Odyssey Neo G8 - 4K 240 Hz 32" Quantum Mini LED

UPDATE on my NEO G7

First, the new Windows 11 HDR Calibration tool available in the Microsoft Store massively improved the HDR performance in Windows. Before a lot of stuff was blown out, now it looks great - before it looked great with XBOX Series X but not as great in Windows 11. Now it looks great in both! BTW, according to this tool the display is capable of about 1700-1750 nits full screen HDR.

Second, GSYNC is now working properly, but around the same time GSYNC started working the max refresh available in Windows 11 dropped to 60hz for some reason, haven't had time to debug that yet.

Anyway, this monitor is turning out to be a great buy!!

Got 2nd G7 Neo. Same problems as previous one in terms of picture quality. But no dust, it got a green stucked sub pixel instead. Only really visible on black without local dimming enabled :D.

But the hdr is total fake. Hdr 1000 measured with test windows :D. Hdr 150 max. at day time scenes .

This demo is showing it massively:

On X27 for example with 600 nits sustained and 12XX nits measured peak, its burning your eyes and has very good colors. On G7 Neo the colors are totally washed out and everything beside small highlights, like enlighten doors fors example, are looking very dimm. As i said 150 nits max. .

The color shift on the g7 neo is much worse than on my g8 neo unit. Especially very noticeable in dark mode on grey content. Top looks acceptable, everything below top has this silver shine and green tinted, lifted greys.

Ugly like hell. I return this monitor fast as possible. Gladly i ordered this garbage on invoice.

I still recommend, use LG 42 inch C2 oled for hdr (which looks light years better) and normal ips like 37.5" 144 - 160 hz uwqhd+ panels for daily life. No better option up to now available.

You need to use the HDR calibration tool to get the HDR colors and brightness correct on the Neo G7/G8 in Windows. I have my Neo G7 calibrated and am not experiencing those issues:
https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9N7F2SM5D1LR

Once it is setup properly, the HDR is excellent.

Hello

I am also in the middle of a reflection between the G8 neo and the G7
Decision is pretty simple, but your personal preference will decide - they are basically the same experience aside from the below (I did not include cosmetic differences in the list):

NEO G8
+ 240hz refresh rate
+ Best in class glare/reflection elimination performance
- Scanlines at 240hz, need to drop to 120hz to get rid of them. This likely won't change with a firmware update as the scanlines are probably part of the tech to get to 240hz.
- Anti-glare comes at the expense of some minor screen surface artifacts

NEO G7
+ Can do up to 165hz with no scanlines, meaning it has higher refresh than the NEO G8 can do without scanlines
+ Good anti-glare similar to typical alienware monitors, etc
+ No artifacts from anti-glare screen
- Can't do 240hz
- In an environment with powerful light source the NEO G8 will have better perceived blacks due to the stronger anti-glare

Personally, I recommend the Neo G7 as it offers the more balanced experience and better value, but if you need 240hz and the strongest anti glare then get the NEO G8.

UPDATE on my NEO G7

First, the new Windows 11 HDR Calibration tool available in the Microsoft Store massively improved the HDR performance in Windows. Before a lot of stuff was blown out, now it looks great - before it looked great with XBOX Series X but not as great in Windows 11. Now it looks great in both! BTW, according to this tool the display is capable of about 1700-1750 nits full screen HDR.

Second, GSYNC is now working properly, but around the same time GSYNC started working the max refresh available in Windows 11 dropped to 60hz for some reason, haven't had time to debug that yet.

That's good to hear, I like the panel but I need something that's also a little more oriented towards productivity. This panel with a lesser curve would be perfect.

That's good to hear, I like the panel but I need something that's also a little more oriented towards productivity. This panel with a lesser curve would be perfect.
I use mine for productivity and have no issues. The only productivity scenario I could see being an issue is where geometric lines are very important (i.e. photography, architectural video, CAD, etc). For typical office work the curve becomes second nature in a couple of weeks.

I can't believe months after release they still haven't put out a firmware update. There are people with launch monitors who have the firmware that bugs out half the screen when enabling HDR that got fixed with monitors that shipped a few weeks later on a newer firmware but they still haven't made that firmware public.

I can't believe months after release they still haven't put out a firmware update. There are people with launch monitors who have the firmware that bugs out half the screen when enabling HDR that got fixed with monitors that shipped a few weeks later on a newer firmware but they still haven't made that firmware public.
Is this a NEO G8-only issue? I have the NEO G7 and haven't experienced this, though it wasn't a launch monitor.

I use mine for productivity and have no issues. The only productivity scenario I could see being an issue is where geometric lines are very important (i.e. photography, architectural video, CAD, etc). For typical office work the curve becomes second nature in a couple of weeks.
I dont use photoshop and illustrator all the time but I do use them, I'd have to run them on a seperate smaller IPS panel, and just code and run my unity editor in the 32. Honestly might not be the worst solution, I'm getting to the point I don't want to wait anymore. I also don't have a GPU to push it at the moment, so there's that.

