Official BenQ FP241VW (not FP241W) Thread. Reviews and Pics

Read somewhere on this forum that BenQ's policy is really good, almost no questions asked.

Amazon is another place that has a good return policy, but make sure that you are buying it directly from them.

I'm only seeing the $500 price from BenQ's store though.

I wish I had ordered this on July 4th weekend because $45 for shipping.....hurts. Make sure you use the 10% coupon code if you do pre-order it from BenQ.

I'm still looking for the ones where I removed the stand, but here is one with my arm on it.

Apologize for the messy desk. I've got parts everywhere! :)

First Pic is the backside of the monitor with the arm. The grey cable is HDMI from PS3, the beige is DVi from PC, and the black is power. I am going to route them through the clips to make nice nice:

2742608942_964dd96bb2_b.jpg

This is the side view where you can see the buttons hanging out like a remote control. Like my labelling job? Me too! This is my only dislike of this setup aesthetically, but the 4850 makes it look red hot. I'm looking to see if I can get some nice black plastic switchbox at an electronics store to cover it and make nice nice too: :)

2741771199_6b313fb7d7_b.jpg

Here's the side view from further back. The other little module is the USB ports. The holes you see in the bezel are where the stand attaches into the unit.

2741770815_99c8e61976_b.jpg

So here is a quick and dirty description of removing the stand. I'll try and get that photologged soon.

Grab a beach/drying towel and fold it so that you can place the monitor face down on it, or make sure you are working on a soft surface like a carpet just in case you LOSE grip.

1) Find the little "slits" at the bottom of the bezel near the lower left and right corners. It's best to put the monitor on the carpet upside down to do this, so the bottom of the stand is facing you and pointed up.

2) Grab a small screwdriver and cover it with a paper towel or cloth to minimize damage. Put it into the slit and use it as a lever to pry it open. You shouldn't have to insert it more than a half inch or so. The case is a clamshell and there are no screws holding it together. Hold open the side and gently pry it open, working towards the middle. You should hear a couple of "SNAP" and the bottom will come apart. If not keep working towards the opposite side, gently prying open with your fingers. Much pressure is not required.

3) As the bottom should now be open you should be able to snap it open by prying apart going up one side of the bezel. Work your way all the way around the case until the back bezel comes off completely. The assembly is screwed into the front bezel.

4) Before we remove the stand, on the left side, where the buttons are, the actual silver face plates come off. There is another slit near the top of the stand which allows you to pull off the front silver face plate.

5) Once this is off, you will notice screws holding the buttons and USB ports to the front faceplate. These need to be removed so the buttons and USB ports come off the front face plate, but since they are routed through the back part of the stand, we need to remove four screws connecting the metal weight to the back part of the stand now. The USB ports have a mu metal casing around them that you should just replace back onto the stand leg along with the screws. I'd also recommend putting the screws back on to the faceplate so you don't lose them.

6) In the following overexposed photo, you can see three BLACK screws holding the metal weight into the stand leg. One near the top, and two near the bottom of said weight. Undo them all. I had already removed the stand.

Photo:

2741815411_324a0992f2_o.jpg

7) Remove the cables holding the buttons and USB ports from behind this weight. Do it gently so that you don't damage the cables.

8) Now with this done we can remove the stand from the bezel. Lay the monitor face down on the carpet or towel and you will see four screws at the tilting mechanism plate on each side that connects INTO the monitor bezel. These are the screws that need to come off to disconnect the tilting mechanism off the innards. HOLD the monitor while doing this so it doesn't drop (even on the carpet or towel) as you remove them from each side.

9) Carefully remove the stand and replace all four screws on each side tightly so they don't get lost.

10) BEFORE we line up and snap the back bezel on we need to remove the BENQ round logo plate from the back becasue it covers the 100mmx100mm VESA mounting screws. This is best done from the inside by rotating it via putting pressure on the "tongue in groove clips" until it turns and falls off.

11) Now that we have the stand disconnected, and the BENQ logo plate off the back, we can put the back bezel back by lining it up to the front, and squeezing together at the clip locations. SNAP SNAP SNAP and it should be done.

Now you can mount the arm on the back.

