Oculus Quest 2

Great choice of games!! If you can find a good group, Walkabout Mini Golf is one of the best social experiences in VR.

And going by the games you picked and seem to be enjoying so far, I would recommended In Death Unchained. Get the Quest 2 version. It's tough but so satisfying.
Those are two of my top 3 games on the Quest 2. If you love real golf, give Golf+ a shot. It's fantastic.

Reactions: zrikz
like this
Clarifications to confirmed usability of VR for one-eyed individuals:

I am looking for my first VR set, and this seems to fit the bill. Question though. I only have one eye that functions. Will I still get the 3D effects and such?

Or will it be like those red and blue 3D glasses that did nothing for me?
Quest 2 aims to mirror real life, so your disability is mirrored into VR.

The experience of one-eye people in VR is that they are, indeed able to use VR -- they just don't get anything better than they already do in real life.

VR indeed mimics real life much better than say, Real3D Cinema Glasses. It's much better than red/blue 3D.

If you have only one eye then obviously you do not have stereoscopic vision just like you won't have one in real life. But where VR differs from 3d glasses is the feeling of being inside the game (stuff having lifelike proportions, feeling of NPCs being there next to you etc...) and that should be the same with or without stereoscopic vision. What I am worried about is the FOV. Quest 2 has rather small FOV, around the size of diving goggles, and if you have one eye blind then even that is halved and there is not much binocular overlap from the side of your functioning eye into the side of the blind eye. You'd have to move your head around more to see what is happening at the side of your blind eye. 🤔
No offense meant, but it doesn't sound like you are the target market for VR then given your medical history.

One-eyed "stereoscopy" behavior refers to the "parallax" experience by tilting head left and right, and such, to have a "faux stereoscopic" experience, to help judge distances by how much parallax occurs during head tilting left/right.

This is how one-eyed people judge distances in a "faux stereoscopic" way -- more object movement means the object is nearer.

The great news is that, YES, you can still do it in modern 6-degrees-of-freedom VR -- you just tilt your head left/right and you still get the parallax effect you already do in real life. You can't do it on an Oculus Go (3dof), but you can definitely do it on a Quest or a Quest 2.

In other words: VR aims to be a mirror of your real life vision & limitations.

It's not a perfect mirror, but the experience of other 1-eyed people who used VR, is that they indeed, are able to use VR. It can be helpful to mask-off one of the VR lens, to improve the experience for the other eye -- much like wearing an eye patch. Also, many one-eyed people wear an eye patch, and you can do that on a VR headset by using electrical tape to cover one of the lens. Same effect as an eye patch. As in real life patch, masking-off a VR lens, does exactly the same thing in prevent the "eye searing bright" or the "whiteout effect" or the "blizzard effect" or the "blurry view" or the "wandering eye effect" from distracting the good eye for blind eyes that still detects some semblance of light (in varying indistinct sensitivities).

The better VR is at mimicking real life, the more identical your disability is in VR as it is in real life.

The goal of a good VR headset is "VR = real life", and Quest 2 fulfills that for one-eyed people especially if that sole eye is a perfectly normal eye. If your best eye is abnormal there may be problems -- just as is for people with other vision abnormalities (e.g. weird prescription that current VR lens can't accomodate). But if your sole eye is normal, or easily corrected (like prescription VR lens etc), VR will work just as it does in real life.

TL;DR: Most one-eyed people have no issue with Quest 2 for most VR apps, as long as they have a well-functioning eye. You just don't get any extra new benefit or new vision superpowers in VR versus real life. But your existing real-life one-eye techniques (head tilting to use parallax to judge distances) can be used just fine in modern VR.

Last edited:
summary: maybe 5 to 10 years we'll see some meaningful upgrade, vari-focal being maybe the first big one, but they are also working on HDR, retinal-res screens, etc... and Mark still has a hard-on for the VR meeting-room app despite nobody else caring...

varifocal - allows your eye to focus at different distances instead of one set distance that all current headsets use, actually makes a bigger difference than you would think. They have real prototypes, but are working on perfecting it and making it cheaper.

HDR - their test unit does 20,000 nits to the eye, basically using a car headlight with dual layer LCD. It makes things seem a lot more real. It's not really a prototype or anything, just for research purposes and they could set it to any peak brightness up to 20k nits.
All the optics and having to strobe to remove motion blur, etc.make it so you only get about 1% of the brightness a backlight can output to the eyes, which is why headsets aren't very bright yet. A 1000 nit light would only give you a 100 nit image to your eyes.

"Retina" resolution - they have a super high resolution screen, but just for testing purposes, not really a prototype. For text to look nice you need even higher resolution than monitors and TVs. On monitors you can use true type font to make text look nicer, but on a headset you can be looking from any angle so you just need to overcome that with even higher resolution.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Picked up a 64GB Quest 2 from a coworker damn near NIB for $100 for my wife's birthday Saturday. Immediately added the BoboVR v2Pro strap and the VRCover athletic facial interface, stock strap is hot garbage. Loving it, big upgrade from the Lenovo Explorer, and AirLink is just the bee's tits.

