Odyssey Neo G8 - 4K 240 Hz 32" Quantum Mini LED

Can you please post photos of the Neo G7 side by side with your Neo G9.

What is your thoughts about the two in terms of HDR performance? Do they both look equally as bright or does one have noticeably brighter HDR highlights etc?

Is the 32" vertical space more immersive and better to game on, or is the 49" horizontal space better in that regard?

I don't have the Neo G9 anymore, I returned it and kept the Neo g7. Both were pretty similar with HDR though there is a windows driver/firmware bug with the neo g7 that seems to be holding back it's HDR performance. I have to mess around more with gamma to see if I can fix. But neo g7 hardware hdr is amazing like with Xbox series X and non-PC HDR sources.

After using both, I felt the Neo G9 was way too wide and not tall enough. I feel that 34" 21:9 is also not tall enough (though width fine) The Neo G7 is just about right though I could also go for a 38" 21:9 - there are no good 38" 21:9 though, so a moot point.

The Neo G8/G7 models are an odd bunch. Why does the G7 have a different AG coating? I thought it would be just built with "lower" quality panels that don't pass for the G8 240 Hz.
Samsung considers their neo g8/g9 coating a premium feature. My guess is someone
at samsung decided the extra anti glare would improve black level perception with light sources (whether natural, RGB, etc) and this is true. But the downside is it looks a bit muted, but I assume Samsung figures that is a worthwhile tradeoff.

The Neo G7 seems to be the most all around balanced monitor of their "Neo" lineup. I will also add I did not experience any substantial QA issues with my very first Neo G7 sample from Amazon.

For anyone in the market for a mini led but Isn't very impressed with the Neo monitors I just picked up a 50" QN90B. It is plenty fast at 144hz and has better brighter HDR that any other monitor/TV. I would take the QN90B over the neo g7/g8 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Give it a look It's a monster and I love it.

For anyone in the market for a mini led but Isn't very impressed with the Neo monitors I just picked up a 50" QN90B. It is plenty fast at 144hz and has better brighter HDR that any other monitor/TV. I would take the QN90B over the neo g7/g8 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Give it a look It's a monster and I love it.
I think the 43" version of the QN90B might be a better alternative the G7/G8.

I think the 43" version of the QN90B might be a better alternative the G7/G8.
The 43s use the same old AUO panels that have pixel issues which are defective. Buyers beware of the 43. The 50 is the golden panel at 144hz. It doesn't have any issues and performs like a champ.

After using both, I felt the Neo G9 was way too wide and not tall enough. I feel that 34" 21:9 is also not tall enough (though width fine) The Neo G7 is just about right though I could also go for a 38" 21:9 - there are no good 38" 21:9 though, so a moot point.

Rtings says the neo g9 is considerably brighter than neo g8

What was your experience?

Got 2nd G7 Neo. Same problems as previous one in terms of picture quality. But no dust, it got a green stucked sub pixel instead. Only really visible on black without local dimming enabled :D.

But the hdr is total fake. Hdr 1000 measured with test windows :D. Hdr 150 max. at day time scenes .

This demo is showing it massively:

On X27 for example with 600 nits sustained and 12XX nits measured peak, its burning your eyes and has very good colors. On G7 Neo the colors are totally washed out and everything beside small highlights, like enlighten doors fors example, are looking very dimm. As i said 150 nits max. .

The color shift on the g7 neo is much worse than on my g8 neo unit. Especially very noticeable in dark mode on grey content. Top looks acceptable, everything below top has this silver shine and green tinted, lifted greys.

Ugly like hell. I return this monitor fast as possible. Gladly i ordered this garbage on invoice.

I still recommend, use LG 42 inch C2 oled for hdr (which looks light years better) and normal ips like 37.5" 144 - 160 hz uwqhd+ panels for daily life. No better option up to now available.

Last edited:
Got 2nd G7 Neo. Same problems as previous one in terms of picture quality. But no dust, it got a green stucked sub pixel instead. Only really visible on black without local dimming enabled :D.

But the hdr is total fake. Hdr 1000 measured with test windows :D. Hdr 150 max. at day time scenes .

On X27 for example with 600 nits sustained and 12XX nits measured peak, its burning your eyes and has very good colors. On G7 Neo the colors are totally washed out and everything beside small highlights, like enlighten doors fors example, are looking very dimm. As i said 150 nits max. .

The color shift on the g7 neo is much worse than on my g8 neo unit. Especially very noticeable in dark mode on grey content. Top looks acceptable, everything below top has this silver shine and green tinted, lifted greys.

