Oculus Quest 2

So I was reading a bit and see that an IR illuminator works great since that what it uses. Anybody use one?

So I was reading a bit and see that an IR illuminator works great since that what it uses. Anybody use one?

Never considered that before. Definitely interested.

I've got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZYG89D

Seems to help tracking a little with the lights on, and makes lights-off use entirely feasible. I'm tempted to grab another for the other side of the room to even out the illumination.

You want a nice, wide dispersion pattern, with no hotspots. Aim it so it casts light across the wall, to take advantage of reflected light and avoid blinding the cameras.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ordered 2 IR lights. One for front and one for the back. They will be here Sunday.

I'm using an IR illuminator to play in the dark. Works flawless for me.

By using the passthrough feature, you can get an idea of how good/bad the lightning in your room is from the pov of the Quest (important with IR since your naked eyes can't see it lol).

Last edited:
I wonder if I need more light? I have 2 bulb on and the sliding door blinds open. I am used to my Rift that did not care either way.

Light is important, but don't over do it. What's just as important is that the room you are playing in, isn't all shades of one colour. The cameras need reference points. For example, if you have perfect light but in an all white room, the tracking will be terrible.

Light and contrast is important for the Quest 2. The cameras map out your surroundings by placing virtual markers on areas of contrast to aid in tracking your position. Playing a Quest 2 in an empty black/white room with perfect lighting might sound like an ideal VR space, but without contrast, the HMD will struggle to place useful tracking markers.

haha, replied to his post before reading the whole thread, to find you had already answered him with the same info!! :)

Light and contrast is important for the Quest 2. The cameras map out your surroundings by placing virtual markers on areas of contrast to aid in tracking your position. Playing a Quest 2 in an empty black/white room with perfect lighting might sound like an ideal VR space, but without contrast, the HMD will struggle to place useful tracking markers.
That’s true.

Quest 2 doesn’t handle facing a featureless blank wall very well (e.g. empty unfurnished room with no windows and only a single light fixture above), and goes dramatically worse with dim light in featureless rooms.

So it helps if there’s at least a textured floor, computer tower, etc) within view of at least one or two cameras, but preferably all 4 at the same time for maximum accuracy. Even posters (or black tape) on bright blank walls, seem to help a fair bit.

Think of the 4 camera sensors on a Quest 2 is sort of like equivalents of redundant mouse-tracking sensors, but without their built-in light source.

So the right contrasty/textured room is just like selecting the right mousepad — jitterfree mouse, jitterfree Quest 2.

If you optimize correctly for it, I haven’t seen any VR headset do “hands-in-front” tracking as well as a Quest 2 can at three-figure prices, while simultaneously keeping you extremely accurate in a large RoomScale at the same time. It’s pretty uncannily accurate in a high-contrast well-lit room, especially with your hands/controllers contrasting from the background.

If you hate bathing a room in bright light — then even three pieces or four pieces of well-lit furniture/RGB decorations/nightlights/christmas lights (preferably PWM-free)/etc makes a big difference in a dark room — Quest 2 just need to hone onto some high contrast reference objects.

For example; If you like playing less-precision-important VR Sierra Quest games (e.g. Down The Rabbit Hole) while lying down on a sofa or bed, then a string of christmas lights along one wall is all you need — there might be some jitter, but produces enough light to activate Quest 2 tracking without room-too-dark notifications.

You can also spread around your favourite illuminated/RGB/nightlight decorations (stuff already lying around) — one on a bookshelf, another plugged as a nightlight, and yet more strung along the ceiling, or whatever. Making sure that all 360 degree rotations, your cameras are always in view of at least 2 or 3 RGB decorations simultaneously. That kinda fixes tracking right up.

IR illuminators also work too — another good tip — use passthrough feature to see what looks like areas of solid white or solid black (if facing one direction has lots of features like a window/computer/chair/desk, but a different direction is a blank wall), position your IR illuminators in the middle of your blank areas (wall sized areas of solid color). That may require mounting IR illuminators on the wall or a shelf, to interrupt the blankness too. If you have a desktop monitor in front, that’s a good light source, so put your IR illuminators elsewhere (e.g. left side, right side) more featureless than a computer desk with a glaring monitor.