Also, I know it's an older post now from jordan12 , my wife was born blind in her left eye, can see light, dark, that's about it. She plays in VR more than me and loves it. Chief Blur Buster nailed it as always. She's kicked my ass in more than a couple rounds of Beat Saber.

Picked up a 64GB Quest 2 from a coworker damn near NIB for $100 for my wife's birthday Saturday. Immediately added the BoboVR v2Pro strap and the VRCover athletic facial interface, stock strap is hot garbage. Loving it, big upgrade from the Lenovo Explorer, and AirLink is just the bee's tits.

Also, I know it's an older post now from jordan12 , my wife was born blind in her left eye, can see light, dark, that's about it. She plays in VR more than me and loves it. Chief Blur Buster nailed it as always. She's kicked my ass in more than a couple rounds of Beat Saber.
If you don't have any controller grips I highly recommend getting some. I have the VR Cover controller grips. It's really nice not having to constantly grip your controllers.

I also have the Bobo M2 strap and love it.
I have some other brand of athletic facial interface with air vents that's similar. I often use my headset to work out and it would fog up with the default interface. Now I can sweat like crazy and it still never fogs up.

If you don't have any controller grips I highly recommend getting some. I have the VR Cover controller grips. It's really nice not having to constantly grip your controllers.

I also have the Bobo M2 strap and love it.
I have some other brand of athletic facial interface with air vents that's similar. I often use my headset to work out and it would fog up with the default interface. Now I can sweat like crazy and it still never fogs up.

What apps/games do you use to workout? I desperately need to get back in shape.

The Move app can track your calories and activity time which is pretty nice. You can set goals and it will track them for you. You can turn on a tiny overlay that shows calories and activity time in the corner when you look up.

I mostly play beat saber, playing on expert+ works pretty well. Some songs are better than others. I like the 360 degree songs the best because they have you move around more.

I'm actually looking to buy a new game good for a workout, but not sure what I want yet though.

I'm actually looking to buy a new game good for a workout, but not sure what I want yet though.
Beat Saber isn't very good for getting in shape. The problem with it is if you get good at it, you move less as you are mainly doing wrist movements. It might be ok as a warmup, that's it.
Pistol Whip: is actually a much better game for fitness than Beat Saber. Especially if you squat when you are ducking. There is a surprisingly lot of movement in this game.
Crazy Kung fu: Great workout game, especially in later levels.
The big one, as Modi123 said, is the Thrill of the Fight. It's a real workout. If you can go a few rounds at the hardest difficulty, you can safely say you are in shape!! :)

I haven't tried out any of the subscription fitness apps like Supernatural or Fitxr. So I can't comment on them.

Reactions: noko
like this
+1 for Thrill Of The Fight. You will sweat like there is no tomorrow. Excellent cardio. Just be careful, it is basically Shadow Boxing with a game on top and same safety practices apply. As in, warm up and avoid extending fully when punching as that may put a lot of stress on your shoulders.

There is also a new game called Dragon Fist : VR Kung Fu that looks very interesting. Maybe more of your jam if you are into Hong Kong kung fu movies instead of normal boxing. I have not trird it yet but I am going to. It is a PCVR game first and foremost but it is also available for Quest 2 via Applab.

+1 to Thrill of the Fight, I've had to quit a fight on my stool as I was too worn out to go on to the next round. I started sitting and used a towel between rounds to recover, but admittedly it was early on and I was fighting like a spaz and punching myself out. If you get to some of the longer fights, covering up and holding help you get through tired spots in rounds without extending a bunch of energy. Super fun and amazing work out, but pace yourself.

Picked up thrill last night.. Sheeeesh yeah you get into it lol. Dripping down my face. Definitely tried to punch too hard my arms are sore already.

Watched my old-ass jaded brother play Thrill of Fight, never seen him become so agile and passionate about anything, ever, first time he broke a sweat in years probably, he seemed frightened even. It was hilarious as he then tried to deny being all that into it... "Dude, you looked like a crazed bear mama protecting her cubs from an onslaught of poisonous bees"...

Just put in for a return on my bobovr m2 pro strap and the m1 upgrade kit that just arrived and ordered the new m2 pro plus kit that comes with 2 batteries and a battery dock for $10 more than I paid for the others.

Looks great, supposed to be here Sunday.

BOBOVR M2 Plus Head Strap Twin Battery Combo,Compatible with Quest 2,Recirculating Power Supply System,Dual Battery Pack + Magnetic Charging Dock https://a.co/d/7D6whQY

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Heads up, mandatory FB login requirement is now being removed from Quest 2 new Meta account is replacing it. Of course it is the same thing but at least what you do in Facebook and VR are no longer linked.

