Oculus Quest 2

Sorry, I didn't read your signature!! It's odd, Ampere cards normally work very well with AirLink.

You don't need a USB C port to connect with a cable. Anker and Kiwi design make cables that are USB A to USB C for the Quest 2.

Thanks! I didn't know that.

Help a dad out here. My son has a Quest 2 but either a gtx 960 or 970 card in an old(ish) asus g11cd system. I’ve been debating on trying to upgrade him to an nvidia 3050 but not sure it’ll be worth it overall. Technically HE has to earn the funds, so anything much beyond a 3050 isn’t in the budget. Thoughts?

Help a dad out here. My son has a Quest 2 but either a gtx 960 or 970 card in an old(ish) asus g11cd system. I’ve been debating on trying to upgrade him to an nvidia 3050 but not sure it’ll be worth it overall. Technically HE has to earn the funds, so anything much beyond a 3050 isn’t in the budget. Thoughts?
A used GTX 1080ti will cost as much as a new RTX 3050 and have twice the performance, assuming your PSU can handle it.

A GTX 960 or 970 can do VR, but a 960 is really as low as you can go and still be playable on lowest settings.

A used GTX 1080ti will cost as much as a new RTX 3050 and have twice the performance, assuming your PSU can handle it.

A GTX 960 or 970 can do VR, but a 960 is really as low as you can go and still be playable on lowest settings.
A 1080 ti is not even remotely close to being twice as fast as the 3050. On average it is less than 50% faster.

The problem is a balance of availability and cost. Neither are really good right now, but I have a better shot at getting a 3050 than a ”not beat to shit with mining” 1080 ti.

The problem is a balance of availability and cost. Neither are really good right now, but I have a better shot at getting a 3050 than a ”not beat to shit with mining” 1080 ti.
What price are you looking at for the 3050? The only price I see for one in stock that is not a complete ripoff is $369.

350ish is tolerable. I’m within 2 hours of a few microcenters too so I may get lucky and snag one there.

I am looking for my first VR set, and this seems to fit the bill. Question though. I only have one eye that functions. Will I still get the 3D effects and such?

Or will it be like those red and blue 3D glasses that did nothing for me?

I am looking for my first VR set, and this seems to fit the bill. Question though. I only have one eye that functions. Will I still get the 3D effects and such?

If you have only one eye then obviously you do not have stereoscopic vision just like you won't have one in real life. But where VR differs from 3d glasses is the feeling of being inside the game (stuff having lifelike proportions, feeling of NPCs being there next to you etc...) and that should be the same with or without stereoscopic vision. What I am worried about is the FOV. Quest 2 has rather small FOV, around the size of diving goggles, and if you have one eye blind then even that is halved and there is not much binocular overlap from the side of your functioning eye into the side of the blind eye. You'd have to move your head around more to see what is happening at the side of your blind eye. 🤔

If you have only one eye then obviously you do not have stereoscopic vision just like you won't have one in real life. But where VR differs from 3d glasses is the feeling of being inside the game (stuff having lifelike proportions, feeling of NPCs being there next to you etc...) and that should be the same with or without stereoscopic vision. What I am worried about is the FOV. Quest 2 has rather small FOV, around the size of diving goggles, and if you have one eye blind then even that is halved and there is not much binocular overlap from the side of your functioning eye into the side of the blind eye. You'd have to move your head around more to see what is happening at the side of your blind eye. 🤔
The FOV isn't that different from most other headsets unless you compare it to some of the Pimax ones. You nose blocks most of your overlapping vision IRL so I don't think it would make that big of a difference for overlap, it's mostly just peripheal vision that the FOV is limitting.

I would say go for the Quest 2 and try VR out. 6 degrees of freedom, being able to walk around, using your arms and your hands are a big part of what makes VR great.

I would definitely give it a try. The price is right, and if it doesn't "work" for you, you won't be out much re-selling it.

A heads up, Pico is finally coming to western market! The headset is basically Quest 2 without FB/Meta leashes and as a bonus for PCVR it has a proper native Displayport connection. No streaming so you can dedicate 100% of the GPU for rendering the game and no compression artifacts. Wireless streaming is still a possiblitiy but for best performance and image quality having a proper DP connection is a god send. 🙏 Price is a little bit higher than Quest 2 256gb version but it comes with a sort of battery strap stock and all the cables you need in box. So it actually is a slightly better deal that Q2! Downside of course is that it lacks the Oculus exclusives but there are games available from day 1.