I make no claims to the validity of the information. There is no warranty stickers that break here to void the warranty, I just ask you to exercise extreme caution to not drop or let the monitor keel over when it has no stand. This almost happened to me and it was terrifying.

Remember this is a $500.00 monitor and it's definitely worth the cash, so don't damage it :)

Good luck and best regards. Hope that helps.

10e how are those pics coming :D

Sorry to be so annoying :p

They are pre-drilled. Any monitor that mentions a VESA mount will have them. Some already have a stand screwed into them, but the FP241VW does not, cause the stand is different.

Awesome pictures! Did you drill those holes in the back or were they pre-drilled?

Called them up just now and asked about their return policy.

The guy on the phone really did not seem to know what he was talking about, I think the number routes you to a central call location where people answer calls for a whole lot of different vendors as he had to go look up the return policy info and sounded hesitant when he said "Ben <long pause> Q".

Maybe I will email them instead.

whats the final verdict on this monitor?

is there any other 8 bit 24'' better for gaming???

plzkthx.

Anyone received a back-ordered email from BenQ? I received mine yesterday the 13th saying the order placed on the 6th was back-ordered.

I received a back-ordered email 1 day after purchase and called BenQ and they told me that that was normal for a pre-order. However receiving another back-ordered email 2 days before release makes me think that it's actually back-ordered. Man lots of run-ons in this paragraph lol.

Anyone received a back-ordered email from BenQ? I received mine yesterday the 13th saying the order placed on the 6th was back-ordered.

I received a back-ordered email 1 day after purchase and called BenQ and they told me that that was normal for a pre-order. However receiving another back-ordered email 2 days before release makes me think that it's actually back-ordered. Man lots of run-ons in this paragraph lol.

Same thing for me, but ordered on the 12th, email on the 13.

I am hoping it is an automated thing, something with the timing of ordering a monitor before it was released and the system picking that up.

Or maybe everything is considered a back order since it doesnt come out yet.

Just waiting to see what happens in the next couple of days.

i know some of you have seen and answered my posts before. i would have posted in this thread before but couldn't find it via the search. Ive really narrowed down my options.

I'm look to get a new LCD for gaming, browsing the web, etc. i DO like the stand. its one of the things that drew my attention to it. could someone answer couple of my quick questions so i don't have to sort threw all this.

1. Is BenQ reliable, good quality... ?

2. Does BenQ have a good return policy ? easy to actually talk to , etc.

3. Is this monitor any good. Ive read some good and bad comments. is there a better 24 inch out for PC gaming ? I'm trying to find one good quality built, contrast ratios, inputs, etc.

4. Ive also looked at the v2400w. looks nice but how do these two stack up against each other. seems it would be better for some of you because you don't like the base on the FP241VW.

5. where is the best place to purchase this from ?

here is what im looking at now. i think these have the best options to suit my needs. not looking at 30 inch anymore. they seem to have too many problems, performance issues.
*BenQ FP241VW
*BenQ the v2400w
*Dell 2709.

I'm gonna wait for the 15th before I freak out.

I also got 2 e-mails saying the product was on backorder. 1 on the day of purchase. 1 on the 13th.

1-952-908-4101 Has anybody called about the second e-mail?

i know some of you have seen and answered my posts before. i would have posted in this thread before but couldn't find it via the search. Ive really narrowed down my options.

I'm look to get a new LCD for gaming, browsing the web, etc. i DO like the stand. its one of the things that drew my attention to it. could someone answer couple of my quick questions so i don't have to sort threw all this.

1. Is BenQ reliable, good quality... ?

2. Does BenQ have a good return policy ? easy to actually talk to , etc.

3. Is this monitor any good. Ive read some good and bad comments. is there a better 24 inch out for PC gaming ? I'm trying to find one good quality built, contrast ratios, inputs, etc.

4. Ive also looked at the v2400w. looks nice but how do these two stack up against each other. seems it would be better for some of you because you don't like the base on the FP241VW.