Ugly like hell. I return this monitor fast as possible. Gladly i ordered this garbage on invoice.

I still recommend, use LG 42 inch C2 oled for hdr (which looks light years better) and normal ips like 37.5" 144 - 160 hz uwqhd+ panels for daily life. No better option up to now available.

What setting is the local dimming set too? Auto, Low or High?

Can anyone with the knowledge please help? Thank you
I tried HDMI on the current 1003 firmware on a friends monitor and Gsync was bugged at 240hz. At 120hz it worked but setting the monitor to 240hz made Gsync vanish.

On my 1002 firmware monitor HDMI was pretty wonky and would just blank out at 240hz repeatedly so I gave up.

Not sure if our examples are just outliers but YMMV.

I tried HDMI on the current 1003 firmware on a friends monitor and Gsync was bugged at 240hz. At 120hz it worked but setting the monitor to 240hz made Gsync vanish.

On my 1002 firmware monitor HDMI was pretty wonky and would just blank out at 240hz repeatedly so I gave up.

Not sure if our examples are just outliers but YMMV.
Thank you for the response. That doesn’t sound good. Do you think it could be something to do with the Nvidia driver?

The Morocco video barely touches 800 nits on Youtube. It's not the brightness that makes G8/G7 worse. It's the lack of color of VA panel.

Rtings says the neo g9 is considerably brighter than neo g8

What was your experience?
I didn't measure them but they seemed in the ballpark of each other with content. Just looking at the desktop the neo G9 & neo G7 I have to use at a low brightness setting because maxed out both are very bright. The difference is the windows HDR algorithm seems like it needs work on the neo g7/neo g8 while the neo g9 is more refined maybe because it's been out longer (neo g9 initial firmware had windows HDR issues also). The HDR experience on the neo g7/g8 hooked up to Xbox is substantially different/better than windows.

This was my biggest flaw with it. Having my IPS next to it was a huge glaring difference in color vividness, especially edges. Stood out even more in gray content like this site or Discord.

Interesting that the Neo G8 has less of it, or is that perhaps just panel variance?

are these the only resolutions available at 240hz for neo g8?

no 2560x1440?

1659864132861.png

Update: it looks like when Adaptive sync is on (Monitor Setting). Perform Scaling is set to GPU(Nvidia Setting) and you lose rest of the resolutions and you cant force set it to Display, It just reverts back to GPU. When the Adaptive sync is off, Perform Scaling reverts back to Display and all the resolutions are available.

Update 2: Setting the monitor setting to 120hz(with adaptive sync on) also shows all resolutions.

Is this normal behavior? it just seem very odd to me.

Last edited:
are these the only resolutions available at 240hz for neo g8?

no 2560x1440?

View attachment 498512

Update: it looks like when Adaptive sync is on (Monitor Setting). Perform Scaling is set to GPU(Nvidia Setting) and you lose rest of the resolutions and you cant force set it to Display, It just reverts back to GPU. When the Adaptive sync is off, Perform Scaling reverts back to Display and all the resolutions are available.

Is this normal behavior? it just seem very odd to me.
That's what I saw too sometimes while other times more resolutions were available depending on reboot. Needs a firmware update but also please don't tell me you intend to use this thing at 1440p.

That's what I saw too sometimes while other times more resolutions were available depending on reboot. Needs a firmware update but also please don't tell me you intend to use this thing at 1440p.
No. I wont be running this at 1440p. I just noticed the weird resolutions.

I got it fixed. DDU then reinstall the drivers. that was a really weird hickup

Has anyone tried watching HDR10+ content on their Neo G7 or Neo G8? I'm getting an issue with my Neo G7 where the image is very dim and washed out except for the first frame after every camera cut. I tested HDR10+ with a Roku and an Amazon Firestick and was streaming the HDR10+ content from Amazon Prime Video. Regular HDR10 content looks great, this only happens with HDR10+ content. I don't know if it's an issue with my panel, an issue with HDR10+ content on Amazon Prime Video, or a firmware issue that affects everyone. I tried to capture it on video. You can see the single bright frame after every camera cut, but the video is not doing a good job of showing how dim the image appears in person.