Picked up thrill last night.. Sheeeesh yeah you get into it lol. Dripping down my face. Definitely tried to punch too hard my arms are sore already.

Yeah it warns you not to fully extend your arms and I was constantly thinking about it but still ended up fully extending them. I was soar for the next day, but I got the hang of it on 2nd time playing and felt much less soar after.

Reactions: zrikz
like this
Heads up, mandatory FB login requirement is now being removed from Quest 2 new Meta account is replacing it. Of course it is the same thing but at least what you do in Facebook and VR are no longer linked.

Yeah, I got the developers email yesterday. Interesting, I was wondering how they were going to make the change.

Reactions: MaZa
like this
But was forced to move my Oculus account to FB. It's already linked. Any point really migrating to a Meta account? May be ok for new users.

But was forced to move my Oculus account to FB. It's already linked. Any point really migrating to a Meta account? May be ok for new users.

Safety. As long as your Quest 2 is linked to your FB profile and IF the dumb as rocks AI decides to ban your Facebook account for reason or another you will not lose access to your games.
Either way I think this is mandatory now if I understood correctly, you will be guided into making a Meta accound for VR stuff and everything VR related is getting transferred into it.

New strap is awesome. Amazon lost the first one in shipping so sent me another. Before the replacement arrived the original showed up, then yesterday the "replacement" so now I've got 2.

Played Thrill of the fight for the first time... wow. That's a workout for sure. So much intensity. Got into some LA Noir VR after that using air link. Very cool to see one of my all time favorite games like that, however driving is a bit nauseating.

Update: Thrill of the fight is kicking my ass. Using muscles I haven't used for years. I used to train in a boxing gym, lot of bag work, some sparring. I did 5 rounds in Thrill three days ago and my shoulders are still sore. I need to figure our some way to have a real stool for between rounds haha

Update: Thrill of the fight is kicking my ass. Using muscles I haven't used for years. I used to train in a boxing gym, lot of bag work, some sparring. I did 5 rounds in Thrill three days ago and my shoulders are still sore. I need to figure our some way to have a real stool for between rounds haha
This is gonna be one of the first purchases I make for mine when it gets here!

Just bought thrill of the fight and RE4....suppose I should pick up golf+ as well
Definitely pick up Golf+. I play that game more than any other. Plus, it's cross-play, so if you purchase it on the Quest you can also play it on the PC, if you'd like. I do that with Air Link and it looks much better.

The first time I played it I almost felt like puking after a 3 round fight. It wasn’t VR related, I just went way too hard and was too out of shape.

Man what a fucking pain in the ass facebook tie in is.

When I bought the Q2 I could not use my paypal email because I had tied that into a fake facebook account for a fake hot chick eons ago, so could not authenticate.

I created another "real" facebook account on my other email, but for some reason that was not working.....so I had ended up making a THIRD facebook account tied in with my phone number. Well that was like 2 phones ago and I have forgotten the password. No problem just do password recovery with SMS text message sent right? WRONG....I dont receive any of the SMS texts with the code for PW reset. Everything online says ohhh just put in your email if you can't get SMS text....AHHHHHHHH...there is no fucking EMAIL gahhh.

So, good news is that account is still logged in on my Q2 lol. I can play and access my games, even buy more games....but if I ever log out or it resets me i'm screwed.

Anybody know of any solution to be able to receive those SmS texts so I can reset my PW? Or have any idea what I can do to link this account with a new email?

They should be fucking SHOT requiring facebook / meta tie in...honestly what the fuck.

Man what a fucking pain in the ass facebook tie in is.

When I bought the Q2 I could not use my paypal email because I had tied that into a fake facebook account for a fake hot chick eons ago, so could not authenticate.

I created another "real" facebook account on my other email, but for some reason that was not working.....so I had ended up making a THIRD facebook account tied in with my phone number. Well that was like 2 phones ago and I have forgotten the password. No problem just do password recovery with SMS text message sent right? WRONG....I dont receive any of the SMS texts with the code for PW reset. Everything online says ohhh just put in your email if you can't get SMS text....AHHHHHHHH...there is no fucking EMAIL gahhh.

So, good news is that account is still logged in on my Q2 lol. I can play and access my games, even buy more games....but if I ever log out or it resets me i'm screwed.

Anybody know of any solution to be able to receive those SmS texts so I can reset my PW? Or have any idea what I can do to link this account with a new email?

They should be fucking SHOT requiring facebook / meta tie in...honestly what the fuck.
I'm glad that Meta is decoupling Facebook from Quest 2, but your situation sure sounds like a mess.

You need to read up on those "How to regain access to Facebook" HOWTOs to figure out all the workflows.

