nvidia surround?

Wow, not good. These better be released in May or I am done. I am tired of looking at 2 blank 30" monitors.

Agreed. I feel cheated at this point. I just paid $1100 + waterblocks for a far inferior experience than I had on my 5870s.

Wow, not good. These better be released in May or I am done. I am tired of looking at 2 blank 30" monitors.

Going back is always on the table for me, but that position was just too much for me. Whats more frustrating for me is wondering whether my Display Port Adapter will be worth 2 cents when Surround does come out.

On their forums they said the 256 driver release, which is supposed to be the one with surround and 3D surround, should be out in about 2 weeks.

Do you happen to have a link for this? I have been waiting to see something "official" from them.

Nothing new. Don't you think though it might be indicative of problems they had getting it implemented. It could mean they are waiting to absolutely perfect it to blow eyefinity away, or more likely I think it means that 3Dsurround needed the extra time to match what eyefinity has been doing for months already.

I think there's a good chance your right on at least one count or maybe all. So what if you are? What's your point? I have been saying all along I rather wait for it too be working properly than half assed. So where's the issue? All I see here is a bunch of people who are acting like impatient spolied 11 year olds to be honest. Wah wah you promised! ! I want it now now! *feet stamping *etc. You think I'm wrong?

Point is, they obviously delayed the release because something wasn't done or working properly. This is simply common sense. No?

This is simply common sense. No?

Well of course it makes sense, but when you sink over $1000 into some tech, and a company doesn't hold up it's end of the bargain you do have every right on earth to be pissed about it. Obviously it's not a life and death situation, but I'm sure it's still quite annoying.

Well of course it makes sense, but when you sink over $1000 into some tech, and a company doesn't hold up it's end of the bargain you do have every right on earth to be pissed about it. Obviously it's not a life and death situation, but I'm sure it's still quite annoying.

Kinda like ATI taking a while to get Eyefinity working with xfire.

I think there's a good chance your right on at least one count or maybe all. So what if you are? What's your point? I have been saying all along I rather wait for it too be working properly than half assed. So where's the issue? All I see here is a bunch of people who are acting like impatient spolied 11 year olds to be honest. Wah wah you promised! ! I want it now now! *feet stamping *etc. You think I'm wrong?

Point is, they obviously delayed the release because something wasn't done or working properly. This is simply common sense. No?

The problem is the feature was highlighted on shipping boxes as *bling bling* with driver support promises for late April. They didn't actually say 'Late April' but they did say 'one month' from the announcement/shipping date and that's either March 26 or April 6. Folks will agree to disagree on that one. Still if we take the latter date then tomorrow the 6th is when these drives *should* be ready. From what we know or have seen so far that isn't looking to be the case.

Indeed people have the right to be angry. Now I don't currently own a Nvidia card so I really have no say in all of this... but I was considering 470/480 SLI as my Eyefinity setup is finicky and doesn't always work the way I want (DP monitor dies out/flickering etc...) plus spending $150+ on 2 DP adapters (1 active) ... oh what I would give to have everything working perfectly without issues and not having to deal with any DP adapters. Please NV, release those drivers already!

Kinda like ATI taking a while to get Eyefinity working with xfire.

The difference being ATI was very upfront about Eyefinity+Crossfire not working when the cards were released and that is was going to take a while to get working. They never advertised that feature on the boxes of the cards, either.

Nvidia's site claimed April would see Surround Vision drivers and the feature was advertised on the box. Big difference. If Nvidia was upfront that it wasn't going to be ready and they didn't start advertising it, then I don't think nearly as many people would be upset right now.

The difference being ATI was very upfront about Eyefinity+Crossfire not working when the cards were released and that is was going to take a while to get working. They never advertised that feature on the boxes of the cards, either.

Nvidia's site claimed April would see Surround Vision drivers and the feature was advertised on the box. Big difference. If Nvidia was upfront that it wasn't going to be ready and they didn't start advertising it, then I don't think nearly as many people would be upset right now.

I completely agree, this is my issue, there is a feature that was advertised to be working that we have heard nothing about. I could care less about seeing the 100th post on gtx benchmarks or quad sli etc, I just want multi monitor gaming support.