Has anyone tried watching HDR10+ content on their Neo G7 or Neo G8? I'm getting an issue with my Neo G7 where the image is very dim and washed out except for the first frame after every camera cut. I tested HDR10+ with a Roku and an Amazon Firestick and was streaming the HDR10+ content from Amazon Prime Video. Regular HDR10 content looks great, this only happens with HDR10+ content. I don't know if it's an issue with my panel, an issue with HDR10+ content on Amazon Prime Video, or a firmware issue that affects everyone. I tried to capture it on video. You can see the single bright frame after every camera cut, but the video is not doing a good job of showing how dim the image appears in person.

Samsung made HDR 10+. Similar to Dolby Vision, HDR 10+ has dynamic metadata base on each frame so the monitor can do better tone mapping. It should've made the monitor output higher luminance than regular HDR.

After testing different types of content on the Neo G7 for a few weeks now and measuring some scenes with a colorimeter, the quality of the HDR experience varies a LOT depending on the source. I downloaded one of Digital Foundry's few HDR videos (available to patreon backers), and their logo shines at 1230 nits during the opening when viewed in VLC. That's a bright light against a black background, which is about the only time you'll see 1200 nits. There were various scenes throughout the video I watched (the one about the SpeicalK Auto HDR mod) with highlights that exceeded 800 nits though, some of them pretty large. When viewing the video on youtube, the opening logo was 900 nits, and when viewing on MPC-HC with madVR, the logo was 750 nits. The rest of the video was comparatively dimmer too. I don't know what settings I need to change to fix that, as I've tried a few things (shader tone mapping with various luminance settings and passthrough tone mapping), but I haven't managed to see any improvement.

This kind of variance happens with games too. Many games can get real-scene highlghts to be very bright, while some others basically look like SDR (and I've double-checked that they're in HDR mode). This is my first time using an HDR display with a PC, so I don't know if this is normal or not. But the conclusion I'm drawing here is that HDR tonemapping on PC is just extremely inconsistent and frustrating. I did notice that Windows reports the display as having a peak brightness of 1000 nits even though I've seen peaks over 1200, and I wonder if some programs are getting bad metadata from the display or windows while other programs are using different APIs that circumvent this somehow. I don't know how to fix that, though. I saw someone on reddit mention using CRU, but the HDR metadata fields only give you three digits, so it's not helpful here.

I friend of mine told me that the Neo G8 is no longer listed on Samsung's website. I took a look and sure enough I don't see the Neo G8 or the Neo G9. Not sure why but these two models have been problematic so there might be something to this.

Samsung Gaming Monitor Link

After testing different types of content on the Neo G7 for a few weeks now and measuring some scenes with a colorimeter, the quality of the HDR experience varies a LOT depending on the source. I downloaded one of Digital Foundry's few HDR videos (available to patreon backers), and their logo shines at 1230 nits during the opening when viewed in VLC. That's a bright light against a black background, which is about the only time you'll see 1200 nits. There were various scenes throughout the video I watched (the one about the SpeicalK Auto HDR mod) with highlights that exceeded 800 nits though, some of them pretty large. When viewing the video on youtube, the opening logo was 900 nits, and when viewing on MPC-HC with madVR, the logo was 750 nits. The rest of the video was comparatively dimmer too. I don't know what settings I need to change to fix that, as I've tried a few things (shader tone mapping with various luminance settings and passthrough tone mapping), but I haven't managed to see any improvement.

This kind of variance happens with games too. Many games can get real-scene highlghts to be very bright, while some others basically look like SDR (and I've double-checked that they're in HDR mode). This is my first time using an HDR display with a PC, so I don't know if this is normal or not. But the conclusion I'm drawing here is that HDR tonemapping on PC is just extremely inconsistent and frustrating. I did notice that Windows reports the display as having a peak brightness of 1000 nits even though I've seen peaks over 1200, and I wonder if some programs are getting bad metadata from the display or windows while other programs are using different APIs that circumvent this somehow. I don't know how to fix that, though. I saw someone on reddit mention using CRU, but the HDR metadata fields only give you three digits, so it's not helpful here.
I believe it's totally normal that in games some scenes are not much different from SDR. So is how bright things get as it might depend on how the game is designed to handle HDR as well as art direction. It would not make sense that everything is as bright as possible, right?

The video going to different brightness levels depending on where it's played is weird tho. YouTube would be encoded differently and might have some limits on how it deals with HDR to save bandwidth, I have no idea. But different players certainly should handle it the same but it could be a bug or a settings issue.

SDR in HDR mode was improved quite a bit after switching to the Windows 11 Insider Beta channel. I think Microsoft pushed an update that improved tone mapping to sRGB, as colors now appear far less washed out and gamma is mostly correct (though still slightly low).