I dont use photoshop and illustrator all the time but I do use them, I'd have to run them on a seperate smaller IPS panel, and just code and run my unity editor in the 32. Honestly might not be the worst solution, I'm getting to the point I don't want to wait anymore. I also don't have a GPU to push it at the moment, so there's that.
I can tell you that 2560x1440 16:9 looks excellent upscaled to 4K with the monitor's upscaling. I have a mobile 3070ti and while it can do many games at 4K there are some I need to drop the res a bit.

I use photoshop a decent amount too and even there the curve is not a big deal, EXCEPT when dealing with architecture and you want to make sure you have straight lines, etc.

I would also say to get the NEO G7 , IMO some of the reported headaches of the NEO G8 aren't worth 240hz.

I can tell you that 2560x1440 16:9 looks excellent upscaled to 4K with the monitor's upscaling. I have a mobile 3070ti and while it can do many games at 4K there are some I need to drop the res a bit.

I use photoshop a decent amount too and even there the curve is not a big deal, EXCEPT when dealing with architecture and you want to make sure you have straight lines, etc.

I would also say to get the NEO G7 , IMO some of the reported headaches of the NEO G8 aren't worth 240hz.
Yeahhh I'm going to wait for RDNA 3 to launch, likely pick up a 7800 XT if they aren't insane and a G7. If not i'll get a 3080 ti or 90. I sold my 3060 ti a while back, I'm using a RX 580 right now.

I'm thinking of possibly trying a Neo G7 again. Is gamma shift panel variance? That was my biggest issue with it last time. The bottom half of my screen wash always washed out, especially for grays.

I'm thinking of possibly trying a Neo G7 again. Is gamma shift panel variance? That was my biggest issue with it last time. The bottom half of my screen wash always washed out, especially for grays.
Gamma shift is inherent to the panels so they are all like that. No matter where you position your head either the top, bottom or both will be slightly washed out but TBH it was only an issue for me on solid colors.

Gamma shift is inherent to the panels so they are all like that. No matter where you position your head either the top, bottom or both will be slightly washed out but TBH it was only an issue for me on solid colors.
Agree. I have used the Samsung CRG9 for years now and the only time I am bothered by it is having a single color spanning the whole height of the screen. In normal use it's just not a problem IMO.

VA does have worse viewing angles but the curve helps mitigate it to some degree. I have had flat TN and VA panels in the past that were infuriating to use because a slight shift of position caused them to change drastically. This is not an issue with modern VA panels. When you are sitting in front of the display it all generally works fine.

Once Samsung drops the price again below $1,500 I may try another G8. IMO would be the perfect display for Warzone 2.0 which I want to get into. Maybe waiting for the price drop will get me a later revision. I'll probably test ways to remove the terrible AR film.

Once Samsung drops the price again below $1,500 I may try another G8. IMO would be the perfect display for Warzone 2.0 which I want to get into. Maybe waiting for the price drop will get me a later revision. I'll probably test ways to remove the terrible AR film.
Something I found interesting is that a YouTuber, Viktor's Reality, did a side-by-side test with the G8 and G7. He said he didn't see much of a difference in picture quality/sharpness between the two panels despite the aggressive AR film.

From the get go I didn't think there really is that big a hit in clarity between the G8 and other monitors. For content consumption it makes 0 difference IMO but if you're trying to work spreadsheets on this dumb curve than it may bother you depending on your personal sensitivity to it.

Why not just get the NEO G7? It doesnt have the aggressive AR film or scanlines and can still do 4K @ 165hz

Why not just get the NEO G7? It doesnt have the aggressive AR film or scanlines and can still do 4K @ 165hz

4K at 240 Hz in games is quite something.

Something I found interesting is that a YouTuber, Viktor's Reality, did a side-by-side test with the G8 and G7. He said he didn't see much of a difference in picture quality/sharpness between the two panels despite the aggressive AR film.

I've probably had over a hundred monitors over the last two decades in front of me.. the G8 AR Film is pretty crappy and has a noticeable reduction in 4K clarity compared to other 32" 4K's I've had.

For anyone interested the first revision has started shipping. Initial launch version was CA01.

What has changed? Who knows but its still shipping with 1003 firmware.

20220926_151539.jpg

I'm just waiting for another Samsung monthly price drop to get another and try it out.
I do not think these are flying off the shelves at full price so it shouldn't be too long.

I'm just waiting for another Samsung monthly price drop to get another and try it out.
I do not think these are flying off the shelves at full price so it shouldn't be too long.

Which is crazy since this is the first and only 4k 240Hz monitor out there. I guess that kind of resolution/refresh rate is pretty hard to achieve atm so people could just be waiting on better hardware before taking the plunge.

UPDATE on my NEO G7

On my G8 the crosses vanish around 1000-1050 nits. Post calibration made little to no difference in overall HDR performace which is generally all over the place (dark stuff crushed badly, bright stuff over brightened, etc).

HDR on the current firmware is serviceable IMO. The main attraction is the super clean pixel response and 240hz smoothness/clarity.

