nvidia surround?

It's not unprecendented that companies have lost class action suits or simply pressured and fined by the FTC for advertised features promised by a certain date or products that were delayed by significant amounts of time.

Didn't a bunch of people just recieve free ATI cards as part of the HDCP-ready class action lawsuit? And I'm reminded of the 80s when the Intellivision Keyboard was promised for months to purchasers of the Intellivision so they could have a fully fledged computer but they could never get it finished and in mid-1982, the FTC ordered Mattel to pay a monthly fine (said to be $10,000) until the Keyboard was in wide distribution. Mattel never got the keyboard out, they fudged out a cheaper alternative to get the FTC off their backs.

I'm trying to do a build for a friend of mine, he wants 3 screens + hopefully 2x gtx470. They need to get these drivers out before I start ordering parts, or my friend is going to have to deal with 5850's! :)

OT, but...high five for the Intellivision reference.

I typically find my time is better spent on things that are productive rather than worrying about class action lawsuits and what not. Just seems a terrible waste of time and resources to get some trival monies back years from now. I'm not saying these companies should do whatever they want and get away with it unabated rather I'm suggesting to be reasonable and allow for things to go wrong. Give them some time to make it right and then when or if it doesn't cry foul. I mean really, if your so annoyed at the timeline go buy AMD's cards and do eyefinity forget nvidia. If it's that important and you must have it now you DO have an alternative. So no problem. Sell the 470'480's your rollling with you can still get what you paid for them and move on. See? easy no?

It's one thing to miss the deadline. It's another to miss the deadline without any explanation. nVidia might be working on it, but this little piggy is still thinking about calling Best Buy and trying to get a refund for the GTX 275 I bought a few months ago (when they were actively advertising that Surround would work on GT200 cards). It is a clear open-and-shut case of false advertising now, especially for GTX 470/480 owners with advertisements on the box about the technology.

No offense to Kyle, but I seriously doubt nVidia would want to talk to you.

After repeated praising ATI for Eyefinity (rightfully so), after reviewing the GTX 470/480 and basically saying that ATI was the better value unless you wanted to go for a GTX 480 SLI, and after that "nFinity" editorial where you promised to "personally lead the mob with the burning torches to the castle gates"...nVidia probably does not want to give HardOCP more fuel for another article that does nothing positive for nVidia's PR.

Uh, just a quick edit that nVidia has taken down any and all references to when the driver will be released on their main webpage for Surround. They are not giving a time estimate now. The April estimate still shows up on the detailed system requirements page though.

Last edited:
It's one thing to miss the deadline. It's another to miss the deadline without any explanation. nVidia might be working on it, but this little piggy is still thinking about calling Best Buy and trying to get a refund for the GTX 275 I bought a few months ago (when they were actively advertising that Surround would work on GT200 cards).

My guess would be they aren't gonna do a whole lot for you, since that feature was neither advertised by BestBuy, on the product packaging, or even the product manufacturers website. As I'm sure you know, Nvidia themselves do not retail video cards, they only sell the chips to other manufacturers, who then determine how to use them, and what features to add or remove (overclocking, stock or reference pcb design, monitor connections, spdif passthrough support, etc). A feature added on by the chipset manufacturer through a software update is by no means implied by Best Buy or the video card manufacturer. So good luck to you sir, it's a long shot.

No, I don't work for any parties related to this topic, lol.

Yeah, I know it is a long shot...but there is no harm in trying at this point. My local Best Buy is (surprisingly) fairly helpful with all this stuff and at least a few of their Geek Squad members know about Surround. They were nice enough to refund me on a purchase of a GPS last year...it had a battery failure and there were a good number of people that had the same issue with that particular model. Though it probably helped my case when Best Buy found out that the most recent map updates did not recognize my local Best Buy anymore :D.

Either I get the money back and get an ATI card (or two) or I don't get my money back and I wait for Surround drivers.

Just placed my orders for a third monitor and an active DP->DVI adapter. Now I just need to pick a 5870 and order from NewEgg. Yup, ordered a 5870 and it should be here in a few days at about the same time as the third monitor. If the 5870 isn't enough for three monitors, I'll just have to buy another next month. Two GTX 275's that'll be up for dibs soon :D.

Last edited:
I really hope that Nvidia didn't pull a dickhead move and only tout software surround to appear to compete with the eyefinity feature on ATI cards. The concept of 3D surround is a nice one, but its lack of support is making people more and more aggitated

The real question is, will ati have support for 3d-eyefinity before nvidia get theirs off the mark.

nVidia sure opened a "can of whoop ass" didn't they? On themselves. By this time next week I'll be cruising with my Eyefinity setup, and demoting my GTX cards to a CUDA rig that might be lucky to be on for a few hours a week.

Still thinking about ordering a 2nd 5870.