I also found that you can improve the brightness of SDR content while in HDR mode by increasing the RGB gain controls, but doing this massively screws with the EOTF curve for HDR content. It's just frustrating to me that setting the SDR brightness slider in Windows past 55 or so destroys your gamma and contrast while keeping the full-screen brightness at ~220 nits or so, even though you can hit 350 nits in regular SDR mode.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, How's everyone doing today, hopefully great.

I'm new to the forums and also new G8 owner here and just wanted to ask a couple questions in regard to the Neo G8, so if yall could help me out id appreciate it. So here we go:

1. Can any neo G8 owner here comfortably say that your monitor has no scanline issues at 240 hz? Does all Neo G8 have scanline issues? Is it possible some are less noticeable that other meaning exchanging my current monitor might be a good idea? I bought my monitor from amazon US internationally because my country does not have this monitor so exchanging it and/or return is a big hassle. I do have scanlines at 240hz, ima say they are noticeble and if i change it to sRgb mode its a bit better but I do have to return my current NEO G8 because the front panel RGB is not working (which I don't care tbh) but I am afraid that if I exchange it I might get a worse Neo G8, with worse scanlines and worse brightness ( I read the forum here that NEO G8 can vary greatly in brightness as well)

2. Has anyone being able to successfully modify the NEO G8 refresh rate to a custom refresh rate, for instance, Custom 4k,180 hz? If so can you teach me how to do it?

3. For the people who had to try out NEO G7/G8, Alienware QD OLED and the LG C2, which one would you go for?

Thanks a lot in advance guys.

I'm new to the forums and also new G8 owner here and just wanted to ask a couple questions in regard to the Neo G8, so if yall could help me out id appreciate it. So here we go:

1. Can any neo G8 owner here comfortably say that your monitor has no scanline issues at 240 hz? Does all Neo G8 have scanline issues? Is it possible some are less noticeable that other meaning exchanging my current monitor might be a good idea? I bought my monitor from amazon US internationally because my country does not have this monitor so exchanging it and/or return is a big hassle. I do have scanlines at 240hz, ima say they are noticeble and if i change it to sRgb mode its a bit better but I do have to return my current NEO G8 because the front panel RGB is not working (which I don't care tbh) but I am afraid that if I exchange it I might get a worse Neo G8, with worse scanlines and worse brightness ( I read the forum here that NEO G8 can vary greatly in brightness as well)

2. Has anyone being able to successfully modify the NEO G8 refresh rate to a custom refresh rate, for instance, Custom 4k,180 hz? If so can you teach me how to do it?

3. For the people who had to try out NEO G7/G8, Alienware QD OLED and the LG C2, which one would you go for?

I really like the QD-OLED but the 21:9 aspect ration and the fact that it was 1440p wasn't the best about it. Overall, I prefer the Odyssey Neo G8 to the Alienware. I'm just waiting on a firmware update at this point to fix some of the issues.

Hi All,

So this is my first post and it is about the Neo G8. I have a very strange issue where I have diagnosed it down to the refresh rate of 250hz at 4k causing the problem. Everytime I play COD it is hit or miss whether my screen will go black or not. I have had the screen go black on BF2042 also. In a nutshell sometimes the games will load or sometimes they will just go black screen and then the monitor will say no signal detected. What is weird is that when it does load in properly if I minimise (alt, tab out) and try maximise again using fullscreen I will get the no signal detected and the monitor information (icon to let you know input) will go pink. The no signal detected message will also go a pink colour mixed with other colours instead of the solid blue.
Sometimes when I am booting my machine also I will see the monitor scrolling through colours continuously which I then have to restart my machine again. I always have to restart my machine once the no signal detected message shows.

So to test this I have limited the monitor to 120hz and have adaptive sync turned on , no matter what I do I can get the monitor to do the above behaviour. Only thing I have found having adaptive sync on is that the colours on the monitor does not look that great but I am able to game with no issues.

I have also updated my nvidia drivers as I am running a asus tuf 3080 gpu and at the same time ran ddu to remove and install fresh drivers just incase this was the culprit.
I have also ran the monitor using an hdmi cable, sometimes the input icon will turn pink but always avoids the black screen.

So you are probably thinking that it might be a gpu issue I connected my PC to my Samsung G7 which I run 240hz on that monitor and it works perfectly no problems.
I am using the cable that came with the monitor. I have also replaced the display cable with one that i know that works and gives the same issue when the monitor is running at 240hz.