Well for one thing let's be realistic here. What percentage of the gaming populace actually cares and is going to use triple screens? You got it next to nil. So while I'm not saying it's not important to them to get working I'm sure they have alot on their plate as well as the triple screen crap. So priorities are priorities and I mean when you are trying to decide where to put your resources I'm willing to bet they had to make some choices and since a very very small percentage of their customers are going to use this feature set anyway I'm guessing they decided they could afford to delay it a bit. Point is it's not a big deal and it will come and when it does I bet it will be pretty sweet for those of you waiting.

Also for anyone yelling about how it was advertised on the box...did you ever think that perhaps at the time of the printing of the boxes that they perhaps had every intention of it working at release? Or maybe not..maybe it's just nvidia's evil sinister marketing department*evil laugh with the pinky on the lip* trying to dupe all 100 of you triple screen guys waiting for the last 2 months for the drivers to come out. Ya I bet that's the one. Since I mean nvidia is such a pricky bunch of liars I bet they intentionally tried to get one over on you guys...dam nvidia. Oh but AMD on the other hand always does the right thing and never ever misses a release date for anything ever. They also never look to hurt their customers and always are upfront and honest and have eveything working on day out of the box flawlessly. Yaaaaaa, that's not untrue at all or anything.

/sigh

^ ??

If people spend over $1k on cards alone, don't you think maybe they expect it to do what it is nvidia said it would do?

Video card apologists :confused:

Well for one thing let's be realistic here. What percentage of the gaming populace actually cares and is going to use triple screens? You got it next to nil. So while I'm not saying it's not important to them to get working I'm sure they have alot on their plate as well as the triple screen crap. So priorities are priorities and I mean when you are trying to decide where to put your resources I'm willing to bet they had to make some choices and since a very very small percentage of their customers are going to use this feature set anyway I'm guessing they decided they could afford to delay it a bit. Point is it's not a big deal and it will come and when it does I bet it will be pretty sweet for those of you waiting.

if it's so insignificant, why put it on the box? why not release a beta for those oh so few?

Also for anyone yelling about how it was advertised on the box...did you ever think that perhaps at the time of the printing of the boxes that they perhaps had every intention of it working at release? Or maybe not..maybe it's just nvidia's evil sinister marketing department*evil laugh with the pinky on the lip* trying to dupe all 100 of you triple screen guys waiting for the last 2 months for the drivers to come out. Ya I bet that's the one. Since I mean nvidia is such a pricky bunch of liars I bet they intentionally tried to get one over on you guys...dam nvidia. Oh but AMD on the other hand always does the right thing and never ever misses a release date for anything ever. They also never look to hurt their customers and always are upfront and honest and have eveything working on day out of the box flawlessly. Yaaaaaa, that's not untrue at all or anything.

/sigh

intentions don't mean shit, just ask your boss. results count.

if it's so insignificant, why put it on the box? why not release a beta for those oh so few?

Agreed. The faster Nvidia comes out with some kind of multi monitor solution the faster they can compete with ATI. I for one am waiting to see how surround works in comparison to eyefinity. I hope its good, as competition is great for us consumers.

The delay of these drivers is definitely not due to it being something on the "back burner," you're going to tell me that quad-sli is more important? Eyefinity has been a huge success. Nvidia is definitely aware of a rapidly growing market they can tap into, I am sure they are being very cautious as to what they start building upon.

The delay of these drivers is definitely not due to it being something on the "back burner," you're going to tell me that quad-sli is more important? Eyefinity has been a huge success. Nvidia is definitely aware of a rapidly growing market they can tap into, I am sure they are being very cautious as to what they start building upon.

Define huge exactly please. As in what percentage of people buying x card from y manufacturer are using 3 screens in eyefinity to game on. I'm not saying it's not important but I am saying it is not as important as some other things more than likely. You think because here and on some other hardcore fourms you see a fair number of people using that tech means it's a success? Your vision is skewed dude. Just look at the latest results of steam hardware survey to see what the real deal is amongst pc gamers, sadly this here (us here) aren't representative of any of it. We account for 2% if that. Of that 2% even less using 3 screens to game on. See my point now a little better?

To the guy who is trying to be all hardcore saying in his best manly deep voice I bet" results count everything else is bullshit son". Ummm ya ok go join the marines since I'm willing to bet when you fuck something up in real life and on the job I'm willing to bet you would hope someone has a heart and cuts you a little slack. Oh no let me guess you wouldn't mind being fired for being late or messing something up? Please, save it.

