Official Crysis 2 Thread

Drawmonster

2[H]4U
Officially drops today. Pirates have it now. So how is it? I'll have my thoughts afternoonish CST.

Epeen? Who cares?

I'll download it later on today, no hurry. Pre ordered mine from D2D as well.

Steam implied that it would be up around 11AM EST based on the store. Kinda lame that there was no pre-load option.

A German review stated that only 3 graphics modes are accessible. Probably more can be done with configuration files, but still... worst fears realized.

waiting for reviews before buying.:eek:

I think it will suffer from consolitis very badly.

waiting for reviews before buying.:eek:

I think it will suffer from consolitis very badly.

It will undoubtedly suffer from some consolitis, that's a given. Badly? I don't think too badly. Wanna see a piece of shit game with consolitis? Go buy homefront lol. That's a cheesey pile of shit loaded with consolitis, which is why I didn't buy it. I predict homefront will be 20 bucks on steam in less than 60 days.

A German review stated that only 3 graphics modes are accessible. Probably more can be done with configuration files, but still... worst fears realized.

It depends on what three modes are available. If there's a mode that's high enough that allows the game too look far superior on PC next to console, then I wouldn't say it's "worst fears realized" just quite yet.

Even if the three modes are "low, medium, high" type, without a "very high/enthusiast" option, it might still look great.

Did the review directly state how quality the visuals are in general?

Of course, even if the visuals were "photo-realistic", it wouldn't make a difference if the gameplay wasn't really quality and/or long enough.

What did the review say about the gameplay itself?

I've been on-the-fence with Crysis 2 for quite a while. I'm waiting for some reviews as well.

Here is something I found... These are some Pc publications, so maybe it isn't as bad as everyone thinks...

"The Official Xbox Magazine's 9/10 verdict is already in the wild, alongside the Official PlayStation Magazine's 8/10 critique.

Now, commenting ahead of CVG's Crysis 2 review - which will be published this afternoon - a few other write-ups have hit the net.

US site State Press gives the game 5/5. The site largely agrees with Cevat Yerli's boast that the FPS has the best AI in gaming history, going so far as to call it a "revolutionary masterpiece".

It reports: "New York City is an urban jungle made for the cybernetic war suit and provides a variety of explosive toys and destructible cover necessary to turn the tide against perhaps the most impressive artificial intelligence in video game history."

German site Gamesaktuell (via Cynamite.de) offers another 9/10, praising the "exciting story" and "good atmosphere". Fellow German publication PC Action gave the game the same score last week.

Elsewhere, PCGames.de goes with a 90 percent score. It reports that the title has "first-class, advanced graphics" and a "cooler Nanosuit that offers a "variety of approaches". Yet another 9/10 score is offered by GameReactor Sweden.

Crysis 2 is released for 360, PS3 and PC today in the US and on Friday in Europe."

Here is something I found... These are some Pc publications, so maybe it isn't as bad as everyone thinks...

"The Official Xbox Magazine's 9/10 verdict is already in the wild, alongside the Official PlayStation Magazine's 8/10 critique.

Now, commenting ahead of CVG's Crysis 2 review - which will be published this afternoon - a few other write-ups have hit the net.

US site State Press gives the game 5/5. The site largely agrees with Cevat Yerli's boast that the FPS has the best AI in gaming history, going so far as to call it a "revolutionary masterpiece".

It reports: "New York City is an urban jungle made for the cybernetic war suit and provides a variety of explosive toys and destructible cover necessary to turn the tide against perhaps the most impressive artificial intelligence in video game history."

German site Gamesaktuell (via Cynamite.de) offers another 9/10, praising the "exciting story" and "good atmosphere". Fellow German publication PC Action gave the game the same score last week.

Elsewhere, PCGames.de goes with a 90 percent score. It reports that the title has "first-class, advanced graphics" and a "cooler Nanosuit that offers a "variety of approaches". Yet another 9/10 score is offered by GameReactor Sweden.

Crysis 2 is released for 360, PS3 and PC today in the US and on Friday in Europe."

These are all paid sites man. What's wrong with you? Don't post anything positive here...god. /facepalm ;)

I just hope the console will work and that u can remove motion blur and tweak the graphic settings cause hey will be exactly as in the mp demo only changed names,, good, very good and extreme i think.

It would be appreciated if someone would post when the Steam version is up for download.
I figure I'll go home on my lunch break and start the process so it'll (hopefully) be done by the end of my workday.

I just hope the console will work and that u can remove motion blur and tweak the graphic settings cause hey will be exactly as in the mp demo only changed names,, good, very good and extreme i think.

You definitely can in the demo, you just have to edit the ini files. While that's pretty lame...I'd have to think Crytek will let you do that with the full version or at the very least someone else will make a front-end that lets you do it. There were a few community front ends for the demo, so it's pretty easy to do. Hell, they might work with the final, too.

I love how everyone comes in here already complaining about the game without playing it.

I'm not sure about anyone else but I played the MP demo and had a BLAST playing it and it looked awesome too. Jumping automagically switches me to Strength so I jump higher? Awesome.

Honestly I wish I would have saved the money and bought the retail copy, I could be playing it already. Having it on Steam is a bonus though as I'll never have to lose discs or insert a disc to play.