All I'm saying is the cards just came out a few weeks ago. They had a delay and haven't communicated with their customers as they should have agreed, but we know they are working on it.

And how do you KNOW that they are working on it if they haven't told us a single peep? Are you taking it on blind faith or did a 'little bird tell you'? Come on now. An indefinite delay is not acceptable. If the drivers are going to be a month late or even two months late, Nvidia should just come out and say that.

If the drivers aren't ready yet what can ya do. Hold a gun to their head? It's really not a big deal. Now, if another 4-6 weeks pass and no drivers and no communication then start to cry. Until then chill out. That's all I'm saying guys.

Nope, but people who paid money for those video cards and expect the advertised features to be working can write in and complain. You sure you don't get paid by Nvidia to tell people to shut up whenever Nvidia fails to deliver on their promises? Sure starting to sound like it. Anything that team Green does has to be golden, right? Riiiight... :rolleyes:

Hmm, sounds like a fun pole, who will get there first, ATI with the addition of 3d or Nvidia with the addition of multimonitors?

Maybe it's time Kyle runs another article about the lack of nVidia drivers? Or maybe at least ping them again?

It's one thing to miss the deadline. It's another to miss the deadline without any explanation. nVidia might be working on it, but this little piggy is still thinking about calling Best Buy and trying to get a refund for the GTX 275 I bought a few months ago (when they were actively advertising that Surround would work on GT200 cards). It is a clear open-and-shut case of false advertising now, especially for GTX 470/480 owners with advertisements on the box about the technology.

honestly was anyone expecting it to be on time? i mean hell we are talking about the Fermi.. a card that should of been released in October of 2009 without a single reason coming directly from nvidia why the card was delayed.. at some point Nvidia is going to or already starting to regret ever releasing the Fermi card.. its been cursed since the beginning..

but at the same time i think we are all realizing now why ATI used the display port for the third display and hardware+software multi-display and not some hybrid SLI software only multi-display that nvidia is using..

but at the same time i think we are all realizing now why ATI used the display port for the third display and hardware+software multi-display and not some hybrid SLI software only multi-display that nvidia is using..

The thought crossed my mind, that maybe nVidia is ready to go with this except that they cannot get acceptable performance out of it.

It would be interesting to see marketing data on Fermi sales pre/post driver fail date.

Exactly, it sucks for people who have put their money into Nvidia because if the drivers flop so will the value of the card.

Exactly, it sucks for people who have put their money into Nvidia because if the drivers flop so will the value of the card.

It would be "funny" if after long delay they released this driver and it would start killing GPUs just like that stupid driver few months ago.

Fermi is cursed.

The thought crossed my mind, that maybe nVidia is ready to go with this except that they cannot get acceptable performance out of it.

It would be interesting to see marketing data on Fermi sales pre/post driver fail date.

you know another thing that crossed my mind as well.. remember how ATI's had problems with running eyefinity in crossfire? who wants to bet that nvidia is having the same exact problem ATI had.. though on the other hand because ATI did design eyefinity to run on a single card it worked from the beginning.. but in the case of nvidia you are forced to use SLI to run Nvidia surround..

I guess I'm in wait and see mode. I almost got dual 5870 because I erroneously thought that I'd be able to use a DVI out on the second card to get around the DisplayPort silliness that Eyefinity has. Am I correct that a GTX 470 SLI setup will allow my 3 DVI setup for Surround without the stupid Active DisplayPort converter hassles? Honestly that's soooo stupid it's a total dealbreaker for me with the ATI cards... I even had them ordered on Frys.com for in-store pickup but they canceled for lack of stock. I guess I lucked out.

I really hope Nvidia gets its driver act together.

Stole this from another thread. Looks like nvidia surround wont make it in the first 256 driver release.

QUOTE (Freelancer852 @ May 3 2010, 09:01 PM)
Just out of curiosity ManuelG, will the non-3D Surround features (to clarify, we're wondering about the ability to use our three monitors with SLI enabled) be included in the first 256 series drivers? I know that myself and a good friend of mine have been eagerly awaiting these new drivers in hopes that we can retire our SoftTH hacks in favor of an officially supported solution. If you're allowed to comment on this subject it would really put our minds at ease, we have no problem waiting a couple more months for this either."

^^ random kid on the forum.

"With the initial launch driver, this will not be supported but it will with a future driver. There will be two modes, NVIDIA Surround and NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround. Obviously the difference is one will use NVIDIA 3D Stereo technology and have hardware requirements similar to the current NVIDIA 3D Vision hardware requirements. The other is NVIDIA Surround which is what you are referring to which will support three displays or projectors synchronized together in landscape or portrait mode. All three displays must run at the same resolution, refresh rate and sync polarity. "

^^ manuelG ( from nvidia )

Sucks :/

That's it. We're basically talking false advertisement now :(.

