nvidia surround?

Nice pickup! Had an order for 2 5870 e6's but canceled. Will see if I can wait this thing out.

I tried to wait it out but I'm not very patient lol. I've really been stressing about this for a while becuase i hate making choices without all the info. But it feels great to just have it over with. Worst comes to worst ill trade up and lose $100, not the end of the world.

it's really sad to have 2 awesome $500 monitors sitting on my desk with their screens off while the lonely one in the middle is the only one getting to have fun.

Give me the fricken Alpha / Beta / whatever drivers to mess around with while you perfect it nVidia!

Well you could run softth for now, then when 256 comes it will be an upgrade...or at least you'd hope.

it's really sad to have 2 awesome $500 monitors sitting on my desk with their screens off while the lonely one in the middle is the only one getting to have fun.

Give me the fricken Alpha / Beta / whatever drivers to mess around with while you perfect it nVidia!

i'm with you, give me a beta driver i have to tweak with for now.

Well you could run softth for now, then when 256 comes it will be an upgrade...or at least you'd hope.

that's what i've been doing. lots of baggage though. no sli support, no non-d3d games. no d3d 10. you have to really tweak just about every game's .cfg file to get it to work, often times applying different versions of the software to get it to work.

that's what i've been doing. lots of baggage though. no sli support, no non-d3d games. no d3d 10. you have to really tweak just about every game's .cfg file to get it to work, often times applying different versions of the software to get it to work.

Definitely, I used to use it all the time, have been so frustrated of late that I just play single screen sli.

What monitors are you talking about? And umm, you can always plug in the 2nd one.

So I take it that the guaranteed promise of the surround driver before May is not holding true? Nvidia...nvidia...nvidia. What are we going to do with you guys...

Alienware AW2310

Yeah, I could plug it in but I'm not really playing any games right now that take advantage of 2 monitors so I'm just waiting for the driver...one day...eventually...

Well it's already April 30th so I don't think the drivers will be ready in time. My birthday is tomorrow. Well at least I got my presents early (480 SLI ^_^). I think even a leaked early beta of the driver would be nice to try out, but maybe Nvidia doesn't want to do that because they are afraid of criticism?

at this point it's safe to call it a swing and a miss for nvida this month. better luck in may. :)

After taking a good look at all the benchmarks I could find on here, AnandTech, and Hardware Canuncks it looks like a single 5870 might be fairly close performance to two GTX 275. It does not quite match up, but I find it diffiult to see two ATI cards at current prices a reasonable purchase.

I think I am going to call Best Buy tomorrow and explain the situation that nVIdia did not live up to their advertisement that was being touted all over the internet when I bought my second card. If they do not give me a refund I will have a chat with BFG and see what they can do. If I wait too much longer I doubt Best Buy would be willing to do anything, and this is my best shot at getting all of my money back for that card.

EDIT: On second thought maybe I should just wait. IDK. Too bad nVidia could not be trusted to give a reliable estimate for when the drivers would actually be released.

Last edited:
After taking a good look at all the benchmarks I could find on here, AnandTech, and Hardware Canuncks it looks like a single 5870 might be fairly close performance to two GTX 275. It does not quite match up, but I find it diffiult to see two ATI cards at current prices a reasonable purchase.

I think I am going to call Best Buy tomorrow and explain the situation that nVIdia did not live up to their advertisement that was being touted all over the internet when I bought my second card. If they do not give me a refund I will have a chat with BFG and see what they can do. If I wait too much longer I doubt Best Buy would be willing to do anything, and this is my best shot at getting all of my money back for that card.

EDIT: On second thought maybe I should just wait. IDK. Too bad nVidia could not be trusted to give a reliable estimate for when the drivers would actually be released.

Sadly, in your case with the GTX 275, I would wager you might not see surround drivers for a very long time.

Nvidia always did say that they were focused on Fermi and Fermi would get surround support first and their other lines would get it further down the road.

Sadly, in your case with the GTX 275, I would wager you might not see surround drivers for a very long time.

Nvidia always did say that they were focused on Fermi and Fermi would get surround support first and their other lines would get it further down the road.

i'm going to disagree. everything we know about the 256 drivers is that is supposed to be some all-encompassing driver. fermi compatiblilty/performance may be better, but i think all the qualifying gpu's will see surround at the same time.