The steam version was 60 bucks while D2D where a few of us here ordered from had it for 48 bucks. They still might, no idea honestly.

Nice review, I am more looking to play the single player then the MP.

Wow, what's up with this (locked-out from PC disc install)?

What type of invasive DRM scheme are they using that detects the time and date of the install from a disc and blocks out even the single player?

I don't know if this has been the case with any other games in recent times, but not with anything I've played in recently, and I find that totally unacceptable. Is something like that really friggin' necessary?

It's not as if they're actually "protecting" themselves from anything by taking such action, and I find it totally absurd. Any game I've played in recent times, like Mass Effect 2, Borderlands etc., had a midnight release, and I was playing a half-hour later.

Digital distribution always has a release time, I understand, but to completely block-out anyone from playing even the single player when installed from disc?

Crytek has really been spitting in the face of the PC gaming community. I personally cant support a company who utilizes such methods, and I cant imagine I'm the only one. I'm getting more than sick of this online activation/overly-invasive DRM garbage.

Has anyone played both the leaked version and the retail version? Are the graphics better on the retail?

What type of invasive DRM scheme are they using that detects the time and date of the install from a disc and blocks out even the single player?

I don't know if this has been the case with any other games in recent times, but not with anything I've played in recently, and I find that totally unacceptable. Is something like that really friggin' necessary?

It's not as if they're actually "protecting" themselves from anything by taking such action, and I find it totally absurd. Any game I've played in recent times, like Mass Effect 2, Borderlands etc., had a midnight release, and I was playing a half-hour later.

Digital distribution always has a release time, I understand, but to completely block-out anyone from playing even the single player when installed from disc?

Crytek has really been spitting in the face of the PC gaming community. I personally cant support a company who utilizes such methods, and I cant imagine I'm the only one. I'm getting more than sick of this online activation/overly-invasive DRM garbage.

I agree with you 100%. They are hurting their paying customers alot more than the would be pirates which is always the case with drm. The problem as I see it here is sort of like what happens after your house just got broken into. You might have gotten by with just regular door locks and what not and never given a second thought to how vulenerable you really are UNTIL you come home to a wrecked house with things gone etc etc....Crytek after the first 2 crysis games sort of reminds me of this. They got ass raped by pirates (in their mind at least) which is debateable but it's their view none the less and as such they are now in that mode where they have the house alarmed to the teeth. Massive overkill at the eexpense of anyone living in the home. They are paranoid and pissed. Two things that will really only hurt yourself in the end. You don't make rationale decisions when your pissed emotional, same goes for this situation. I'm exaggerating of course and they aren't necessarily emotional in that way since this is a business and not their home but I think you guys understand what I mean.

I don't like it nor do I condone it, hell no. I do understand it though.

That's hilarious, midnight launch and then get it home and you can't play it until the morning. Crytek have really screwed the pooch on this game as far as many PC gamers are concerned, this is just another fuck up for them, add it to the list.

I can understand having time checks to stop leaked copies of the game... but that clearly didn't work anyway, lol.

So are there graphic setting options? In the menu? Is there DX11 support?

Why are there no big name reviews out?

Well, for what it's "worth", here's IGN's review.

At least one excerpt in that review screams consolization.
"So, where does Crysis 2 stumble? It has a checkpoint system that ranges from passable to unforgiving, as if it was designed to supplement the habitual PC quick-saving of the first game."
You'd think they would have learned from Farcry 2.:(

That reads like a solidly written review to me.

It's not that it's not written well, it's the validity of it that comes into question for me.

I've heard some people from the actual beat state that the combat was "more frustrating than fast-paced", among some other things that go completely against what's written in the review.

Don't know... have to see what some others here on [H] have to say.

Well, for what it's "worth", here's IGN's review.

That's the 360 review. As for the PC review, I suggest everyone read this.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1156893p1.html

So why isn't there a PC review up yet?
Well, because as of 6:00 PM PST on March 21st (the day before release), we haven't had access to a full, reviewable build of the game. It's IGN's policy to play through reviewable code of each version of a game before a review can go live on the site. Though Crysis 2 is content identical on Xbox 360, PS3, and the PC, we can't just assume they'll play the same. I spent time with a demonstration build courtesy of Nvidia at the Crysis 2 review event in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, but this wasn't confirmed for me as a reviewable version of the game, and there were some various technical issues, including hard crashes.

Draw your own conclusions why IGN doesn't have a full PC version the night before release, and how credible that makes all the other PC reviews so far.

I get god awful flickering with crossfire enabled. I have installed the latest CAP4 profile and nothing has changed. This sucks :(

11.4 Preview
11.2 CAP4

Crysis 2 does allow you to change as many visual settings as Crysis.
While the PC demo had an encrypted configuration file, which limited the fine-tuning that PC players enjoyed with the original Crysis, the retail release of Crysis 2 is open and editable. While the in-game options are still simplified (with graphics options that now read "high," "very high," and "extreme"), there are thousands of console commands in Crysis 2 to play with, which you can find with a pretty simple Google search.

^ this is nice to hear. also here's joystiq's review.

Back