That said, as a Q2 owner this would be 90% sidestep and probably won't buy it but for someone who still does not have a VR headset and especially is vary of Facebook this just might be a no brainer.

Last edited:

when you say you have only one eye that fonction,do you have amblyopia (lazy eye) or your eye is completly blind?

for my part,i have amblyopia and vr work perfectly for me...i wasn't sure and i have try vr from a friend and was happy that all was good.so i got a vr the next day :)
otherwise,even if your eye is completly blind,im sure that will work too

Last edited:
A heads up, Pico is finally coming to western market! The headset is basically Quest 2 without FB/Meta leashes and as a bonus for PCVR it has a proper native Displayport connection. No streaming so you can dedicate 100% of the GPU for rendering the game and no compression artifacts. Wireless streaming is still a possiblitiy but for best performance and image quality having a proper DP connection is a god send. 🙏 Price is a little bit higher than Quest 2 256gb version but it comes with a sort of battery strap stock and all the cables you need in box. So it actually is a slightly better deal that Q2! Downside of course is that it lacks the Oculus exclusives but there are games available from day 1.

That said, as a Q2 owner this would be 90% sidestep and probably won't buy it but for someone who still does not have a VR headset and especially is vary of Facebook this just might be a no brainer.

Quest 2 is 1.5 years old at this point, I would think that only a few holdouts that irrationally hate FB/Meta or lack the self control to just not post anything on social media would be purchasers tbh....

Quest 2 is 1.5 years old at this point, I would think that only a few holdouts that irrationally hate FB/Meta or lack the self control to just not post anything on social media would be purchasers tbh....

You are not wrong. This is a little bit late to the party. But then again after 1.5 years there is no other competition in sight. G2 has higher resolution but is held back by its WMR dependency and has no standalone, and upcoming Pimax sets are ridiculously expensive. It is nice to see real competition that are actually affordable, Quest 2 is not alone anymore.

when you say you have only one eye that fonction,do you have amblyopia (lazy eye) or your eye is completly blind?

for my part,i have amblyopia and vr work perfectly for me...i wasn't sure and i have try vr from a friend and was happy that all was good.so i got a vr the next day :)
otherwise,even if your eye is completly blind,im sure that will work too
My retina never fully developed, so my sight in the left eye is basically blind. Basically everything is always massively blurry and cannot be corrected. And because of this, it moves around and does whatever it wants. Cannot control its movement unless I close my right eye.

Thanks for posting this. I've been idly considering VR for a long time, but they all look kind of crappy for how much you pay, and I'm certainly not willing to give Facebook any data that I don't need to. This might fit the bill for me, older tech or not. I just have a first gen HP MR headset that I got on the cheap from a hot deals thread, and I wouldn't really play anything seriously on it. Frankly it sucks.

"Irrationally hate" a company with questionable data mining practices that has been caught doing shady things many times in the past.

Weird take, but okay.

Reactions: MaZa
like this
Thanks for posting this. I've been idly considering VR for a long time, but they all look kind of crappy for how much you pay, and I'm certainly not willing to give Facebook any data that I don't need to. This might fit the bill for me, older tech or not. I just have a first gen HP MR headset that I got on the cheap from a hot deals thread, and I wouldn't really play anything seriously on it. Frankly it sucks.

"Irrationally hate" a company with questionable data mining practices that has been caught doing shady things many times in the past.

Weird take, but okay.

IF you hate Facebook then you won't be buying the Pico Neo Link either. Pico is owned by ByteDance, a company far worse than Facebook for data mining.

My retina never fully developed, so my sight in the left eye is basically blind. Basically everything is always massively blurry and cannot be corrected. And because of this, it moves around and does whatever it wants. Cannot control its movement unless I close my right eye.

No offense meant, but it doesn't sound like you are the target market for VR then given your medical history.

IF you hate Facebook then you won't be buying the Pico Neo Link either. Pico is owned by ByteDance, a company far worse than Facebook for data mining.

They do not require a Tiktok account however and if you use it as PCVR headset alone then AFAIK you will not need a Pico account either, it functions as a dumb SteamVR headset too.