Gonna switch back to this soon as I have a 4090 because although HDR is mediocre, the above attributes make up for it. Right now my wife is using it with a MacBook air lmao.

My friends is the new revision I pictured above. He replaced a PG32UQX that I sold him over a year ago which I contemplated buying back but 30 seconds of a game in motion today with that panel made me want to puke. It's a great monitor for looking at still images of HDR.

Last edited:
Which is crazy since this is the first and only 4k 240Hz monitor out there. I guess that kind of resolution/refresh rate is pretty hard to achieve atm so people could just be waiting on better hardware before taking the plunge.

Well the scan-line issue is going to be a deal breaker for many. I've been playing some MWII Beta and Warzone 1 lately and the 42C2 just cannot keep up in those games and feels clunky at 120 Hz. The G8 is epic for first person shooters which I'm getting back into with MWII and Warzone 2 release soon.

Amazon I think is having a 2nd Prime Day early October so this monitor will go on sale for sure.

BTW I know someone who has been through 4 of these and still has not received one without either a dark spot on the screen or a blemish in the AR coating with all of them having specks of dust trapped. In fact the first one he received he RMA'd to Samsung because of some dark pressure mark on the panel. They replaced the panel with one that has a similar dark pressure mark in a different location which is hilarious because the uniformity test they conduct was checked off as "Pass" on the repair paperwork sent with the repair.

The horrible QC remains.

Last edited:
Ya my one and only I returned smelled of burning glue, like some factory worker got glue on a chip that gets hot. It was actually burning my eyes.

Many of us are waiting for something better, and curve as an option but not required (note: I don't mind curves, I've got a prior-generation G9, but I don't want them on everything either).

FALD, HDR 1000, G-Sync ultimate, 4k, 144hz, IPS or OLED. Sane price (<2k) for 32". That's my target. Still waiting. PG32UQX is the closest, but about $500 too much, and some of the specs are a little lackluster. The God monitor is good too - but also $5k.

So I'm still waiting.

Many of us are waiting for something better, and curve as an option but not required (note: I don't mind curves, I've got a prior-generation G9, but I don't want them on everything either).

FALD, HDR 1000, G-Sync ultimate, 4k, 144hz, IPS or OLED. Sane price (<2k) for 32". That's my target. Still waiting. PG32UQX is the closest, but about $500 too much, and some of the specs are a little lackluster. The God monitor is good too - but also $5k.

So I'm still waiting.
What is the 'God monitor' you are talking about?

I've got the revision 2 in, combined with the Windows HDR Calibration Tool, this display is noticeably better.

Its a great monitor but they really need need to address the remaining issues with a firmware update. Its been almost 4 months and HDR on the desktop and associated AutoHDR are blown out and look terrible. Also the monitor forgets your RGB settings randomly so calibration is pointless. Sometimes I still get the half screen dim impression left after enabling/disabling HDR too.

It is baffling to me that the monitor is still in this state.

Its a great monitor but they really need need to address the remaining issues with a firmware update. Its been almost 4 months and HDR on the desktop and associated AutoHDR are blown out and look terrible. Also the monitor forgets your RGB settings randomly so calibration is pointless. Sometimes I still get the half screen dim impression left after enabling/disabling HDR too.

It is baffling to me that the monitor is still in this state.
As Vega mentioned download the Windows HDR Calibration Tool and see if that resolves some of your issues.

As Vega mentioned download the Windows HDR Calibration Tool and see if that resolves some of your issues.
I already mentioned before that it makes little to no difference. No clue what you guys are seeing. I think it may have very very very slightly made black bars in movies darker but they are still blown out and there is something fundamentally borked with the HDR implementation. AutoHDR is unusable, it makes games look worse than SDR.

Hopefully a firmware update will address it.

I gotta say that after switching back to this for a week. My C2 at 120hz looks disgustingly slow/choppy (especially on desktop). I'm 100% on the 240hz bandwagon.

Ya I cannot do 120 Hz anymore. G8 is staying on desk and 42C2 going up for sale. The G8 isn't perfect by any means, but it's the best for FPS's which is basically all I play.

Next Gen GPUs/CPUs are also going to make averaging well over 120fps at 4K more attainable. Definitely not a locked 240 but I'd say 180-200fps is possible if you are willing to tune some settings, use DLSS, and forego ray tracing. At this point I'm also done with 120Hz displays.

Well I tried a Neo G7 again for a few weeks. I still couldn't get over the gamma & color shift, and this time it kept making me sleepy/tired (eye strain?). I just give up on VA's completely for now. Oled and IPS don't mess with my eyes like VA does.

This monitor is finally paying off. Got my 4090 today and playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider with DLSS quality, I'm at my 237Hz frame cap most of the time. Enabling RT High with DLSS drops that down to like 190-210FPS. Seems a lot of games I'm not getting 99% GPU usage even with a 12900K.

Going to try Spidermans DLSS3 now.

Ya my OC'd 4090 and G8 are amazing combos. Apex of gaming right now. Think I may get a 13900k just to make sure I'm pegged as close to 240 Hz as possible at all times in games.

Back