Easy to play arm chair quarterback in a forum and point fingers and yell and cry about how it should be this way or that way. Something else to be on the other side.

By the way I spent 1100+ on video cards and I intend to give 3 screens a go later on this year perhaps. So I would like to start reading reviews and seeing how you guys like it etc. That doesn't mean I'm not understading to how things sometimes go in the real world.

I'm not an apoligist. Instead I'm a realist and I realize shit happens and I'm willing to cut some slack not burn at the stake because something doesn't go as planned or advertised. We know they are working on it. We also know it will come sooner rather than later. So why all the bullshit talk? I know why it's cause this is nvidia we're talking about thats why. If this were amd you would be all patient and shit. Sayin things like wel llets give them a chance or well lets let them get it right and things of that nature. You guys know I'm right so please, enough.

Last edited:
^
-why all the bullshit talk? the ati card owners have something we want and we were told we would have, we don't. we know they are working on it, sure. why no update? why no beta? why not tell your top-end buyers what's going on?

if this was ATI/AMD, I'd be just as pissed. i'm not a fanboy, i want best card and features and my hard earned cash will follow.

you keep saying we are a small %, you are correct. however, perception is reality. they are getting their asses handed to them on the high end. take all the review sites out there and their gaming readers and we give nvidia or ati their name. take that away from them.... all it takes is losing the next big oem contract and they are done.

No I don't see your point...eyefinity is a definite success and definitely a growing market for the future. Nvidia knows their next step is important for the future, this is why we wait. Not due to them doing something more important.

What percentage of the gaming populace will actually buy a GTX 470 or 480? You got it, next to nil.

Out of curiosity, though, what priorities do you think Nvidia is working on?

/sigh

And what about continuing to say on the website that it would be available in April, and once April was over offering *NO* information or even a statement saying that it will be late?

It isn't just a single thing (like ad on the box), but the entire situation that's pissing people off. Its the ads on the box PLUS the incorrect date on the website that persisted right up until the date had passed PLUS the complete lack of any news from Nvidia on the situation whatsoever.

Nvidia has known for a long time now that they wouldn't make the April deadline. THEN would have been a good time to tell people. Instead they just sort of hoped that no one would notice that the release is late. That is just shady. Being late is excusable, not telling people anxiously waiting for something you promised that you are going to be late isn't. If you set a date, it is your obligation to either have the product ready then or tell people *in advance* that you won't make the deadline.

Hell, I'd bet that Nvidia knew full well they wouldn't have it ready when they printed the boxes but decided to advertise it anyway. The reason being that they wanted as many people as possible to buy the card before they found out that features were going to be late.

Also for anyone yelling about how it was advertised on the box...did you ever think that perhaps at the time of the printing of the boxes that they perhaps had every intention of it working at release? Or maybe not..maybe it's just nvidia's evil sinister marketing department*evil laugh with the pinky on the lip* trying to dupe all 100 of you triple screen guys waiting for the last 2 months for the drivers to come out. Ya I bet that's the one. Since I mean nvidia is such a pricky bunch of liars I bet they intentionally tried to get one over on you guys...dam nvidia.

I'm not yelling but I DO think it's a big deal that Nvidia advertised this as a feature and it's not working. The thing with the Nvidia Surround is not just the triple screens, but it's the 3d surround as well. That 3rd dimension was supposed to be Nvidia's big leg up over ATI's offerings. And it's just not ready.

The other unfortunate problem is that people have to buy at least TWO Nvidia video cards to be able to run 3d Surround. ATI owners can do Eyefinity with just one video card. Not only are Nvidia video cards more expensive than ATI cards on average ($300 5850 vs $350 470, and $400 5870 vs $500 480), but you need TWO of those more expensive cards to get this promised feature. So along the lines of 'you get what you pay for', when you DONT get what you pay for, and you need to pay more, and pay twice to get it, well that's just not very nice.

Nvidia promised drivers 'sometime in April' and it is well past that time. I think that paying customers have a right to complain when they don't get a feature that they were promised. You have a right to 'not complain' but that doesn't mean everyone else should bite their lips too.