That said, at the end of the day — if you’re wanting surgeon-quality tracking right down to the exact millimeter — bathe the room in contrast and light!! To go surgeon quality tracking, I need a bunch of really bright LED lightbulbs (or so), one to light up each wall, and one overhead — to get some of the surgeon quality tracking in a 10x10 room. I fit a ceiling fan with three 1200-lumen (3600 lumens worth in three 100-watt replacement LED bulbs) and that made a miraculous difference.

This is overkill, but a method that produces better tracking than the original Rift. Most people don’t really need that tracking quality improvement, but it’s there if you want rock-stable hands-in-front tracking whiel anywhere in your ~10x10 or ~12x12 roomscale. (I wonder how many IR illuminators is needed in order to match the rock-stable tracking of a cieling fan filled with 3600 lumens of 100-watt replacement LEDs!)

Last edited:
That’s true.

Quest 2 doesn’t handle facing a featureless blank wall very well (e.g. empty unfurnished room with no windows and only a single light fixture above), and goes dramatically worse with dim light in featureless rooms.

So it helps if there’s at least a textured floor, computer tower, etc) within view of at least one or two cameras, but preferably all 4 at the same time for maximum accuracy. Even posters (or black tape) on bright blank walls, seem to help a fair bit.

Think of the 4 camera sensors on a Quest 2 is sort of like equivalents of redundant mouse-tracking sensors, but without their built-in light source.

So the right contrasty/textured room is just like selecting the right mousepad — jitterfree mouse, jitterfree Quest 2.

If you optimize correctly for it, I haven’t seen any VR headset do “hands-in-front” tracking as well as a Quest 2 can at three-figure prices, while simultaneously keeping you extremely accurate in a large RoomScale at the same time. It’s pretty uncannily accurate in a high-contrast well-lit room, especially with your hands/controllers contrasting from the background.

If you hate bathing a room in bright light — then even three pieces or four pieces of well-lit furniture/RGB decorations/nightlights/christmas lights (preferably PWM-free)/etc makes a big difference in a dark room — Quest 2 just need to hone onto some high contrast reference objects.

For example; If you like playing less-precision-important VR Sierra Quest games (e.g. Down The Rabbit Hole) while lying down on a sofa or bed, then a string of christmas lights along one wall is all you need — there might be some jitter, but produces enough light to activate Quest 2 tracking without room-too-dark notifications. (IR illuminators also work too — another good tip)

But if you’re wanting surgeon-quality tracking right down to the exact millimeter — bathe the room in contrast and light!!
Also need to keep in mind that the cameras aren't RGB -- they're B&W without an IR filter. So if you're using IR illuminators as your primary light source, you're going to want to sanity-check in passthrough mode that your contrast markers are as contrast-y as you think they are.

I've seen a fair number of pure black fabrics turn pure-white when the lights go down. Everything seems to go at least a little off. Also, probably best not to look too closely at yourself in IR. It's not pretty.

Ordered 2 IR lights. One for front and one for the back. They will be here Sunday.
If your computer monitor is at front, that’s probably already automatically a Quest 2 tracking reference (because the monitor is a bright object to the Quest 2 cameras) — so, instead put the IR illuminators to the sides (left/right) instead.

That said, if front is completely featureless at night with no glowing sources, yes, go for it — an IR illuminator right at front.

Everything that glows becomes a potential tracking reference at night; spread them out a bit so at least three, or more bright contrasty “visible things” or “glowy things” (light sources or contrasty objects) are glowing in your pass-through view during a 360-degree rotation test.

Last edited:
If your computer monitor is at front, that’s probably already automatically a Quest 2 tracking reference (because the monitor is a bright object to the Quest 2 cameras) — so, instead put the IR illuminators to the sides (left/right) instead.

That said, if front is completely featureless at night with no glowing sources, yes, go for it — an IR illuminator right at front.

Everything that glows becomes a potential tracking reference at night; spread them out a bit so at least three, or more bright contrasty “visible things” or “glowy things” (light sources or contrasty objects) are glowing in your pass-through view during a 360-degree rotation test.
Since I got the good wireless router, I can do my VR in the living room with a much bigger space than the VR bedroom.
The router is within 15ft of the VR space so it works great. Just need to get the tracking good as I can. I understand it wont be good as the 4 sensor setup I had before.
Maybe in the future!
I got 2 so I am hoping it will help a bit.

In case someone missed this, Oculus now supports 120hz mode in PCVR too. Works via Airlink as well. Oculus is really killing it right now. 👍

Yep and Airlink is fantastic, though I still have severe wifi interference issues in my room some days even with a relatively powerful & dedicated router and messing around with the settings for hours. FML. Maybe it will be better in the apartment I just bought but I'm not certain.