Well I didn't do any research on it yet since it will be a while before it releases...

They do not require a Tiktok account however and if you use it as PCVR headset alone then AFAIK you will not need a Pico account either, it functions as a dumb SteamVR headset too.

I hope this is the case. Hopefully absolutely no data sent back... then I'd be happy...

I hope this is the case. Hopefully absolutely no data sent back... then I'd be happy...

Just replying to both these things together. You have to install their PCVR client. You really think that the worst data collecting company in the world is not going to be sending data back?

It's a moot point anyway, they aren't available for sale in the US and there are only 22K units available worldwide in the Beta stage. They are going to decide at the end of the this year what they are doing next.

But, trust me on this, If you are worried about data collection, don't get a headset from Bytedance.

Just replying to both these things together. You have to install their PCVR client. You really think that the worst data collecting company in the world is not going to be sending data back?

It's a moot point anyway, they aren't available for sale in the US and there are only 22K units available worldwide in the Beta stage. They are going to decide at the end of the this year what they are doing next.

But, trust me on this, If you are worried about data collection, don't get a headset from Bytedance.

I did check and you are correct, you do need to install Pico DP Assistant for PCVR. No mention if there is account needed. If not, you can probably just block the software in your Firewall.

Weird take, but okay.

How is it a weird take? If you don't have any social media presence there's no data for them to mine. Exercise self control on social media and it's a non-issue. If you're worried about them mining data on which PC games you're playing and not worried about Valve doing the same exact thing (because they do), then I'd say that's irrational.

How is it a weird take? If you don't have any social media presence there's no data for them to mine. Exercise self control on social media and it's a non-issue. If you're worried about them mining data on which PC games you're playing and not worried about Valve doing the same exact thing (because they do), then I'd say that's irrational.

You're forgetting all of the sensors on it. Frankly they can easily infer your identity by cross referencing it with a bunch of other data, if you take that thing into your house. Just geolocation via IP is already a lot. If it has any sort of spatial sensors, wifi triangulation, etc... yeah.

Just random example from 2 seconds of googling:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/gaimjc/hand_tracking_has_its_own_privacy_notice/

You don't need a social media presence to be datamined. That's not even close to the minimum required. Biological data, your surroundings while you play, etc... make sure you read that wall of text comprising a "privacy" policy, because I sure am not bothering to, nor bothering with the device.

You're forgetting all of the sensors on it. Frankly they can easily infer your identity by cross referencing it with a bunch of other data, if you take that thing into your house. Just geolocation via IP is already a lot. If it has any sort of spatial sensors, wifi triangulation, etc... yeah.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/gaimjc/hand_tracking_has_its_own_privacy_notice/

You don't need a social media presence to be datamined. That's not even close to the minimum required. Biological data, your surroundings while you play, etc... make sure you read that wall of text comprising a "privacy" policy, because I sure am not bothering to, nor bothering with the device.
This. You're effectively strapping Meta's eyes and ears to your face every time you use the Quest 2. Once you take that bombshell into consideration, whatever you are (or aren't) doing on Meta's social media apps (e.g. facebook, instagram) is insanely dwarfed by comparison.

There are still ways to obfuscate some of your personal information as a Quest 2 user depending on how far you're willing to go.

Yawn. Great, so they know where I am (Verizon does too, with a higher def camera, so does Amazon and they can both hear everything, too). And they can get the dimensions of my play space (maybe) along with maybe some of my furniture. So what? How are they going to monetize that (which is all they care about) in a way that is even remotely detrimental to me and unique to the 5 other devices in my house that can collect the same, or more? Being wrapped around the axle about data collection is irrational, unless you'd rather just go back 25 years in tech. Maybe you guys have some super secret shit going on in your room, in which case don't use the oculus, your cell phone, alexa, smart watch, etc etc in that room. Or just suffer with shittier tech and keep your precious (mostly worthless individually) personal data sacrosanct.

VR is not for you.

