Oculus Touch Impressions

USMCGrunt

2[H]4U
Before I get started, I'm curious if Kyle has given the Oculus Rift/Touch a go. I know he's been engrossed with the Vive but I'd really like to get his impression. I think a Vive vs Rift comparison article would be awesome to get from the [H]. KYLE!!! DO IT!!!!!

To preface, I was a pre-order customer for both the DK2 and the Rift. Both didn't get used a whole hell of a lot because the games just weren't there and I got bored pretty quick. There's also the total lack of presence for me with just the headset, I was never 'lost' in whatever VR experience I tried out. They were neat but I always felt very grounded in my chair with the controller/mounse/keyboard in hand.

Fast forward to now, my Rift hasn't been used for a few months since I got tired of Dragon Front. I decided to pick up the Touch controllers now that they've been knocked down to $100. Get everything setup and I am laughing to myself, giddy with excitement when the tutorial trailer loads with the robot. I spend I don't know how long inside this space playing, completely engrossed by the robot and the 3D printed toys created by the floppy disks (or maybe they're Iomega zip drives).

When that ends I jump into the store and the Toy Store experience and spend some time there trying to acclimate to the control scheme and hand eye coordination with the controllers. I found trying to catch things incredibly difficult but Robo Recall makes me think it was just the game, more on RR in a second. I managed to punch the ceiling fan once while I was smacking a tether ball around, that was funny. Otherwise, the Guardian system did it's job letting me know when I was close to my boundaries. Controller precision was solid, I could extend and line up both my index fingers and the onscreen representation lined up with reality, when my fingers touched 'on screen' they also did in reality.

Once I felt like I had the hang of things, I jumped into Robo Recall and had a fucking blast. Graphics look great, surprisingly good for being a VR game and I got completely lost playing the levels. Reflecting on it, it felt like those old Area 51 arcade games with the plastic weapons except, it was all around you, completely enveloping you. Teleportation movement takes some practice to get the hang of, at one point the game was telling me to turn around because I had teleported in facing the wrong way and just turned around to compensate. Tracking remained spot on when this happened but the notice broke me out of the game and made me realize I had no idea where I was standing in reality.

I think my only criticism is that I had to take a break, not because I got tired of being inside, but because my face was on fire! A couple times I pulled the headset away from my face for a few seconds to get some air circulating but it finally got to be too much of a annoyance. Although it was hot inside, the lenses never fogged up on me. If I wanted to I probably coulda kept playing for much longer.

Doing the math, I think I was inside VR for about two hours without ever taking it off. It felt like 30 minutes. If you are a Rift owner, the Touch controllers are a must have. I knew they'd make a positive difference and felt Oculus stumbled when they didn't include them with the launch but I didn't realize they'd make THIS big of a difference.

Off to feed the meat sack and then return to the digital realm!

Awesome writeup, I would LOVE to see something from Kyle about the Ruft+Touch+3rd sensor vs vive. I'm really wanting to get into VR, and with the price drop vs the 0% interest I'm having a bitch of a time deciding.

I dont think Kyle is going to review Rift.
He got rid of his first one without apparently opening it.
He has another that he hasnt opened and is thinking of sending back or returning, cant remember which.

He is not impressed with the walled garden approach, he wants VR to grow without forced restrictions.
He has started a new company which will be handing VR reviews and more (I havent read more about it yet).

Its sad because Rift is by far the better VR kit for image quality, comfort, strap system, weight, weight balance, controllers and sound system.
It doesnt have as large room scale as the Vive but I find its easily enough for me and I'm only using 2 sensors.
I agree that the Faceplant association and the way it is handled is shitty, thats why I originally cancelled my order and bought a Vive.
On the other hand I got no support (zero) for my Vive problems, they didnt even respond to my bank, thats why I ordered another Rift.

Shrug.

I think it will come down to next gen equipment. Seems right now they are pretty close to each other.

With a third sensor and the Touch controllers, to me at least there is no discernible difference between the Rift and the Vive when it comes to room scale VR gaming capability. I own both and switch between them often - sort of best of both worlds and I agree they are equally capable systems. (My VR space is roughly 7' x 10'). The Touch controllers however are incredibly well designed/engineered - a definite step up from the Vive's wands. I'd score them at 90% whereas the Vive's wands I'd give a 75%.

Kyle's stated that he wasn't going to bother reviewing the Rift because so many others have already. I'm ok with that, buy Kyle, you are selling yourself short as to a really fantastic VR experience by not setting up your Rift with Touch and a third sensor and firing up Robo Recall. It really is worth setting up your Rift to experience that game in particular. It's incredibly well polished and really feels like VR's first AAA title. Then there's a few other Rift specific gems like Oculus Medium, The Unspoken, Dead and Buried, and The Climb to experience as well.

Reactions: DPI
like this
That may be accurate for most games, but if you crawl on the ground or go to the boundaries of the setup, the Touch sensors still have a hard time tracking. They also cant do a large area very well compared to Vive.

The Vive sensor tracking is far superior and you can feel it, there is just no comparison. Again for most games it doesnt matter much, but playing games like Onward and trying to use both controllers in unison to steady the scope of a rifle, especially if you're on the ground or approaching the boundaries of your room... it shows. The last thing you want in competitive multiplayer VR is to lose due to tracking issues.

The oculus does have better image quality and better comfort, no doubt about it.