I hope that Nvidia's driver development team is working real hard to turn out those promised 256 drivers fast and do a good job with it. Intending to have it ready by release and STILL not having it ready nearly a month later are just not good enough. Not when people are paying the price premiums they are for hardware that already has its flaws (hot, power hungry, and noisy), in the belief that some of the promised extra features, such as 3d surround, would make up for it.

Just got my GTX 470 SLI finally up and running.

I have no immediate interest in procuring 3 monitors, but I'm nonetheless annoyed with Nvidia for being shitty to its highest-end customers about this drivers situation. Yes, it's a small fraction of gamers - so what? - it is obviously a big enough fraction that Nvidia tried to play catch u and advertised it on the box. Moreover, Nvidia is a company that specializes not in Intel-like integrated shit graphics, but in high-end GPU setups, so its 'street cred' among the high-end users is important to its reputation.

/sigh

This is an utterly flawed point of view, from both a rational and legal perspective. If a company advertises a feature on the retail packaging of their product, they are required BY LAW in almost every country (in the US, any number of Federal FTC and state "truth-in-advertising" laws) to ensure it is working by the time it hit the shelves (regardless of what they intended), and if it doesn't work they are forced by LAW to either recall or offer refund. This is US consumer protection law: there is absolutely no grey area here.

The fact of the matter is nV is not delivering on a claim they on which they are selling their products -- and this is irrespective of any conspiracy theory anyone may have.

By your logic, I could come up with a product and claim and advertises it cures cancer. Then, after it's hit the retail market and millions of people bought it, I could say "awe shucks, we're still workin on that".

Last edited:
I would suggest everyone who is affected by this to open a case with the BBB. It really is a blatant case of false advertising at this point and the more open cases with the BBB about it then the more likely nvidia is to have action taken against them. If it was really printed on the box like you guys say then nvidia really has no excuse. A 15% refund of the cost of each card would be appropriate.

I would suggest everyone who is affected by this to open a case with the BBB. It really is a blatant case of false advertising at this point and the more open cases with the BBB about it then the more likely nvidia is to have action taken against them. If it was really printed on the box like you guys say then nvidia really has no excuse. A 15% refund of the cost of each card would be appropriate.

That would be nice. But man, you wouldn't see that check for years lol.

This is an utterly flawed point of view, from both a rational and legal perspective. If a company advertises a feature on the retail packaging of their product, they are required BY LAW in almost every country (in the US, any number of Federal FTC and state "truth-in-advertising" laws) to ensure it is working by the time it hit the shelves (regardless of what they intended), and if it doesn't work they are forced by LAW to either recall or offer refund. This is US consumer protection law: there is absolutely no grey area here.

The fact of the matter is nV is not delivering on a claim they on which they are selling their products -- and this is irrespective of any conspiracy theory anyone may have.

By your logic, I could come up with a product and claim and advertises it cures cancer. Then, after it's hit the retail market and millions of people bought it, I could say "awe shucks, we're still workin on that".

Ya ok. I tell you what you go ahead and sue them. Pay for the attorney fees and watch and wait while nvidia's legal team spin you un circles for years. That's if you even have a case. So smug are we? Always ready to call out what's legal and what's not. Comparing this to a companies claim to have a cure for cancer is utterly ridiculous and you know it.

So instead of dealing with lawyers for the next two years waiting for that ellusive victory and refund, why don't we be a little fucking patient. How's that sound? Crazy idea I know. I get it we're in the me generation. I want it now now, but try to be reasonable. Try.

It's not as if they have thumbed their noses at us. For fuck sakes we know they are working n it and we'll have it in the next 2-3 weeks. You think yelling,crying,or threatening lawsuits will get you your new toys faster? Guess again. Trust me I get the whole angry mob thing but save it for something important in life. Like our constitutional freedoms that are being erroded every day. That's worth banded together to yell about. Not a late driver on a functional video card.

Get a little perspective and calm down.

So instead of dealing with lawyers for the next two years waiting for that ellusive victory and refund, why don't we be a little fucking patient. How's that sound? Crazy idea I know. I get it we're in the me generation. I want it now now, but try to be reasonable. Try.

Holding companies to the LAW is reasonable. Being upset when companies blatantly lie to you and take your money on a promise that they know won't happen is reasonable. There is nothing unreasonable about being upset with Nvidia's actions.