There are other methods -- unlink that facebook account and link a different facebook account. It's byzantine but possible:
reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/qilkwy/you_can_unlink_your_facebook_account_now/

If you ever get logged out, people have succeeded regaining access via a different (real) Facebook account by opening a ticket:
reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/qilkwy/comment/hil7myf/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Some useful relevant reads allowing multiple Facebook accounts logged on one Quest 2 headset. This can allow you to preserve access by adding an additional Facebook account (for now).
novint.com/can-i-transfer-my-oculus-account-to-another-facebook-account/

For a successful complete unlink, you may need to do some agent roulette (try 2 or 3 agents) before finding one that understands your situation. That department wouldn't care whether your account was real/fake because they can still authenticate if you're actually holding the Quest 2 full of inaccessible paid games -- it's their interest to keep you a Quest 2 customer.

After the disastrously PR blunder earlier, that Oculus department (er, Meta VR) now have processes, thankfully, for your situation!

Recent Oculus firmwares are still capable of unlinked mode (upon special intervention by Oculus support), which will allow you to relink your games to a different account. They had to do this, because of situations like yours....

Infuriating.

I don't like the linking but I'm glad Oculus (erm, Meta VR) now has processes now via the VR departments' tech support system.

Last edited:
I'm glad that Meta is decoupling Facebook from Quest 2, but your situation sure sounds like a mess.

You need to read up on those "How to regain access to Facebook" HOWTOs to figure out all the workflows.

There are other methods -- unlink that facebook account and link a different facebook account. It's byzantine but possible:
reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/qilkwy/you_can_unlink_your_facebook_account_now/

If you ever get logged out, people have succeeded regaining access via a different (real) Facebook account by opening a ticket:
reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/qilkwy/comment/hil7myf/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Some useful relevant reads allowing multiple Facebook accounts logged on one Quest 2 headset. This can allow you to preserve access by adding an additional Facebook account (for now).
novint.com/can-i-transfer-my-oculus-account-to-another-facebook-account/

For a successful complete unlink, you may need to do some agent roulette (try 2 or 3 agents) before finding one that understands your situation. That department wouldn't care whether your account was real/fake because they can still authenticate if you're actually holding the Quest 2 full of inaccessible paid games -- it's their interest to keep you a Quest 2 customer.

After the disastrously PR blunder earlier, that Oculus department (er, Meta VR) now have processes, thankfully, for your situation!

Recent Oculus firmwares are still capable of unlinked mode (upon special intervention by Oculus support), which will allow you to relink your games to a different account. They had to do this, because of situations like yours....

Infuriating.

I don't like the linking but I'm glad Oculus (erm, Meta VR) now has processes now via the VR departments' tech support system.

Thank you Mark! Really appreciate the help :)
Yea...Ill see if I can untangle this mess...I just bought the 156 meta version for the 6 soon to be 7 year old, so I'm gonna be compounding the situation with another account haha

giphy.gif

On another note I have been enjoying Golf+ way way way more than expected. They nailed the feel and physics of the game pretty good. I was missing a good golf game after selling my Golden Tee Fore arcade cab.....man this blows GT away. Even the new PGA golden tee 4k can't compete imho.

For us middle age guys this alone makes vr investment worth it. Only gripe, I Can't wait until we get next level graphics like PGA Tour 2k21 has.

RE4 has been a ton of fun...I never played pancake version so its fresh to me.

Thrill of the fight is great and kicks my ass 😆

I can't wait until next Gen headsets.

Spent most of yesterday waiting on downloads...
Just played Fallout 4 VR with the VR Essentials pack. Didn't get very far out of the vault but good lord I am hooked. If an old game can give you that level of immersion, I can't wait to get to HL:A.
Just that 1.5hrs and i'm sold. Thrill of the Fight is amazing too!
The lady is gonna order one of those headsets rGmekanic linked. The factory strap puts so much pressure on my face lol.

Just played Fallout 4 VR with the VR Essentials pack. Didn't get very far out of the vault but good lord I am hooked. If an old game can give you that level of immersion, I can't wait to get to HL:A.
The lady is gonna order one of those headsets rGmekanic linked. The factory strap puts so much pressure on my face lol.
Thanks...now I just ordered fallout 4 Vr....what is the VR essentials pack you speak of?

Thanks...now I just ordered fallout 4 Vr....what is the VR essentials pack you speak of?
It's a set of mods to fix Bethesda's normal mess ups etc, as well as make smoother gameplay/more content etc. Ya know. mods. :)
This is the link to the guide: If you follow it 1:1 you shouldn't have any issues.
If you don't have DLC for the regular Fallout 4 (often called flat or pancake apparently in the vr world) You'll need it. Snag a GOTY edition of regular fallout 4 for 20 on steam or maybe even less on the other places and it comes with all the DLC.

HL:A is really the VR title everyone should play first.

Back