2D I would dare say it's a good buy.

A word of caution...If some of you are looking for a game to run your high end machine into the ground at 20 fps to give the illusion of maxing out a game, graphically speaking, I suggest you move along. This game is not for you. if your looking for the next graphical benchmark this is not for you. If you are, however, looking for a good crysis game that looks better than just about anything else out and runs very well and is dam fun while doing it. This is your game, period.

It at least tried to be innovative, cant exactly say the same thing for Call of Crysis 2 MP. :rolleyes:
Sure it tried, and it failed miserably. And I'm not quite sure how you can call it innovative. It was basically BF2 with better graphics and suit abilities, but none of the polish. It was buggy and laggy and un-fun.

For Crysis 2, Crytek took a hard look at what makes the multiplayer in console shooters work, and used some of those ideas to make their multiplayer extremely fun. Just look at the reviews from reputable sites and from users in this thread. (Un-reputable sites include any which call the AI some kind of monumental achievement - ha!)

But hey, don't let me stand in the way of the hate parade. Crytek can't do anything right. If it had been set in a jungle, it would have been too similar to Crysis and Far Cry. If it had better graphics, it would be unoptimized because nobody could run it. And now, because they've taken steps to make the game more fun and accessible, PC gamers are going nuts because they apparently like their gameplay rough around the edges. So please, anti-fun police, carry on.

Last edited:
Sure it tried, and it failed miserably. And I'm not quite sure how you can call it innovative. It was basically BF2 with better graphics and suit abilities, but none of the polish. It was buggy and laggy and un-fun.

For Crysis 2, Crytek took a hard look at what makes the multiplayer in console shooters work, and used some of those ideas to make their multiplayer extremely fun.

But hey, don't let me stand in the way of the hate parade. Crytek can't do anything right. If it had been set in a jungle, it would have been too similar to Crysis and Far Cry. If it had better graphics, it would be unoptimized because nobody could run it. And now, because they've taken steps to make the game more fun and accessible, PC gamers are going nuts because they apparently like their gameplay rough around the edges. So please, anti-fun police, carry on.

Heh, dude I can't tell you how much I agree with this. You took the words out of my mouth. Some of the people here will never ever be satisfied. Crytek could have cured cancer and it wouldn't have been good enough, so whatever.

Disappointed is all I really have to say. I think it is an above average above / average console game and an average / below average PC game. If I hadn't played Crysis (Like Console Gamers) I'd probably rate it higher. I think they should have started a new IP and left Crysis for PCs or create a separate offshoot like the old FarCry games for Xbox. As it is I think it is an enjoyable game as long as I don't think of it as Crysis 2 and hope they release Sanbox3 and the SDK soon so the community can create the proper sequel Crysis deserves. All the talk of how Cryengine 3 can take a game design and optimize it for each platform sounded great if they designed it for the PC as the primary and took things away for consoles, but it seems they designed it for Xbox360 and al the PC got out of it was higher res textures, smaller levels and missing features.

Well, I don't mind the game, but it's nothing amazing. It's a good looking game, but probably not as good as the first. 3D looks really good, although there are halos any time you're in a dark area.
If they weren't going to allow us to configure the game in-game, having a launcher or some sort of config program would've been nice.

Anyone else having any spazzy mouse issues? In smaller areas it's smooth as silk, but in large open areas my mouselook stutters a bit.

Heh, dude I can't tell you how much I agree with this. You took the words out of my mouth. Some of the people here will never ever be satisfied. Crytek could have cured cancer and it wouldn't have been good enough, so whatever.

Regarding the attitude of certain people, I can't agree more. I'm just dumbfounded at how ridiculous this trend has become, and this is not just with Crytek's productions. I can understand certain qualms that are within reason and comprehensible, I can also understand that some just don't like a given game which is perfectly normal but others just really want to hate and act like a bunch of spoiled brats to whom everything is a due. Paris Hilton is joke compared to some people... This is not being an enthusiast, it's not the [H]ardcore attitude - it's called being a whiny pussy.