Yawn. Great, so they know where I am (Verizon does too, with a higher def camera, so does Amazon and they can both hear everything, too). And they can get the dimensions of my play space (maybe) along with maybe some of my furniture. So what? How are they going to monetize that (which is all they care about) in a way that is even remotely detrimental to me and unique to the 5 other devices in my house that can collect the same, or more? Being wrapped around the axle about data collection is irrational, unless you'd rather just go back 25 years in tech. Maybe you guys have some super secret shit going on in your room, in which case don't use the oculus, your cell phone, alexa, smart watch, etc etc in that room. Or just suffer with shittier tech and keep your precious (mostly worthless individually) personal data sacrosanct.
I'm just breaking down your notion that "no social media presence=no data mining on you as an individual." Especially not when a company like Facebook is involved. Whether you find that detrimental or not, or even care, is shifting the goalpost. You're free to whatever opinion you want regarding giving your data over to corporate (followed probably by government) entities. That's a debate neither I nor anyone else really cares to have here.

Personally, I only care about advancements (transformative ones, I guess, broadly speaking) that actually noticeably enrich my life, and the next one I care about (medical aside) is self driving cars. Exchanging my privacy for being able to say, "Alexa set a timer" instead of walking 10 seconds over to the oven and setting one is completely meaningless to me, but being able to read a book while commuting would be something else...

VR is not for you.

The Oculus Quest 2 isn't, and apparently neither is the Pico. I don't see how you can extend it to "all of VR" unless literally all headsets are like this and you can factually demonstrate it.

Last edited:
The Oculus Quest 2 isn't, and apparently neither is the Pico. I don't see how you can extend it to "all of VR" unless literally all headsets are like this and you can factually demonstrate it.

Every VR headset manufacturer collects your data and shares it with third parties and they all use the data they collect for marketing.

Check the privacy policy of any of them, they are all roughly the same.

Just to use your own words.

You can use those words about any VR headset that you will buy. If those are your worries, then VR is not for you.

Every VR headset manufacturer collects your data and shares it with third parties and they all use the data they collect for marketing.

Check the privacy policy of any of them, they are all roughly the same.

Just to use your own words.

You can use those words about any VR headset that you will buy. If those are your worries, then VR is not for you.

This is nonsense. This (though a bit brief) is an old article about it, but all points should still apply. Yes, they all collect data, and yes most of them use it in some manner for marketing. But to begin with, saying "they all do it" and then comparing it Facebook and not only what (/how/how long) they are collecting, but are capable of doing with the data they do collect, is shoddy logic at best. My point isn't just that Facebook collects said data, but it's WHO you're giving it to. Facebook is one of the worst entities (and you're right, perhaps that Tiktok company is as well). Not only because of their track record, but because of the amount of data said track record already gives them at their disposal. The only entity that probably knows more than them about you might be Google. But they don't have a VR headset and are involved in a few less scandals.

I never intended to have this extended of a discussion, it was just a remark about one headset that interested me (initially). If you want to justify to yourself why you let this particular company have all of this, in exchange for your gameplay experience, then by all means. But "everyone collects data" is not equivalent with "everyone collects the same amount data and uses it the same way", and you're not really going to convince me of that unless you actually do fine tooth comb through all of those privacy policies and/or also have some insider information as to how they're using it or handing it off. Facebook has already proven to be unreliable and overreaching.

This is nonsense. This (though a bit brief) is an old article about it, but all points should still apply. Yes, they all collect data, and yes most of them use it in some manner for marketing. But to begin with, saying "they all do it" and then comparing it Facebook and not only what (/how/how long) they are collecting, but are capable of doing with the data they do collect, is shoddy logic at best. My point isn't just that Facebook collects said data, but it's WHO you're giving it to. Facebook is one of the worst entities (and you're right, perhaps that Tiktok company is as well). Not only because of their track record, but because of the amount of data said track record already gives them at their disposal. The only entity that probably knows more than them about you might be Google. But they don't have a VR headset and are involved in a few less scandals.

I never intended to have this extended of a discussion, it was just a remark about one headset that interested me (initially). If you want to justify to yourself why you let this particular company have all of this, in exchange for your gameplay experience, then by all means. But "everyone collects data" is not equivalent with "everyone collects the same amount data and uses it the same way", and you're not really going to convince me of that unless you actually do fine tooth comb through all of those privacy policies and/or also have some insider information as to how they're using it or handing it off. Facebook has already proven to be unreliable and overreaching.

As I said, irrational. Data is data, and your concern seems to be the amount they have and adding any more to it is bad even if it has no bearing on you (or anyone else) individually. That's fine, we all have things we're not rational about (I hate Apple, for example), but probably disqualifies you from giving good advice on it.