5. where is the best place to purchase this from ?

here is what im looking at now. i think these have the best options to suit my needs. not looking at 30 inch anymore. they seem to have too many problems, performance issues.
*BenQ FP241VW
*BenQ the v2400w
*Dell 2709.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1334504

I kinda asked the same questions here and 10e gave me a run down.
In my opinion, if they put this thing on a regular stand they coudn't make enough. I like the stand and think it is beautiful and different. Now, I don't have mine yet, just based on what I've read and some of the knowledgeable people I've discovered run this monitor.

I think BenQ store is as good as any place else to buy it. I think they even have a trade in program. Other people have said that they are good and little to no questions asked on returns. Now, I have e-mailed asking questions about this monitor and no one has ever responded but I get that from other companies as well who turned out to be OK.

thanks for the link and info. i like the base too. its different and "cool" looking i think.
i read all the comments and honestly im still left with the same questions.

is the v2400w better ? is BenQ reliable monitors or not ? how is the build quality on it and the stand...does it look cheap ? how does things look in the monitor..in other words will it look as good or better than it did on my samsung 305t at 2560x1600 res ?

Build quality seems quite good. While it may not have height adjustment, the stand is definitely not flimsy, and the monitor is well built. Unlike competitors the stand is an anchor and does not shake or wobble.

The FP241VW is a good PC monitor, a good PS3/Xbox 360 over HDMI monitor, good with component and good to very good with VGA. It is one of the few monitors out there that will do 1920x1080 properly with VGA.

The V2400W is a bit better with PS3, and has good color calibration, but it is a TN with more obvious faults than an MVA monitor like the FP241VW.

On a pure visual basis, I give the FP241VW a slight edge. The V2400W is a good TN monitor, with a nice sharp picture, but it is not as polished as the FP241VW.

Most BenQ monitors seem reliable these days. The older FP241W (big brother to the VW) had some blackout problems in its early production runs, but those seem to be very rare on the VW now.

could someone please answer my ?....anyone..

Today's the day! Haven't received a shipment confirmation yet but I think I will soon. On the status page it shows no backorders.

Someone should give 10e a medal for giving the same advice 8x+ times a week. Or a job from BenQ ;)

Today's the day! Haven't received a shipment confirmation yet but I think I will soon. On the status page it shows no backorders.

Someone should give 10e a medal for giving the same advice 8x+ times a week. Or a job from BenQ ;)

i 2nd that. ive seen 10e's comments numerious times now. had to search at first and i really appreciate the info 10e typed again for me. it can be really hard to find a solid answer on here. there is a truck load of pages and posts on some of these threads. its wayyyyy to many to go threw.

I have received an email that claims that my preorder for the FP241VW (which I made on July 29th) got backordered. However, the customer service rep couldn't even tell me if they sent this email as a routine notice to those who have been on preorder for a while or if they sent it to let me know that my order actually got backordered. And then they couldn't tell me if they had enough stock coming in to fill my order. AND there has been no change in my order status. Doesn't say whether my order is backordered or shipped or anything.

Really REALLY annoying because I need to know when to buy my graphics card. Does anyone know if BenQ has a history of backorders or do they usually fulfill all their preorders unlike BB?

Kinda thought I'd hear something by lunchtime.

Still running the ad to pre-order and ship on the 15th. :confused: This kind of stuff always worries me. Means no one is paying attention.

My account shows nothing shipped, nothing backordered.

Same. However my credit card got charged. I'll be extremely pissed if they charged it without shipping because that's just bad business.

I ordered the V2400W 4 days ago. No updates on the status. I've called twice, and they said it was backordered. The website says "in stock"... :rolleyes:

I just got a call from BenQ saying my monitor will be shipped and I should be receiving it soon. I ordered mine on 8/11.

Me too. Glad they actually put the effort into it. Ordered mine on 7/29 and apparently it will ship out by 8/19 if not earlier.

They gave me the impression that their shipment arrived yesterday and the monitor was shipping later today but I wouldn't get the tracking number until monday or tuesday. Now, the person I spoke with did not speak english as a first language so..........could have been some misunderstanding there. No matter. I'm really not supposed to have it till my birthday anyway and as long as it's here before Clear Sky, I'll be happy. Well, that AND the low input lag/minimal ghosting that 10e told me about. :cool:

i got the call as well. They said they received their shipment and will ship it out today (friday) or monday at the latest. +1 for benQ for actually taking the time to call.