You may now hate me.

The game defaults to a vertical FOV of 55. Same as BC2. The correct one for 16:10 monitors should be 65. Type cl_fov 65 in the console.

Crysis 2, considering that it looks and plays the same or worse than Crysis, is basically another standalone expansion similar to Warhead.

Considering everything Warhead had many features at a $30 price point (DX10, large mp maps with 32 players, graphics options) that Crysis 2 doesn't, it makes this "game" seem worth it when it gets to $20.

How do you release a new generation of an engine that looks identical or worse than the previous generation? Imagine if Cryengine 2 looked the same as Cryengine 1. That is what has happened here, and it is easy to see why people are so upset.

For Crysis 2, Crytek took a hard look at what makes the multiplayer in console shooters work, and used some of those ideas to make their multiplayer extremely fun. Just look at the reviews from reputable sites and from users in this thread. (Un-reputable sites include any which call the AI some kind of monumental achievement - ha!)

ROFL @ your spin on 6 v 6 multiplayer with no dedis. Those things "work" on consoles because the 12 year olds playing the games don't know any better.

How do you release a new generation of an engine that looks identical or worse than the previous generation? Imagine if Cryengine 2 looked the same as Cryengine 1. That is what has happened here, and it is easy to see why people are so upset.
Consoles.

I agree the original Crysis MP wasn't fun, but it did have potential, it just wasn't well implemented. Crysis Wars with some unlockables, achievements, smoother graphics and less bugs would have been a pretty good MP IMO. With Crysis Wars and Crysis 1 one of the biggest enemies to having a good MP was the graphics, pushing hardware to the limit just isn't good for having a good MP experience. You want something polished that looks "good enough" and runs at 30-60fps on your average gamer PC.

I think Crysis 2 MP (based on the demo) went too far the other way... the game needed polish and it needed achievements/unlocks to keep people motivated, but it didn't need to turn into CODMW2 with a nanosuit. I still think 6v6 is a terrible idea.

ROFL @ your spin on 6 v 6 multiplayer with no dedis. Those things "work" on consoles because the 12 year olds playing the games don't know any better.

Sssshhhhh, let him live in ignorant bliss whilst there are still people playing MP for the next 4 weeks ;)

Another game that I'll be picking up years later when it hits the bargain bin.

Hopefully by then, there are some mods to make it look better... if anyone cares to mod it at all :p

Crysis 2 is great for what it is. No wait, it's fucking fantastic for what it is. What were you expecting, seriously?

Fuck the haters... and this kind of poorly-reasoned, barely literate verbal diarrhoea is what I'd expect from a 13-year old Youtube commenter, not a HardOCP front page post.

Must try harder Kyle.

Another game that I'll be picking up years later when it hits the bargain bin.

Hopefully by then, there are some mods to make it look better... if anyone cares to mod it at all :p

No sandbox editor at release either so it will be a while if ever before custom maps come around. One rumor is that it will come this summer, but there's also rumors that it won't be a mod friendly sandbox editor but instead only the SDK. Considering that all the rumors so far have been true, that doesn't sound good.

Front page post linking to this thread, my reaction: :eek: Holy cow!
Sounds like I will want to wait for this game to appear in the $5 sale....or never. Most likely never.

Stop spending your money on games and play a FREE game that is not only fun, but will continue to be free and supported for years to come.

Crysis 2 is great for what it is. No wait, it's fucking fantastic for what it is. What were you expecting, seriously?

Fuck the haters... and this kind of poorly-reasoned, barely literate verbal diarrhoea is what I'd expect from a 13-year old Youtube commenter, not a HardOCP front page post.

Must try harder Kyle.
Kyle and everyone else have the rights to their own opinion. Just because you think its good doesn't mean it must good for everyone.