It's not as if they have thumbed their noses at us.

Yes they did. They promised something they knew wasn't going to be ready and then never told consumers that it was going to be late. Nvidia has done everything they can to deserve all the ire they are getting.

For fuck sakes we know they are working n it and we'll have it in the next 2-3 weeks.

We do? Did Nvidia make another promise? How is that any different from the promise of April? The fact is we don't know jack shit about when it will come out.

Well as for the Constitution I completely agree....though a class action lawsuit would be based off of contingency. There are a lot of people who have purchased products for this feature and been left in the cold. Regardless of what is more important we do have rights as consumers. Something like this really should not be happening, especially from a company of this stature. People talk about it being this month yet I still have not seen an official word of this.

Holding companies to the LAW is reasonable. Being upset when companies blatantly lie to you and take your money on a promise that they know won't happen is reasonable. There is nothing unreasonable about being upset with Nvidia's actions.

Yes they did. They promised something they knew wasn't going to be ready and then never told consumers that it was going to be late. Nvidia has done everything they can to deserve all the ire they are getting.

You know for an absolute fact nvidia knew full well that when launched the cards their surrounded driver's weren't going to be ready? Show me the proof please.

Fact is they intended to have it work out of the box but this functionality got delayed due to unforeseen technical reasons. That's more than likely their argument in court. I can almost guarantee any judge in this land would give them SOME time to get it working and do right by their customers before throwing the book at them. The law accounts for someone or company to rectify a situation in a reasonable time frame.

Those are the facts as far as I can tell. Show me real proof that I'm wrong.

You know for an absolute fact nvidia knew full well that when launched the cards their surrounded driver's weren't going to be ready? Show me the proof please.

Easy. Go look at the reviews for the cards that were before the launch. They all knew that surround vision wasn't going to be ready at launch, nor was Nvidia at that point promising that it would be ready at launch. In fact, as far as I know Nvidia *never* promised to have Surround Vision working at launch.

Fact is they intended to have it work out of the box but this functionality got delayed due to unforeseen technical reasons. That's more than likely their argument in court. I can almost guarantee any judge in this land would give them SOME time to get it working and do right by their customers before throwing the book at them. The law accounts for someone or company to rectify a situation in a reasonable time frame.

Those are the facts as far as I can tell. Show me real proof that I'm wrong.

Intentions are irrelevant. You're "fact" is no more a fact than my claim that they knew well before release. There weren't any unforseen technical problems this late in the game. They have had demos for months, they knew full well what was required to get Surround Vision up and going. The facts are as follows:

1) Surround Vision is advertised on the box.
2) Surround Vision did not work when the cards shipped
3) Surround Vision was promised on Nvidia's website to be released in April
4) Surround Vision did not come out in April
5) Nvidia has provided no explanation, announcement, or apology for the delay.

1 + 2 is illegal. 3 + 4 + 5 is the company being a bitch.

Oh, and the time for Nvidia to get it working has come and gone - it was April.

Simple. Sell your cards and get AMD cards to replace them.
Or email nVidia. Posting here does nothing to speed up the driver release.

I pinged NVIDIA again yesterday, both its PR and GPU manager, and no reply from either. Makes a week that has gone by with no reply to me at all. Maybe it is just me though. Have not heard from NV since our Fermi review.

Easy. Go look at the reviews for the cards that were before the launch. They all knew that surround vision wasn't going to be ready at launch, nor was Nvidia at that point promising that it would be ready at launch. In fact, as far as I know Nvidia *never* promised to have Surround Vision working at launch.

Intentions are irrelevant. You're "fact" is no more a fact than my claim that they knew well before release. There weren't any unforseen technical problems this late in the game. They have had demos for months, they knew full well what was required to get Surround Vision up and going. The facts are as follows:

1) Surround Vision is advertised on the box.
2) Surround Vision did not work when the cards shipped
3) Surround Vision was promised on Nvidia's website to be released in April
4) Surround Vision did not come out in April
5) Nvidia has provided no explanation, announcement, or apology for the delay.

1 + 2 is illegal. 3 + 4 + 5 is the company being a bitch.

Oh, and the time for Nvidia to get it working has come and gone - it was April.