As I said, irrational. Data is data, and your concern seems to be the amount they have and adding any more to it is bad even if it has no bearing on you (or anyone else) individually. That's fine, we all have things we're not rational about (I hate Apple, for example), but probably disqualifies you from giving good advice on it.

Again, nonsense. You obviously haven't done any data science or machine learning so you don't understand the significance of what I'm saying or the ethical issues that are brought up with what they do collect, how they collect it, and who they could be giving it to, combined with all of the other data they have on you. That could deserve another 10 page article in and of itself.

But yes I'm getting tired of arguing with you two Facebook apologists even though I came in to briefly comment on one headset that slightly interested me. So I'm blocking both of you. I think that's for all of our best interests here. This is a values-based debate, and I don't feel any pressing need for VR so this debate is certainly not worth my time. Good luck with your "copium", so to speak.

Yeah, get in a parting shot and then block. I'm a director of MLE in a fortune 500 company (not FB) so know the capabilities, but probably more importantly understand how things get prioritized in one - ie it's about money, not values or morals. Ascribing values to a publicly traded company is, well, irrational (again).

Most of the tin foil hat stuff is theoretically possible but would never get prioritized due to either minimal dollar value generation or the LOE/Risk far outstripping any money it could bring (especially due to legal/regulatory concerns). So yeah, they could figure out that you're banging your GF and who she is in the next room over, but if it doesn't make the company any money they would never bother. Think about the stuff banks could do given all the financial info they have about you - way more than FB. But not only won't they do it, but the government would sink them if they tried. The social media companies don't want the government coming in and blowing them up, so they won't do that stuff as it's way too risky for the minimal (and usually negative due to the effort) incremental value it could provide. They'll just keep pushing you ads with a higher click through rate, and maybe worst case scenario pushing some condom ads to your GF and you. Or you know, you could shut your headset off and put it away where the cameras and mics are useless when you're not using it and not worry.

This is nonsense as well. Other may collect it, Facebook weaponizes it.

Sorry, but, where have I justified anything? You are the one with the Privacy concerns. You are the one that made the following statement.

Even that article states they are all selling, oops, sorry, sharing your data with third parties, affiliates and subsidiaries. For example, HTC, they couldn't even find a complete list of who they are sharing Data with. How do we know what happens the data when they they reach these third parties etc? They are all monetizing your data.

I am not making any argument for or against anything been discussed here. I am telling you that if you have concerns about your biometric data, surrounding while you play etc. been "stolen" or getting out there then VR is not for you.

Just here to say I finally pulled the trigger and picked up the Quest 2 + elite strap and battery pack Friday afternoon. It has been a blast. Picked up beat saber, and eleven the ping-pong game. Then used sidequest to mod beat saber and have been loading custom songs up. Ended up picking up walkabout the minigolf game and saturday I installed echo arena. That game is a blast, though after an hour or two of play and then taking off the headset I get some lingering vertigo for about an hour it seems.

The other games are quite fun too, no complaints so far, wasn't sure if I would have as much fun, but I'm pleased with the purchase.

Also bought nock... rocket league meets archery, absolutely horrible at it, but have only played 2 matches. Guess I'll see if I can get better at it, I love rocket league, but this is quite a different beast.

Just here to say I finally pulled the trigger and picked up the Quest 2 + elite strap and battery pack Friday afternoon. It has been a blast. Picked up beat saber, and eleven the ping-pong game. Then used sidequest to mod beat saber and have been loading custom songs up. Ended up picking up walkabout the minigolf game and saturday I installed echo arena. That game is a blast, though after an hour or two of play and then taking off the headset I get some lingering vertigo for about an hour it seems.

The other games are quite fun too, no complaints so far, wasn't sure if I would have as much fun, but I'm pleased with the purchase.

Also bought nock... rocket league meets archery, absolutely horrible at it, but have only played 2 matches. Guess I'll see if I can get better at it, I love rocket league, but this is quite a different beast.

Great choice of games!! If you can find a good group, Walkabout Mini Golf is one of the best social experiences in VR.

And going by the games you picked and seem to be enjoying so far, I would recommended In Death Unchained. Get the Quest 2 version. It's tough but so satisfying.

Reactions: zrikz
like this
Back