Wow they missed the april deadline...,

was REALLY hoping to see some benchmarks and SS of nvidia surround.....Nvidia is still slipping once again.

*Anxious* I need to see vision surround now! my new build is depending what runs better ATi eyefinity or nvidia VS...but imo since nvidia surround probably would end up software based instead of hardware like ATi, nvidia could not have severe problems with multiple gpus setup like ATi right now..

I have previous posts in this thread and am the the owner of 2 gtx 480's. No cheering here, just stating something. If Nvidia can compete with eyefinity it will be a huge success, I think the delay is there because they know how important this initial impression will be.

The future of gaming is multi monitor though I have been a bit surprised to see the lack of interest from nividia users. I guess it just shows the natural divide through new product development. This will be hardware supported, hopefully all goes well and we get this soon.

*Anxious* I need to see vision surround now! my new build is depending what runs better ATi eyefinity or nvidia VS...but imo since nvidia surround probably would end up software based instead of hardware like ATi, nvidia could not have severe problems with multiple gpus setup like ATi right now..

Well it's going to be kind of like when SLI first came out. I remember my 6800 GT's... it was OK, but definitely not nearly as polished as SLI / Xfire is right now. ATI's introduction of eyefinity has pushed new technology into the market which is the first step. Hopefully nvidia responds with a better solution and then in the next generation of cards we see best practice applied and both sides apply even better solutions / developers start supporting it out of the box. That's the ultimate goal.

Personally I was considering 5870 Xfire but will likely wait till the next gen to upgrade my single 5870. I'm happy with it right now. I liked ATI's working solution as an introduction to multi-monitor gaming though. If Xfire was required, I think most people would not have taken the plunge due to money issues. But now that I've experienced multi-monitor gaming, I am willing to invest more in the future to have that feature.

I have previous posts in this thread and am the the owner of 2 gtx 480's. No cheering here, just stating something. If Nvidia can compete with eyefinity it will be a huge success, I think the delay is there because they know how important this initial impression will be.

The future of gaming is multi monitor though I have been a bit surprised to see the lack of interest from nividia users. I guess it just shows the natural divide through new product development. This will be hardware supported, hopefully all goes well and we get this soon.

Eyefinity took Nvidia by surprise. I have no doubts about that. Fermi were supposed to be launched in 2009 and Nvidia surround is still not ready. I doubt it was ever planned to release nvidia surround with Fermi initially. Some expressed that they thought it was "only to port SLI Mosaic" over to Geforce and then be done with it, but as we can see, its not that simple.

I also think that its important for Nvidia not to have a greatly inferior solution vs. Eyefinity here, and that this might explain some of the delay. :)

i don't think anyone would mind the wait had nvidia not already told us we would have it in april and shipped fermi with the feature touted on the box.

I hate to be all talk and no byte (pun intended) but nVidia is catching a little bit of a break from me. It might be a few weeks now before I can actually game, so I might as well wait a little while longer.

Some expressed that they thought it was "only to port SLI Mosaic" over to Geforce and then be done with it, but as we can see, its not that simple.

Do you know anything about software development? Just because the technology works in one set of drivers, doesn't mean it's as simple as copying and pasting the code into another set of drivers and away we go. Just because something is a port, doesn't mean it's easy. Of course, it's easier than developing the technology from the ground up. The fact that nvidia is even adding multi-,monitor support this late in the game AND to an older line of cards supports the theory that NV Surround is based off of SLI Mosaic.

Do you know anything about software development? Just because the technology works in one set of drivers, doesn't mean it's as simple as copying and pasting the code into another set of drivers and away we go. Just because something is a port, doesn't mean it's easy. Of course, it's easier than developing the technology from the ground up. The fact that nvidia is even adding multi-,monitor support this late in the game AND to an older line of cards supports the theory that NV Surround is based off of SLI Mosaic.

I'm not quite sure what you are protesting about here. Did you read the post you quoted?

Yes especially as you never expressed your own thoughts only mentioned what others had as most people would have heard on tech forums. Yet he practically attacked you.