Yep and Airlink is fantastic, though I still have severe wifi interference issues in my room some days even with a relatively powerful & dedicated router and messing around with the settings for hours. FML. Maybe it will be better in the apartment I just bought but I'm not certain.
Are you using the 5GHz band? If no, that is your solution.

Of course I am. 2.4ghz I'd dare call that unplayable for VR :p 5ghz and Wifi 6 (but the latter is mostly just extra bandwidth).

It's very random and I have zero other wireless devices at home (besides my phone but it's never connected to Wifi, my laptop I practically never use it while home so it's never turned on during my VR sessions).

I only notice those interferences in VR but yeah I am a perfectionist and extremely sensitive to the slightest smoothness issue.

Last edited:
Of course I am. 2.4ghz I'd dare call that unplayable for VR :p 5ghz and Wifi 6 (but the latter is mostly just extra bandwidth).

It's very random and I have zero other wireless devices at home (besides my phone but it's never connected to Wifi, my laptop I practically never use it while home so it's never turned on during my VR sessions).

I only notice those interferences in VR but yeah I am a perfectionist and extremely sensitive to the slightest smoothness issue.
Make sure you’re using 80 MHz width. Try changing channels. If both 42 and 155 have issues you can try DFS channels if your router supports it. I’d also probably use dynamic bitrate and possibly do an iPerf 3 test in your play space to see what kind of throughput you’re getting.

If you live in an apartment, you may have issues with some of the bands being congested because neighbors have a bunch of wifi devices on the same band. In addition, there can be devices used by others that interfere with wifi (think, microwave ovens, or any other kind of power hungry appliance)

If you live in an apartment, you may have issues with some of the bands being congested because neighbors have a bunch of wifi devices on the same band. In addition, there can be devices used by others that interfere with wifi (think, microwave ovens, or any other kind of power hungry appliance)
Microwave doesn't interfere with the 5GHz band and even in an apartment, shouldn't be hit with too much interference on 5GHz as it doesn't reach too far. Though switching channels can help with the closer by 5GHz networks, to avoid those. Just use a Wi-Fi analyzer and you know what channel to use.

Hi there Im new here, I just need to ask if I can run Gravity Sketch with Oculus Quest 2 through Steam or something on a Mac Pro mid 2012 --> Mac specs here (https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...re-i7-2.3-15-mid-2012-unibody-usb3-specs.html)

I know its possible to have a processor(?!) externally connected to run the software...
Hope to get some help here
Thanks
MacBook pro 2012 really wouldn't help as it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the program you want to run. You need something like a 970 or 1060 in terms of GPU performance.

There's a recall on the Quest2 foam padding for the headset. (not quest 1) You can sign into your Oculus acount and request a silicone one.
https://www.oculus.com/quest-2/removable-facial-interface-alert/

Also:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57997112

Came to post this. It is also for the Quest 2 facial interface accessory and Quest 2 Fit Pack per the email.

Here is the email body.

"We’re reaching out to let you know about a voluntary recall of the Oculus Quest 2 removable foam facial interface in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. This recall pertains only to the removable foam facial interface. This is an extension of our existing replacement facial interface campaign which was launched in December 2020 following reports from a very small percentage of users who have experienced skin irritation where the foam portion of the facial interface rests on the skin.

The health and comfort of every customer is our top priority. We have been working with regulators over the past several months, and we are now offering a free silicone cover to Quest 2 headset, Quest 2 facial interface accessory and Quest 2 Fit Pack owners. To request a free silicone cover click or tap
“Go to My Devices” and follow the quick steps. All you need is your account login, headset serial number, and an address in a supported country for shipping. You don't have to return your headset or removable foam facial interface to receive a Quest 2 Silicone Cover. To learn more about the voluntary recall or the Quest 2 Silicone Cover, please refer to the included links below.

Thank you for being a Quest 2 customer. We remain dedicated to creating safe and unbelievable experiences for all."

So just got the 128gb today and will get it tomorrow.... do I need to open a Facebook account, use and old (very old account), or start fresh with a new Facebook account or can I still make an Oculus account? Just using it for American Truck Simulator and maybe kids playing some games.....