We need a company to develop a headset as refined as oculus, but with the tracking of the vive. Vive is also very useful for doing human tasks like eating and drinking, seeing someone who comes into the room, or looking around for a controller / keyboard / mouse due to its outward facing camera. I love having the real life room view camera at the tap of a button.

Three sensors is not enough. Take it from a guy who just got his fourth sensor (current maximum that Oculus allows) and noticed an immediate improvement in the previously sensor-less corner, particularly for two-handed weapons in games like Onward, where even the slightest jump is enough to throw off your aim at at distance. Now it's what I imagine to be pretty close to Vive-level tracking reliability (still have yet to demo a Vive, I admit).

Sure, it might be good enough for most people, but if you're like me and want the most reliable tracking in all directions, leaving one corner sensorless makes no sense.

That means $118 extra (used to be $158!), possibly more if you need more USB extension cables (or want USB 3.0 instead of the default USB 2.0 extensions) and/or a USB 3.0 host controller card to spread the load of all those camera frames because Oculus wasn't smart enough to do what NaturalPoint did with TrackIR and embed an ASIC to just send the processed IR blob coordinates to the PC for tracking calculations instead of raw camera frames. Saves a lot of bandwidth and CPU usage that way.

The costs add up fast, but then again, the Vive needs a $99 deluxe audio strap just to approach the Rift's comfort and ease of use. Ideally, we'd have a Rift-quality HMD and controllers with Valve Lighthouse tracking, but that won't happen any time soon.

Honestly, it's probably a good thing he didn't review Oculus Touch earlier. 1.10 had some tracking issues, 1.11 effectively made the whole damn month of February unplayable for most Touch users (myself included), and it's only now with 1.12 out that Oculus tracking is good enough for the most part, especially with three/four-sensor setups.

As for Robo Recall, he should probably wait until they officially patch the game so that teleporting doesn't leave you horribly disoriented in 360-degree room-scale. The rotation upon teleport is clever for front-facing users, but it's also what screws you over when you don't have to face forward all the time. The "turn around" message is disabled for three and four-sensor setups, yet you'll still be disoriented if you aren't facing forward in your physical playspace, since when you rotate your teleport pointer, you're pointing where the physical forward location in your playspace is, not pointing relative to your current viewpoint.

Fortunately, there are mods for this and even Onward-style analog stick movement. Unfortunately, using mods means your scores are invalid for the leaderboard and you can't proceed through the game. We'll just have to wait for an official update.

Three sensors is not enough. Take it from a guy who just got his fourth sensor (current maximum that Oculus allows) and noticed an immediate improvement in the previously sensor-less corner, particularly for two-handed weapons in games like Onward, where even the slightest jump is enough to throw off your aim at at distance. Now it's what I imagine to be pretty close to Vive-level tracking reliability (still have yet to demo a Vive, I admit).

How are your sensors configured? I have my 3 sensors mounted to the ceiling at each corner of the room aimed 45 degrees towards the floor. I can sit/crawl on the floor without any tracking issues.

How are your sensors configured? I have my 3 sensors mounted to the ceiling at each corner of the room aimed 45 degrees towards the floor. I can sit/crawl on the floor without any tracking issues.
They're all somewhat high up in the corners, albeit not ceiling-level yet. I don't have camera wall mounts or permission to install them just yet.

Getting four camera mounts and a USB 3.0 host card is the next step toward optimizing my VR setup.

We need a company to develop a headset as refined as oculus, but with the tracking of the vive.

That'll quite possibly be the LG headset, prototype demoed at GDC. That combined with the knuckles controller that Valve is developing in conjunction with their three firstparty VR games. Perhaps they'll both come out around the same time.

VR is just going to keep getting better.

Last edited:
One thing that has worked well for me is to press my upper lip towards my nose (VR duck face) and inhale strongly through my nose. My lip sort of seals the nose opening.

This floods the headset with cool air (from all sides) and provides some relief from the heat.

I find myself doing it periodically and don't get the fogged lenses like i used to.

I've not been told I have an unusual face shape (lol), so I imagine this will work for others.

Oddly I only get foggy lenses after someone else has used it.
I must sweat more elsewhere!

Oddly I only get foggy lenses after someone else has used it.
I must sweat more elsewhere!

With the Vive, I only get fog when the device is cold... After it warms up, no issues.

I think part of the reason why it's so easy to sweat with these things is that you're sealing a warm electronic device to your face.

Just got my Rift + Touch setup yesterday. Robo Recall may be the most fun I've ever had in a video game. The fact that you get Robo Recall for free with Touch makes the controllers an absolute bargin at 100 bucks. That's a game I'd pay a decent amount for anyway.

Just got my Rift + Touch setup yesterday. Robo Recall may be the most fun I've ever had in a video game. The fact that you get Robo Recall for free with Touch makes the controllers an absolute bargain at 100 bucks. That's a game I'd pay a decent amount for anyway.
Robo Recall has been stealing time away from all my other games because it's just that addictive. Never has scrapping 'bots been so much fun!

Heck, this video could sell just about anyone on the game:

On top of that, I'm pretty sure you still get Dead and Buried for free game-wise, and if you're a creative sort, Medium (Sculptris/ZBrush-esque sculpt modeling) and Quill (Mischief-esque 3D infinite canvas vector painting) as well. Lots of free software to be had just upon activating Touch on your Oculus account, though you may have to close and re-open the Oculus app to get it to show that you own them already.

Now if you could bring yourself to actually let go of Robo Recall for a moment and give them a shot... that's the hard part!

Back