At this point should I have just bought 2 G7's? Not sure what else to do or if I have a faulty monitor. This is my second neo the first one had a scratch which I could not live with so sent it back, but I think this issue is even worse if it forces me to restart my machine all the time.

Hello

I am also in the middle of a reflection between the G8 neo and the G7
It's for gaming PC PS5 and internet / Office 50 / 50 use.

I want deep blacks so no IPS type panel

I'm a bit afraid to have scanlines on the G8 in 240 ghz

But I like the colors on the G8 more than the G7 neo in 165 ghz

Otherwise the Oled from alienware aw3423dw but the 21/9 scares me in terms of aspect ratio ( elongated crushed image )

Not easy really to choose even if the G8 neo is the screen that I wish to have ..if the defects are corrected in a few months

I really like the QD-OLED but the 21:9 aspect ration and the fact that it was 1440p wasn't the best about it. Overall, I prefer the Odyssey Neo G8 to the Alienware. I'm just waiting on a firmware update at this point to fix some of the issues.
Im on 1003 firmware, is there a new firmware ?

Hello

I am also in the middle of a reflection between the G8 neo and the G7
It's for gaming PC PS5 and internet / Office 50 / 50 use.

I want deep blacks so no IPS type panel

I'm a bit afraid to have scanlines on the G8 in 240 ghz

But I like the colors on the G8 more than the G7 neo in 165 ghz

Otherwise the Oled from alienware aw3423dw but the 21/9 scares me in terms of aspect ratio ( elongated crushed image )

Not easy really to choose even if the G8 neo is the screen that I wish to have ..if the defects are corrected in a few months

Hi brother,

man, 4k 240hz is absolutely gorgeus on the NEO G8, its one of a kind, no other monitor can do this but the only issues are the scanlines ;/.

The blacks are Oled like, its really hard to tell difference, but I do get a bit of black crush if I put black equalizer too high.

So an update on my previous post,

I finally got my second NEO G8 unit from amazon and I was very sad when I found out that it also has Scanlines. At this point I'm starting to believe that all Neo G8's have scanlines and that the people that say they don't have it are just blind. The scanline issue is somewhat remedied by using sRGB mode, it does help a lot in my opinion and also the hotter the monitor gets the less scanlines I get its kinda weird, like I would turn on my pc for the first time in the day and i'd say more prominent scalines and 10 minutes later they are very faint. Did anyone also notice this?

Also I was wondering if monitor experts here could help me out choosing the better panel since that I now have 2 monitors at hand, I do notice a difference in both monitors but I won't say first just curious if other people can notice as well.

I'd greatly appreciate it if the monitor experts can help me figure out what the calibration report means since I don't know how to read it. I will also post a side to side comparison between the two Neo G8's so you can help me figure out which panel is better. Both are sRGB mode, MAX brightness, Black EQ 13

Attachments

• PXL_20220907_194642127.jpg
    PXL_20220907_194642127.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220907_194702310.jpg
    PXL_20220907_194702310.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220907_200029693.jpg
    PXL_20220907_200029693.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220907_195603090_3.jpg
    PXL_20220907_195603090_3.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi brother,

man, 4k 240hz is absolutely gorgeus on the NEO G8, its one of a kind, no other monitor can do this but the only issues are the scanlines ;/.

The blacks are Oled like, its really hard to tell difference, but I do get a bit of black crush if I put black equalizer too high.

Don't forget it having one of the worst dirty/sparkle AR films on a modern display out there. That and the scan-lines are the primary reasons I returned mine.

Don't forget it having one of the worst dirty/sparkle AR films on a modern display out there. That and the scan-lines are the primary reasons I returned mine.
Yeah I don't get how they end up with this when the same company makes the S28AG70 I have and that one has a very non-intrusive AG coating that still cuts down on reflections well.

First thing I should have done was check [H] about this monitor. I got one at launch and its been an interesting time with it.

For some reason my monitor not only had scanlines at 240hz but they showed up at 120hz and even all the way down to 60hz. Samsung accepted a repair claim but after a few days I was sent back a completely different monitor. After a few emails and talking to several cs reps finally managed to get my monitor back.

Scanlines still show up on 240hz but at least its fixed on everything else. Not sure if anyone else had problems with scanlines showing up outside of 240hz but it seems that can be improved at least.

Anyone get one of these recently or hear about a new firmware? I'm thinking about getting another one for Warzone 2/PUBG. Hopefully one that doesn't smell like melting glue. May try and remove the terrible AR film to boot.

Back