Last edited:
So just got the 128gb today and will get it tomorrow.... do I need to open a Facebook account, use and old (very old account), or start fresh with a new Facebook account or can I still make an Oculus account? Just using it for American Truck Simulator and maybe kids playing some games.....

If you have on old account (and not a fake one) then use that. Facebook frowns on multiple accounts anyway.

If you have on old account (and not a fake one) then use that. Facebook frowns on multiple accounts anyway.
It’s very old and not my real information…… never did trust them. I used an old yahoo email for it…. Sounds like I may have to make a new account. I thought I remember reading you can still create an Oculus account somewhere.

It’s very old and not my real information…… never did trust them. I used an old yahoo email for it…. Sounds like I may have to make a new account. I thought I remember reading you can still create an Oculus account somewhere.

In that case make a new one. For the Oculus Rift I think you still can make a pure Oculus account but to use Quest 2 you need a Facebook account. It is part of the setup.

I got a 128GB Quest 2 this weekend - really enjoying it as I set it up for my 11 year old. I got in with an HTC Vive right when they launched however many years ago and found it to be too gimmicky for the $$$ (sold it) - at $299 this is really fun and a perfect entry point to see if my son ends up digging it. We can always graduate up. What really impresses me is just how awesome it is to simply sit and enjoy media (YT, etc.) from within the unit. Very cool.

I got a 128GB Quest 2 this weekend - really enjoying it as I set it up for my 11 year old. I got in with an HTC Vive right when they launched however many years ago and found it to be too gimmicky for the $$$ (sold it) - at $299 this is really fun and a perfect entry point to see if my son ends up digging it. We can always graduate up. What really impresses me is just how awesome it is to simply sit and enjoy media (YT, etc.) from within the unit. Very cool.

So coincidentally my same experience. My son has the original Vive and they just seem so fragile; his original wand controllers fail to pair.. we got him the Index controllers.. and one of those developed drifting and then the thumbstick started to loosen up over time.. the lenses started developing dark black spots inside of them recently... for the $$... it should last forever unless dropped and purposely broken.

So coincidentally my same experience. My son has the original Vive and they just seem so fragile; his original wand controllers fail to pair.. we got him the Index controllers.. and one of those developed drifting and then the thumbstick started to loosen up over time.. the lenses started developing dark black spots inside of them recently... for the $$... it should last forever unless dropped and purposely broken.

Dark black spots. Sunlight damage? The lenses are essentially magnifying glasses, they have to be protected from sunlight at all cost or they will start frying the panel inside the headset.

Dark black spots. Sunlight damage? The lenses are essentially magnifying glasses, they have to be protected from sunlight at all cost or they will start frying the panel inside

Nope and nope to dust.
It gets wiped off daily and the room it is used in only has one window, which doesn't get direct sunlight until late afternoon..but by that point the blinds on that side of the house get closed up.
Not sure who in their right mind would obliviously expose this type of product to sun. .. as Biden would say, "come on man" 🤣

He's been enjoying this Quest 2 greatly and doesn't seem to be missing the Vive all that much.

Reactions: MaZa
like this
I always put a towel over mine for extra protection just in case.

I just cleared out a whole room to dedicate to VR. I was playing in the basement before but would occasionally hit the ceiling because they're only 8 ft down there. And now it's become a home theater and office so there's too many things to worry about breaking.

It's nice not to have to worry about hitting anything, it kind of breaks the immersion having to think about it. It's so much better with no cords or worries.

I always put a towel over mine for extra protection just in case.

I just cleared out a whole room to dedicate to VR. I was playing in the basement before but would occasionally hit the ceiling because they're only 8 ft down there. And now it's become a home theater and office so there's too many things to worry about breaking.

It's nice not to have to worry about hitting anything, it kind of breaks the immersion having to think about it. It's so much better with no cords or worries.

What's also nice is that if the guardian walls don't pop up often in your view, you get more performance in certain games.

Is it allowed to use a family member's facebook account if you don't have your own ? Just asking. If not no big deal.

Is it allowed to use a family member's facebook account if you don't have your own ? Just asking. If not no big deal.
You can login with whatever Facebook credentials you have. It also supports multiple accounts (i.e. family). Honestly, once you do that (and you disable Messenger) - it doesn't even seem like Facebook is connected to it, at all. Although certainly they are tracking everything you do and monetizing it.

It shouldn't matter, just know all your purchases are tied to the account you're using and you're not going to be able to play those games if you end up switching accounts. Unless they support the family sharing thing.

Back