Ok so if I'm wrong then are you suggesting they are intentionally trying to not deliver and doung this just to piss you 100 surround users off? I don't understand since from wjere I'm sitting thia looks to me like mismanagement on their part at best. Soooooooooooooo..........should we have the ceremonial burn at the stake in town square at 6 or 7 tonight? What time works for your people?

My god man. This argument has my head spinning lol. I can't believe what people resort too when they are butt hurt. Jesus.

I waited until ATi released the 2900 to build a Vista/8800 GTX SLI setup. I missed the early Vista drivers. I'm sure many were not happy campers then also.
I was running ATi and playing WOW. So it was like living under a rock new tech release wise. :p

Ya ok. I tell you what you go ahead and sue them. Pay for the attorney fees and watch and wait while nvidia's legal team spin you un circles for years. That's if you even have a case. So smug are we? Always ready to call out what's legal and what's not. Comparing this to a companies claim to have a cure for cancer is utterly ridiculous and you know it.

It's not as if they have thumbed their noses at us. For fuck sakes we know they are working n it and we'll have it in the next 2-3 weeks. You think yelling,crying,or threatening lawsuits will get you your new toys faster? Guess again. Trust me I get the whole angry mob thing but save it for something important in life. Like our constitutional freedoms that are being erroded every day. That's worth banded together to yell about. Not a late driver on a functional video card.

Get a little perspective and calm down.

Who mentioned lawsuit? The FTC in this case would normally issue a warning letter to nVidia which they would either ignore or offer a refund to those who weren't happy (admittedly, the group of people wanting a refund for a delay on 3D Surround would be rather small). If they didn't heed FTC's terms, a petition may follow which may after a good amount of time and planning, lead to a class action or civil suit. This hypothetical and unlikely lawsuit would normally have legal representation that would work pro bono with the promise of compensation after a positive ruling -- no individual would be paying the attorney fees.

Smug... no, just a tried and deep knowledge of consumer protection law.

And all things equal, the comparison with the cancer cure is entirely valid, albeit over the top. My point is, regardless of the implications or severity of the infraction, in laymen's terms... the law's the law. And, taking my legal/objectivity hat off, I really think these sorts of shenanagens can't be allowed. While not being able to use an what's arguably a key feature to an expensive piece of electronics hardware is not the biggest deal, when would you say this sort of thing is over the line?

Last edited:
Who mentioned lawsuit? The FTA in this case would normally issue a warning letter to nVidia which they would either ignore or offer a refund to those who weren't happy (admittedly, the group of people wanting a refund for a delay on 3D Surround would be rather small). If they didn't heed FTA's terms, a petition may follow which may after a good amount of time and planning, lead to a class action or civil suit. This hypothetical and unlikely lawsuit would normally have legal representation that would work pro bono with the promise of compensation after a positive ruling -- no individual would be paying the attorney fees.

Smug... no, just a tried and deep knowledge of consumer protection law.

And all things equal, the comparison with the cancer cure is entirely valid, albeit over the top. My point is, regardless of the implications or severity of the infraction, in laymen's terms... the law's the law. And, taking my legal/objectivity hat off, I really think these sorts of shenanagens can't be allowed. While not being able to use an what's arguably a key feature to an expensive piece of electronics hardware is not the biggest deal, when would you say this sort of thing is over the line?

All I'm saying is the cards just came out a few weeks ago. They had a delay and haven't communicated with their customers as they should have agreed, but we know they are working on it. If the drivers aren't ready yet what can ya do. Hold a gun to their head? It's really not a big deal. Now, if another 4-6 weeks pass and no drivers and no communication then start to cry. Until then chill out. That's all I'm saying guys.

It's not unprecendented that companies have lost class action suits or simply pressured and fined by the FTC for advertised features promised by a certain date or products that were delayed by significant amounts of time.

Didn't a bunch of people just recieve free ATI cards as part of the HDCP-ready class action lawsuit? And I'm reminded of the 80s when the Intellivision Keyboard was promised for months to purchasers of the Intellivision so they could have a fully fledged computer but they could never get it finished and in mid-1982, the FTC ordered Mattel to pay a monthly fine (said to be $10,000) until the Keyboard was in wide distribution. Mattel never got the keyboard out, they fudged out a cheaper alternative to get the FTC off their backs.

Back