I finally decided to order me one of these monitors after reading through this thread. I've got a few questions and would greatly appreciate it if you guys could help me out.

-Any more updates from people who ordered this from the BenQ store? I ordered mine on 8/15 and no update... I also just checked their website and its still showing in stock.

-I just noticed that the refurb got dropped in price another $50. It's down to $399. With returning customer 10% off it brings it down to $360. Making me rethink my purchase of the new model at $450. Has anyone had experience with BenQ refurbs? If they still let me, I'm considering canceling my order and reordering a refurb...Think its worth it to save about $90?

-Anyone mind sharing their calibration settings? I looked through this whole thread and it doesn't seem like there's as much discussion about this as other monitor threads..

-Speaking of there not being as much discussion about this monitor as other threads why is this the case? It seems like this is a great lower priced monitor that's non-tn yet seems to get no attention. Is this since it got discontinued pretty quickly?

Thanks ahead of time!

Much of what is in the 200+ BenQ FP241W applies to this model, except seemingly the talk of blackouts and pixel mapping issues.

I am not a huge fan of refurbs. The shorter warranty doesn't always justify the cost differential/savings, but I haven't heard anything horrible about their refurbs (for sale). Generally you will always hear the bad so that's a good sign.

I calibrated mine. I can share those settings with you and even the profile which (IMHO) helps a lot in general windows use. I only do this if someone asks because profiles are not useful for everyone...

I finally decided to order me one of these monitors after reading through this thread. I've got a few questions and would greatly appreciate it if you guys could help me out.

-Any more updates from people who ordered this from the BenQ store? I ordered mine on 8/15 and no update... I also just checked their website and its still showing in stock.

-I just noticed that the refurb got dropped in price another $50. It's down to $399. With returning customer 10% off it brings it down to $360. Making me rethink my purchase of the new model at $450. Has anyone had experience with BenQ refurbs? If they still let me, I'm considering canceling my order and reordering a refurb...Think its worth it to save about $90?

-Anyone mind sharing their calibration settings? I looked through this whole thread and it doesn't seem like there's as much discussion about this as other monitor threads..

-Speaking of there not being as much discussion about this monitor as other threads why is this the case? It seems like this is a great lower priced monitor that's non-tn yet seems to get no attention. Is this since it got discontinued pretty quickly?

Thanks ahead of time!

The 'pending charge' on my bank account for BenQ just dropped... What does that mean?

Just checked my order history at the BenQ store and it shows shipped with a tracking number.

I did not recieve an e-mail alerting me to this fact. Maybe they'll send one later.

Shows that it shipped on monday and is to be here thursday the 21st. :D

Just got my tracking number in email form.

Scheduled delivery is for this Friday, signature required.

The days of me using a CRT are almost over. Wow.

Mine was shipped on Monday also. CA >VA ground shipping......should be here Friday. I hope it gets here in one piece lol.

Much of what is in the 200+ BenQ FP241W applies to this model, except seemingly the talk of blackouts and pixel mapping issues.

I am not a huge fan of refurbs. The shorter warranty doesn't always justify the cost differential/savings, but I haven't heard anything horrible about their refurbs (for sale). Generally you will always hear the bad so that's a good sign.

I calibrated mine. I can share those settings with you and even the profile which (IMHO) helps a lot in general windows use. I only do this if someone asks because profiles are not useful for everyone...

Ah thanks for the input. Just learned that mine shipped today and will be here Thursday so decided to stay with the new one, That would be great if you could share both the monitor and profile settings. What do you mean by the profiles not being useful for everyone?

Yep

I've got a lot of questions on profiles and calibration myself.

Another area where you can go days without sleep researching and still not know a GD thing!

So much incomplete and conflicting information.

can someone with this monitor please measure the width including the frame? I checked cnet and it said that it was 27.6 inches I just want to make sure that this is correct.

Also for those of you that just got the FP241VW from BenQ store, can you tell me where they are shipping from so I an estimate how long it will take to come if I order it...thanks =)

Back