Kyle also mentioned that his 10 year old kid likes it, and he's not about to strangle him for having a different opinion. :)

No sandbox editor at release either so it will be a while if ever before custom maps come around. One rumor is that it will come this summer, but there's also rumors that it won't be a mod friendly sandbox editor but instead only the SDK. Considering that all the rumors so far have been true, that doesn't sound good.
That would suck :(

There are several reasons why the haters are hating on Crysis 2; however, only one is on the merits of the PC version itself.

1. One group of haters is horked at Crytek for even doing a console version in the first place - throw in no DX11 support at launch and that confirms (in their minds) that Crytek "sold out".

2. A second group is horked because Crytek didn't do another hardware-busting PC-eater of a game.

3. A third group simply is mad that there's no DX11 support at launch, so they can show off the higher-end hardware features.

Unlike a lot of the haters, I happen to *appreciate* a game that is playable on hardware that I have right now. Throw in that it looks better (on the same settings) than the original Crysis and is not as taxing on the hardware - WIN!

And here's one other major point to be made comparing it to the original - Crysis was *not* playable on x64 on day one - it required two patches to fix that. Crysis 2 is x64 ready at launch.

Finally, why the heck should Crytek repeat themselves and build another hardware-busting game? They don't have a thing to prove there - not to their customers, and not to EA. However, there is something that nobody has dared do in terms of PC-based shooter development - build a shooter that is playable on middle-of-the-road PC hardware available today. (How many shooters when launched were actually playable on the midrange PC hardware of their day? It wasn't the case with UT, it wasn't the case with Quake - it wasn't even the case with the original Doom or Duke 3D.) Instead, it's been *only high-end PC gamers appreciate a good shooter* thinking. That has never been true - however, not many developers throught that way.

Crysis 2 is a game-changer. It's a PC FPS for average Joes and Janes with average PC hardware.

And there is not a thing wrong with that.

A couple of quirks about your "rant".

-First, when Crysis was originally released x64 wasn't as widely used as it is today, so it's to be expected they would patch to support it (and that Crysis 2 would use it).
-Second, all three of those groups are exactly why people are "hating" very few could be broken up to just one group. We were promised DX11 at launch and it's not there, promised it would SCALE (Ie: if you have a hardcore monster PC it will look even better) and it doesn't, promised the game wouldn't change and it did.
-Third, what you call "hating" is more of PC gamers expecting what they were told and bringing it up. We were told this would all be stuff we could expect and they FAILED to deliver. You can't expect people to just accept that we got a shitty console port. If you don't think it's a console port grab the 360 or PS3 version and see for yourself, they look EXACTLY the same.
-Finally, why you ask? That's the name they made for themselves. Why the heck would Ferrari keep making supercars? They don't have a thing to prove. They are well known for making expensive amazing exotic supercars, not selling out for money (yes a Ferrari is expensive but they could make BOATLOADS more if they made a consumer car just based off their name). When your first game is amazing and a game-changer you expect the second to push the boundaries even more not numb it down for the "average joe" as you call it.

All of these things we were promised, they lied about them flat out. If I had known that it was going to be like this I would NOT have spent my hard earned money on this game right out of the gate, I would have waited until it was on sale and picked it up. Issues with the MP not saving the CD keys, not giving bonus content is just silly. I want to play SP offline, oh wait you mean I can't? Glad I paid $60 for a game I can't play unless I'm not connected to the internet (yes I know it's very rare to not be connected to the internet but if there is a storm or my internet goes out I can't play wtf is that crap). Now all the rants aside it's not a BAD game, I felt the first was much much better plot-wise but this one got me into the multiplayer more (I never honestly played the MP of Crysis). I would recommend it to other people but I would tell them to avoid paying full price for it.. 30 or less and it's worth it.

A sequel to crysis/warhead rather than a futuristic sequel to COD maybe?

I have still ordered a copy (at half price) but I am presently expecting to be thoroughly underwhelmed and disappointed given that I loved the first two for all the features that have been "streamlined" in this sequel.

Back