I will only care when someone gets PLP orientation working. The bezels are just too much with 3 small monitors, not enough vertical height, and it's too big of a loss in games where you need to go single monitor for some reason and are limited to one crappy monitor. I'd rather have the side monitors just be a supplement to a 30 incher instead of making them a critical part of the experience where it's a huge loss when either the game doesn't work or it runs too slow maxed.

I will only care when someone gets PLP orientation working. The bezels are just too much with 3 small monitors, not enough vertical height, and it's too big of a loss in games where you need to go single monitor for some reason and are limited to one crappy monitor. I'd rather have the side monitors just be a supplement to a 30 incher instead of making them a critical part of the experience where it's a huge loss when either the game doesn't work or it runs too slow maxed.

I hope someone gets PLP working as well. There are many who are not ready yet to give up their 30" and just want to add to the picture. So far, only softTH and Eyefinity in windowed mode works with PLP.

Guys what kinda connection are we going to need IF ANY to hook up 3 monitors for NV surround ? Are we going to need a $100 adapter like we do with Eyeinfity ? Because I just spent $109 for an Accell active dp/dvi converter but I know the gtx 480's dont even have that output ?

Anyone have any idea how its going to work ?

Guys what kinda connection are we going to need IF ANY to hook up 3 monitors for NV surround ? Are we going to need a $100 adapter like we do with Eyeinfity ? Because I just spent $109 for an Accell active dp/dvi converter but I know the gtx 480's dont even have that output ?

No adapters needed. That's why SLI is required, for the extra display connections.

Is that a fact or just something that you are assuming because I cant find any info. If thats the case, thats awesome.

Its logic. Eyefinity doesn't *need* an adapter, the 5xxx series has 3 to 6 actual monitor connections. You only need an adapter if you need DVI. Nvidia's cards only have 2 monitor connections per card. Where is the 3rd going to come from if not from the second card in SLI?

Is that a fact or just something that you are assuming because I cant find any info. If thats the case, thats awesome.

DVI connections require additional hardware timings that something like displayport does not. Thats why 5XXX cards can do 3 connections with 2 dual-link DVI and a third displayport.

Nvidia needs 2 cards because they can only output 2 dual-link DVI connections per card due to hardware restrictions. This has been known for quite a while so I forgot where the original source was, but I believe it was straight from Nvidia's mouth during PAXEAST or some other convention, cebit maybe.

i highly doubt NVS will need adapter.

for ATI, you need adapter because you are not using native DP monitor. its call "Converter".

I believe there are getting a lot more monitor that support DP straight out of box.

Its logic. Eyefinity doesn't *need* an adapter, the 5xxx series has 3 to 6 actual monitor connections. You only need an adapter if you need DVI. Nvidia's cards only have 2 monitor connections per card. Where is the 3rd going to come from if not from the second card in SLI?

DVI connections require additional hardware timings that something like displayport does not. Thats why 5XXX cards can do 3 connections with 2 dual-link DVI and a third displayport.

Nvidia needs 2 cards because they can only output 2 dual-link DVI connections per card due to hardware restrictions. This has been known for quite a while so I forgot where the original source was, but I believe it was straight from Nvidia's mouth during PAXEAST or some other convention, cebit maybe.

i highly doubt NVS will need adapter.

for ATI, you need adapter because you are not using native DP monitor. its call "Converter".

I believe there are getting a lot more monitor that support DP straight out of box.

Well, that about settles that lol. Thanks for the info guys. Guys where do you check for the latest nvidia news about drivers and such ? I know the ATI dudes have a twitter account and they update the public on the latest drivers and beta drivers coming out. When will this god damn nvidia surround shit come out lol.

I'm not quite sure what you are protesting about here. Did you read the post you quoted?

Yes I read your post, though this might have been a case of reading comprehension fail too early in the morning on my part :D Originally I thought you were suggesting that NV Surround was in no way related to SLI Mosaic, now I see that you were saying the port of said technology was not as simple as it was originally thought it would be, which I agree with. My apologies.

Yes I read your post, though this might have been a case of reading comprehension fail too early in the morning on my part :D Originally I thought you were suggesting that NV Surround was in no way related to SLI Mosaic, now I see that you were saying the port of said technology was not as simple as it was originally thought it would be, which I agree with. My apologies.

Happens to all of us. No problem. I'm glad it got cleared up. :)

Back