Glad I'm not holding my breath for Surround anymore :p.

Stole this from another thread. Looks like nvidia surround wont make it in the first 256 driver release.

QUOTE (Freelancer852 @ May 3 2010, 09:01 PM)
Just out of curiosity ManuelG, will the non-3D Surround features (to clarify, we're wondering about the ability to use our three monitors with SLI enabled) be included in the first 256 series drivers? I know that myself and a good friend of mine have been eagerly awaiting these new drivers in hopes that we can retire our SoftTH hacks in favor of an officially supported solution. If you're allowed to comment on this subject it would really put our minds at ease, we have no problem waiting a couple more months for this either."

^^ random kid on the forum.

"With the initial launch driver, this will not be supported but it will with a future driver. There will be two modes, NVIDIA Surround and NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround. Obviously the difference is one will use NVIDIA 3D Stereo technology and have hardware requirements similar to the current NVIDIA 3D Vision hardware requirements. The other is NVIDIA Surround which is what you are referring to which will support three displays or projectors synchronized together in landscape or portrait mode. All three displays must run at the same resolution, refresh rate and sync polarity. "

^^ manuelG ( from nvidia )

Sucks :/

unbelievable.

At this point I really think nVidia owes its customers some answers. Or at least a buyback program :p.

Even if the drivers aren't going to be out for another two months, give a time frame and what they'll do about it if they miss another deadline.

Those with tri or quad SLI, you will have to wait longer as well.

manualG said:
Tri-SLI and Quad-SLI will be supported however the initial 3D Vision Surround launch driver will only support two way SLI. Tri-SLI and Quad-SLI will come through a driver update.

Last edited:
One of my friends wanted to buy 2x 470 to use NV Surround.
I showed him this thread.
He just ordered 5970.

Sounds like Nvidia doesn't want to get caught lying 'on the record'. Wish they'd just stop being coy and just come out and say, "Yo, we're sorry drivers are going to be late, but it'll take at least another 2 months'. Or whatever the timeframe is.

Nvidia is releasing this half-cocked driver with a missing feature to create a grey-area on the false advertising issue. They can then claim that they are delivering on at least part of the feature, then string out delivery of 3D Surround until later, even much later. Getting anything out there asap that can be called "3D Vision Surround" is their strategy and what their legal/litigation team is advising them to do right now, no doubt.

They're rushing the driver out half-finished -- and I'd bet my hat even 3D Vision Surround works on only 3-4 games once the 256 drivers are released.

I went on record 2 weeks ago saying that not only will the driver be late but it will also suck when it arrives and be full of missing features. I know these guys like the back of my hand. ATI plays from the same book. Don't count on having the surround features 100% until EOY.

Disgusting. I had no immediate plans to go three-monitor, but this fiasco, combined with other arrogant shenanigans Nvidia has pulled recently, means that my long string of buying Nvidia cards has come to an end. Next purchase will be ATI.

i would just change to the ATI camp, but it's just too expensive with 100.00 adapters on top of my new card purchase. looks like it's softth for now. :(

i would just change to the ATI camp, but it's just too expensive with 100.00 adapters on top of my new card purchase. looks like it's softth for now. :(

I already paid $100 for that god damn adapter too before I decided to switch to SLI GTX 480's. Well Im glad I bought it because this 480 SLI setup I like soo much is going back. It renders my 2 monitors useless for god knows how long now. I cant sit here and wait for nvidia's bullshit any longer.

I cant believe nvidias fucking bullshit approach. I honestly can not believe a company this big does not come forward to the public and announce SOMETHING, ANYTHING about this. I find that INSANE. ATI's catalyst and driver makers all have those bullshit twitter accounts BUT at least they post up news everyday or so to keep everyone informed.

Needless to say, im forced to return these cards now. I hate to do because I love the sli gtx480 setup but enough is enough.

So if I read those two different posts of his correctly, 1x and 2x support for 3d surround will be out with 256.xx but no 3x and 4x support till later. However, standard surround is 1x only in 256.xx with 2x 3x and 4x support to come later (although you are going to need a 2nd card sitting there doing no rendering just to have three monitors) :eek:?

Correcto mundo Mr Bennett. And my GTX 480 SLI's are getting returned within the next 2 hours. I am soo disappointed.

I wish I had something better to tell you than, "Sorry I suggested it." :( Don't like letting you guys down.

Ahh shades of January 2007 again when nvidia obfuscated their readiness with their vista drivers. What a giant clusterfuck that was. Vista-ready devices being sold with no vista drivers or at the very least a very basic vista driver with little to no functionality. If I recall, it took them a good 3-6 months to get their heads out of their asses with that fiasco. Lucky for me I plan on using my th2g for the next 9-12 months anyway while the 3d technology matures but I do feel for all you early adopters who are getting the shaft.

Back